1-6: "Doris is Dead" or "Are We Rich or Are We Poor?" 2009.08.09 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 11:06 AM

Tanya takes umbrage with Jemma for bypassing her service to set up "dates" directly with Ray. Still upset about a decision to put down her dog, Jessica confronts Ronnie about their finances, learning that times may not be as tough as he's made them out to be. After Jemma prods Ray to open up about himself, he gives his basketball team an inspiring pep talk. (TVMA) (AC,AL)

Indigo Belle

Indigo Belle

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 10:16 PM

How long before Jemma goes from mysterious crazy to scary crazy....?

SheenieB

SheenieB

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 10:41 PM

How long before Jemma goes from mysterious crazy to scary crazy....?

I think she's already there. Ray's a prostitute, not a pretend boyfriend. It's one thing to have a fantasy, but going to therapy too? Yeah she's riding on that crazy bus. Ray's a damn fool for letting her into his personal life. Now he'll never be rid of her. Also, once she gets on the " I will not be ignored, Dan" level, she can blackmail him since she knows his real name, what he does for a living, and where he works.

marko52

marko52

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Lawyer, reader of books, smoker of cigarettes, drinker of scotch, and teller of tales. Liberal, but a damn good shot with a .45.

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 10:42 PM

It must be a guy thing. I was so busy noticing how hot Natalie Zea is, I forgot to notice how crazy her character is.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 10:54 PM

Yeah, I think she crossed that line when she brought Ray to the therapy session with her without preparing him. She's apparently got some unaddressed issues with a man in her life that she's using Ray to try to work through - but there's no way it's going to end well for Ray. He's going to seriously regret sharing so much about his real life with that whack job.

I LOVED Tanya's "I see the resemblance in... the eyebrows?" line to Damon. Now that she's raised the point aloud, I wonder if the show will continue to address the issue.

StolenC

StolenC

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 11:19 PM

It must be a guy thing. I was so busy noticing how hot Natalie Zea is, I forgot to notice how crazy her character is.

THIS!!! A beautiful sexy rich woman actually giving me money for sex and wishing to continue to do so? Yeah I can put up with some quirks.

I think this is the episode that finally sold me on the show.

Indigo Belle

Indigo Belle

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 11:35 PM

I think it is a guy thing. My husband normally watches the show as background noise, and tonight he was wholly absorbed. When I started making noise about how reckless Ray was being with his personal information, my husband sympathized because of how pretty Jemma was.

This is the episode that completely won me over, too. It's also the first one I didn't find depressing.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 11:55 PM

It was hilarious when he kissed her after the game, like it was his victory.

He was leaving him befuddled and exasperated when she was a customer.

Now he wants to get involved with her?

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 11:56 PM

I'm afraid there'll be repercussions for letting Jemma know too much. I can't tell if Ray's just having fun with her around or if he's falling for her. He's definitely intrigued by her. I really like Tanya and do not like Jemma causing rifts between her and Ray.

I LOVED Tanya's "I see the resemblance in... the eyebrows?" line to Damon. Now that she's raised the point aloud, I wonder if the show will continue to address the issue.

I wonder, too. Glad to see someone within the show bring this up. Although I noticed early on how different the kids seem from the parents, I can see resemblances now, especially when you add Jessica's mother to the mix.

It was nice seeing some sports action even if a little cliched.

trashophile

trashophile

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 4:05 AM

Well, the reactions are more interesting than the show. She's been so totally implausibly crazy from the get go that I've been bored with her. Yes, SheenieB, Fatal Attraction came quickly to mind. Although that character seemed sane for the first 12 hours. I fell asleep watching, am ready to give up on the show.

But the reaction of the male viewers?!?!?!? Fascinating.And I was so busy thinking she's crazy I don't even find her attractive.

Edited by trashophile, Aug 10, 2009 @ 4:06 AM.

insaneman

insaneman

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 6:30 AM

I am a male viewer and if I were to be a gigolo, I would have the same reaction as Ray. If that hot crazy woman wants to be obsessed with me, fine. It's not like Ray has anything stable in his life anyway.

Besides, if anything, I think the crazy woman wants Ray to just be a client because when he offered to do her for free, she pretty much says then it wouldnt be as much fun.

If I am Ray, I would go along with it , and at some point I think she gets bored of him if he plays it right once she runs out of challenges(I think getting his real identity was kind of like a power trip for her). At that point, he has made decent enough money off of her.

Chainlightning

Chainlightning

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 7:13 AM

I can't tell if Ray's still playing a role or buying into the fantasy or actually being honest...and I think that's a testament to Thomas Jane.

What hit me last night, though, was Tanya's reaction to everything. From the way their first client treated her ("Then I pay nothing!") to the way the seminar guy treated her, and now the client bypassing her and going directly to Ray, she's easily being marginalized from the business...even as she meets and maybe bonds slightly with Ray's ex-wife and son. I bought the loneliness Tanya was feeling and felt sorry for her when the businesswoman blew her off in the lobby. I think Tanya saw being a pimp as a way to be assertive and strong, and maybe have some control in her life over something, but now Jemma is bypassing the middleman...Jane Adams sold it very well.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 9:41 AM

I feel sorry for Tanya, too. She has no power. She's practically invisible. And yet... Damon seems to like her. I wonder if something will develop betw them. Damon is pissed at the guy taking his sister away from him, and Tanya is completely marginalized in her own life. I don't see Tanya getting sexually involved with him, however.

Anyway, I get so mad at these beautiful, powerful women -- Jemma, Lenore -- who walk all over Tanya. Granted, Tanya basically asks for it. She needs to learn how to be more assertive. It's like she knows what she's supposed to say, but she doesn't know what to do when the other person pushes back. Actually, she is stronger around men -- Ray, Floyd -- than women.

He was leaving him befuddled and exasperated when she was a customer.

Now he wants to get involved with her?

Like Ray said, Jemma is his good-luck charm. She showed up at the game, and he was energized. He rallied the team, inspired them, and won. Of course he wants to be with her! I'm not so sure he loves her. He doesn't even know her. But she makes him feel powerful and competent. She's like a drug.

I want to see Molly again. I want RAY to see Molly again.

insaneman

insaneman

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 10:51 AM

I think Tanya was being an idiot for putting herself into that position of being walked all over. Thomas Jane's character was being honest enough with her to tell her when she was getting paid. Going to the lady's business was ridiculous on her part. She should have consulted with Thomas Jane that she was going there.

Tanya should have just told Thomas Jane that she was quitting instead of throwing a hissy fit. I did like the fact that she and the misfit son seemed to get along well.

uclagirl

uclagirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 1:18 PM

Going to the lady's business was ridiculous on her part.

I do like the consistency of no one returning Tanya's phone calls, though. She is, after all, the least intimidating pimp ever.

Cameltoes

Cameltoes

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 1:46 PM

I think Tanya was being an idiot for putting herself into that position of being walked all over. Thomas Jane's character was being honest enough with her to tell her when she was getting paid. Going to the lady's business was ridiculous on her part. She should have consulted with Thomas Jane that she was going there.

I agree. She found Jemma and she's entitled to her commission for any subsequent meetings. Ray is an honest enough guy so really - who cares if Jemma deals with him directly? This is not exactly a big time operation and her demeanor and appearance make that pretty clear.

IS right about Ray being reckless in divulging personal information and that is something important enough for her to dig her heels in with him about. If Jemma or some other client decides to out him, it's not just his ass on the line but hers as well.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 2:35 PM

All of these characters are so pathetic I'm not sure who I'm supposed to be rooting for here. It is obvious Tanya has unrequited feelings for Ray. Did she actually expect him to come over to her place and pop popcorn and watch movies with her? Jemma is delusional and Ray's an idiot. So far the only character I'm actually finding somewhat entertaining is the ex-wife. And the promos seem to suggest my speculation about her eventually becoming a client was correct.

They really lose me when the go to sports analogies, too. A last minute pep talk elicits an 11th hour surprise victory for the team? {Insert eyeroll here.}

uclagirl

uclagirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 2:42 PM

It is obvious Tanya has unrequited feelings for Ray. Did she actually expect him to come over to her place and pop popcorn and watch movies with her?

I thought the same thing. And not only did she seem to expect him to, she seemed to take it for granted that he would show up for that.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 5:57 PM

Tanya appears to be developing feelings for Ray. Last week she drunk-dialed him after being "rejected" by the motivation speaker (forget his character's name but he's probably better known as Banya on Seinfeld, the guy who demanded a dinner with jerry).

Then she proposed that he come over so they can watch movies together?

So it's not about controlling the business when she tries to insist on booking through her. Besides, it's a little early for Ray and the client to work around her isn't it? Jemma is like the second or third client?

She slept with Ray early on, then was put off by Ray telling her she screamed too much. She made a point of telling him his technique was nothing special. But now that they've come to know each other more, there could be an emotional dependency developing on her part.

redrobin27

redrobin27

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 6:12 PM

I always thought Tanya had feelings for Ray. Beyond the whole "I wanna make a million dollars and leave my hellish temp job" rationale, I truly believe Tanya went into "business" with Ray as a way to be close to him. It certainly wasn't to build a legitimate business - well, as legitimate as one can get being a pimp (did they ever nail down a percentage for her? Last I heard was "Whatever.")

Also, why in the blue blazes is Ray's pimp visiting him at work - in a school, no doubt? They can't talk on the phone during breaks? Or in the evenings? And why would she just show up at his place without calling? Knowing he has kids? WTF?

I also find the notion of a hot woman trumping blatantly batshit a tad disturbing. It's one thing if Jemma was stealth with the crazy. I'm not sure how much more "on the nose" her dysfunction can be. Interesting indeed, given how women seem to get the bulk of criticism regarding the lack of common sense about the opposite sex.

At least Ray's getting paid for it, although why he decided to cross the line with Jemma while calling Lenore a bitch is completely befuddling to me. And he didn't like her before she refused to pay for the sex. If Lenore was controlling, then Jemma is completely off the charts. Maybe because Jemma strokes his ego in the midst of pulling his strings.

Nevertheless, I covet Jemma's wardrobe. Especially the boots. At least she's stylish with her crazy, which I can appreciate.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 6:36 PM

I'm not yet convinced that Jemma is crazy. She certainly seems to have it all together professionally. So, what is she doing personally? She's paying a man to role-play for her. She apparently has unresolved feelings about another man (men?) in her life whom, for some reason, she can't confront directly. I wouldn't call it crazy that she uses a surrogate to get those frustrations out of her system in a therapy session, if that is indeed what she's doing.

Maybe she's just bored in her personal life and wants to have an elaborate fantasy. Heck, just using a "gigolo" can be a fantasy in itself. Anyway, so far I don't really see her as crazy. She seems to know what she wants. Despite the therapy session surprise, Ray knows by now that this relationship consists of a lot of pretending, so she's not really leading him on. She seems pretty much above-board. It does seem, however, that Ray's getting carried away and forgetting that this is a business arrangement.

One thing that may happen is that Ray tries to take the relationship more seriously, and this causes Jemma to lash out in some way.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 7:18 PM

Despite Tanya's feelings about Ray, she is an emotional mess. Just a week ago she was the go-between with Ray and Jemma. She tried to help Ray understand a woman who seems virtually non-understandable. The advice she gave Ray may or may not have helped the situation but now that she's cut out, she's seems so lost and scattered. Although injecting herself into Ray's family was all kinds of wrong, it was nice to see her a little bit happy. But the lines between what Tanya perceives as business and whatever she feels for Ray are very blurred.

redrobin27

redrobin27

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 7:25 PM

Maybe she's just bored in her personal life and wants to have an elaborate fantasy. Heck, just using a "gigolo" can be a fantasy in itself.

I'd probably agree if she wasn't so insistent in knowing Ray's real identity and paying him to insert her into his life. She crossed over the fantasy aspect and pretending, IMO, with that. If it's just a fantasy, why the need to know the manho's real name and other profession?

Professional success is just that, IMO, and not necessarily an indicator of normalcy (which I admit is relative, lol). All crazy people don't advertise it, and can even have their own internal logic. Not to mention that they usually don't believe they're crazy. Jemma fits the bill on all accounts to me. OMMV, of course.

Cameltoes

Cameltoes

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 7:31 PM

(did they ever nail down a percentage for her? Last I heard was "Whatever.")

I think they finally settled on 25%.

Tanya appears to be developing feelings for Ray. Last week she drunk-dialed him after being "rejected" by the motivation speaker (forget his character's name but he's probably better known as Banya on Seinfeld, the guy who demanded a dinner with jerry).

Then she proposed that he come over so they can watch movies together?

I'm not quite convinced that she has actual feelings for Ray. I kept going back and forth throughout the episode and by the end I wasn't convinced. I do agree that she is responding to rejection (which she got from both Floyd and her mother) and loneliness by emotionally latching onto Ray.

Merlando

Merlando

Video Archivist

• Interests:Television, baby!!!! All hail!

And reading. And writing. And learning French. And other fun stuff to spread around.

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 7:32 PM

Besides, it's a little early for Ray and the client to work around her isn't it? Jemma is like the second or third client?

Yeah, I honestly think Jemma's a client or two too soon. It's way too soon in what has been a good season for the crazy, though I've loved the actress since Dirty Sexy Money and they are acting this out very well. I can't wait to see the fall out.

Tanya struck me as less lovesick and more friend-sick...this woman has a shit support system, sketchy guys are dumping on her, women she was told to envy and emulate in life ignore her calls...and while Ray laid down his pipe a few times there he feeds into her need to take care of people more than he ever will sexually. I do hope she gets her pimp hand right and tight by the end of the season.

This episode made me enjoy Ray even more...though I do hope he doesn't touch his ex ever again.

Two Dollar Toll

Two Dollar Toll

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 8:39 PM

Loved the episode as I do all the episodes of this series, which as a 40-something male, speaks to me.

Ray falling for Jemma is really interesting. I think in some ways she is another game he wants to win -- she represents a chance to end his real-life losing streak. I am not hopeful that she looks at him the same way.

I think this episode asks the question, What happens if you break the rules of other people that don't work for you? The truism about men going to prostitutes not to get women but to get rid of them may pertain in reverse here. By Ray becoming emotionally attached, he is breaking Jemma's rules, just like Jemma is breaking Tanya's rules.

Ex-wife Jessica also broke the rules by going through her husband's private things. I don't think that is going to work out for her either.

I felt so bad for Tanya. Tanya and Ray together in bed earlier was really hot, and I am rooting for them to get back together.

uclagirl

uclagirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 8:57 PM

Ex-wife Jessica also broke the rules by going through her husband's private things. I don't think that is going to work out for her either.

I think the real problem is that the two of them don't trust each other. He doesn't trust her, which is why he won't tell her anything substantive, and she knows she can't trust him to be honest with her or treat her as an equal--he's more than demonstrated that, between the way in which he had the dog put down and the way he said "Is there something you want to buy?"

I'm not sure I have a huge problem with her going through his papers to find out what she can about their finances. He won't answer a direct question about them; how else is she going to know?

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

I'd probably agree if she wasn't so insistent in knowing Ray's real identity and paying him to insert her into his life. She crossed over the fantasy aspect and pretending, IMO, with that. If it's just a fantasy, why the need to know the manho's real name and other profession?

You may have a point. Still, I'm not ready to label her crazy yet. Perhaps her desire to know his reality has to do with her need for control, to be the one with power in the relationship. She needs to know everything and wants to withhold information from him in order to keep the upper hand.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2009 @ 2:40 AM

I'm not a guy so I noticed the hot and the crazy. I watched her on DSM and she wasn't this hot.

As I was watching, I thought she's crazy. Maybe not BSC but something's not quite right there. I can get behind having this elaborate fantasy but setting him up in the therapy? And then demanding to know real facts about him? Strikes me as kinda crazy. But I could be persuaded doing all of this is just her way of controlling things in her personal life.

This needs to blow up in Ray's face b/c a) isn't the first rule of prostituting is not to fall for the client? I think it's professional and personal for him. b) Tanya's right, there are rules and parameters, especially at this point in time.

I feel bad for Tanya and at the same time I want to shake her and say, "GET IT TOGETHER!!" I can't be persuaded either way that he likes likes Ray or just wants him to be his friend.

I'm still not sure why there are SLs involving the ex? Don't care.

I feel sorry for Tanya, too. She has no power. She's practically invisible. And yet... Damon seems to like her. I wonder if something will develop betw them. Damon is pissed at the guy taking his sister away from him, and Tanya is completely marginalized in her own life. I don't see Tanya getting sexually involved with him, however.

Mr. Nice said it first: he thinks Damon might have a crush on Tanya. I just think that would be hilarious. A kid has a crush on his dad's pimp.

I do hope she gets her pimp hand right and tight by the end of the season.

That made me laugh out loud.

The last thing I'll say is I think Ray comes off as a idiot for telling Jemma real facts about him. And he comes off as a jerk for finally caring about his team to rally them to a win. Not that surprising about the jerkiness since he's been that way before. JMHO.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Aug 11, 2009 @ 1:23 PM

No one in this show comes off looking good. Ray, The ex (I don't remember her name), Tanya...they're all more than just a little bit off. Maybe not Ray so much as he's just trying to keep it together. But certainly Tanya and the ex.

He seemed interested in making for of a connection with Jemma at the end,too. Not just one-sided.