Giuliana & Bill

• Please log in to reply

1607 replies to this topic

pigeon

pigeon

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 2:47 PM

PolkaDotty Now that Giuliana, in her 30s, has made this news public, it can encourage more women who may think it could never happen to them, to pay attention.

I just can't see her thinking this is some kind of "good" publicity for herself and Bill. This is real life.

I agree. As much as I think that Giuliana should take it easy right now, it might actually be somewhat helpful to film what they are going through. To sort of put a face to breast cancer and show the process of treating it emotionally and physically. I'm sure it must be terrifying for both her and Bill, but having it documented and seeing the reality of it play out on TV might be somewhat therapeutic for them AND those at home going through the same thing.

What they are going through now is REALITY. There is no pussyfooting around cancer. And if airing her fight helps someone get to the doctor, or take better care of themselves, then it might be worth it. I wish her the best.

Edited by pigeon, Oct 21, 2011 @ 4:40 PM.

caverona

caverona

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 7:24 PM

The poor girl was incredibly thin as is and now to have to fite cancer? Good luck and better health wishes to her.

txtoyqueen

txtoyqueen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 5:20 PM

I read somewhere online that she actually had a lump in each breast but both lumps were successfully removed. I do hope she gets the rest she needs to help her battle this awful, awful illness.

Fabricationary

Fabricationary

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 1:27 PM

G&B were on the Today Show this morning announcing that she's having a double mastectomy.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 6:59 PM

The interview today was the most "real" I've seen them. The tender, affectionate rubbing of her shoulders and expressions from Bill when G was speaking were moving. The information and candid point of view G gave was very valuable and I think she is doing a great thing by speaking out about this.

A shallow sort of silver lining in all this is that she's been looking so much prettier. Her face is less gaunt and she is less bony all over. She also wears much more muted colours in her hair and makeup. Instead of looking skeletal, her beauty is returning (with her new sense of priorities).

Edited by anonymiss, Dec 5, 2011 @ 7:01 PM.

eblairj

eblairj

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 12:33 AM

I agree, it's refreshing to see such candor from them when their lack of "realness" was my biggest complaint about their show. Sending positive thoughts their way as she undergoes the mastectomy and recovery.

BornForThis

BornForThis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

The new season started this week - surprised nobody commented on it yet.

I was always a big fan of the theme song to this show and I was kind of surprised (but not really considering the circumstances) that they removed the line "I love the end of every day with you, for worse or for better" :( it makes sense to why they removed it obviously, but it made me sad.

The first episode was a rehash of what had happened since the diagosis and I definitely shed some tears.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

I kind of found this epi to be boring. It's old news already.

sweetbuddy

sweetbuddy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

G's super long hair, cascading down either side of her shoulders while she's sitting and doing the one-on-one interviews, looks unnatural and awkward to me. It resembles a scarf or a vest or some sort of accessory, because of it's length, rather than hair!

Edited by sweetbuddy, Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:12 PM.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Strangely, I find Guiliana much prettier this season. Bill however looks extremely tired..and scared. Many years ago, before I was born, my mom had a cancer diagnosis. They didn't tell her she would most likely die within a few months, but the doctor did tell my father. Looking at pictures from that time frame, my dad has a lot of the same look Bill has. Fortunately they were wrong and mom did live a long life. I hope Giuliana is as lucky.

ButterQueen

ButterQueen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

I tried, I cannot get into this show. I don't like either G or B.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I only knew Bill from the old "Celebrity Apprentice" days and had no opinion of Giuliana after passing by her doing various red carpet, Joan Rivers, etc. things. Didn't really see the appeal or pay much attention to either of them.

I accidentally stumbled on this show and stopped to watch a bit, knowing of the cancer diagnosis. I have to say that, as someone who -does- watch "Bethenny Ever After", I was impressed by Giuliana and Bill's relationship. To me, it seems genuine and loving, and was quite a contrast to the way Bethenny Frankel treats her husband on reality television (he is like a less career-driven Bill, imo--attractive and kind, but B's husband, like everyone else in her life, makes it "all about Bethenny". I thought Giuliana and Bill had a much better balance, a give and take, and that real love came through.

It was sort of startling, after being so used to 3 seasons of BEA, but I felt the caring was real so, good for them. And good for the way they've dealt with the cancer on camera. They make it look easy to talk about and educate people about, but you see the anxiety underneath and it's NOT easy. Wish them the best.

rml24601

rml24601

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

I'm home from work nursing a broken ankle, and there's very little to do- so I end up watching a lot of tv these days. For some reason, I'm completely hooked on this show & have watched the newest episode several times.

My thoughts:
  • I totally don't blame Bill for not wanting Guiliana's family staying w/them overnight; at the same time, he should give her a break and let her have her loving, close family stay w/her, I'm sure it'll make her feel better.
  • I'm completely mesmerized by how everyone pronounces G's brother's name, 'Pasquale', it's like "Pash-schkwah-lay" and I think I need to make it my new mantra.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

I'm completely mesmerized by how everyone pronounces G's brother's name, 'Pasquale', it's like "Pash-schkwah-lay" and I think I need to make it my new mantra

Is that the correct pronounciation? For some reason I thought Bill was deliberately exaggerating it and that it had sort of turned into a family joke type thing.

Edited by ish, Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:53 AM.

dupreesgal

dupreesgal

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

Really G, are you so worried about SODA? Good grief. These two need to watch the Little Couple.....

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

The soda thing got me too. Control freak much?<div><div><br></div><div>Not sure I would go forward with a gestational surrogate before I knew the future looked good. Bringing a baby into a possible long term illness/recuperation situation seems like added stress and pressure for them and the baby. Nor would I agree to be a surrogate under those circumstances.

Edited by ish, Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:08 PM.

escapingreality

escapingreality

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

I love these two, and I love this show.
But yeah the soda and "processed foods" thing? Get over yourself. It just seemed so judgmental and condescending. I suppose they can afford to pay plenty extra to get a gestational carrier who will be more than willing to eat and drink what they say, but still. Just the way she lumped in processed foods (a huge part of most people's diet) with the alcohol concerns rubbed me the wrong way. She probably has a nutritionist, chef, personal assistant, all the "people" that make it easy for her to eat right and "clean". Some of us have about 30 minutes between 2 jobs to throw something together for the family on our way out the door. It's not like we're so beneath people who have the luxury of being able to provide clean, organic, delicious balanced meals for their families 3x/day. Bleah.

I also loved how they had soda out as the drinks of choice for the Conceivabilities women's visit during that first meeting as they were asking the soda question. ;p

Not sure I would go forward with a gestational surrogate before I knew the future looked good. Bringing a baby into a possible long term illness/recuperation situation seems like added stress and pressure for them and the baby. Nor would I agree to be a surrogate under those circumstances.

Meh, she's going to be completely fine. They caught the cancer super early, and she had a double mastectomy. It's gone. It's not like she's going to have chemo or radiation to hopefully get rid of it.

reed83

reed83

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

She also tweeted yesterday that she hasn't had a single sip of soda in 7 years. Not to be a completely insensitive asshole but Guiliana, you have cancer and are infertile. How much worse can it get? I am all for clean living as I eat organic whenever possible and try to make my diet as healthy as I can but maybe you gotta let go a little bit. In a world where women addicted to crack and Snooki can get pregnant being a control freak about diet may not be all it's cracked up to be. Her fake smile at the woman from the gestational carrier agency as she stated as much was hilarious. I started watching this show as someone that is struggling with infertility herself and it is comforting to know you are not alone out there. But sometimes it's really hard to relate to Bill and Guiliana. Especially as they jet around the country obviously unencumbered by the financial hardships that most infertile couples wrestle with in addition to everything else. The previews from next week seem to suggest the carrier failed to get pregnant but that might be fancy editing.

Mari2009

Mari2009

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

I was annoyed by the no soda and no processed food as well. I found it very condescending. Sometimes, pregnant women have cravings or morning sickness and the only thing that helps is ginger ale or crackers. This woman is putting her life and health on the line to gestate a baby for Guiliana, if she wants a Sprite, so be it. Also agree that Guiliana's clean living still didn't prevent health problems for her.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Guiliana grew up eating Mama DePandia's lasagna. Not having a sip of soda in 7 years means nothing, not when she has starved herself to the point of near emaciation. She had to be forced to gain weight to even have hope for a pregnancy. In her mind being skinny means being healthy. Bill is looking awfully thin too.

Especially as they jet around the country obviously unencumbered by the financial hardships that most infertile couples wrestle with in addition to everything else.

They must spend a fortune on air fare. First class tickets to Denver/Chicago/LA on a day's notice? Can't be cheap.

Edited by ish, Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:58 AM.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

Oh the stupidity of people who claim that "processed food" is evil because almost every fucking food that is eaten is "processed" in some way unless she is out there foraging for nuts and berries - and by her skeletal frame I wouldn't be surprised.

Same goes for claims of "organic" without knowing more about the actual food or "free range". Plenty of organic junk food at Whole Foods.

Giuliana appears to be a nice person but she also has an eating disorder which while it might not rise to the level of being anorexic/bulimic shows a disordered relationship with food. Yeah I know in this universe there might be a few women with 5% body fat who are "naturally" thin but almost never at her age. And the honest celebrities admit how rigid their diet and exercise plans are and how restricted their food intake is to maintain their bodies.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Giuliana appears to be a nice person but she also has an eating disorder which while it might not rise to the level of being anorexic/bulimic shows a disordered relationship with food.

There are plenty of scenes of Giuliana with a huge plate of salad in front of her, Bill has made pointed remarks to her about eating '"all that" and she assures him she will. That pretty much tells me she isn't a member of clean plate club. i wonder if her weight was a part of the decision to go straight to a double mastectomy? I would think at her size chemo and radiation would be brutal, I'd worry her body couldn't handle it.

yslchyc

yslchyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

i wonder if her weight was a part of the decision to go straight to a double mastectomy? I would think at her size chemo and radiation would be brutal, I'd worry her body couldn't handle it.

Did they ever indicate whether she had the gene for breast cancer? I know a few women - especially younger ones - who have opted for mastectomies rather than deal with the uncertainty of breast cancer. My friend's daughter is in her 20's and just was diagnosed - younger than Giuliana and another friend with the gene has a daughter who is contemplating having prophylactic mastectomies and then a prophylactic hysterectomy after she has had children because the risk is so escalated for her.

They must spend a fortune on air fare. First class tickets to Denver/Chicago/LA on a day's notice? Can't be cheap.

Well obviously the 1% have it better on so many levels in terms of medical care (as well as other stuff).

The air fares are probably expensed to the production since they are part of the storyline so they aren't covering costs.

Giuliana would have AFTRA health insurance which is incredibly generous in terms of benefits in terms of actual medical procedures.

Missy Vixen

Missy Vixen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

I also wondered how Giuliana could endure chemo and radiation at her size. She refused to gain weight to sustain a pregnancy; somehow, it's hard to believe she could keep enough weight on to get through the treatment.

Someone needs to tell Bill to lay off the cigars. I don't care if he's smoking them outside.

rml24601

rml24601

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Guiliana grew up eating Mama DePandia's lasagna.

I was thinking about this- I wonder about the dynamic between the old-school Italian mama who pushes food on her ducklings 24/7 and G's super strict, disordered-eating habits.

But yeah, the soda thing was mad annoying. Also, why did Bill keep mentioning he's worrying about the surrogate smoking crack?? Why crack??

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

A couple of helicopter parents in the making, for sure.

Nobody's saying we should go back to this and I apologize for trotting it out, but my mother smoked and drank and probably ate Cheeze Whiz and doughnuts throughout her pregnancies, as did an entire generation of women in the 40s through 60s. Not sure why G has decided that soda is the undiscovered link between pregnancy and a future life of disease, crime, and failure to get into an Ivy League school.

Aside from that and the fact that I wish to god she'd lose about 8" of that hair and cut some bangs to soften her forehead, I've been very drawn in to their story this season after not watching much last year. G seems to be handling cancer so much more maturely than she did getting a stupid shot or planning a baby shower. Of course then she was back to her flaky self trying to walk across that log. You were in a safety harness, G! If you fell, so what.

Edited by queasy, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:57 PM.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

I generally like Bill and G and feel sorry for her illness, but no way would I agree to be a surrogate for her. She doesn't seem to understand that you don't own the surrogate. Also, the private eye jokes were just over the top. Of course you would want the surrogate checked out, but is she supposed to have an eating disorder to match Guliana's?
Like other have said, it's easy to be super picky about food when you are wealthy
but for the rest of the world not so much. If someone drinks a soda or two the baby would be just fine. People have babies all over the world with terrible diets due to not having enough food. I just don't see this working for Bill and Guiliana.

Edited by Maddingcrowd, Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:36 PM.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

Guiliana grew up eating Mama DePandia's lasagna. Not having a sip of soda in 7 years means nothing, not when she has starved herself to the point of near emaciation. She had to be forced to gain weight to even have hope for a pregnancy. In her mind being skinny means being healthy. Bill is looking awfully thin too.

Did she even gain weight? I haven't watched this show in years, but I do watch Fashion Police. I saw the episode where she was bitter about Snooki being able to get pregnant and all I could think of was the episode of this show when her doctor told her to gain 10 or 15 pounds because it would increase her chances dramatically and she acted like the guy was telling her to go kill kittens or something. That was probably one of the last episodes I actually watched and really the last I remember watching. Of course Snookie can get pregnant. She's young and hasn't starved herself to death. She certainly hasn't ever looked like she took the doctor's advice and gained a few pounds. Cuz, you know, it would be a tragedy to be a size 2 instead of have the size 0 clothes hanging off of her skeleton.

meisja

meisja

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:55 AM

Did they ever indicate whether she had the gene for breast cancer?

They didn't, which makes me think it wasn't part of the equation, only because if there were other cases of breast cancer in her family and a BRCA connection, she would have already been having regular testing from an early age. I tend to agree with others here that it was partially an issue of, again, losing control over her body in order to get a result.

She and Bill seem very suited to one another since they both are always moving, flying, "challenging" themselves and really, to the point of neuroses, fixated on control, control and control! It could almost be a drinking game while watching - a shot for every time "control" "forge" or "pros and cons" show up - even the concept of relaxation needs to be scheduled!

She also tweeted yesterday that she hasn't had a single sip of soda in 7 years. Not to be a completely insensitive asshole but Guiliana, you have cancer and are infertile. How much worse can it get? I am all for clean living as I eat organic whenever possible and try to make my diet as healthy as I can but maybe you gotta let go a little bit.

HA, I have to agree with you on this one! Again, she/they are obsessed with the things they can control, but speak to none of the other illness-contributing factors: flying (I think 1 six-hour flight is equivalent to 46 x-rays... so that math is impressive), moving/renovating, the constant working out and project undertaking (they are like hamsters on a wheel with these and put such a high positive value on them that they totally ignore the toll). In addition to her weight, nothing at all about their lifestyle says "ready for a baby." I mean this in a physiological sense, not that all sorts of busy people don't get pregnant - but that shouldn't be viewed as the norm anymore. I just wonder why they have really sacrificed so little in terms of lifestyle and letting go of rigidity to recognize their dream, but think that tons of shots, procedures and flying here and there to the latest expert is working so hard to get pregnant?

Not sure why G has decided that soda is the undiscovered link between pregnancy and a future life of disease, crime, and failure to get into an Ivy League school.

I watched part of her E! True Life Story last weekend and was thinking that it might make me like her more as a person to hear more about her past and education as that's been mentioned either on the show or somewhere, but it didn't really have that effect. Probably the funniest part of it was when she was re-telling the story of how she got hired by E! and the person addressing the staff told them that they all needed to be "more irreverent" like Giuliana. Giuliana said "I was so excited! The first thing I did was run to the computer and google "irreverent"! So, even a Master's in journalism won't get you an education, let alone whatever you might be drinking! (For the record, I'm anti-soda, except for the occasional ginger-ale or something that claims to be healthy if everyone else is drinking something like a cocktail and I'm not.)

I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to surrogacy, but I actually assumed that agencies like one that B&G would be working with might have very stringent requirements for surrogates and might insist on certain food restrictions, but after thinking about it, that seems very difficult to do. It also appears that the risks of pregnancy in women over 35 or 40 seem to completely outweigh much less clean lifestyles in younger women. It's not fair per se, but it does seem to be just how it is.

The piece that's missing for me is the part where G&B sit the hell down and feel things: not make lists, order take-out, plan the next appearance, go to see a doctor, open this business or plan that fashion line, etc. And for people who go on and on about faith, faith, faith and having to accept how things turn out, has it never occurred to them that their might be some genetic condition or some problem that will not allow them to conceive? That it's not some kind of religious punishment or lack of goal-setting, but something that is truly out of their hands - or any doctor's?

Does anyone remember The View appearance from a year or two ago when they said they were looking into surrogacy and such, but in this episode I swear Giuliana said that she had never truly considered surrogacy before. These two just strike me as so fixated and personally defined by their own PR that they don't know which way is up sometimes.

I appreciate the hardships that they're going through but I don't see either as victims less deserving of tragic life events, I've just seen them happen to too many people. And I really want the show to be likable, but the pace just drags and drags, like they have about 3 episodes' worth in an entire season and everything else is filler.

Sunfire

Sunfire

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

I love this show, G&B are great. I so hope they get their baby this year. I can't stand to see them face another disappointment. They're good people, they need something good to happen!!