Ultimate Cake Off

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

49 replies to this topic

norahcynthia

norahcynthia

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 10:06 PM

Anybody else watch this Food Network Cake Challenge rip-off? Personally I thought it was pretty lame. What I especially didn't like was the annoying and yet typical TLC added drama. I just wanted to see people make pretty cakes, which it was impossible for them to do since two teams had to lose time by sitting out 30 minutes. So lame. The cakes didn't really look like much when they were done either.

kapu

kapu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 11:17 PM

Word. As a previous poster so eloquently put it in the Cake Boss thread: FAKE MCFAKERY. When will these shows realize we just want to see great cakes? Not a lame ass surprise challenge so someone can sit out for 30 minutes. Drama.

I also have to say that I am really on the fence about whether Ashley cut her finger or not. I hate to be so cynical, but years of trolling this site have led me to the dark side. She was just so blase' about it at first ("Stephen, I cut my finger opening this beer can, here, hold my Virginia Slim"), that I paused and rewatched it in slo mo 5 times. When her left hand came up from behind the shark, I could see her thumb already wrapped in white. So, if she did cut her finger, it led me to believe that she'd already cut it and the cameras had missed it.
However, what makes me doubt myself on THAT point is this: right after said cutting, the cut seems to just jump thumbs. First she has the tissue on one thumb and she complains about cutting herself, and not in a sexxxxy Angelina Jolie sort of way. Then in the next frame, the tissue moves to the other thumb. It was like they couldn't decide which thumb they should cut. Later on, they show someone painting on liquid bandage, and I thought I could see a light cut, so she probably really did. I guess that's a testament to how much we are manipulated by the media that I even doubted it in the first place.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else is as bored as I am at 10 pm and decides to TIVO this and rewatch it. Maybe I was looking for things to hate on, but I really wanted to like this show.

Edited by kapu, Aug 3, 2009 @ 11:20 PM.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2009 @ 1:22 AM

Bleh. Ultimate Cake Rip-Off.

Endeavour

Endeavour

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2009 @ 6:24 AM

I checked this out as well. It's difficult not to compare it to the show it's ripping off. It seemed so forced.

I was surprised to see that there were 3 assistants for everyone. I didn't really care for any of the judges. The skills tests were fine but they need to either make the penalty less severe or change it to a slight advantage - like the winner gets an additional 10-15 minutes or something.

From what I could see of the cakes, I was really surprised Ashley didn't win it.

Overall, very bland.

Faxinator

Faxinator

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2009 @ 7:50 AM

Surprisingly, I liked it. I enjoyed the twists they threw in, with the two 30 minute "penalty" timeouts. In the end, however, those two penalties don't amount to anything when compared to the FNC because while FNC typically gives competitors 8 hours, UCO gave competitors 9. Since 9 hours minus two 30 minute penalties equals 8 hours, it was pretty transparent what they were doing there...

Anyhow, like I said, I actually liked it. I was surprised that Tariq's cake won, even though it was the one I would have personally picked. I think "hiding" the logo and the sculpture itself being so dark were essentially the two key factors that moved the choice away from Ashley's cake. It just wasn't as "festive" as Tariq's.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2009 @ 8:35 AM

While I am not usually in favor of surprise twists thrown in to the competition, I did like the inclusion of some consideration of the quality of the cake flavor, which usually gets ignored in these contests, which are all about the decorating. I was surprised that Ashley would put limoncello in a cake that might be eaten by kids (maybe I am off base about who would attend an event like the one the cake was made for)

Edited by Rickster, Aug 4, 2009 @ 9:02 AM.

Pleasesendpants

Pleasesendpants

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2009 @ 9:04 AM

I thought this show was an audition to see who would replace the shitty Cake Boss. But these people were also terrible. Nice try TLC, but I'll still take Duff and Food Network Challenge.

What would TLC do if the Food Network started running "The Tiniest Tart Maker" about primordial dwarf pastry chefs?

kapu

kapu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 4, 2009 @ 10:01 AM

While I am not usually in favor of surprise twists thrown in to the competition, I did like the inclusion of some consideration of the quality of the cake flavor, which usually gets ignored in these contests, which are all about the decorating.

Oops, forgot about this. I actually did like this addition. These cakes are supposed to be eaten, so the flavor should count for something. Again, however, I have to say that I feel strongly that these 30 minute penalties don't add anything to the show except created drama. Sure, they take away an hour, which essentially makes it the same time span as FN, but one competitor actually got the full 9 hours- Richard? Robert? Not sure of his name. So I'm not sure I agree with putting each competitor on unequal footing. I just wanna see some cakes, you stupid network!

The skills tests were fine but they need to either make the penalty less severe or change it to a slight advantage - like the winner gets an additional 10-15 minutes or something.

LOVE this. Why don't you work for TLC?

Endeavour

Endeavour

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

those two penalties don't amount to anything when compared to the FNC because while FNC typically gives competitors 8 hours, UCO gave competitors 9. Since 9 hours minus two 30 minute penalties equals 8 hours, it was pretty transparent what they were doing there.

I wondered if the FNCs were 8 or 9 hours while I was watching. It's true that even if one competitor gets both 1/2 hour penalties, it will just bring it down to the 8 hour mark, but it still gives the other competitors a 1/2 hour to 1 hour advantage. That's a lot of time - so I still think it's quite a disadvantage. I guess going forward the competitors will know to go in with an 8-hour plan just in case. With two extra assistants though, they really do have much more time than the FNCs.

LOVE this. Why don't you work for TLC?

It would certainly be more interesting than my current job!

awshucks

awshucks

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 5, 2009 @ 6:53 AM

I really did not like the two woman judges. Did you hear the one say that Tariq's team had to "pick up some speed" while transporting the cake? Geez.

This was really lame compared to FNC. I did like that they had a cake tasting but I agree with whoever said upthread that it should be a time advantage rather than a disadvantage for the others.

I am surprised that Tariq's won over Ashley's because I thought hers was a lot better. I get their complaint over the hidden logo but not the one where hers was too dark. Oceans are dark. So are aquariums.

I wonder if you have to choose between being on FNC or UCO.

Edited by awshucks, Aug 5, 2009 @ 6:55 AM.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2009 @ 10:14 AM

Huh - this was a weird show. I'm a sucker for cake competitions, but this one was strange. I didn't like how they lit it. I did like the skills thing though - that was a neat twist.

BTW, on Food Network they also do cake tastings, just not all the time.

I would have picked Ashley's cake over Tariq's just because it looked more intricate and amazing. I thought his was childish looking as well, and they dinged the other guy for that!

I laughed when they introduced the Cake Diva woman judge as "one of the best" or something like that - that cracked me up! On Amazing Wedding Cakes last year her and her partner's cakes were the worst! Just like Reva's are this year....

Now if it was one of the Cake Girls, or Christopher Garren, or even the NY lady I would maybe agree...but not a Cake Diva!

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

I laughed when they introduced the Cake Diva woman judge as "one of the best" or something like that - that cracked me up! On Amazing Wedding Cakes last year her and her partner's cakes were the worst! Just like Reva's are this year....

I had to check the TLC web page because I thought you were talking about THE "Cake Diva" (the black lady) and I almost had a heart attack at the thought of her judging cakes. Wooo, what a relief.

Edited by ChocolateCherry, Aug 5, 2009 @ 12:40 PM.

Endeavour

Endeavour

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2009 @ 6:33 PM

Did you hear the one say that Tariq's team had to "pick up some speed" while transporting the cake?

I thought she said that because were having some difficulty moving the cake and she thought it would be easier if they weren't going so slowly.

I am surprised that Tariq's won over Ashley's because I thought hers was a lot better. I get their complaint over the hidden logo but not the one where hers was too dark. Oceans are dark. So are aquariums.

I was surprised too. Plus, she said they tried to put the logo where it would be more prominent but it fell. The judges seemed to think she was making an excuse. Do they remake the cakes for the actual event? I figure they must, but I don't really know. If they do, she could have put the logo where she originally planned. I don't know, I just thought Ashley's cake was on a whole different level than Tariq's.

I didn't think they focused on finished cakes long enough during the show, so I went to the website to check them out. They didn't even put the third guy's cake on the website! Here's the link: finished cakes.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2009 @ 6:58 PM

I finally watched it and I feel inspired to lay off my criticism of FNC for a while.
A ramp? They have to wheel the cake down a ramp? But I'm more salty about Ashley not winning.

Edited by ChocolateCherry, Aug 5, 2009 @ 6:59 PM.

Faxinator

Faxinator

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2009 @ 9:07 PM

I get their complaint over the hidden logo but not the one where hers was too dark. Oceans are dark. So are aquariums.

The problem is a dark cake in a dark aquarium doesn't make for a festive atmosphere. If the task had been to make a cake that looked like an aquarium, then I could see her winning. Since it wasn't, however...

kapu

kapu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 5, 2009 @ 9:19 PM

Do they remake the cakes for the actual event?

I wondered about that too. While Tariq was showing his cake at the end, there were small words in the credits that said something like "The presented cake is not the cake from the competition." So if Ashley had won, I'm sure she could have put the signature sign somewhere else. *Sigh.*

I'll be interested to see what Courtney does next week (if indeed that is her episode). I also saw Norman in the previews, so I'm glad he's better after his ill health in the FN challenge.

Endeavour

Endeavour

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2009 @ 5:49 AM

I also saw Norman in the previews, so I'm glad he's better after his ill health in the FN challenge.

I look forward to seeing Norman. He seems like such a nice guy and I always find myself rooting for him.

abowl

abowl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 11:07 PM

I really did not like the two woman judges. Did you hear the one say that Tariq's team had to "pick up some speed" while transporting the cake? Geez.

Those judges really sucked butt. They seemed really catty with their criticisms and too eager to be a "TV personality," like Simon Cowell for cake.

ITA. Ashley's main problem of the logo was a much easier fix than Tariq's tilting cake. Isn't a tilting cake a red flag in terms of cake maker skills? Ashley's cake was way more interesting and could draw a much bigger crowd than Tariq's. I guess Tariq's win is another reason why those 2 judges were so horrible. Even though the aquarium lady nodded in agreement on who the winner should be, she didn't seem all that convinced.

Nova

Nova

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 12:08 PM

I felt like the judges wanted a 'disneyfied' cake that played to the masses -- not necessarily in a good way. That cake looked like it could have been on a keychain at Sea World, it was that kitschy. I thought Ashley's was truly artistic, though the sign was pretty bad -- but she could have stuck some fondant on a board up in front if that was what they wanted.

abowl

abowl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2009 @ 10:58 PM

Anybody watch the Pirate episode? The guy whose cake totally fell apart - not only did the design suck because of the structure's instability, but even if it didn't fall apart, I didn't understand the appeal of a 5 foot wall of cake.

And I know I'm going to hell for this, but the assistant with the deformed hand COMPLETELY reminded me of the Kristen Wiig SNL singer with the creepy doll hands.

I think I'm only watching this cake ripoff because I'm desperate for TV. Otherwise, I don't think I like any of these judges. Their comments seem really inconsistent and contradictory - they're all just criticising for the sake of criticising. And for the 2 episodes so far, I personally think the judges made the wrong end decision.

Do you think TLC made this show have only 3 contestants competing for $10,000 (while Food Network has 4 contestants for $10,000) to purposely poach potential contestants?

Endeavour

Endeavour

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 6:26 AM

The guy whose cake totally fell apart -

That was quite the disaster. I felt bad for the guy, but it seemed like an easily avoidable mistake if all he had to do was cool down the cake.

Not sure how I feel about the winning cake. I'll have to see if any pics are posted online because I didn't think the other finalist's cake was as sloppy as the judges kept saying.

The whole production of this show seems amateurish. They could also do with a better host. He seems so stiff. Still, I'm watching to see what kind of cakes they turn out.

awshucks

awshucks

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 10:19 PM

I'll have to see if any pics are posted online because I didn't think the other finalist's cake was as sloppy as the judges kept saying.

I agree with this. From what I could see, which wasn't much, the runner-up's cake didn't seem sloppy or disjointed or whatever it was they called it. I liked it and thought it should've won over the winning cake.

This isn't the worst show on TV but I'll keep watching until my viewing schedule gets too full and I can't keep up anymore.

Edited by awshucks, Sep 2, 2009 @ 10:19 PM.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2009 @ 7:15 PM

Saw the one with Norman, Courtney and another girl doing a cake for a square dance convention the other night. I fell asleep before it ended.

I wonder if contestants have to choose between this and FNC now. It was funny how when Courtney won her hat carving contest and had Norman sit out they sorta danced around FNC.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2009 @ 12:14 AM

Was Tariq always this big of an ass or is TLC encouraging him to be a douchebag?

Ultimate Cake off seems overtly aggressive, if not downright hostile. Sure Kerry and Patrick knock the competitors on FN Challenge but they usually don't come off as hateful. But the judges on here seem to go for the jugular. The host/head judge is definately no Keegan.

I still find the 3 assistants odd and the time outs are just silly.

If FN challengers are defectign to TLC because they're tired of FN I wonder how they feel about the antics this show is pulling. I also wonder how long it will be until Bronwen and/or Mary Maher show up on here. Bronwen always seems to be the bridesmaid and never the bride on FN so she may want to try a different set of judges. And I think Mary has done some other wedding cake show so I think she likes doing her cakes on TV.

Endeavour

Endeavour

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2009 @ 6:36 AM

Saw both of the recent eps. I don't care for Courtney. Not exactly sure why that is. She must have come off looking bad on FNC. Her cake seemed to be the right choice though.

Was Tariq always this big of an ass

I was thinking the same thing while watching. I don't remember him being this bad on the FNCs. It's a shame. I used to like him. Now not so much.

I do wonder if there's any encouragement to act that way because it seems like most of the competitors were pretty catty with their comments while watching what the other teams were doing.

Not sure I agree with the winning cake. I preferred Tariq's style overall and wonder if it would have won if it lit up like it was supposed to. I could see the judge's point about the top and bottom of the cake not being connected, but they probably would have been connected if it worked. I thought the winning cake was pretty bad but didn't see the finished product at the event. Maybe it looked better.

The host/head judge is definately no Keegan.

I find him a bit distracting because I finally figured out he reminds me of Phil Keoghan from TAR a little. The whole show is still feeling a bit forced to me.

Belmont

Belmont

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2009 @ 4:34 PM

Did anyone else notice at the end of the credits last night, there was a disclaimer that the cake the people were eating at the Reagan airplane hangar was NOT the competition cake? What do they do with the real cake then?

Did Tariq really call the two other women "tools"? WTH was that about? Anyway, the best cake didn't win again. I thought they got it wrong this week, shark week, and pirate week (well, the customer who was getting the cake got it wrong, anyway). But it is their cake, and the customer is always right, I guess. The judges make some pretty inane criticisms, and the Cake Divas woman I think spends more time eating cakes than making them.

Endeavour

Endeavour

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2009 @ 7:25 PM

Did Tariq really call the two other women "tools"?

Maybe he said fools? Either way, his attitude was annoying.

Did anyone else notice at the end of the credits last night, there was a disclaimer that the cake the people were eating at the Reagan airplane hangar was NOT the competition cake? What do they do with the real cake then?

My dvr cut off the end so I didn't see that. That's interesting. I wonder if they make sheet cakes or other cakes for serving. I thought I read something like that in the Ace of Cakes forum. They have the specialty cake but then have other cakes to serve along with it. I guess it would make sense if there are a lot of people. Also, I would think some of the people running the events would want the specialty cake to be around for a while so people can look at it.

Anyway, the best cake didn't win again

Which cake do you think should have won?

Edited by Endeavour, Sep 15, 2009 @ 7:26 PM.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2009 @ 7:52 PM

I think they mean the cake shown/eaten at the event isn't the one you saw made during the challenge. The winner recreates it for the event.

Belmont

Belmont

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2009 @ 10:07 PM

I thought the other woman's fireworks cake was the best cake. I didn't mind the Uncle Sam cake winning, but Tariq's cake sucked.

heavenlyginger

heavenlyginger

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2009 @ 10:21 AM

Can people participate in both TLC and FN shows? I know many of the people on UCO have been on FN in the past, but I don't know the rules for the current season.