Plot Holes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

348 replies to this topic

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

The same reason the mall Santa is on top of a setup that's ridiculously huge to just be in storage 11 months a year; everything we see is filtered through the adult Ralphie's nostalgia.

Funnily enough, according to Wiki the store where they filmed that scene kept the slide made for the movie and used it for several years afterwards.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 2:05 AM

Going back a ways:

So somehow Craig T. Nelson's character has managed to finish college and become an architect after becoming a father in high school, while supporting 3 kids and a wife. Even making Diane, the mom, 19 when she gave birth would be a stretch, when you consider the reality of most teen parents.

Someone has already mentioned that his character was actually 38, but even a few years younger would not have been a problem. In today's world, that may seem odd, but not so much for people who were adults in the mid-1980s. "Teen parents" weren't always a rarity. It wasn't always necessary for people with professional, even highly technical, jobs to have college degrees, either. Through today's view, we assume that people who get married young inevitably fail at life, but that's not the way the world always worked. I grew up in a family whose members were very similar to that family, in both marriage age and professional jobs.

Schweedie

Schweedie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

I'm watching The Day After Tomorrow (a guilty pleasure for me; I always watch it when it's on) and there's one thing in particular that cracks me up every single time: that huge ship that conveniently ends up right outside the library where everyone's holed up. How the hell did it make it in there? There's just no way, even with the tsunami. There are tall buildings all around it, don't tell me the ship wouldn't have hit one of them and stopped.

Edited by Schweedie, Jan 21, 2012 @ 5:12 PM.

emace

emace

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

This has always bugged me. In Dead Poet's Society Ethan Hawke's character is starting Welton as a senior? But don't most parents send their kids to boarding school a lot earlier? Did he just attend a different boarding school for the rest of high school? If so, why'd he transfer his senior year? And why not start at the same school as his older brother?

I'm assuming the main characters are supposed to be upper-classmen, as they all seem to be familiar with the school.

Edited by emace, Jan 21, 2012 @ 6:14 PM.

absolutelyido

absolutelyido

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

Speaking of Seven (from a couple of pages back), I haven't seen it in a while but the thing that bugged me most is that is pouring rain through most of the movie, and then at the end they drive out of town into the desert that looks like it hasn't seen rain in months.

Edited by absolutelyido, Jan 22, 2012 @ 11:32 PM.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans was on the other night. Every time Mr. and Nice happen to watch the end, we always wonder how Victor manages to live. We can't decide if it's a plot hole or we just miss how it happens.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

Speaking of Seven (from a couple of pages back), I haven't seen it in a while but the thing that bugged me most is that is pouring rain through most of the movie, and then at the end they drive out of town into the desert that looks like it hasn't seen rain in months.

While I love Seven with an intense passion, this has always bugged. And it bugs me that I can't tell where it's supposed to take place, besides "any town with evil lurking about" USA. Sometimes it looks like it's supposed to be a yucky East Coast city, and then the final scene looks like California desert.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

went to see Chronical and liked it - ButThe young hero's mom is dying and even though he can levitate things and fly, for gosh sakes, he's never tempted to see if he can heal her. Trying and failing, would have made a cool scene and explained his later melt down

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

Fincher has described Seven as his love letter to New York.

Rockstar99435

Rockstar99435

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

In The Princess Bride, why/how does Inigo Montoya have his father's sword? According to his story, his father made the sword for the six-fingered man, who killed his father when he demanded payment. Young Inigo challenged the six-fingered man to a fight and then the six-fingered man cut his face and left. But Inigo has the sword as an adult. Wouldn't the six-fingered man have taken the sword he killed for with him when he left?

Edited by Rockstar99435, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:49 AM.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

The six-fingered man could easily have killed the young Inigo. But he chose only to leave him with the lesson of challenging a superior opponent - and presumably the sword, which he obviously never cared about to begin with.

Rockstar99435

Rockstar99435

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

which he obviously never cared about to begin with.

But then why did he kill the swordmaker? Either he cared enough about the sword to kill the swordmaker so he wouldn't have to pay what it was worth or he didn't care about the sword and had no reason to kill the sword maker. The Six-Fingered Man ordered a special sword (I'm assuming the problem was creating a handle that was big enough for the extra finger, but still perfectly balanced) that took a year to make. Wesley/Man in Black says that he's never seen a sword as well crafted. It's supposed to be an awesome sword. So it doesn't make sense to me that the 6FM thought the sword was worth killing over, but then left the sword behind.

I actually ended up looking it up online yesterday and while there is no answer in the movie, in the book, a crowd of people show up once Inigo starts yelling. The 6FM claims the swordmaker attacked him with the sword so he defended himself, thus telling the crowd that the sword belonged to the swordmaker. Inigo's house had no money in it, so the 6FM couldn't claim that he'd already paid for it. And while the crowd couldn't do anything about the rich man who killed the swordmaker in "self-defense", they could say something about him trying to rip the sword out of a child's hand after he murdered the kid's father and injured the kid.

Inigo: I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
Man In Black: (Still holding his boot.) Do you always begin conversations this way?
Inigo: My father was slaughtered by a six fingered man. Was a great sword maker, my father. When the six fingered man appear and request a special sword, my father took the job. (Draws sword.) He slave a year before he was done. (Hands to Man in Black)
Man In Black: (Admiring the sword.) I've never seen its equal. (Returns sword.)
Inigo: Six fingered man returned and demanded it, but at one-tenth his promised price. My father refuse. Without a word, the six fingered man slash him through the heart. (Sheaths sword.) I loved my father, so naturally I challenged his murderer to a duel. I fail. Six fingered man leave me alive. But he give me these. (Points to scars on his cheeks.)
Man In Black: How old were you?
Inigo: I was eleven years old. When I was-a strong enough, I dedicated my life to the study of fencing, so the next time we meet, I will not fail. I will go up to the six fingered man and say, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

A fair point, but if 6-Fingers cared about the sword so much, why didn't he just kill the boy and take it? Personally, I don't really see any of this as much of a plot hole. Just speculation about a weird character who thrived on cruelty (i.e. "The Machine").

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

Wouldn't the six-fingered man have taken the sword he killed for

He didn't kill for the sword. It was a commission; it was his as soon as he paid. The problem was, he tried to stiff the swordmaker with a lower payment, which was refused. He killed Inigo's father for standing up to him.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

I watched Patch Adams, and I have a few questions for the writers.

-As the Nostalgia Critic pointed out, how was he able to maintain almost perfect grades if he never studied? It's medical school, I should think you'd have to be very smart and study like a motherfucker if you wanted to graduate. But we never see him study at all. Even in the study group scene, everyone else was trying to study while he was trying to chat, according to his roommate he wasn't just studying offscreen or something.
-Even if we assume that he's just magic, how the hell did his friends stay in the course while simultaneously running around with him, especially when they were running the clinic? Especially Carin, since early on in the movie, she did pretty much nothing but study, while later on, she ran around with Patch, helped with the free clinic, and I guess studied when she got the chance, and yet somehow she was doing fine
Spoiler

-How did he manage to construct the giant legs by himself in a week? For that matter, where did he make them (he lived on campus) and how did he get them there?
-How the hell did he and his buddies practice medicine without a licence and receive no punishment whatsoever? I'd think that right there would've automatically prevented the court from letting him graduate, regardless of whether he meant well or not.
-Why didn't Dean Wolcott crack down on him a lot more, since he didn't want Patch clowning around inside the hospital and Patch never hestitated before breaking this rule as often and as publicly as possible?
-Why would Dean Wolcott trust Patch to treat the gynecologists with respect and dignity?
-How did he not get caught stealing the medicine by more than those two nurses, since he was so obvious about it?
-Why did the concept of a "bedside manner," not exist in this movie until Patch came along?

Edited by furrylump, Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:51 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

Why did they arm the robots on Westworld with functioning guns and amo?

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

The recent 70th anniversary of Casablanca (a movie that I like very much) reminded me that there is a giant plot hole at the very center of it: how is Victor Laszlo even able to walk around Casablanca a free man? Everyone knows who he is. And he's not just someone the Nazis don't like; he's a Czech Resistance leader who escaped from German custody (namely, a concentration camp). I could maybe fanwank Renault not arresting him, because Renault is as corrupt as the day is long and doesn't bother to do much around Casablanca unless it directly benefits him. But once Major Strasser shows up in town, there's absolutely no reason that he wouldn't have Laszlo arrested or shot on sight.

The movie tries to handwave Laszlo's freedom by saying that "any violation of neutrality would reflect on Capt. Renault," but that's just silly. France had already fallen to Germany by this point in the war. Vichy France (who had control of Morocco at this point) was technically neutral, but in practice they took their marching orders from Nazi Germany. The idea that the Germans somehow felt the need to respect Renault's authority in Casablanca doesn't make any sense. Renault would answer to them, and they would certainly demand the capture or execution of a high-profile fugitive.

Great movie, and I'm certainly glad that Laszlo got away in the end, but it's one of those plots that doesn't make a lot of sense when you really think about it.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Why did they arm the robots on Westworld with functioning guns and amo?

And while the explanation of how the guns in Westworld couldn't harm people makes sense, what about the swords in the other two parks?

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Ok I’m going to go there, The Da Vinci Code. There are many plot holes in that movie but I have an issue with the plot hole that the entire movie rests on. Toward the end of the movie they make this big reveal that the girl is a decedent of Mary Magdalene which they can prove through DNA somehow (don’t even get me started on that one) and that proves she’s related to Jesus because? Seriously I have no freaking idea. Do they have Jesus DNA, like his toothbrush, hanging around? I’ve heard the theories about Mary Magdalene and The Last Supper since I took a basic Art History class in college (apparently I was the only person in America who remembered hearing about this very non secret theory in Art History 101, but that’s another story), but how does this prove she’s a relative of Jesus? I mean if you go with the main stream interpretation, she was a hooker in the days before birth control so it’s not exactly shocking she would have decedents. Even if you go with the theory that she and Jesus got married, he died at 30! How would any of this prove that Mary Magdalene didn’t have children with someone before or after Jesus? Just irks me because it makes no damn sense and they don’t even pretend to explain any of it.

Edited by fuzzybear, Jul 30, 2012 @ 10:03 PM.