Best Movie Friendships!

• Please log in to reply

78 replies to this topic

Midnightsunrise

Midnightsunrise

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 2, 2009 @ 12:59 PM

I have seen some really good movie friendships, some of my favorites.

Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgie( The Lord Of The Rings trilogy)-To me the best literary friendship, in history. I thought the relationship between Sam and Frodo, was the heart of the triliogy. Sean Astin and Elijah Wood had great chemsitry together. I believed every second of their dynamic. It would be hard pressed to find a more loyal friend then Sam was to Frodo. Sam became the brave, strong, protector in the 2 sequals and it was because of feelings towards Frodo.No matter what happened Sam always had Frodo's back, and I do not feel Frodo would have suceeded without Sam. However you look at their bond, it was one of the best friendships ever dipicted on screen, imho.

Doc Brown and Marty McFly (Back To the future trilogy)- They had such a great friendship. It helped that Christopher Lyod and Michael J. Fox had such great chemistry together. I liked the mentor/Student vibe in their interactions. Doc was weird but Marty never saw him that way, and Doc's affection for Marty was very clear and sweet.

Terminator and John Conner(Terminator 2)-It was more father figure/son relationship, but Arnold had a great repore with Edward Furlong, and the Terminator was so protective of John, and learned to be more human because of his interactions, with John and Sarah. Without the friendship between them, the movie would not have worked for me.

Phil, Stu, Dough and Allen(The Hangover)-They where so awesome together. I loved the chemistry between all of the actors. Stu, Phil and Allen, where the funniest trio in a long time, and I loved Allen's sweetness in wanting to be cool like Phil.

Chris Chambers and Gordie Lachance(Stand By Me)-I loved their friendship. River Phoenix and Will Weaton where so great together. I believed they where life long friends. It was sweet but sad, how Gordie found the love, and acceptance with Chris, that he never got with his parents and Chris, was the peacekeeping, cool leader, of the gang to which he got acceptance.

Edited by Midnightsunrise, Aug 2, 2009 @ 1:00 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 2, 2009 @ 6:45 PM

Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh (Lethal Weapon series)
The start of the mismatched cop buddy movies, I loved the way their friendship progressed, with Roger's family basically adopting Riggs. Who was pretty messed up in the first movie. The scene at the end of LW2 with Roger cradling the critically wounded Riggs was one of the best between two men not named Kirk and Spock.
Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch (Appaloosa)
I loved that the way each of them could only talk about anything real was with each other. And Everett's sacrifice in killing Bragg, so Virgil wouldn't find out Ally was a big ol' ho' was oddly touching.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 2:44 AM

Speaking of Lord of the Rings I would have to include Merry and Pippin. The actors became friends in real life and it truly shows in their onscreen chemistry.

absolutqt

absolutqt

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 4:42 PM

Clairee and Ouiser in Steel Magnolias. All of the friendships in this movie are special but this has to be my fav. "Half of Chiquapin Parish'd give their eye-teeth to take a whack at Ouiser!"

Edited by absolutqt, Aug 10, 2009 @ 4:42 PM.

hgalve

hgalve

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 7:45 PM

Anytime Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are doing a movie together I automatically squee. Those two have amazing chemistry together, which isn't surprising seeing that they've been friends for years. There was Ed and Shaun in Shaun of The Dead and Nicholas Angel and Danny Butterman in Hot Fuzz. I loved both friendships a whole lot.

Edited by hgalve, Aug 10, 2009 @ 7:46 PM.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2009 @ 11:06 AM

Since we've already done Steel Magnolias I feel I should add in Caro, Teensy, Niecy, and Vivi from Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. As wacky as they were, I found it touching that they went up to bat and staged all of the crazy stunts because one of their own had a wrecked relationship with her daughter.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 5:59 PM

Robert Redford and Charles Grodin in Midnight Run.

Edited by Limbonaut, Sep 8, 2009 @ 6:00 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 9:22 PM

Robert Redford and Charles Grodin in Midnight Run.

You mean DeNiro.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 1:12 AM

DeNiro and Grodin? Shut the F*ck up! Love the Midnight Run.

I would like to add Walter, Donny and the Dude, from The Big Lebowski. They really tied the room together.

snaggle

snaggle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 3:10 PM

It was a tad dysfunctional, but I vote for Forrest Gump & "His Jenny".

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 11:31 AM

You mean DeNiro.

Sorry! That's who I meant. Aaargh. I hate brainfarts. Anyway the best moment for me in Midnight Run is a small gesture Robert Deniro makes as he's helping Grodin into a car after they see Deniro's ex-wife and estranged young daughter.

LilWharveyGal

LilWharveyGal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 12:21 PM

Anytime Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are doing a movie together I automatically squee. Those two have amazing chemistry together, which isn't surprising seeing that they've been friends for years.

Heh, I saw this thread title and immediately thought of Danny and Nicholarse!

I'd also nominate Elsie (Emily Watson) and Mary (Kelly MacDonald) from Gosford Park. Even though they didn't know each other for long, I love how the worldly Elsie watches out for Mary.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 4:32 PM

Harry (Robert Downey Jnr) and Gay Perry (Val Kilmer) in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Wonderful, just wonderful.

Louisa

Louisa

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 4:47 PM

Ben Stiller & Ed Norton's friendship in Keeping The Faith is just perfect! Two v diffeent young boys from two v different families & belief systems who play off eahother wonderfully and really understand eachother. Stiller on screen normally makes me want to poke sharp, pointy objects in my eyes, but I love him as Jake Schram!

Skinner

Skinner

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2009 @ 12:38 AM

This is an easy one, but with the recent release of The Half-Blood Prince, I have to give a nod to the main trio in the Harry Potter series. While there's plenty to discuss when it comes to each actor's respective strengths and weaknesses, I think the group dynamic is fantastic. Whether they're having fun and joking around, fighting or consoling each other, Harry, Hermione and Ron's bond feels real. I'm sure it helps that Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint have essentially grown up together, but it's great that they can translate their off-screen camaraderie to their characters.

In that vein, I have to give an honorable mention to Daniel Radcliffe and Evanna Lynch for the Harry/Luna friendship, especially in The Order of the Phoenix. The actors' chemistry is astonishing, and I like that they've captured how Luna went from being just the weird girl everyone mocked to a friend Harry valued.

hgalve

hgalve

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2009 @ 9:28 PM

In that vein, I have to give an honorable mention to Daniel Radcliffe and Evanna Lynch for the Harry/Luna friendship, especially in The Order of the Phoenix. The actors' chemistry is astonishing, and I like that they've captured how Luna went from being just the weird girl everyone mocked to a friend Harry valued.

THIS. I was shocked to see how much chemistry those two had together. It made me want to see Luna integrated even more in the books so that I can have more scenes with her and Harry in the future movies.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 12:09 PM

Yeah they really got lucky finding the perfect girl to play Luna. She actually seemed to be her!

Seeing Toy Story 1 and 2 again in 3-D I have to say Woody and Buzz are one of the great movie friendships EVER.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 11:42 PM

Poppy and Zoe from Happy-Go-Lucky. I love how much Zoe is so used to and comfortable with Poppy's very frequent random silly comments and tangents, and that she responds by firing random sillyness right back. The only other character to do that was Tim, the social worker Poppy starts dating, and well, a lot of reviews and such I read thought that although the film's script was very good on the whole, her banter with Zoe was simply too polished, but I disagree. I think that Tim sort of gives us a contrast, like, this is what the random sillyness banter is like between two people who've only just met recently, but with Poppy and Zoe, their banter is noticeably better because they've been near-constantly doing it for years. Considering they live together and work together, that's a lot of practice. And I also love how, despite the abundance of nonsense on both sides, they've got a sort of yin-yang thing going on, with Poppy's sillyness often being very cheerful, while Zoe's sillyness is all delivered in this kind of snarky cynical manner, but you can tell she loves having these ridiculous conversations with Poppy all the same. And I love the huge amounts of HoYay. I mean, they live together, they done a lot of travelling together, they go out together, at different stages Poppy mentions what great boobs and legs Zoe has, Zoe goes with Poppy when she's visiting her sister for the weekend, Poppy intentionally gets a guy to think that they are a couple, and they imply that if they ever moved out of the flat then they would be getting a house together. Were it not for Tim the social worker, I would have thought they're a couple for sure.

Darker example than most, but crazy Sarah and snarky Beth from The Descent. Sarah was in a car accident that killed her husband and daughter, and woke up hallucinating at the hospital, and Beth pulled her back to reality, told her what had happened, and hugged her as she had her breakdown. One year later, when they're going on a caving trip in the US with friends, Sarah's still all timid and damaged, and Beth’s trying to look after her, and has apparently been doing so since the accident. What's sweet is that she's trying to do it without being too obvious about it, but it's implied [and the actress confirmed] that she wouldn't have gone on the trip in the first place if it hadn't been for Sarah. As for Sarah, it's shown that Beth is pretty much all of what's keeping her fragile psyche together. The hospital scene foreshadowed that, but then there's a scene in the cave where Sarah's stuck in a tunnel, except she's not stuck stuck, it's more like she's having a panic attack and thinks she's stuck, but just like in the hospital, she's pretty much trapped by her own mind until Beth comes back, gets her to laugh, and talks her down from said panic attack. Of course, this dependence on Beth means really bad things happen after she dies - and by Sarah's hand, no less, since a fatally wounded Beth requests a mercy kill. Up until that point, with the monsters, Sarah had more or less been like anyone else in her situation would be; terrified, respulsed, and trying desperately to get the fuck outta there. But once poor Beth's gone, she just loses it. She's no longer resembles your regular frightened Final Girl so much as a scary killer robot, or Carrie slaughtering everyone at the prom, except with cave monsters instead of teenagers, and once she's taken revenge on Beth's killer, she pretty much loses any drive for survival, and sits down with her hallucinated dead daughter to wait for death. American changed endings and stupid annoying sequels notwithstanding. Oh, and again, this is a case where the actresses [Shauna Mac and Alex Reid] really bonded, if the making-of vid and cast commentary were any indication, and I think that definitely came across onscreen. Also, I just think that Alex Reid did an absolutely fantastic job as Beth, because being the supportive best friend is a really difficult role to shine in unless the leads suck [they definitely didn't here] so that she did so anyway was really cool.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Oct 23, 2009 @ 3:11 PM

I just re-watched this a couple of weeks ago but the relationship between Joe Buck and Ratso Rizzo in Midnight Cowboy is definitely up there among my favorite movie friendships.

And in Jaws, the drinking/scar competition scene with Quint/Brody/Hooper might be the best friendship-bonding moment ever.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 10:41 AM

No easy feat, considering Quint and Hooper had spent the day at each other's throats.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 12:10 PM

Kirk and Spock in all the Star Trek movies, especially Wrath of Kahn.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 12:52 PM

No easy feat, considering Quint and Hooper had spent the day at each other's throats.

I think that's what made it so good. In so many other movies leading up to a "bonding moment" the antagonism often seems forced or phony, like they're bitching at one another JUST so they have the moment when they sing the same song from the 1960s together in the car. With Jaws the rivalry was natural and so was how they came together.

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

I love the friendship between Don and Cosmo in Singin' in the Rain. The banter, chemistry, and easy camaraderie of two guys who have known each other for years. I also love how they always have each others' back. And we should all be so lucky to have a friend serenade us with Make 'em Laugh whenever we're feeling blue!

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

Redford and Newman in the Sting and Butch Cassidy.

The three leads in Gunga Din. Very manly yet loving.

Dan and John in the Blues Brothers

Redford and Morgan Freeman in An Unfinished LIfe

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

My favroite movie friendships

Ferris and Cameron(Ferris Beuler's Day Off)

Marty and Doc(BTTF series)

Torrence and Missy(Bring It On)

Cher and Dion(Cluless)

Brian and Dom (Fast and Furious series)

The ladies of Bridesmaids

Phil/Stu/Allen (The Hangover)

Harry/Hermione/Ron(Harry Potter)

Sam and Frodo(LOTR series)

Luke and Han( Star wars trilogy)

Benny and Smalls(The Sandlot)

Eric and Sarah(The Crow)

Edited by glorygirl84, Apr 3, 2012 @ 9:04 PM.

MaggieElizabeth

MaggieElizabeth

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

Andy and Red from The Shawshank Redemption certainly deserve a few mentions here. I also really like the friendship between Paul Edgecombe and Brutus Howell in The Green Mile; David Morse doesn't get enough credit for his performance as the funny and likable Howell.

Going back a few decades:

Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers spend most of Stage Door at odds with each other. That's what makes it particularly moving when they finally achieve friendship. The scene in which Rogers visits Hepburn in her dressing room after her hard-won, in-the-midst-of-grieving performance (a direct reversal of her earlier visit) is definitely a tear-jerking moment.

Roddy MacDowall's and Walter Pidgeon's mentor/mentee relationship in How Green Was My Valley is also very moving. (It is NOT this lovely film's fault that Citizen Kane didn't win Best Picture; blame the voters, already!) Interestingly, the same two actors had a similar bond in a very different film the same year, Fritz Lang's Man Hunt.

Loved Wiendish Fitch's mention of Cosmo and Don from Singin' in the Rain. I also applaud how quickly Cosmo accepts and becomes friends with Kathy. None of that "nobody's good enough for my best friend; she'll ruin our man-fun!" stuff that we see all too often in contemporary films. Cosmo genuinely likes Kathy and thinks she's good for Don, and their bond as a threesome is wonderfully apparent in their joyous "Good Morning."

The Miracle Worker is the ultimate female-friendship movie, again because the friendship is so hard-won, with the characters testing and trying each other through most of the film. Hats off to Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke for making it work so well.

The friendship of Charlotte and Tina in Now, Voyager proves a salvation for both characters.

And then, of course, there is the famous "beautiful friendship": Rick Blaine and Louis Renault in Casablanca.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

I like James Bond and Karim Bey(Pedro Armendariz) friendship in From Russia With Love.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Dan and John in the Blues Brothers

I have big soft spot for those two, given how they were friends in real life. The scene where Elwood covers Jake with the blanket was so sweet.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

I'd nominate Peter Dinklage, Bobby Cannavale and Patricia Clarkson's characters in The Station Agent, it was great seeing this friendship growing between three very different people, two of whom at least had been avoiding contact with others. It was really sweet in particular seeing how fascinated Cannavale became in Finbar (Dinklage) and his interests.

I also love the friendship between Romy and Michele in Romy & Michele's High School Reunion. They were so great together. I love when Michele sees Romy being mocked by the A-group and goes over and has her back. Their friendship with Heather Mooney in the end was great to see too.

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

Roddy MacDowall's and Walter Pidgeon's mentor/mentee relationship in How Green Was My Valley is also very moving. (It is NOT this lovely film's fault that Citizen Kane didn't win Best Picture; blame the voters, already!)

*whispers* the better movie won that that year. Yeah Orson, I said it.

Aw I love Romy and Michelle. "I'm the Mary, you're the Rhoda." Lol

Rob and Josie in Never Been Kissed. Despite Rob being a failed ball player and coining the dreaded "Josie Grossie" name, Josie always looks after her brother and when she fails to be popular going undercover he helps her out to achieve her mission. Granted he also wants a second shot at being a ball player but the way they come through for one another is sweet.

Mike, Trent, Rob, Sue and Charles in Swingers. Yes Mike needs them all. Trent gets him back out there with hilarious/disastrous results, Both Rob and Sue give him a much deserved dressing-down about shutting the eff up about his ex, Charles tells him when a place is dead.