Love It or List It

• Please log in to reply

815 replies to this topic

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 3:30 PM

I saw one during the mini-marathon today where the guy was pretty nasty to both Hillary and David. He wanted an open concept from the kitchen to the dining room but not the usual open concept L/R - D/R. They had a pretty small reno budget and when Hillary couldn't give them a new mansion he actually said that she was crazy. I'll admit Hillary wasn't the nicest to him either but he attacked her personally.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 1:54 PM

Ahahahaha. I was looking around facebook with their new emoticons for status messages and don't ask me how I stumbled on this and if this was posted previously, I don't know HOW I missed it but did any of you know that the Jaswal family has a fan page on FB of their very own?

I guess there's proof that everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame, preferably to last twice that! And they have 73 followers! heee

I hated that episode, and more than half of the family were rude and annoying!

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

Last night's episode floored me. I didn't catch the names, but their house was an old Cape Cod style with slanted ceilings in the second floor bedrooms, and they had to use two bathrooms to get ready for work because neither bathroom had all fixtures working. The wife was laying it on thick about how much she wanted to stay, how inferior David's houses were. In reality, their house was a disaster, messy and disorganized, horrendous kitchen, cut up into small spaces, with ancient furniture and decor. It really pointed up how fake the premise of the show is. They wanted an open concept first floor, new bathrooms, a new kitchen and (I think) a finished basement with an office. There were asbestos abatement problems, so Hillary could only do the first floor and one bathroom. She did a great job with what she did, but that leaves the upstairs and basement looking like they belong to an entirely different (and much less nice) house. OK, so the hoemowners could reno the rest, but they apparently never bothered with routine maintenance on the house, so I tend to doubt they'll suddenly change. Also, the post-reno price was a huge joke, given the condition of the rest of the place.

It wouldn't have been so bad except for how they made the wife act, like she just couldn't bear to leave her house. Anybody else would jump at the chance. I would enjoy this so much more if they cut out the histrionics and faking up the numbers.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

Oh yes, the Asbestos house. This is the one with grown men living with them (their sons) that also couldn't be bothered to help them either. This family annoyed the ever-loving shit out of me!

yanksno1

yanksno1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

Just caught the show this morning for the first time. It was the Indian family with all the daughters. They were all gorgeous, but man you could emphasize with the the father being the only male in that household.

Do they always do the renovation before they make their decision? Or was that just editing? I couldn't imagine doing a renovation if they already decided they were going to leave.

It sucked they couldn't put in the oven in the basement, cause that would have been the best situation. I kept thinking that the 2 younger daughters should just move out (wasn't sure how old they were, but the one did have the catering business). When they showed the 2 houses, thought that was the best choice after the renovations but in the end it did seem like they wanted to all stay under the same roof after all.

kimaken

kimaken

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

I watched the "new" episode on Monday evening -- the couple living in an older farmhouse. I missed the early part where they list what they want in a new house or to stay in the current house, so I don't know if wood-burning heat was on either list. However, I was so mad at the husband when they came to see Hilary for an early update and he was upset that his old woodstove had been removed so he demanded to have a wood-burning source installed in the house. Hilary ended up losing a bunch of the budget to facilitate this demand so that the wife ended up not getting anything that she wanted upstairs (better function of the rooms and an upstairs bathroom)! The only saving grace was that the couple was not snotty or rude to Hilary, but I thought the guy was still a total jerk for insisting on the wood-burning heat source installation and THEN deciding to LIST the house! This show makes me so mad at the stupidity of these people, and yet there I am every Monday night watching the episodes--repeats and "new" eps! LOL

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

I thought the same thing about the wood burning stove. I would not be happy not having a bathroom on the same floor as my bedroom.

I hate when they are nasty to Hillary.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

Do they always do the renovation before they make their decision?

Within the "reality" of the show, yes, they do the reno and then the homeowners decide whether to love or list. Within the reality of actual reality, the decision is already made when they sign up for the show. All the bitching and moaning, the horror about what Hilary can't do because of unforseen problems, the disgust at David's choices of houses to show them, and the tick-tock drama as they make their difficult decision is for the entertainment of the viewers.

I will never understand people's attachment to wood stoves in the house. It's messy and troublesome when you can have the warmth and a flame from a gas fireplace. Save the wood fire for the back yard in the summer, which this guy could do if he lives in the country.

I thought the guy was still a total jerk for insisting on the wood-burning heat source installation and THEN deciding to LIST the house

I realize it's all faked for the storyline, but I wonder how it affected the sale of that house. Although having a wood stove in the middle of a room was worse, so I suppose he was ahead.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 7:01 PM

I will never understand people's attachment to wood stoves in the house. It's messy and troublesome when you can have the warmth and a flame from a gas fireplace.

I didn't see the episode yet, so I can't comment on him, but after not having a woodstove until I moved to VT, I can tell you that I'll NEVER want to heat with anything else if I am given a choice. Heat goes up a chimney when you use a fireplace but not with the woodstove, if properly dampened down/vented. I LOVE it so much and it is so much cheaper. Heating our house with gas would cost about us around 2500 for the six months we typically run our woodstove vs about 1000 we've spent so far for the entire season. I say so far because it's still cold enough to need a fire at night.

That said, I'll never understand why these people take a hissy over something that Hilary is doing if they're going to list; similar to that lady that insisted Hilary change all her plans because she HAD to have a professional chef's six burner stove that weighed so much Hil had to strengthen the floor, meaning no extra bathroom (? I think?) and then they supposedly listed it.. GAHH

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

I saw a show yesterday with a woman who ran a business from her home that her 4 children helped out on. It involved a lot of balloons and ribbons so guessing a party planner? Typical old house with lots of problems that knocked out half of the proposed renovations. But Hil managed to trick the garage out to include custom storage and glass case for the live flowers. At the point, it'd been hard to imagine the homeowner "listing" instead of "loving".

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

Within the "reality" of the show, yes, they do the reno and then the homeowners decide whether to love or list. Within the reality of actual reality, the decision is already made when they sign up for the show. All the bitching and moaning, the horror about what Hilary can't do because of unforseen problems, the disgust at David's choices of houses to show them, and the tick-tock drama as they make their difficult decision is for the entertainment of the viewers.

I don't understand this. Sometimes Hillary makes renovations specific to the homeowner. Why would they do that if the person was planning on listing it anyway?

absolutelyido

absolutelyido

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 12:57 PM

I don't understand this. Sometimes Hillary makes renovations specific to the homeowner. Why would they do that if the person was planning on listing it anyway?

For the "drama" of the show. So that mid-point through the show the owners can express their extreme disappointment that Hillary is not making all of the changes they wanted because of unanticipated problems that took up too much of the budget. But then in the end they love what she's done.

Just like they hate first two houses that David shows them. So they can express their doubt that he understand what they want and his ability to find it. But magically, the third house he finds is perfect for them!

It's the same tired script each episode.

BranMuffin

BranMuffin

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

I know it's fake and bad acting, but the horribly rude, snotty people who complain at every house shown are so annoying. I'm watching Love It Or List It Too with the bald white guy and Asian woman with bangs and I want to PUNCH. THE. WOMAN. She is so fucking annoying. I think my tolerance is low though because before that, HGTV aired the Love It Or List It episode with those fat gay guys who screamed at Hilary because her planned kitchen was too small. It's a scripted formula, and an obnoxious one. This show is actually now one of my least favorite shows to watch on HGTV. And getting cheap renovations out of appearing on the show wouldn't even be worth behaving like such a piece of shit on TV.

edit: Got to see the end of the episode. Bald white dude and Asian woman with bangs were incredibly ungrateful with their renovation and I personally thought, as far as style/finishing touches/final look, it was one of the better renovations I have seen on this show. Maybe those two just suck. This is also the first Love It Or List It Too episode I've seen, so hopefully they don't just cast extra horrible people.

Edited by BranMuffin, Apr 21, 2013 @ 12:59 AM.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 8:59 AM

Is there room on that train for me BranMuffin?

I think those two guys who yelled at Hillary are the worst...except for........duh duh duh...the infamous Sandra!!! She had to have a closet for her fur coats and was so hateful that not one poster on here had a nice thing to say about her!

I saw the one you saw last night with the bald guy and I also agree. I think that was a perfect renovation for them because it really did fulfill their needs. I'm sure they can clean up the basement a little bit themselves..(yeah right)

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 9:44 AM

In reality, their house was a disaster, messy and disorganized, horrendous kitchen, cut up into small spaces, with ancient furniture and decor.

That's what strikes me about a lot of these shows. The people are train wrecks in terms of being able to keep a clean, ordered, and even remotely well-maintained home. Fixing it up and carving out more storage space is not going to help these people.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 5:21 PM

HGTV, believing this is our favorite show, is having a marathon of this tomorrow to celebrate Earth Day or whatever day tomorrow is.
You'd thing a Curb Appeal marathon would be more appropriate, but maybe they figured to offer lots of manure to celebrate it.

LuckyBitch

LuckyBitch

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

In the new show, I can see why the people bought the house, because I thought it was a really cool house.
I loved the different levels of the rooms, though I wouldn't want an indoor pool.

Assuming they're still in the Toronto area, it really shows what money will get you in the 'burbs.
In the usual neighborhoods they shop in, that $800 or $850k would get you a fixer upper.

I thought that the office was upstairs, but then they said it was a cold room, which I thought meant it was in the basement.

I really enjoyed this episode because it was finally a different house, not the same older houses with similar floor plans. It's always, knock down walls between the kitchen and dining room, and finish the basement. This episode featured one of the most unique houses I've seen on this show. I'd love to see them go out to the burbs more often.

I thought that the office was upstairs, but then they said it was a cold room, which I thought meant it was in the basement.

They walked upstairs to get to it when Hilary & Desta were walking through but it still didn't seem to be part of the upstairs where the bedrooms were located. They talked about how it was never approved as living space, but that it was built and deeded as Cold Storage, and that it was illegal living space which is why they were not allowed to insulate it; once it was there, it could stay only if left untouched.

The wife cracked me up when the guy lost his garage reno..."Buck up, Buttercup".. ha..I'm so going to use that one on hubby someday.

Yes, the doorway to his office was in the laundry room. You go up a flight of stairs to the office, which I noticed when I paused the DVR on a floor plan shot, is above the garage. I think that space was originally an attic space with easy access from the laundry room. A previous homeowner probably finished it, but didn't bother to install heating up there.

Ha, I also loved her "Buttercup" line.

Shugardrawers

Shugardrawers

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 10:28 PM

Do they seriously use the same damn for sale sign in front of EVERY house? And have they ever done a US episode? I'm sick of 500k to 1mil houses. Let's see what you can do with house worth "only" 250 or 300 and a budget of under 500k. BTW if your budget for a new home is 800k, you can afford a little more than 50k for renos. And if you can't you really can't afford to move either.

kestrelle

kestrelle

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

Let's see what you can do with house worth "only" 250 or 300 and a budget of under 500k.

There was a gay couple that was in this range - they originally had a tiny kitchen and OMG TOO MANY STAIRS. House was valued around $350, if I recall. One of them flipped out on Hillary when the kitchen area in their open living / dining room wasn't big enough and didn't include the kitchen island and double oven he hadn't mentioned wanting. They spent $60K on renovations and the house gained $70K in added value. They kept the house rather than try to move into the $525K third place David showed them.

solenycviewer

solenycviewer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 1:48 PM

There was a gay couple that was in this range - they originally had a tiny kitchen and OMG TOO MANY STAIRS. House was valued around $350, if I recall. One of them flipped out on Hillary when the kitchen area in their open living / dining room wasn't big enough and didn't include the kitchen island and double oven he hadn't mentioned wanting. They spent $60K on renovations and the house gained $70K in added value. They kept the house rather than try to move into the $525K third place David showed them.

There was some really bad acting in that "flip out on Hilary" scene.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

It may have been bad acting but he made me hate him.

Mint Julep

Mint Julep

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

OMG, I didn't recognize Jillian Harris from the Bachelorette as one of the new hosts on tonight's episode. She had a nose job and it changed her whole appearance.

OldTowneTavern

OldTowneTavern

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 5:46 PM

There was some really bad acting in that "flip out on Hilary" scene.

"You trust that WOMAN!!!" I expected him to rip out a spindle from the staircase and chew on it.

I just watched one with Frank and Meaghan (pronounced meegan), who were so obsessed with the kitchen that Frank's brother put in his part of the duplex that they wouldn't sell the cabinets to get the extra money necessary to get a laundry room. Apparently the cabinets cost (the brother, not them) $12k and they didn't want to sell it at a discount, even if it meant getting an entirely new laundry layout. I'm thinking, say they manage to sell the used cabinets for $6k, it would still cost them more in labor, parts and furnishings to construct their own laundry room, so why are they holding out? Also, Hilary explained to them that materials can't be repurposed in their kitchen due to different kitchen layouts and the sizes of the materials (Frank had trouble accepting that, though it was obvious that one kitchen had an entirely different layout and size than the other). What is it about this kitchen (that they didn't even buy) that they can't let go of?

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 7:10 PM

Oh my goodness Frank was so annoying with that stupid kitchen. I swear they are not ashamed to look like jerks on camera.

What was he going to do with those cabinets now?

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 7:33 PM

They were annoying, and I can't remember what they decided to do, but it seemed like spending all of the money on turning a duplex back into a single family home, and spending the bucks on the bedroom floor and not the crappy kitchen, would lessen the resale value.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 3:39 PM

I will never understand people's attachment to wood stoves in the house. It's messy and troublesome when you can have the warmth and a flame from a gas fireplace

.I didn't see the episode yet, so I can't comment on him, but after not having a woodstove until I moved to VT, I can tell you that I'll NEVER want to heat with anything else if I am given a choice. Heat goes up a chimney when you use a fireplace but not with the woodstove, if properly dampened down/vented. I LOVE it so much and it is so much cheaper. Heating our house with gas would cost about us around 2500 for the six months we typically run our woodstove vs about 1000 we've spent so far for the entire season. I say so far because it's still cold enough to need a fire at night.

So I finally found this episode on my DVR (lots backed up) and I stand by my comment that I want a wood stove and I would NOT have been too happy to have had mine moved to the damn basement talk about inconvenient on those zero degree days when it has to be fed more frequently. No, just no. But that house had bigger problems than the poor heating, including bad windows and insulation. Putting up with that for 15 years, the woman deserved her nice, new home which was lovely. I didn't think the views came close though. And that propane fireplace is $$$ to use. Even my gas company told me to not use it as it's a huge fuel waste and 1) it was a nice, new "efficient" stove and 2) they made their money selling me fuel... it was okay to use for general ambience on the odd occasion and came in real handy when we lost power but that was about it.

I think the guy was at least nice enough to apologize for making a fuss after finding out how much the new one cost which for these dramatic!episodes! is unusual. But since we all know they already probably bought the other house, for the life of me I'll never understand these people willing to make big asses of themselves. LIOLI does ~ not ~ pay enough to make that something I'd be ever willing to do.

Edited by callietwo, May 3, 2013 @ 3:43 PM.

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 6:36 PM

The one I saw last night at 11:00 pm featured the french teacher who lived in a big old house with her husband and daughter.  I had to shut it off early because by the look on her face I knew she was going to be nasty to Hillary.  She had that look about her right away when they were discussing price points.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

They've announced a Mother's Day Marathon starting at 2pm for LIOLI.  Like I'd want to marathon this show on MD.. bitch, please, HTGV spare me!  Spare us all!

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 12:09 PM

Good heavens, Callietwo, wasn't yesterday a LIOLI marathon, and several days last week?  And I think it was on this morning.

Cruise

Cruise

Just Tuned In

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 12:05 AM

Just finished watching the episode where the husband is a real estate agent and was very annoyed with both the husband and wife.  I couldn't believe that the two boys had to sleep in a bed together in the same room so the wife could have her own office with a view of the backyard and the birds.  She was insistent on keeping that office and having a nanny suite, but complained that her boys had to sleep in the same bed/same

room.  Seriously?  Tell your husband to shut his trap and move your office upstairs.  Does Hilary ever do a house where there isn't a problem where she can't do all of the remodeling they want?  I have yet to see an episode where she doesn't have issues.  Also, do people in Canada know the concept of putting your crap away or has the show told them to make the house look as cluttered and messy as possible.  If these people would put their things in the proper place, they might not need to have renovations done.