Love It or List It

• Please log in to reply

815 replies to this topic

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2009 @ 1:15 PM

I searched and did not find.

Anyone watch this? I see it here and there in what I assume are repeats on W network.

The premise is that a family says why their current home doesn't work for them: not enough space, weird layout, had more kids, someone is working from home, whatev.

A designer and a real estate agent both come on board, sort of as a contest. The designer actually redoes their house within a budget given by the HOs, while the real estate agent shows them a couple houses within their budget and as close as possible to their wish list.

In the end, the couple/family has to decide whether to love it (stay in their newly redone house) or list it (sell and buy one of the places they were shown).

Funny thing, I have yet to see an ep where they decide to stay. I always feel bad for the designer, since she works her butt off and gives them a beautiful end product that solves most of their needs, yet, they never choose her work. She also always seems to end up with unforeseen problems during the reno that eat up a lot of the budget (like water leaks or sagging floors), but the HOs never want to give her more money to work with, even though it will add to the value of their house.

Anyone watch this show?

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Aug 2, 2009 @ 9:43 PM

I have seen a couple of episodes where the family did decide to stay in their original home but unfortunately I can't recall the specifics. Usually, I'm too busy trying to figure out what Toronto neighbourhood they are in, if not the precise street :)

I often like what the decorator has done with the house but I do find it surprising she so often runs into problems with electrical wiring, water supply, basic construction issues, etc.. I would have thought she would have given the place a serious once-over before she formulated her renovation plans/agreed to the homeowners' wishlist in order to minimize the likelihood of difficulties once the reno project got underway.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 9:59 AM

That's what I always think. In one ep, she had $45,000 for what basically amounted to cosmetic changes: paint, flooring, new kitchen cabinets, plus new fixtures in a small bathroom. No walls to move, no big wiring/plumbing changes.

Yet, she had to come back to them and say that the budget didn't allow for the bathroom reno after all. If she hadn't chosen granite countertops (easily 15% of the budget) she could have done the bathroom. There are lots of nice laminate countertops out there, and it wasn't something they insisted on.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 8:39 AM

It's been a year and I've been watching this show pretty regularly. I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up by a U.S. station because it combines two popular concepts - the home decorating show and the real estate show. Best of both worlds.

I often like what the decorator has done with the house but I do find it surprising she so often runs into problems with electrical wiring, water supply, basic construction issues, etc..

Having seen so many eps now, I realize that they have a formula they follow for every. single. ep. and it's pretty tiresome, in spite of the payoff of seeing other houses and a great reno. The formula: David shows two houses that are completely wrong, so much so that the couple gets angry with him for "not getting it". The final house is absolutely perfect, with all the wish list items plus bonus bells and whistles. The only catch is that it's either out of their preferred neighbourhood or over their budget. Hillary is given a budge that couldn't possibly cover all the wish list items. She has big plans but always runs into some important but unglamorous issue that eats up even more of the budget so that a major thing has to be left out. But in the end, she still manages to give them a spectacular reno, although it does seem that - like so many other designers on budgeted makeover shows - she wastes precious funds on pointless tchotchkes.

The choosing to love it or list it does seem to be pretty much 50-50, and knowing what I know about (un)reality shows, it's probably already a done deal long before the show is filmed. Oh well.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2010 @ 12:35 PM

I've been watching a few episodes lately and I like it, although, as pointed out and pinned down exactly by GracieM, it is very formulaic.

The couple this morning decided to stay in their older home even though they didn't get the second bath they wanted (due to structural and electrical problems that had to be taken care of), since the designer, Hilary?, did such a great job.

And yesterday the well-to-do young couple who wanted a larger family decided to list since the designer, no matter how good a job she did, just could not create a fourth bedroom with the space she had. She did manage to make a second bathroom out of limited space though. These people were very nice. Some are so obnoxious, like they are told to ramp it up for the camera.

I wish too they would say what neighbourhood they are in, not that I know Toronto all that well but I would like to know the general area.

ETA: I just checked out W Network website and they are currently looking for people to be on the show.

Edited by Trey, Oct 10, 2010 @ 12:44 PM.

doublebungalow2

doublebungalow2

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 17, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

OHhhhh! I want to see this show in the US. Sound great!

Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 3:35 PM

I find myself getting sucked into this show all too often, as I'm at the point in my real estate life where I can't relate to Property Virgins or flipping or the dream home renos. This show is unfortunately realistic - older homes renovations usually uncover some unpleasant surprises and unexpected costs. But once a neighbourhood is established a bigger, fully renovated home can cost a lot more money. Many episodes are filmed in my neck of the woods, the formerly off-the-radar Danforth East/upper Beaches area so sometimes I just watch because I recognize the streetscape or know the bar where Hilary and David finish for drinks.

I get a kick out of Hilary sometimes and wonder if she is really that much of a bitch or it an act for the camera?

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2010 @ 3:19 PM

I don't really find Hilary to be a bitch. She gets bitchy when she has to deal with stupid HO demands, like they want an entire floor redone complete with walls moved, new plumbing and wiring, a whole new kitchen and, oh yes, another bathroom. Here's $45,000, Hilary to do all that.

What do you mean, it's not enough money? What are you wasting it on, stupid frivolity like replacing knob-and-tube wiring that insurance companies won't touch, or shoring up load-bearing walls so the house won't collapse? But I want a fourth bedroooom!!!

Yeah, I'd be bitchy too.

Emily Thrace

Emily Thrace

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 1:50 AM

I just watched the one where they redo Eddie's the show regular contractor's house and its cute, it really does make it seem as though he at least really respects Hillary and what she does.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 11:25 AM

Eddie's episode was good.

They also did one for Desta, Hillary's blonde assistant and she became the HO from hell.

crystalsage

crystalsage

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2011 @ 4:08 PM

Yeah, I've been watching this show for a long time. Although it is formulaic, I still love it. Hilary is a great designer and her crew is first-rate. David is a very good realtor, but I watch it mostly for the renovations. And the sometimes bad attitude of the HOs. Sounds like the home owners didn't bother with a home inspection or they have grounds to sue someone. Sandra from Property Virgins has done a great job of educating people about the importance of a home inspection before purchase. Home owners who miss things like knob and tube wiring (usually can be seen in basement) and bowed walls just don't "get it." Actually, I'm sure that the producers have a good idea of what problems Hilary will encounter before she even starts. Despite the manufactured drama, I really enjoy this show. My favourite right now.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2011 @ 4:28 PM

I only watched about three episodes about a year ago and haven't watched it since because by show two I realized that every single show is basically the same old rubbish. See Hilary meet with the homeowners who have unrealistic expectations with their budgets. See Hilary butt heads with the head contractor who puts the kibosh on at least one key element. See Hilary go to the homeowners with this news and they go ape shit on her and mutter away to each other about how disappointed they are with her. See Hilary getting frantic to meet the deadline -"Oh my God! Are we going to be finished on time?" and surprise surprise you do finish and the homeowners are delighted. Blah, blah, blah. Every bloody show the exact same scenerios, except the faces change. Another reason I don't like it, and this is going to sound petty but do I care, is I can't stand the narrator's voice. Her voice really bothers me, although not as much as the woman who narrates "Rich Bride, Poor Bride." I don't mean any disrespect but is she the producer's Grandma? Like, how old is she? Like I said, folks, just my opinion and no, I don't hate old people as I myself am far from the proverbial spring chicken. Or summer chicken. Any form of chicken.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

Trying to replay the narrators' voices from Love it or List it and Rich Bride, Poor Bride, I'm wondering if it's the same woman.

I do get tired of the formulaic premise, but I love seeing the renovations and trying to guess whether they'll uh, love it or list it. I've kind of figured out that whatever option they seem to be in favour of during their whispery discussion, they'll go the other way. Example, they're saying something like, "David did find a great house, but Hilary did wonders with this one. Moving would be such a bother right now and he didn't get a house with a garage. This place looks great and the kitchen is fab!" Sounds like they'll choose to love it, but no, it means they'll list it. At least that's my theory.

It does also seem like Hilary does way more work. I realize she doesn't actually do the renovation work, but redesigning an entire floor or two, choosing all the colours/fixtures/etc., overseeing the project, dealing with the inevitable headache, redesiging because of that, styling the finished product - it seems like a lot.

Whereas David just has to sit at his computer and punch in what their wants and then take them on a few house tours. I'm not denigrating the effort of realtors, just that the workload isn't fair in this show, it seems.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2011 @ 8:46 AM

Agree. David gets off easy. Hilary gets into clashes with the contractor, and then has to bear the brunt of the homeowner's wrath. Sometimes as an agent, David really sucks. On one show, (wasn't watching but was channel surfing by and managed to catch) he showed a couple a house that was $100,000 OVER THEIR BUDGET! Now it's one thing to go maybe a couple of grand over but one hundred thousand?!! The couple were just gobsmacked, and rightly so. How stupid was that?

I have seen them do this so many times on other shows - "Property Virgins," "House Hunters" but never this high over. Don't these bloody realtors LISTEN to their clients? When people say to you, this is my budget, you should respect that. Otherwise, you should offer to help them pay the mortgage. News flash - people give you a budget for a reason.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 6:46 PM

Did the over-budget house have all their wants? Because David knows that all of Hilary's work will make his job easier by making the current home more valuable, and thus, being able to increase their purchasing budget.

Which is another peeve about the so-called competition. Hilary's efforts actually help David; how fair is that?

Suen

Suen

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2011 @ 12:47 PM

Trying to replay the narrators' voices from Love it or List it and Rich Bride, Poor Bride, I'm wondering if it's the same woman.

Jacqueline Hennessy (Jill's twin sister) narrates Love it or List it. Willene Falconer narrages Rich Bride, Poor Bride. I think both women are well cast for their shows.

Orton

Orton

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2011 @ 3:36 PM

Yes, yes, formulaic, but I do like seeing Hil's renos and find both she and David quite tolerable as personalities (even their scripted banter). I've been watching tons of eps lately, and most of the HOs bitch out to some extent, but I think I have a winner for most odious HO: hipster idiot bully Colin, of "Colin & Beth" who are expecting their first baby. A close second is his pushover wife, who totally caves in to him in the most revolting subservient way.

I am curious how this works; I'm presuming couples who "list it" have already made offers on another house for the most part. If this were an American production, I would presume that they had already closed on their new house before production even started, but I think in Canader, there's less wiggle room for fabrication on this aspect. I could be wrong though.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

OHhhhh! I want to see this show in the US. Sound great!

The OWN Network is airing this show. There's currently a marathon of about 6 shows on right now.

Edited by Mita_Jo, Jun 11, 2011 @ 8:24 PM.

psychoticstate

psychoticstate

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2011 @ 12:51 AM

I caught 3 epis of this show last night and really enjoyed it. Thought Hillary did a great job with the first house, despite being unable to give the couple an expanded bathroom. I thought for sure they would list it as the last house David showed them was gorgeous. I would have listed it, only because the house for sale had larger bedrooms (and more of them) and more baths. I couldn't deal with one bathroom in the entire house.

The second couple - - I think his name was Richard, can't remember hers - - were the most miserable people ever. I'm sure Hillary and David must have wanted to quit. This couple found something wrong with absolutely everything. I just don't think they were satisfied unless they were complaining. I don't think David was trying to suggest you were at fault for not having a larger budget, you dipshits, he was simply telling you the facts of life. They were expecting a huge house that fulfilled all their wants and needs on the budget for a starter house. And of course Hillary is goinig to be stressed when you just "assume" that she's going to do something, or not do something. I really hated this couple the entire episode and was honestly hoping David and/or Hillary would simply walk off the job and leave the two in their miserable little world.

In all, I enjoyed it and will likely watch again.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2011 @ 4:08 PM

I prefer the half-hour condensed version of this show (which is done in reruns here in Canada sometimes) because it eliminates a lot of the fake drama. They show the original house, outline the problems, tour a couple of other houses, Hilary shows her end design and the couple chooses. Done, and done. The hour is too much and it really emphasizes the formula.

As other posters have pointed out, the premise makes Hilary do all the work (even though I know she's not actually doing the reno). She has to come up with a design, deal with the inevitable bad wiring/leaky basement/not-to-code plumbing, which cuts into the budget. Her end result adds to the value of the house (although I'm skeptical that the reno adds more to every house than the reno cost), which helps David make his sale.

It's probably scripted and the end choice known from the get-go, but still. It doesn't seem like a fair competition. I do like seeing the renos though, which is why I watch most home shows.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 12:03 AM

I am really enjoying this show. Even if the banter is scripted, it is a nice twist to have a decorator and a real estate agent vying for the business of the homeowner. I don't blame Hilary for being annoyed with some homeowners. The episode I just watched featured a couple who finally admitted that they chose not to have an inspection before buying their home, and consequently the third floor that they had been told was structurally ready to finish was not and finishing it ate up almost all of the budget. Like always, the homeowners pouted and acted like it was Hilary's fault. Of course, I think she should state at the beginning that she will have to have her crew inspect the house for structural problems without promising the moon.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 7:49 AM

I've kind of become fixated on this show, with all the marathons and repeats airing in the US now.

I didn't realize there was a half hour version, but I FF through the construction/remodeling scenes, anyway. Watch the intro, the other houses David shows, then the reveal.

The episodes I've seen are pretty evenly split between love and list even though Hillary has never once been able to give the HOs everything on their must list. Poor thing can't produce extra space out of nothing -- although she comes close sometimes!

The episode with the mother and college-age son sticks out in my mind as being a particularly fabulous result for the HOs.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2011 @ 6:42 PM

Yeah, I just watch the intro and the reveal and then try to guess. It's pretty easy - whichever way they're leaning the most during the "private" discussion, they'll choose the other. Example, if they mention that Hilary did a decent job but David found them a great home and near the kids' school and they won't have to remodel - that means they choose "love it". It's pretty predictable once you watch for it.

I find the middle part just too overly scripted. Oh shocker, Hilary has stumbled upon some unforeseen problem with the house that will eat into the budget and make her have to take something off the wish list. Oh shocker, David found the perfect house that is just a tad over their budget (but never as expensive as they expect) but it will be perfectly affordable once Hilary's renos are taken into account. Meh.

What bugs me is that the unforeseen problem means the budget won't allow for one of the wish list items, but when Hilary reveals her reno, she often has a lot of ridiculously unnecessary and expensive items, like a $700 toilet or a $4,000 fridge. If she went a little more middling on those things, she might have had enough to add a needed closet or redo a powder room or something.

selhars

selhars

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 12:56 AM

Anyone know how much of this show is fake vs. real? Do producers put up any of the money for renovations? Who puts 30-thousand to 50-thousand and upwards worth of super renovations into a house and then sells.

Minimal sprucing up to sell or needed repairs I could see. But no one does total gut jobs even they're even THINKING about selling. That's what I don't get.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 11:58 AM

I really like this show and its hosts. It has the perfect combination of snarky love-hate going on between the hosts and the homeowners.

And I have the same question as selhars about whether the homeowner is really putting up the money toward the renovations. Most of the shows I've seen have the homeowners keeping the home, so my guess is yes. But who knows.

DaWife

DaWife

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 3:05 PM

I like David and Hillary, although Hillary less so. It just mystifies me that she never seems to plan for contingencies, when there is ALWAYS a problem. ALWAYS.

The HOs always irk me though, especially when they give the "we gave you a lot of money" line. Yes, $40,000 is a lot of money in theory, but when you want a practically new house (open concept, finished basement, the ubiquitous "spa bathroom," the inevitable "extra bedroom, "updated kitchen," etc), that is not a lot of money at all and nobody seems to realize the actual cost of things.

I hated the "green" couple who kept nixing the cost-saving, carbon-footprint-shrinking idea that Hillary had in favor of "theoretically green" but more expensive and not really efficient options, like nixing the granite countertops for man-made engineered countertops- why granite was so much more awful than an item that had been constructed in a polluting factory, then shipped to a warehouse is beyond me.

And I couldn't stand the 4 South Asian sisters- not so much the younger ones- they seemed pretty reasonable. The older ones, who ganged up with their father on the younger ones, then proceeded to complain bitterly when their requests had to be changed as well, however- i wanted to push them out of a moving car.

Edited by DaWife, Aug 21, 2011 @ 7:14 PM.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 11:09 AM

The episode with the 3 teenage boys -- I have no idea how Hillary spent $45K when she didn't even re-do that grotty bathroom in the basement! The HOs decided to stay, but my god. That was a really bad misuse of funds for what basically amounted to decorating and painting.

The one with Michael and Jeffrey as the HOs -- the older one really was a huge crankypants. I don't see much hope for the future of that relationship.

Also notable as impossible HOs were the couple with the caucasian wife who had her silver hair in a bob and loooked about 15 years older than her black husband. It seemed like mainly the wife who didn't like anything, but her husband went along with it. David did find them a house they finally liked, though.

It all makes me realize I would NEVER make it as a reator! I'd constantly be in jail for punching my clients.

Edited by queasy, Aug 26, 2011 @ 7:41 PM.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 6:29 PM

I assume much of Hilary's budget went to whatever unforeseen Holmes on Homes-ish fix was required - leaky basement, bad wiring, crappy plumbing, rotting or non-existant insulation?

Plus, she probably spent several thousand bucks on pillows and knick-knacks, which really bugs me. Surely the homeowner wants to accessorize their own home.

fountainof

fountainof

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 10:23 AM

What I don't like is the renovation includes furniture too, like they do on that Sarah's house show. If I put $50k into my home but spend $15k on furniture and accessories no one is going to pay $80-$90k more for my home. A lot more could be done with the money if the decorating was kept at more of a minimum (i.e. just painting, maybe some shelves and window treatments). I know the end result would be a little less pretty but more stuff would be done. Also, in some of the shows with issues she could do a lesser remodel, for example, finish the basement with a lower ceiling like many are (6.5 to 7 feet) so the space is at least decent looking and useable rather then looking like a cement pit. Lots of houses don't have 8 foot ceilings in the basement and peolpe use the space just fine.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 3:36 PM

Or Hilary could just use the furniture and accessories the homeowners already have, which is what they'd do anyway. Most people have a few nice objects, wall art, pillows, etc. I agree that it's a waste of budget.