Hoarders (A&E): I Had Plans for That Rock!

• Please log in to reply

16966 replies to this topic

Tolteca

Tolteca

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 12:13 PM

Judy, if I remember correctly.

Mdmom

Mdmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 12:54 PM

She was the one who had 2 years of poop diapers in the house- she lived in Virginia and had been an IT person(she said). Her daughter eventually moved her to an assisted living facility near her in Portland, Oregon. There you saw her playing piano and talking with other residents and being visited by her daughter and grandkids.

A lot of these people look like they would be better off in some kind of facility getting treatment and not being able to rehoard(Augustine -I'm talking to you). There was a lot of talk in this area in August after a guy in DC was found dead among his hoard- but he was suppposedly somewhat mentally sound and so was not removed from his home-even though people knew about it and various agencies were called in.. I wonder that you can think someone who lives with nothing working, human feces, bugs and rats all over where they live - mentally sound.

saladshooter

saladshooter

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 5:34 PM

Judy, if I remember correctly.

Yes, that was Judy. Quite possibly the only hoarder I didn't want to choke to death - she was such a sad lady.

Tolteca

Tolteca

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 5:48 PM

I was glad she got a happy ending in a place that was clearly where she needed to be.

NoPity1066

NoPity1066

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

Yes, that was Judy. Quite possibly the only hoarder I didn't want to choke to death - she was such a sad lady.

Amen, saladshooter. She was just too, too sad to snark on, despite our devotion to doing such. I believe she was blameless, despite the apocalypse of poo, poo bags, diapers, poo chair, etc, etc. Her far-away stare said it all. No one was home in that house, so to speak...

Makes me wonder, though, how she made it as far as she did without professional, medical assistance. I can't and won't blame the daughter - so willfully, forcefully pushed out of Judy's life, but happy to know that she stepped up when the crisis came to it's inevitable conclusion. So, for once, "YAY !" A&E and Hoarders for doing the right thing...

For once.

NurseNoir

NurseNoir

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 14, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

Thank goddess for the few postings that keep this board going. I watch a lot of the reruns (desperation) and usually think of something to say, but don't, and no one else does either. I imagine everything's already been said much earlier.
By Mr. Pickle do we mean the very heavy man who had been a policeman and lay in bed most of the time? The one with a huge cache of guns in the garage? I think his wife asked him if he wanted a pickle while they were sitting in their RV. She was unpleasant!
I kind of fell in love a little with Richard, the poor, dear, very tall man with scoliosis sleeping in his car. He seemed so gentle, quiet and undemanding. Just having a bed to sleep and stretch out on made him so happy. *sniff* The ferocity of Arline's compulsion fills every little crack of peace and light like a tidal wave. I'm baffled and terrified by a mind that cannot see the relation between one's actions and the result. The hoard just "happens." <shudder>

blue sky

blue sky

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 12:11 PM

Do you ever wonder what these people must act like in private to have everyone so absolutely terrified of them?

This is one of the questions I always have in mind about these people (and the people on Intervention, which I've only been able to stand 2 or 3 episodes of). I see the way they act on the show and can't believe that they were good/normal/kind people before their problems started. I can't believe their friends and family would say "They were great and considerate and not completely self-centered, until the moment they started hoarding or doing crack, and only then did they turn into complete jerks." I can't bear to watch this show very often, so do regular viewers have any insights on this?

And I wonder about the people who stick with the hoarders. I understand the kids who have trouble giving up on their parents, but what about other people? One example I'm thinking of is from the recent marathon with a guy who was "on the verge" of being a hoarder and his girlfriend wanted him to clean up so they could move in together and then get married. She complained that his house was full of his abandoned hobby projects, but the bigger issue was that it was also covered in garbage. His coffee table had empty beer and hot sauce bottles all over it. I don't think he was a hoarder, I think he was just completely lazy. Why get up during the commercial break to carry an empty bottle to the recycle bin when there's an empty space right there on the table? So my question for the girlfriend would be why was she involved with a guy like that anyway? What wonderful traits did he have to offset the laziness? And why get deeper into a relationship with him when the doctor is saying that she'll have to be responsible for keeping him from hoarding again? Does she want to be his wife or his mother/caretaker?

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 12:00 PM

do regular viewers have any insights on this?

They are mentally ill.

If hoarding is a form of OCD, as it seems to be, then their single-mindedness leaves no room for anything but their obsession (in the more extreme stages we see on this series.) That means nothing comes before the hoard - not having a roof over their head, not having plumbing, heat, let alone their loved ones. In their view, the person standing between them and their hoard/obsession is cruel.

So I don't know if nice, selfish, etc. apply here really. Although, some certainly have horrible caustic personalities as well. I think the main issue is they literally are blinded by obsession.

Seeing the collateral damage, though, always makes me feel very sad for their loved ones.

So my question for the girlfriend would be why was she involved with a guy like that anyway?

I had the same question. If it's early into the relationship and they know about the obsession, addiction, hoarding, etc. why stay? It will be much, much harder once shared finances, children, and lives come into it.

By Mr. Pickle do we mean the very heavy man who had been a policeman and lay in bed most of the time?

Yes. He asked for a pickle when they were resting in their RV. His wife snapped, "No, I don't have a pickle. I'm in a pickle." Ignoring, I guess, that her husband was the one whose emotional and physical health were decimated by her hoard.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 12:24 PM

They are mentally ill.

If hoarding is a form of OCD, as it seems to be, then their single-mindedness leaves no room for anything but their obsession (in the more extreme stages we see on this series.) That means nothing comes before the hoard - not having a roof over their head, not having plumbing, heat, let alone their loved ones. In their view, the person standing between them and their hoard/obsession is cruel.

So I don't know if nice, selfish, etc. apply here really. Although, some certainly have horrible caustic personalities as well. I think the main issue is they literally are blinded by obsession.

ScrubMonkey makes a good point: the illness overtakes all, to the exclusion of cleanliness, health, well-being and relationships. It's why they're tying themselves to toilets, living in unheated trailers, and living estranged from family.

But...

There are also levels of this disease. (NOTE: The levels I speak of are my own; clinical psychologists have a different system.) A first-level hoarder might simply need to clean their house and their illness doesn't allow them to mentally figure out where to begin, or which is truly salvageable. This is what attracted me to this show in the first season: why can't they just clean the house? Most of the houses in season one were these types of cases. They hadn't gotten to the level of personal safety issues, and they still talked to friends and family.

In season two, there were more extreme cases, level twos, in which personal safety and family safety had been addressed by local authorities but either no action or rudimentary action (fines, warnings) were levied against the Hoarders. Toward the end of season two, Hoarders started dealing with the "poop hoarders", folks who were so unable to determine which actions to take to improve their situations, they held onto everything including their poop.

I'm kind of turned off to the latest season and a half, in which they are either literally putting themselves and their families in grave danger, or have already had said members removed from the house. This also includes the pet hoarders, and the pets are in danger or already dead.

Though I know these folks do exist, as a viewer, I have trouble with the high level hoarders. Whereas the initial seasons were informative and educational as well as entertaining, I keep finding myself too bummed to tune in, sometimes. YMMV

SparkleGirl

SparkleGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 1:54 PM

when does the new season start? My DVR is not showing any new episodes yet.

MrPissyPuppy

MrPissyPuppy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 3:02 PM

It's back on Monday, the 24th.

I hope that the other hoarding show holds off any new stuff for awhile. Two on at the same time is too much for me. Throw in the animal hoarding show on Animal Planet and it's just overkill.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 12:00 AM

I'm kind of turned off to the latest season and a half, in which they are either literally putting themselves and their families in grave danger, or have already had said members removed from the house.

Their obsession puts their families in extreme emotional danger, as well. The family in which the father had attempted suicide, the woman who fell and broke her arm and was so stressed because she felt her husband didn't love her enough to just clear the stairs so it didn't happen again. The man who was isolated upstairs because he couldn't use stairs, and there was no other (downstairs) room clear in the house for him to sleep in. (When the show made one room downstairs for him, the hoarder insisted on putting her things in it as well, and so he had no privacy, and got even more dejected.)

The families of these hoarders cry, yell, beg, plead, go, stay, call A & E, and attempt suicide and still, nothing stops the hoarding. There's nothing riskier to morale than a sense of futility, and the families of hoarders have it.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 4:33 PM

A&E's Hoarders' home page has posted a preview of Monday's premiere and on Facebook there was this text:

Kevin is the youngest son of renowned political strategist and a silver screen star--both of whom have stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He grew up in a huge mansion living a charmed life. But now Kevin has hoarded himself out of this Upper East Side Manhattan apartment and sleeps on a bench in front of the building.

There's a brief shot of, who, I suspect, are Kevin's parents. Anyone have any idea who they are?

Grasonville

Grasonville

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 5:31 PM

Does everyone know that every "star" is paid for by the person being "honored"??? Just like the Better Business Bureau - people PAY to be on the list

Mdmom

Mdmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 8:01 PM

The parents are Tex McCrary and Jinx Falkenburg- she was a model in the 30's or 40's and the couple had a radio show together not sure how that comes to big money but somewhere it said the brother controls the trust fund the parents set up.

affirmed

affirmed

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

Saw the rerun with that horrid woman from Michigan. Penny? Oh my gosh she was nasty but also bordering on paranoid. She was getting her 13 year old son in on the act of hoarding yet I don't understand why he could not pick the poop off the floor of his hoarded room.

If she was unmarried, where were the dad or dads of these kids? That would be enough to yank custody away from Penny, at least on a temporary basis.

Cats do seem to get a raw deal on this show.....maybe because cats are a passive animal and are, in some ways, easier to own than a dog? Not sure but I am a lifelong cat owner and I never had cat poop ANYWHERE but the litter box.

Penny struck me as OCD and mentally ill. That poor son of hers will be endlessly teased at school - he probably already has an odor to him and we all know it is unlikely he has friends over in THAT mess of a house.

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 5:33 AM

Anyone catch Dr. Zasio on My Extreme Animal Phobia? I started a thread for it here.

The parents are Tex McCrary and Jinx Falkenburg- she was a model in the 30's or 40's

Yeah, Jinx also acted in minor parts.

Jinx Falkenberg

Lulus Pie Shop

Lulus Pie Shop

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 3:36 PM

I don't understand why he could not pick the poop off the floor of his hoarded room.

It's hard to overcome when poop on the floor is your normal.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 5:28 PM

Wow - Jinx was gorgeous. She looks unsettlingly like Adrianne Curry, too.

Jinx Falkenburg photograph.

Should be an interesting episode; the boy who had everything, to hoarder.

HandBanana

HandBanana

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

So my question for the girlfriend would be why was she involved with a guy like that anyway?

I had the same question. If it's early into the relationship and they know about the obsession, addiction, hoarding, etc. why stay? It will be much, much harder once shared finances, children, and lives come into it.

My guess is that the partners who stick around have their own issues going on to be willing to put up with that crap. Co-dependent stuff, being a martyr, what have you. The partners who've left have returned to sanity. (I feel a lot of these people on Hoarders, people like Vula, should be excised from the lives of those around them forever. They are just tornados of negativity who are not worth the effort; I feel the same about some of the Intervention subjects.)

PikoMonkey

PikoMonkey

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 3:55 PM

They are mentally ill.

How does this explain the entire families of hoarders we have seen on these shows or the family of hoarders I know in real life?

Do both the mother and father happen have this illness then pass it on to their children? Is it contagious? YMMV, but I don't believe it*. I think most hoarders are just filthy people who don't care about their surroundings and are too lazy to clean. I believe telling them that its 'just a disease/illness' is not beneficial and will do nothing to keep them from creating more sailcats or fiddling around in a pile of decomposing pumpkin to retrieve some seeds.

*That's not to say that many of these hoarders might not have mental illnesses, but I think that its in addition to their hoarding issues.

It is also my opinion that if they really feel the 'therapy' is necessary, that it needs to be taken care of well before any cleaning ever starts. I feel these shows coddle the participants way too much and they need to be much more adamant about Getting Rid of the Garbage, no discussion needed. If the hoarders have any problems getting rid of useless crap then the cleaners should immediately pack up and leave, no one should be standing around waiting for a hoarder to agonize over whether or not to discard a used big gulp cup.

I really like the idea of having a written list of items that must be thrown away that was mentioned previously. Damaged, shat upon, or otherwise unsafe or unusable items? Gone. No one needs to check with the hoarder to see if they want to keep a cat pee stained baby onesie. They can also make a list of a certain manageable number of sentimental items that they want salvaged if found, but if its something that was forgotten and left to rot under a pile of rubbish, it wasn't that important in the first place and should be discarded.

saladshooter

saladshooter

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

I really like the idea of having a written list of items that must be thrown away that was mentioned previously. Damaged, shat upon, or otherwise unsafe or unusable items? Gone. No one needs to check with the hoarder to see if they want to keep a cat pee stained baby onesie.

The problem with that is, as we've seen time and again, the hoarder always insists that it can be cleaned or laundered and then it'll be good as new again.

I once tried to help a hoarder friend clean up his house and while going through a garbage bag full of clothes we discovered mice had gotten into the bag and pooped/peed all over everything. I told him that everything in the bag was going to be trash because of it - he disagreed and we had to go through it anyway. The breaking point for me was when I had to argue with him that a sweater he wanted to keep should be trashed. The mice had chewed a hole the size of a dinner plate out of it, but he still wanted to keep it. In the end I "won" (after much arguing) and he agreed to toss it, but my point is that they are not based in reality at all. Not even a little bit. They genuinely believe that the items can be cleaned or repaired.

Edited by saladshooter, Oct 23, 2011 @ 4:40 PM.

Blue Lemming

Blue Lemming

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2011 @ 6:33 PM

I, also caught the re-run of the Penny episode. I do have one question...

Was there a contingency plan if the 13 year old child came up to the doctor or producer and said "Please don't leave, once you leave my mom is going to be very upset and I don't know what she is going to do to me" or if the child said "Please take me with you, I'm scared what is going to happen after you leave"

I've often thought about the one child "Sam", who cried because the doctor and cleaners were leaving at the end of the shoot. I've wondered if he cried because he thought "bad things" were going to happen to him once everyone wrapped up & cleared out?? Did he feel as long as other adults were around, he was protected in some way??

Can an underage child request "Political Asylum" (for lack of a better term) from the Hoarder parent??

I've wondered if the child gets scared as the final cleaning day comes to a close.

redogue

redogue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 7:50 AM

In case you are interested in Tex and Jinx, they are on the cover of the September 1948 Radio & TV Mirror magazine. That issue is currently on ebay.

Tex & Jinx

I think that hoarding is a serious mental illness. I have a family member who is a hoarder. The wiring in her brain is different. For example, an item on her countertop is a late 1970's nonworking microwave oven that is enormous. She can't throw it away because she heated her babies' bottles in there. She keeps a broken plastic Eiffel Tower because if she threw it away, she wouldn't remember her trip to Paris. When her mother's items were sold at auction, she cried the entire time because "memories were walking out the door" of the auction house. There is no reasoning with her. She hold a very responsible job and this her hoarding is a secret she keeps from the rest of the world.

I think most hoarders are just filthy people who don't care about their surroundings and are too lazy to clean.

I think it's almost impossible to clean a hoarded house. Just the act of moving all the crap from one side of a room to the other side of the room takes so much time and effort that the cleaning never gets done. These people are overwhelmed, yet can't throw a single thing away. Many hate "wasting" things and to them, throwing away is wasting. They have become used to their surroundings, but getting to the level 4-5 hoard took years. We, the viewer, are shocked by their living conditions but they've had years and years having it get continually worse and they do not view it the same way as someone without this condition does.

MEMNurse

MEMNurse

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 9:07 AM

I think these hoarders are a mixed bag; some are just lazy slobs who don't want to clean, but others are truly mentally ill. I agree with the poster who stated that the true hoarders really think of items differently in that they think everything is more valuable then it really is. One of my good friends from high school is a hoarder and we had a really good heart to heart about it one day. She is not a lazy person. She was able to articulate in her head that she knew it wasn't normal but the fear and anxiety of getting rid of something that someone might one day need or that she could make something with was stronger. Interestingly, if she had something one of her friends needed, she has no problem giving it to them. So she can give something away that will be used, just not throw anything or help herself from accumulating things that some day, someone may need.

I really felt for Penny's son. Not only does the kid probably have no idea how to even start to clean, but I believe he would face some real consequences from Penny if he threw anything out. IMO, she is capable of very volatile behavior and I agree with the poster that said they need to get some sort of safety plan on board for the children in these situations.

PikoMonkey

PikoMonkey

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 9:47 AM

I think it's almost impossible to clean a hoarded house.

It's interesting that although we both have family members who hoard, we have two completely different takes on it. I have been able to clean many parts of my hoarder families home, I assure you its not impossible. However, it is a thankless task and those cleaned areas never stay clean for more than a few weeks. My experiences with my entire family of level 4 hoarders are probably the reason why I have such a negative view of hoarders. How could all 3 of them just happen to have the same 'mental illness'?

All a hoarder needs to do is pick a spot and start cleaning but they would rather make excuses about why something cannot be thrown away. I could make lame excuses all day about things I would rather not do, that does not mean its impossible for me to do these things or that I must have some sort of mental illness. It only means I am really committed to making up excuses for why I don't want to do it.

Three Foot Six

Three Foot Six

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 1:04 PM

Rewatching Jim's episode right now and noticed something I missed the first time around - his stepson Adrian, the one who wasn't allowed in the house ("You know why!") begged, rather bizarrely, to be allowed to clean out one grandkid's room specifically. He said he'd never even met the kid but wanted to give him a nice room. What do you want to bet that he'd left something hidden in that room...drugs, maybe? How great a hiding place would a hoarder's house be? You could toss something right on top and no one would ever notice it, then in a few days it would be totally buried. A search team wouldn't get far. Drug-sniffing dogs would keel over dead from stench overload on the front porch. That creeper may be on to something.

PikoMonkey

PikoMonkey

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 2:41 PM

How great a hiding place would a hoarder's house be? You could toss something right on top and no one would ever notice it, then in a few days it would be totally buried. A search team wouldn't get far. Drug-sniffing dogs would keel over dead from stench overload on the front porch.

Ha, when I watch police procedural type shows and something like a single hair found at the crime scene becomes the turning point in the investigation, I often think about how difficult an investigation in a hoarder house would be. A murder in a hoarder house has to be a nightmare for the police, think of all the millions of evidence bags you would need. How would you even know where to start?

As far as the dogs having a problem with the stench...I don't know, I've seen dogs sniff excitedly at some pretty gross things.

redogue

redogue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 5:47 PM

Do they ever replay Gordon/Gayle episode? You know, the couple with the creepy 30+ year old kids still living with them. Every time there is a marathon, I look for that episode.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2011 @ 6:14 PM

Does everyone know that every "star" is paid for by the person being "honored"??? Just like the Better Business Bureau - people PAY to be on the list

Yes, it is true that Walk of Fame stars are now paid for (usually by a studio), the 'stars' do still have to be approved by a committee, and the criteria hasn't really changed over the years. A person still must be notable; you and I couldn't just pay the fee and get a star.

I feel sad that I'm excited for the show to come back. I need incentive to clean!