Hoarders (A&E): I Had Plans for That Rock!

• Please log in to reply

16966 replies to this topic

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 7:00 PM

This show is set to premiere in Obsessed's time slot on Mondays at 10.

I can't wait! For some strange, strange reason, I love shows about hoarders, what they hoard, why they hoard, and why can't just can't toss that garbage in a dumpster and have it carried off.

Jamie38

Jamie38

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 7:05 PM

I like Hoarder stories too, so this sounds good to me. Does this mean Obsessed is cancelled though?

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 7:12 PM

Toaster Strudel, me too. I don't know why I'm always so interested by people saving 45 years' worth of rubber bands and string. Oprah had an episode awhile back with a woman who was a compulsive shopper as well, and had filled a five-bedroom house to the rafters, to the point that her family could not even come to her house. Oprah's staff cleaned the whole place out and had a giant garage sale, really an aircraft hangar sale, to get rid of it all. The whole thing was trainwreck TV at its finest.

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 7:29 PM

I suspect that Obsessed will be off for Hoarders' premiere because the post-Intervention audience is just what Hoarders need to get started on the right foot. They can't have it premiere after one of those horrid neon episodes of CSI: Miami.

I expect that a new time slot will be announced during/after the show. I don't believe that Obsessed is canceled, unless they run out of nuts in the greater LA area...

Oh and I think I saw an episode like that on Dr Phil. They even had window frames on the kitchen floor, and they just couldn't part with emptied cat food tins... nor could they part with the rotting food caked on the inside. They were living in a trailer on the side of the house, and the trailer was packed to the ceiling already... even the car was used for storage, you couldn't drive it.

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 11:30 PM

If you think about it, pretty much every episode of Clean House is about hoarders. And I completely appreciate people who can't throw stuff away, since I'm one of them and my mother was, too. The pleasure I get out of watching shows like this is the proof that there are people out there much worse than I am.

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 7:53 AM

This show is set to premiere in Obsessed's time slot on Mondays at 10.

When does it start? My ex was a semi-hoarder. We had garbage bags of empty Quaker oatmeal cardboard round tubs in the attic. He would bring home broken office equipment from work and haul it up to the attic. I am a decorator and very organized. Neddless to say, it was a struggle. I would wait till he left for work to put things out into the garbage collection. When he moved from CA to WA with his ex he took a 2nd rental truck up with him that was just filled with old tires, non-working appliances and boxes of unopened junk mail. 2,000 miles of gas costs for that.

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 10:13 AM

By memory, I think it starts August 17.

WhineandCheez Boxes of unopened junk mail??? Criminy, I'm glad to head he's your EX.

Edited by Toaster Strudel, Jul 29, 2009 @ 10:15 AM.

socagal33

socagal33

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 11:14 AM

I didn't care for the show Obessed, but this sounds like a winner. I also don't know why, but I like shows about hoarders. Maybe because I am trying to understand my parents or maybe because I no longer get the Style network and can't watch Nicey and Clean House.

calicowesley

calicowesley

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 12:18 PM

I'm glad I saw this here because I rarely watch A&E. I love watching shows about hoarders because the grossness of their homes always inspires me to clean and de-clutter. I once helped a friend move who was a junior hoarder and the trauma of filling up storage units with all her useless and broken junk set me off on a personal 3-week organization mission.

I just hope they don't show animal hoarders because that is always heartbreaking.

editorgrrl

editorgrrl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 12:25 PM

From the A&E website:

Catch the series premiere of Hoarders Monday, August 17 at 10/9C

Each 60-minute episode of Hoarders is a fascinating look inside the lives of two different people whose inability to part with their belongings is so out of control that they are on the verge of a personal crisis. Whether they're facing eviction, the loss of their children, jail time, or divorce, they are all desperately in need of help. In a fly-on-the-wall style, we'll capture the drama as experts work to put each on the road to recovery. But cleaning is just the first step, like taking drugs away from an addict. The healing won't be easy. For some, throwing away even the tiniest thing -- a sponge, a button, an empty box -- is so painful that they will not be able to allow the cleaning to be completed, no matter the consequences. For others, professional help and an organizer's guidance give them the strength to recover. At the end of each episode we'll find out who has been able to keep their hoarding behavior at bay and who, despite help, is still lost inside this painful disease.

Edited to add that this casting notice from November 2008 had Screaming Flea Productions as the contact, but there's nothing about the show on their website:

Are you or someone you know struggling to overcome compulsive hoarding? The cable television network A&E is looking for people whose lives are in crisis because they are compulsive hoarders.

The crisis can take any form. For example:

• They are about to lose their homes
  • Their spouse is threatening to leave
  • They have health issues caused by the chaos
  • They have to find tax papers so the IRS doesn't audit them
  • Their kids are threatening to cut them off
  • Or any other major issue that can only be resolved by cleaning out their home immediately!
We are casting for a groundbreaking new documentary television series that will provide a team of professionals that can help get those in need started toward cleaning their home, no matter how big or how full. A therapist or professional organizer will also be on hand to help our guest through this difficult process. Whether the guest is ready and able to clean out their entire home in this short period of time, with the assistance and guidance of a professional they will learn valuable skills which will allow them to complete the task at their own pace and keep them from repeating the hoarding behavior in the future.

We are looking for people (as well as their friends and family if possible) willing to spend 3-5 days sharing their stories in the hopes of helping others and getting the help they need!

There is no cost to the guest. All clean up services are paid for in exchange for participating in the show.

Hoarding is a very serious problem affecting millions of Americans and their friends and families. But little is known about this disorder, and too often hoarders are misunderstood and can't find the help they need.

Our hope is that this groundbreaking new documentary television series helps the general public better understand compulsive hoarding while helping compulsive hoarders resolve a crisis.

If you or someone you know is a compulsive hoarder please contact us immediately at: hoarders@sfpseattle.com

And according to her blog, Dorothy Breininger of the Delphi Center for Organization is the show's "expert organizer."

Edited by editorgrrl, Jul 29, 2009 @ 1:12 PM.

socagal33

socagal33

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 5:57 PM

Thanks for all of that info editorgrrl. I thought it started tomorrow.

babyduck

babyduck

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 10:24 PM

My husband is a hoarder. I look to shows like this to help me deal with it. He can't/won't admit he has a problem. So far, it is contained to his office and his half of the bedroom. I have learned from watching these shows how to work with him to get him to go through it and clean it up and out. He has actually cleaned out his bathroom cabinet. The phrase that I heard on one of the hoarding shows was "Do you have an emotional attchment to this?"

Toaster Strudel

Toaster Strudel

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2009 @ 6:39 PM

Nine more days, nine more days... how shall I kill time from now 'til then?

Garage sales?

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2009 @ 10:42 PM

I'm kind of a demihoarder. I have a really hard time throwing things away. I always think I might need it someday and stick it in a box. I recently had stuff in my parents garage and told my dad to throw it all away. I knew if I tried to go through it I would end up keeping everything. I'm getting ready to move across the country (NV -> NY) and need to get my stuff down to a manageable level. Maybe this show will help? I've thrown out about 8 large trashbags of stuff over the past month, but I've kept a lot of stuff I know I don't really need. Hopefully by March I will get down to 3 - 4 medium boxes plus some larger items (bicycle, electronics, etc). I need to get to a point where all my stuff, my cat, and me will fit in the car.*sigh*

Maybe A&E would like to come throw my stuff away for me.

Lulus Pie Shop

Lulus Pie Shop

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 9:06 AM

For those who are interested, there's a documentary called My Mother's Garden that's available to watch for free on MSNBC.com about this very thing.

But yeah, it's fascinating that people are just terrified to do this. I get that way sometimes, but on a much smaller scale.

Cattykit

Cattykit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 10:48 PM

Maybe because I am trying to understand my parents or maybe because I no longer get the Style network and can't watch Nicey and Clean House.

Clean House, like TLC's Clean Sweep, seems fake and contrived to me. People don't live in clean clutter. Witness any episode of How Clean Is Your House? for the reality of filth and garbage. I hope this new show is real.

I've thrown out about 8 large trashbags of stuff over the past month, but I've kept a lot of stuff I know I don't really need.

I am pretty messy, but I look like a neat freak next to my teenager. I once cleaned her 10' x 10' room and took out fourteen large garbage bags. I was only able to do it when she was in school, as she would fight me for the right to keep rotted food and broken crayons. She would be a very good candidate for a hoarding show.

Don Aslett's books are really good for putting belongings in perspective, but the hoarder has to be willing to read them.

pollyprissypant

pollyprissypant

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2009 @ 10:50 PM

I have found my people! I am obsessed (no pun intended) with hoarders. I'm not exactly sure why, but perhaps because I float somewhere between organized and a packrat. As someone mentioned upthread, these shows make me feel better about my life and also inspire me to organize. I can't wait for Monday!

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 1:34 PM

Pollyprissy: Me too!

I like to see hoarders because I can say "Well, at least I'm not THAT bad!" Books are my downfall, it's like pulling teeth for me to throw/giveaway a book, even those I know I won't read again (and believe me, I reread my books). I had to get a shed to store my mother's furniture (which is another thing -- should have just sold it), and it's packed with books, and scrapbooking supplies and scrapbooking magazines, etc. At least I have the shed.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 3:51 PM

Wow, thanks for posting about "My Mother's Garden." What an amazing film. The filmmaker had so much patience with her crazy mom. If the "Hoarders" show is handled with half as much sensitivity, I'll be very impressed.

DivaGal

DivaGal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2009 @ 5:23 PM

I'm really looking forward to this show. I wonder how it wll be handled.

Oddly enough, I don't think Intervention is depressing, but I find Obsessed relentlessly depressing.
Am hoping Hoarders is more Intervention-ish.

I'm a hoarder. I'm working with someone right now. Looking forward to seeing the techniques they use with the hoarders.

msanthropic

msanthropic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2009 @ 1:11 PM

Don Aslett's books are really good for putting belongings in perspective, but the hoarder has to be willing to read them.

More than one book on decluttering has noted that most clutterers have tons of books on how to declutter among their possessions.

I knew my first hoarder in the 70's and always wonder now if newer therapies/meds would have helped her. She was in danger of losing her apartment but couldn't stop bringing home reams of used paper from the office "to use the other side". Add to that pizza boxes, cans, you name it.

editorgrrl

editorgrrl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 14, 2009 @ 3:37 PM

Preview videos are available at http://www.aetv.com/hoarders.

Episode 4
Jennifer & Ron/Jill

Monday, August 17th 10:00 pm ET
Tuesday, August 18th 02:00 am ET
Saturday, August 22nd 05:00 pm ET
Sunday, August 23rd 01:30 pm ET
Jennifer is a young stay at home mom. Both she and her husband Ron, suffer from hoarding and their three kids are growing up with piles of junk, food, and clothing everywhere. They have been cited by the city on numerous occasions. Jennifer lives every day in fear of child protective services coming and taking her kids away and must now try to get the house in order before it's too late. Jill's home is a nightmare. Food in various stages of decay is stuffed among her two freezers and four refrigerators--one of which is held shut by duct tape and a box of dented canned goods. She recently lost her job and knows that if her landlord were to pay a visit she would get evicted immediately.

Episode 1
Patty/Bill

Monday, August 24th 10:00 pm ET
Tuesday, August 25th 02:00 am ET
Saturday, August 29th 01:00 pm ET
Patty and David appear to be living the American dream. But their secret hides behind the manicured yard of their new home. Patty's hoarding has taken over the entire house and their children were removed by authorities. Now, if the family is to have any hope of ever getting their children back, Patty must overcome her compulsive shopping and hoarding and clean out her entire home. For 25 years Lorelei coped with her partner Bill's hoarding. But last year she tripped on a pile of his things, fell down the stairs and broke her arm. Bill didn't seem to care. His clutter has taken over their home, which is filled with junk and nearly uninhabitable. She has given Bill an ultimatum, clean up or move out.

Episode 3
Tara/Betty

Monday, August 31st 10:00 pm ET
Tuesday, September 01st 02:00 am ET
Tara has been reported to her landlord and needs to clean out now or she'll be homeless. She's an obsessive collector, favoring things like McDonald's Happy Meal toys, nativity scenes, snow globes and hundreds of teddy bears. Now Tara must finally get control of her hoarding and part with most of the clutter in her home or face eviction. When fire crews responded to a small fire at Betty's house they discovered her sick husband living in filth. Adult Protective Services removed him from the home because of his medical condition. For the last two months he and Betty have been staying in a hotel--but funds are quickly running out. If Betty doesn't clean up her home and her yard, he may never be able to live in the home again.

Edited by editorgrrl, Aug 14, 2009 @ 3:45 PM.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2009 @ 3:55 PM

couldn't stop bringing home reams of used paper from the office "to use the other side". Add to that pizza boxes, cans, you name it.

That's what I don't understand. I have a stack of used paper so I can use the other side for printing drafts. One stack. I don't have boxes and cans with rotting food in them. Damn. I keep a pretty tight ship and don't like a lot of visual clutter, but I can understand the magazine and book hoarders. I can understand and have known clothes hoarders. But when I see the stacks of dirty food containers, I just want to hurl. It truly must be a mental illness if you don't understand that you are inviting vermin, bugs, and stench into your home and you don't empty the damn trash because you need to keep the dirty boxes. I see people like this on How Clean is Your House and just do.not.get.it.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Aug 14, 2009 @ 4:20 PM

ThatPoshGirl, come sit next to me on my couch. I'll move last week's Sunday Times that I'm still working through.

I'm not a member of the Collyer's family, but I DO have a problem throwing thing away ('what if I could use this?') Recycling makes things worse, because I always try to figure out a way to reuse things.

There was a clip about the show on Today this morning. They spoke who I believe is the woman in the first episode.

I ended up throwing out a half bag of old papers after that :)

Maybe if they have a marathon one weekend, I can totally turn over my apartment!

Adayinthelife

Adayinthelife

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 14, 2009 @ 4:38 PM

That's what I don't understand. I have a stack of used paper so I can use the other side for printing drafts. One stack. I don't have boxes and cans with rotting food in them. Damn. I keep a pretty tight ship and don't like a lot of visual clutter, but I can understand the magazine and book hoarders. I can understand and have known clothes hoarders. But when I see the stacks of dirty food containers, I just want to hurl. It truly must be a mental illness if you don't understand that you are inviting vermin, bugs, and stench into your home and you don't empty the damn trash because you need to keep the dirty boxes. I see people like this on How Clean is Your House and just do.not.get.it.

I feel the same way. Clothes, books, magazines, I get it. I understand wanting to hold onto those things. But straight up garbage? I don't get it either.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 14, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

Recycling makes things worse, because I always try to figure out a way to reuse things.

Ha! I know what you mean. I just finished my second year of college and I have a huge box full of every piece of paper I have received in that time, not because I think I will need it, but because I keep saying I'm going to take up paper making as a hobby. That's actually my big problem. I keep taking up hobbies and not following through, lol. I have brand new rock hounding/geology equipment still in a box, balls of yarn, boxes of knitting needles, crochet hooks, knitting looms, both digital and film cameras, etc everywhere.

I can't wait for this show. I'm hoping, like others have said, that it will make me feel a little closer to normal.

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2009 @ 9:26 PM

Clean House, like TLC's Clean Sweep, seems fake and contrived to me. People don't live in clean clutter.

I agree I haven't seen any cockroaches or other vermin on Clean House, but I do remember one young married couple that had used condoms on the floor of their bedroom. Who would make stuff like that up?

ETA: I have posted on many threads on TWoP, but after reading your posts here I know I have trully found my people.

Edited by LogCabinPat, Aug 14, 2009 @ 9:28 PM.

The Plot Device

The Plot Device

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 10:06 PM

Did the parents have any kind of therapist there? The main person offering help introduced herself only as an "organizer" and she brought what appeared to be hired help to trash things. There didn't seem to be any kind of support system or therapy on-hand to try to help the couple realize how it got to be as bad as it was.

I can't think the couple's only problem was hoarding and obsessive shopping either. If you notice, almost every room had drawings all over the walls that must have been there for years as their kids grew.

I'm the oldest of three boys and I never remember our laundry being that bad even on the worst days where my parents were working two jobs each and didn't have time to do it all day. We had a designated space in the basement that might be a bit crowded every now and again, but it wouldn't spill out up the stairs and into a hallway.

I understand the hoarding mentality somewhat and I can certainly see how Jill could see the world with her rotting food. Strangely I know a lot of elderly people who are willing to ignore expiration dates because they think it's still good.

However, I don't quite understand the parents: the wife buys a lot of things and the husband never wants to throw anything that's broken out thinking he can use it or repair it later. How does that explain the dirty laundry that could be "repaired" by doing said laundry sometime over the course of two months? How does that explain leaving a box of cereal rotting on the floor because "the dog wouldn't eat it."

The real problem seemed to be a mixture of the wife not knowing how to organize/clean and the husband enabling her by making things more cluttered. Since they received no on-camera therapy to help them overcome this, I can't help but think their house will just re-clutter itself when the cameras leave.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 10:08 PM

Whoa, shout out to Louvul! That poor little boy, maybe they could have asked him to give it to another family maybe through Freecycle instead of just busting it up? It looked ok, and might have given him some closure.

"It's not puffy, it's expensive, and it is something I can eat on my diet."

Uh, what kind of diet would that be now? Free Range Green Buffalo Pumpkin Seed Tacky Fly Soup with Kitty Litter Crunch Yogurt.

Blurg. Jill has a mental illness, and they should study her immune system. Wow. To not throw up among all that rotten food, takes mad skills.

FatFuzz

FatFuzz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 10:12 PM

I really feel for the guys that had to clean Jill's house. That was the most disgusting house I have ever seen. And she didn't believe in the expiration dates? The smell must have been overwhelming, yet she seemed unfazed.