True Blood TV Series VS. Book Series: To Read Or Not To Read?

• Please log in to reply

2786 replies to this topic

muffilator

muffilator

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

The next book comes out this week - May 1st.

CC8118

CC8118

Just Tuned In

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

I have a feeling the series'll end with Sookie and Sam getting together, but I also gotta say that I was so disappointed by the last book that I'm seriously thinking of giving up on the whole series. It's kind of annoying.

It's so close to the end... DON'T GIVE UP!! Lol! I've always thought Sam and Sookie would be the end game as well... as it should be! I love Sam and he deserves a good woman! I just got through reading the newest book that came out yesterday (book 12). It was actually a really good one! Since it looks like book 13 will be the end of all things Sookie, Charlaine is really tying up some loose ends in this newest installment. I thought book 11 was a little meh myself. Kind of a filler book. This one definately has meat on it's bones!

Just a little bone to pick with the show... I'm sure someone has mentioned this somewhere in the last 183 pages but it really kills me how much they changed Sam's character on the show. I don't know why they couldn't leave just one character "good". He's such an ass! End rant.

Edited by CC8118, May 2, 2012 @ 2:46 PM.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

Charlaine Harris should have wrapped this up 2 or 3 books ago. What a poorly written book, it really is just a filler until her last book next year. I truly believe she is just in it for the money for these last books. Dead Reckoning was dumb, and now Dead Locked was just boring. How many times do we have to be told that Sookie longs for a 'normal' life. We know, she keeps thinking about it, but then she still loves Eric, who treats her like his slave.

Sookie and Eric are just plain tiring, they both act stupid, so sick of no communication between them. Tell me again why these two are suppose to be so in love? I don't get it. They stopped being interesting several books ago, both of them have not changed or grown at all for quite a while.

The best thing that could happen is that Eric decides to marry the Queen, at last he will be with someone who isn't such a whiner or acts so stupid. And I hope that all of Sookie's old suitors tell her to get lost. Bill, Quinn and Sam all deserve better then her.

CH, you really have jumped the shark. Such a sorry ending for a series that started out really great. Of course, her last book may be her saving grace, but I really doubt it. CH has already been quoted as saying that she may have to go into hiding from some of her fans when the last book comes out. Well, it certainly will not be the Bill or Quinn or Sam fans that she will have to hide from.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

I just finished reading the most recent book. It was eh. I mean, I still enjoyed it but it wasn't worth buying at new prices. I should have gone to the library.

I love Sam and he deserves a good woman!

Reading the new book, I just kept thinking about how angry I am that TB made Sam into a murderer. That's just so so wrong in a million different ways! And I think it may have ruined any shipping I had ever done of the two of them.

muffilator

muffilator

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

I liked the latest book. It moved at a fast pace and Harris is obviously trying to tie up loose ends.

I do hate Harris' habit of introducing pieces of information from other books that aren't officially in the series. There was a brief update on Quinn (I know, I know ... he only gets three pages) but I thought to myself, when the hell did that happen? It was probably in one of the spin off anthologies.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:24 AM

Re: Deadlocked -
Spoiler

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

re: deadlocked (and romantic idiot):

Spoiler

Spoiler

I was weirded out by the Quinn update too. I must have missed that story. I have no problem with short stories but I want them to be all on their own and not referenced in the books.
Spoiler

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Spoiler

RE: Quinn. Well there's one more book to go, I guess.
Spoiler

Edited by romantic idiot, May 12, 2012 @ 10:05 AM.

Sarah O

Sarah O

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

The thing I liked about this book was the relative normality of Sookie's life in it. She was shown interacting with a lot of humans and doing normal human things, like cooking food for friends and family. It seemed to me that she was around vampires less in this book than any of the others. It transitions well to where I think she's headed. But I think Eric's actions in this book were handled just as arbitrarily as Bill's were when CH was breaking up Sookie and Bill -- having them around less all of a sudden without a convincing reason in the end.

Sorry I'm being a little vague, but I can't seem to figure out where the spoiler tags are anymore, and I'm trying not to say anything I shouldn't!

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

having them around less all of a sudden without a convincing reason in the end.

I think this is a great example of lazy writing by CH. She would rather have us read pages and pages of the normal, boring part of Sookie's days, but good grief, let's not get into any kind of in depth look and discussions about Sookie's relationships. Does CH not know how to write any kind of meaningful discussion between Sookie and her current paramour? She did the same thing in DUD and CD between Bill and Sookie.

IMO, the only good and meaningful conversations Sookie had in DL were with Bill and Sam,both men she considers good friends.

But with Eric, nada, which should be a big clue on where Sookie and Eric will end up.

Edited by azbabe2229, May 16, 2012 @ 9:59 PM.

Coconuts

Coconuts

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I think this is a great example of lazy writing by CH. She would rather have us read pages and pages of the normal, boring part of Sookie's days, but good grief, let's not get into any kind of in depth look and discussions about Sookie's relationships. Does CH not know how to write any kind of meaningful discussion between Sookie and her current paramour? She did the same thing in DUD and CD between Bill and Sookie.

Well, he's a man, so that makes him incapable of talking about relationships, doesn't it?

This book made such an impact I keep forgetting I read it.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 4:03 AM

Now that she's given a clear indication of the final end game, I've lost all interest in the series. And I don't know how much I'm looking forward to TB Season 5 also, after what AB did to Book 4. So. I don't know what to do **wails** I'm also annoyed that I'm disappointed to even read right now.

kalibean

kalibean

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Romantic idiot, I feel exactly the same way! Well, except that I cheated and went straight for the last chapter of the newest book to see what happened. And I put it down and haven't bothered to read the rest. I'll wait until next year and just read the last two together.

TB Season 4 is the only that I haven't bought on BluRay, and I've ignored the reruns as well. It was all I could do to not cringe through certain segments. I will watch Season Five, though, because it looks like a return to vampires. We'll see.

Between the mess of Season Four and the past couple of books, I've actually found several fanfic stories to be more compelling. And that's probably what keeps me interested in TB...it's just really expensive fanfic with really hot naked people. Thank you, Skarsgard. And Mangianello.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

AB never promised to write TB to follow the books. In fact, he has said from the beginning that he has his own vision of what these characters will be going thru in his world of True Blood.

He always takes scenes and characters from the books and does how own thing with them, and I for one have enjoyed most of it thru all 4 seasons.

In S4, AB gave in to many fans requests and did the AE s/l from the books, but again did it the Alan Ball way. AE seemed to be done as a farce of some kind, with all of those cheesy lines that he gave to AE and Sookie. It certainly did not come out sexy or romantic, especially the 'shower scene' that many seemed to look forward to. From snow falling in the shower to the bed in the forest and AE's awful line to Sookie: "can we make love in it", it seemed like a cartoon of some type.

What is that old adage? "Be careful what you wish for". Especially when Alan Ball is in charge, LOL

Since the books have gotten boring and Sookie seems to be even denser than ever, I am so glad that AB has veered away from CH's story.

kris5711

kris5711

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

Romantic idiot - what are the indications?? I'm dying here!

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

kris
Spoiler

AB never promised to write TB to follow the books.

I know, I never expected him to. I just didn't like the story he told instead. I didn't like the story he told instead in Season 3 either, which is why I was hoping he wouldn't stray too far in Season 4, because I knew that book plotline worked for me. And I didn't like the story he told in Season 2 either, except the Godric parts. So, in general, especially given Bill & Sucky, I don't like where CH is headed and I don't like where AB is headed which really gives me no reason to stick around in Sookie's world. Which I'm sad about because i did like both of their visions in the beginning. And I was so looking forward to what AB did since I've been reading CH since 2006.

PS: I'm putting the story of the latest book under spoilers since I don't think it's available in paperback yet.

ETA: Actually in Season 3, I did like the bits to do with Russell, for the most part. Except Eric being so monumentally stupid in the end which almost killed the whole thing in retrospect.

Edited by romantic idiot, May 26, 2012 @ 12:49 PM.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

and I don't like where AB is headed which really gives me no reason to stick around in Sookie's world.

I feel that way about the books, I feel that CH has given up writing about Sookie, she extended her contract by 3 books when TB become a big hit, which seems to be a big mistake in hindsight. And yes, in the last 3 books she has started to break down the relationship between Sookie and Eric slowly but surely. Eric was such a jerk in DL, and Sookie was no better.

But AB has done a great job, IMO, in straying so far from the books so that we just don't know what will happen next. Which is what I enjoy about TB. To know what will happen because AB is following the books would be so dull. And only because CH has been writing the same story for the past few years, i.e Sookie in distress, Sookie being kidnapped, Sookie being upset with Eric, etc. And this is mostly due to a SPOV in the books, goodness I got tired of that by Book 2. But I keep slogging thru, I just hope DEA will redeem my faith in CH to write a great last book.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

He always takes scenes and characters from the books and does how own thing with them

I would be totally fine with that if I didn't think some of his choices were shit. (Or Sookie/Bill fanboying).

In S4, AB gave in to many fans requests and did the AE s/l from the books

That's what I mean about his fanboying ruining parts of the show. If he wasn't going to really do Sookie and Eric because he loves Bill too much, then he shouldn't have bothered because what we got was not well done, no matter who you are shipping (or if you are shipping nobody).

Kalibean, I haven't bought S4 either. It's disappointing because I love that book and then it comes on screen and we got...that. I'm excited about S5, but I'm also kind of dreading it, because I never know what new crap there is going to be. Then again, hated half of what he did to S2 as well, so I guess that's not new.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by My Way, May 27, 2012 @ 10:32 PM.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 2:10 AM

But AB has done a great job, IMO, in straying so far from the books so that we just don't know what will happen next.

Except I do think I know what will happen next. Sucky will end up with Beel. Since I don't like Sucky, neither do I like Beel why should i keep watching. 4 season is enough proof to know that Eric is not going to be treated well by Ball.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

I'm sorry but I think Eric is treated fine by Ball. I don't see how he's been badly treated in the slightest to be honest.

Anyways, read Deadlocked, mostly found it meh, so it's probably a good thing this series, book wise is coming to an end.

Sarah O

Sarah O

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

darkestboy, I feel the same way. I think Eric comes across really well in AB's world. I never bought into Eric loving Sookie or being monogamous in CH's books -- it is totally against his character and comes across to me as total wish fulfillment by CH that a glamourous, powerful, ancient vampire who could have anyone would go against his own nature and fall in love with a mortal like Sookie. He is infinitely more interesting to me when he is uncommitted and pursuing his own interests and only grudgingly helping Sookie.

On the other hand, I totally buy that a vampire like Bill would fall in love with Sookie and be monogamous. Before he was turned, Bill was a faithful husband who loved his wife and family. He even spurned Lorena's advances when he had presumably been without a woman for a very long time. Sookie comes from the part of the world where he's from and understands the life he led. Part of him wants to go back to that, and I think Sookie represents a way for him to do it, as far as he is able now that he's a vampire. That's why I am a Sookie/Bill shipper and never liked when CH broke them up for such a stupid reason (I don't think they really broke up over his lying to her about why he came to Bon Temps. I think it was far more mundane in the books, like his travelling all the time for his stupid directory). Then Bill remained spinelessly devoted to Sookie, who acted like she could care less about him. So for AB to hold out hope that Bill and Sookie will end up together in his world is far more interesting to me than the books are and more faithful to how I see the characters.

All that said, I can understand why people don't think Sookie will end up with any vampire since she herself doesn't want to be turned. Since she clearly prefers supes, I guess we're limited to weres and shifters, and the Alcide ship has definitely sailed in the books. That doesn't leave too many choices, and I prefer who I think CH is aiming for over anyone else.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

darkestboy and Sarah O, I agree completely with both of your posts. The books have gotten stale while TB just gets better, and that's because it is NOT following the books, thank goodness.

AB has done a great job with all of the characters, and Eric on TB is so much more interesting than Eric in the books. I don't care who Sookie ends up with in the books or on the show, but there was no doubt for most fans that the AE/S story on the show blew chunks. Eric is so much more captivating as a BAMF vamp who does not moon over anyone. That is not who Eric is.

And Bill Compton's arc in S4 was such a surprise, I thought he made a great vampire King, so much better at ruling than KRE or QSA ever did.

And now in S5, Bill and Eric are going to have a 'bromance' and those two have so much more chemistry together than AE/S ever did in S4.

TB is great entertainment, always surprising people with what happens. And it's one of HBO's most popular shows, so AB is obviously doing something right.

cosmic1

cosmic1

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

I just finished the newest book and the ending threw me off - it seemed kind of abrupt to me. I was like, what? It was like Charlaine got tired of writing and decided that was the end of the book. I was somewhat disappointed with it and would have liked a better ending.

Since a lot of the show elements have diverged from the book, I am enjoying both as separate entities. I see True Blood as fanfic, that is similar enough, but not the same story. I don't really have any idea where AB is going with his version of the story, so I am looking forward to the new season.

azbabe2229

azbabe2229

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Since a lot of the show elements have diverged from the book, I am enjoying both as separate entities.

AB had said from the very beginning of the show that he was taking CH's characters and putting his own spin on it. It's going on 5 years and the criticism that he diverged from the books still comes up, LOL

About DL, it did end abruptly and that ending has upset many Eric fans. DEA is one year away and it is going to be a long year with all of the suitor wars going on even more fiercely than ever before, if you can believe that :-)

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

So, I had a thought I'm going to put in the episode thread, but I guess it belongs here as well. Based on what we've seen so far, it seems like Tara is not going to be Bubba, but rather Jake the depressed vampire werewolf from Book 7. I wonder if she's going to get involved in some anti-vampire terrorism thing, but then she sort of did that already last season.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

Based on what we've seen so far, it seems like Tara is not going to be Bubba, but rather Jake the depressed vampire werewolf from Book 7. I wonder if she's going to get involved in some anti-vampire terrorism thing, but then she sort of did that already last season.

Except I really like Tara's story in the books I'm okay with her being Jake. I wish they would do some variation on the bombing at the hotel story. I really liked that one.

I would be totally fine with that if I didn't think some of his choices were shit. (Or Sookie/Bill fanboying).

I agree MyWay. There have been additions I have enjoyed, Jessica and Russell, and changes I have hated - his treatment of the were community as a whole, the ongoing Arlene and Terry saga, the Manead, starting to hate Lafayette. So far, the stuff I have hated seems to outweigh the stuff I liked. I would like to get back to more vamp stuff and off the extraneous crap. Oh and we get these extended stories that go nowhere or have little to no payoff. That also doesn't entertain me.

Edited by joanne3482, Jun 25, 2012 @ 9:29 AM.

PhineasPoe

PhineasPoe

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Did anyone else find it funny that Jessica was in a store called Tracy's Togs? In the book Tara has a store called Tara's Togs.

annsterg

annsterg

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

So...I guess we won't be seeing Sandra Pelt in the True Blood universe, since Sunday's episode made a big deal of Debbie Pelt being the Pelt's only child...

muffilator

muffilator

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Sandra Pelt is adopted in the books.

Edited by muffilator, Jun 27, 2012 @ 12:17 PM.

kems28

kems28

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Did anyone else notice the credits on Sunday's episode? There was an actor credited as playing
Spoiler