True Blood TV Series VS. Book Series: To Read Or Not To Read?

• Please log in to reply

2786 replies to this topic

MeganF

MeganF

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 10:57 PM

I think the show has such a fast pace when compared to the books that, to keep Sookie and Eric apart because of some short term memory loss, just wouldn't work for the show. In my opinion, the story demands for them to dive into the consequences of what they've been through, both romantically as well as individuals.

While I agree with previous posters that Eric's retaining his memories of being with Sookie is necessary for the expediated timeline of the show, what bothered me about the way it happened was how calm he seemed to be as he reconciled these memories with his other memories. This was a character that, despite clearly having feelings for Sookie, rarely allowed himself to reveal them to her except in ways that emphasized his (both perceived and actual) control over her. That he could suddenly remember that he not only offered, but deeply desired, to give up his identity and this control without feeling slightly humiliated and angry and confused seems completely OOC for me. Witnessing Eric attempt to form the hybrid between "him", as he referred to Amnesia!Eric, and "me" would have been, to me, a much more plausible and interesting roadblock for he and Sookie to face than her continued feelings for Bill.

ETA: I realized I should probably make it more explicit why I am posting this in the book thread (I'm still quite new here!). In the books, we obviously saw Eric dealing with the very mixed feelings he had when he finally learned what he had offered to leave behind for Sookie, and those moments were some of my favourite in the series.

Edited by MeganF, Sep 2, 2011 @ 11:02 PM.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 9:31 AM

I think the show has such a fast pace when compared to the books that, to keep Sookie and Eric apart because of some short term memory loss, just wouldn't work for the show. In my opinion, the story demands for them to dive into the consequences of what they've been through, both romantically as well as individuals.

While I agree with previous posters that Eric's retaining his memories of being with Sookie is necessary for the expediated timeline of the show, what bothered me about the way it happened was how calm he seemed to be as he reconciled these memories with his other memories.

Granted, he took it a lot better than I thought he would but I think that goes to 1000 years old of maturity more than anything else. One of the things TV Northman has always said is that he's not weak, he doesn't like to be seen as such, yet he owned it in a way I have nothing but respect for.

Edited by zomb, Sep 3, 2011 @ 9:31 AM.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 12:19 PM

True BUT Eric did have Sookie's house remolded after Marianne destroyed it. I took that gesture as a wink wink nudge nudge to the book fans (like myself) who were thrilled when Eric had her driveway paved.

And yet Ball did it in a way that ensured that it wouldn't endear Eric to Sookie, or fans, at all.

Exactly. He leaves the little things from the books but completely changes their meaning and their impact (generally to make Eric lame and Bill much better).

And I liked that she came to that decision herself as opposed to being informed about the procuring angle

Me too. And it seems like the show is going to go into some angle that the only reason Bill is not with Sookie is because he lied, not that he manufactured their entire relationship. That pisses me off.

On a different note, I wonder what they're going to do with Debbie at this point...

Edited by My Way, Sep 3, 2011 @ 12:21 PM.

Sparkwriter

Sparkwriter

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 9:23 PM

Well, Debbie has been abjured, so yay for a tiny bit of book/show continuity! I wonder how the rest of her storyline will play out, given that Eric has his memory back already, which makes the Debbie shooting/disappearance and his participation moot and the whole Sandra thing seems pretty unlikely. Also, I really wish good old Col. Flood could have shown up and thrown the whole creepy/dumb Marcus/Sam/Alcide/Tommy/Luna rigamarole out the window.

pollybug

pollybug

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

I think Ball had Col. Flood in the third season in Jackson, didn't he? When he and Alcide met in the woods? ... Sigh ... :(

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

Speaking of abjuring, Debbie was abjured, though for a fairly mild reason, I thought. But, here's the one spot where I thought the actress fell short, or the direction fell short, maybe.

The actress has been pretty stellar throughout the last 2 seasons, but here, the gravity of abjuring just couldn't be made out from her reaction. From what I got, a wolf abjuring a fellow wolf, was basically declaring them non-existent, and there can be no coming back from that. And that's what Joe M was saying. But Debbie was like 'say it isn't so' more than 'no, God, please, no God, I beg of you, don't kill me off', which I would have expected it to be. Seemed like another were thing, rather than being a big were thing. Of course, maybe they played it that way to show that Debbie didn't take Alcide seriously, which is why she'd think that killing Sookie (like Alcide killed Marcus) would be okay, and then they'd be together. Or maybe Debbie still has her perceptions and reactions tempered by V, but I just didn't feel like I saw that level of devastation I'd have expected, and this way, there's almost no reason for Debbie to come after Sookie, because Sookie wasn't the reason why Alcide abjured her.

Not that i have any idea whether Debbie will go after Sookie or not, in the finale. Going by the book storyline here.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 7:34 PM

Speaking of abjuring, Debbie was abjured, though for a fairly mild reason, I thought.

I know there was some disagreement on this, but I thought it was pretty clear that slept with Marcus or at the very least was about to. I don't consider cheating, again, some more, to be a mild reason although I think something more dramatic would have given it some punch. I think Alcide had just had it.

Of course, maybe they played it that way to show that Debbie didn't take Alcide seriously, which is why she'd think that killing Sookie (like Alcide killed Marcus) would be okay, and then they'd be together.

I'm not sure that would make any sense, since Sookie wasn't even present when all this Marcus shit went down. I really don't know where they are going with this at all.

Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

Totally loved Ball's changes to the Debbie/Alcide/abjuring scene.

In the book, Alcide basically finally realizes that Debbie is an inexplicably rotten h*llb*tch, and that she tried to kill Sookie for basically no reason.

In the show, (1) Alcide is this great self-hating echo of Bill; (2) Debbie has hooked up with another wolf just like Alcide was afraid she would (and probably *because* he was so afraid she would, at some level); (3) Alcide's in this awesome self-hating Marcus-hating Debbie-hating WOLF-HATING rage, full of adrenalin and seven feet of vibrating muscle, to the point where you can believe he's about to *kill* Debbie and you wouldn't be all that surprised if he did and (4) pow - he does something just as drastic and tragic, and it's got this subculture mysticism about it, and you can see her panic, and the tragedy of the situation is that while he's abjuring her, he's removing her ability to explain or apologize, just like he's killing her. (And just like Sam shut down Tommy, ultimately killing him). Loved it.

Edited by Vercingetorix, Sep 7, 2011 @ 3:22 PM.

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 2:40 PM

Speaking of abjuring, Debbie was abjured, though for a fairly mild reason, I thought.

I don't think he abjured Debbie only for cheating on him - I think he partially blames her for turning him into (1st) and accessory to Tommy's murder and (2nd) an actual murderer (of Marcus, and in self-defense, but still). SHE wanted them in the pack, SHE wanted him to get in good with Marcus. Because he was trying to keep her happy and sober, he got into the situation that caused him to WOLF!RAGE his fist into Marcus's throat. AND she fucked that greasy sociopath? Shit, I'd abjure her, too!

I LOOOOOOVED that Ball kept in the abjuring scene, even though it was different. Vercingetorix, I, too, liked the way it played out on the show better. Joe is usually not much of an actor but he did a fantastic job with that scene. Brit's reaction didn't quite do it for me, but I was too busy watching Joe knock it out of the park to care.

kmg

kmg

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 2:48 PM

If Sandra Pelt does show up, I vote that she and Debbie are identical twins - just because I really like Brit Morgan, and I wonder what she'd do as Sandra.

geminigirl789

geminigirl789

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 4:03 PM

If Sandra Pelt does show up, I vote that she and Debbie are identical twins - just because I really like Brit Morgan, and I wonder what she'd do as Sandra.

Great idea. I think that Sandra had dark hair, but that's easy.
I thought that Debbie's reaction on the show was perfect. She's just be caught in almost flagrante delecto with Marcus, she's high on V, and hubby just killed the delectee. She was freaking out and just crumbling before Alcide's withering fury.
As for Alcide, he'd done everything he could. Took her back after Cooter and the V (how he could touch her after that is beyond me. Is there a bathtub full of lysol somewhere??), moved to a new town to get her away from the old bad influences, and she goes behind his back on the pack thing, and then shags greaseball Marcus. Seriously, she's lucky he only abjured her.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 10:56 AM

I don't consider cheating, again, some more, to be a mild reason although I think something more dramatic would have given it some punch.

I just mean that cheating oes not seem to be an uncommon occurence. Being abjured for cheating, again, some more, as opposed to cold blooded murder and deliberately getting a friend raped, just seems a little light, and trivialises the big deal that abjuring is supposed to be.

The thing in the books, is that Alcide was cold. It was a big decision, and he did not take it recklessly. He thought about it, and it was big. Here, it's just done in the heat of the moment,and leaves the door open for Debbie to think he'll change his mind. Debbie in the books had no doubt Alcide would stick to his guns.

And I don't doubt that Brit Morgan's reaction fit the situation, I just think that I didn't get the sheer devastation I woul have expected at the moment, and i wonder why, because it's not lack of actor talent.

Madselin

Madselin

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

I think, at that point, Alcide had just had it. Catching her in his house, in his bedroom, with the murderer, wearing just her panties and a little girl downstairs AND after all the crap she put him through with Cooter--well, she just crossed several lines there. The scene in the book is much more formal and thought out, as you say, but I thought this one worked, too.

Does this mean that Debbie is going to go after Sookie--again--and this time Sookie will have to kill her? Who will help Sookie bury her if she doesn't have Amnesia Eric around? Or will they go in an entirely different direction?

Noelle610

Noelle610

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2011 @ 2:14 PM

Who will help Sookie bury her if she doesn't have Amnesia Eric around?

Ha, this is kind of funny. Just yesterday I was reading a chat on the Washington Post website with Charlaine Harris. She will be ending the Sookie Stackhouse story with book 13. One person on the chat asked her if she was going to end the series with Sookie in jail for committing murder.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 9:52 AM

But it wasn't murder, right? At least in Debbie's case? It was self defense. Very clear cut.

Noelle610

Noelle610

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 3:11 PM

But it wasn't murder, right? At least in Debbie's case? It was self defense. Very clear cut.

Oh yeah, I think you're totally right. I think this person was just trying to poke fun on how often the characters in Harris' world get away with killing other characters with no consequences. I believe it was also a jab at the incompetent law enforcement (i.e. Andy Belfleur). The more I think about it, though, the more I think the assessment may be off-base. If I'm remembering correctly, Sookie was very upset by all of the killing going on once supes entered her life in the first few books.

Edited by Noelle610, Sep 10, 2011 @ 3:16 PM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2011 @ 10:44 PM

I think Debbie might have been the first character who died exactly like on the books.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 7:03 AM

I think Debbie might have been the first character who died exactly like on the books.

Except for the Tara shooting and lack of Eric cleanup afterwards (although I guess that could still happen).

So, AB's Sookie thinks Bill lied to her to protect her (even though he was lying before he even knew her) and has forgiven him already? I about threw a brick at the screen when she said that.

muffilator

muffilator

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

So, AB's Sookie thinks Bill lied to her to protect her (even though he was lying before he even knew her) and has forgiven him already? I about threw a brick at the screen when she said that.

I am fanwanking this as forgiving does not mean forgetting. It started in a bad place, but became love, puppies and flowers. Sookie still knows what he did, but Bill does love her.

geminigirl789

geminigirl789

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 6:04 AM

Since AB has said that they won't be casting Bubba, which is understandable as vampElvis might be a step too far, even for HBO, I think that Tara will be the brain-damaged vamp guardian of our heroine. From the angle I saw, it sure looked like part of Tara's head was blown off, so even if she's turned, that bit won't heal since she wasn't a vamp when the injury happened.
Debbie Pelt's dying was close to the books, except for the Tara getting in the way part. There's still time for Eric and/or Bill to show up and dispose of the body.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 8:57 AM

Yeah, but half the point was that Sookie couldn't know where Debbie was buried. Eric buried Debbie, and he forgot, so Debbie's body was truly lost, till Eric remembered in Book 8(? I think).

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 8:41 PM

So, AB's Sookie thinks Bill lied to her to protect her (even though he was lying before he even knew her) and has forgiven him already?

I'll go with what I read in the episode thread: Sookie might have forgiven Bill but she only told Eric they couldn't be together. Parrot-phrasing, this must mean Eric is the one her heart has chosen (even if her head told her to break up with both of them).

Edited by agora, Sep 18, 2011 @ 8:42 PM.

GrantsHistory

GrantsHistory

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2011 @ 4:31 PM

If the show is so intent on pursuing the Jason-Jessica pairing, and it looks like the Fae War may play a part in Season 5 as well, I wonder if Jessica could suffer Crystal's fate as presented in the books. I know True Blood Crystal wasn't very popular around these parts (which is a total understatement), so I don't think her dying would have the same visceral gut-punch that Ball and Co might be looking for; they'ld want to maximize the impact I think. The bloodlines/children issue is not a factor with Jessica, but I do think that if Book Crystal's fate happened to Jessica, that would be a huge emotional punch to the audience (at least most of it).

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 10:01 AM

Since AB has said that they won't be casting Bubba, which is understandable as vampElvis might be a step too far, even for HBO, I think that Tara will be the brain-damaged vamp guardian of our heroine. From the angle I saw, it sure looked like part of Tara's head was blown off, so even if she's turned, that bit won't heal since she wasn't a vamp when the injury happened.

LoL good lawd I hope this isn't what happens! I don't wanna see half wit vampire Tara being a gofer for Eric & Bill. I seem to remember that in the 1st book it was explained the reason why Elvis vampire wasn't "all together" is because of all the drugs and alcohol he did when he was alive. It damaged his brain. I believe it was mentioned that part of a vampire's strength & intellegence is determined by how well he took care of himself while he was alive.

Honestly I don't really care for Bubba in the books. I really don't like that Harris took a musical icon and turned him into nothing more than a semi-retarded errand boy for the other vampires.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 5:13 PM

I'll go with what I read in the episode thread: Sookie might have forgiven Bill but she only told Eric they couldn't be together.

I'm less concerned that she's forgiven Bill then with her reasoning for it (that all the lies were to protect her, because that's just bullshit), but I do hope that you are right that her 'heart' has chosen Eric. I just can't deal with all the excuses made for Bill.

Count me in on the "no brain damaged Tara" camp. Yuck.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:50 AM

I'll go with what I read in the episode thread: Sookie might have forgiven Bill but she only told Eric they couldn't be together. Parrot-phrasing, this must mean Eric is the one her heart has chosen (even if her head told her to break up with both of them).

I'm less concerned that she's forgiven Bill then with her reasoning for it (that all the lies were to protect her, because that's just bullshit), but I do hope that you are right that her 'heart' has chosen Eric.

To be honest, I believe her heart always chose Eric but Bill was the "less dificult" option to deal with.

From that perspective, it was only logical that Sookie would forgive Bill because she lied to herself just as much as she lied to him.

Edited by agora, Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:52 AM.

GGobsessed

GGobsessed

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

She will be ending the Sookie Stackhouse story with book 13.

Whoa. The next book coming out is book 12, right? Or was that the one that just came out? Crap. The one I just read was the one in which Sookie breaks her bond with Eric.

I have a feeling the series'll end with Sookie and Sam getting together, but I also gotta say that I was so disappointed by the last book that I'm seriously thinking of giving up on the whole series. It's kind of annoying.

I wonder if the show will ever really make Alcide as big of a jerk in the show as he becomes in the book.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

She will be ending the Sookie Stackhouse story with book 13.

Whoa. The next book coming out is book 12, right? Or was that the one that just came out?

I thought she already ended it on book 10, this means there are three more?!

Edited by agora, Jan 29, 2012 @ 10:49 PM.

GGobsessed

GGobsessed

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 2:08 AM

Book 11 was the last one out.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Nah, around Book 8 or 9 her publishers gave her another 3 book deal in addition to the 10 she had before. So 13 is the last book and so that's 2 more. I still really like the books, but 13 is a good time to end it.

Reading this thread really makes me miss Bookie. I agree that I find TB to be ridiculous and often not in a good way. I don't the books for being campy, over the top or not particularly well written. But they are fun! I do feel with TB that I get frustrated with the show and watch it more from a curiosity standpoint.