1-7: "Steak Knife" 2009.07.20 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

54 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2009 @ 10:22 AM

From Sho.com:

A man is admitted with a steak knife sticking out of his chest. He was on a first date with a woman whose ex-husband stabbed him. Eddie gives Jackie a Cartier bracelet for their one-year anniversary, but she rejects the gift. A baby is left in the nurses’ station and Akalitus takes the infant to her office. O’Hara, who is usually on her game, is beginning to crack – there’s a crisis in her private life. Jackie invites her to spend the night in Queens. Grace begins school at Immaculate Virgin, and her parents are hopeful that private school will ease her anxiety.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2009 @ 10:31 PM

What was the deal with the bills that O'Hara (?) put in her purse?

Wittgenstein

Wittgenstein

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2009 @ 11:24 PM

I came here to ask why the husband was pissed, but your question (I think) answered it for me.

The lovely (but proud) hubby was pissed because he was aware (I think) that she opened their mail and was going to pay their bills for them. He went from feeling sorry for her to realizing that she was actually pitying them or going to repay their kindness by taking on some financial responsibility/burden without asking.

I think.

Edited by Wittgenstein, Jul 20, 2009 @ 11:27 PM.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 12:30 AM

Yeah, he was already irritated by her condescending attitude toward his home. And then the idea that she saw them as a charity case infuriated him.

And I totally see his point. She was rude and it was out of bounds. And he is a proud man who doesn't need charity. But intentions have to count for something. And she just wants to help her friend and this family. She obviously is ignorant of basic social norms but the fact that her heart was in the right place matters.

m love

m love

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 1:02 AM

I think Jackie's husband saw her as off-putting, but didn't really dislike her... until he saw the bills. She was seen earlier talking to Jackie about paying for the school, and she found the bills so then thought that she would help them out this way instead.

So all we know is that O'Hara's personal crisis has something to do with her step father and it's something her sister doesn't know about him?

Wittgenstein

Wittgenstein

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 1:16 AM

I just don't understand why the show feels the need to humiliate and demean the chief administrator weak in, weak out (ranging from the drug trip to the stun gun).

I feel sorry for the actress in what is essentially a thankless role.

The writer's regular acts of disrespect (as opposed to the character's) really diminishes an otherwise fine show.

Funyun

Funyun

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 1:52 AM

I'm not particularly offended by Akilitis (spelling?) but rather I just don't see the point to her. If she doesn't serve a point as administrator in the storyline, then don't have her in the episode, simple as that. These little subplots seem thin, and that's being generous.

I'm intrigued by what's going on in O'Hara's private life, whatever it is. I'm guessing it must be something big, because if it's something little...I just don't see that affecting her all that much. She doesn't seem the type to let the facade crack easily, you know?

pinkluxe1

pinkluxe1

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 3:56 AM

re: Jackie's husbands annoyance with O'hara, I believe earlier in the episode when Jackie and O'hara were talking about Jackie having trouble paying for her daughters private school, O'hara mentions that she would help and Jackie responds saying that her husband definitely wouldn't go for that. So I was kind of anticipating him finding the bill in her purse and being upset about it.

I don't mind Akalitis mainly because I find her scenes so funny, even if they are pointless.

I'm just still having trouble understanding Jackie's relationship with the Eddie. How is i that they have been together for a year with everything that's going on in her life? Is it because of their tiring schedules that its just assumed they won't ever have time to go on dates, or talk on the phone at night? Can he really be that stupid? I mean, she isn't a great liar.

Edited by pinkluxe1, Jul 21, 2009 @ 3:58 AM.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 8:36 AM

Akalitis is fun sometimes, but this week she was just a waste of time. I'd rather see more of Mo-Mo, Zoey and Thor.

sighle

sighle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 10:06 AM

Absolutely loved Thor's "Is there cake?" line.

Funyun

Funyun

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 10:42 AM

thing that's going on in her life? Is it because of their tiring schedules that its just assumed they won't ever have time

From the looks of next week, it seems like Eddie's finally going to bring the topic up. Coupled with the fact that she does often ask him for drugs, it isn't surprising that he's starting to catch on. I think what's going on is just now is Jackie's life starting to get super out-of-hand, i.e. Grace's continuing mental breakdown, so she's probably not so easily convincing him that they're anything more than a work fuck. It's been a few episodes since we've seen them intimate, right?

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading and quilting

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 11:08 AM

I love Edie Falco and she's great in this role, but the show is really frustrating. We need to know why Jackie is hiding her marriage from everyone except O'Hara. If no one knows she's married, then why isn't she more open about her relationship with Eddie? How dumb is Eddie?

I'm disturbed that she keeps playing god with patients. Curiously, I wasn't as bothered by what she did to the pedophile as I was by her doping up the poor guy who was stabbed. Butt out, Jackie!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 11:58 AM

A small point, but O'Hara didn't open the bills, she just looked at them already opened on the table & put them in her purse.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 12:26 PM

The silent conversation between Jackie and her husband when he noticed the bills stuffed in O'Hara's purse struck me as a conversation they've had before -- i.e., I don't think this is the first time she's visited their house and tried to pay their bills for them.

We need to know why Jackie is hiding her marriage from everyone except O'Hara. If no one knows she's married, then why isn't she more open about her relationship with Eddie? How dumb is Eddie?

The other big question for me is why she's so close with O'Hara? O'Hara seems pretty new -- she didn't know the older nurse from the last episode, who stopped working at the hospital about a year ago. So how is it that Jackie has opened up to her about almost all of her secrets (drug use excepted)?

lostintransit

lostintransit

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 12:28 PM

I'm starting to see Elenor and Coop as two sides to a coin, both apparently come from privilege, both are social misfits of sorts (Elenor seemingly deliberately, Coop as a result of his ticks), and so forth. Dramatically, this provides a nice fulcrum for exploring all things Jackie. By the way, I'm with God, I like Elenor, and I'm having an appreciation for the two-by-two plan. Akalitus' lost baby story line seemed to me a nice contrast to Zoey's on-going story line of wanting more responsibility. Akalitus's irritation at a baby's seeming abandonment was nicely checked by her thoughtless goof with the paperclip container. Zoey is on a learning curve, Akalitus might need to get back on.

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 3:25 PM

A small point, but O'Hara didn't open the bills

I think there's a huge difference between looking at something on the counter and opening them! :-)

I think Elenor and Jackie get each other and ignore the snark. The husband is not in tune and I'm sure was offended by what he thought was the pretentious attitude (loved poly-blend sheets or whatever she complained about sleeping on).

I paused my tifaux and read what I thought was a $2,900 water bill? Is that right?? Good grief!!! They are behind.

Akalitus represents to me what most think of their boss and want to say but can't. I prepare to laugh out loud every time she's on!

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 3:41 PM

I think there's a huge difference between looking at something on the counter and opening them! :-)

There's also a difference between looking at them and taking them, which is what she did. That was just wildly inappropriate behavior. It's the kind of thing a parent might do when visiting their just-out-of-college child, and even then I would think it's not really cool. Just paying a bill for someone assumes they can't pay it on their own, which is condescending and rude.

(And I thought the amount of the water bill was somewhere in $93 range. A $2,900 water bill would be probably a couple of years' worth of water.)

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 4:56 PM

I'm shocked that Jackie played Cupid. She hardly got a sense of the woman with the violent ex-husband, yet found it wise to encourage Zach to give it a second chance?

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 5:29 PM

hoodooznoodooz, exactly. We can assume the ex is in jail so Zach and the woman are probably safe from him for now, but still, she said it was only their first date. On what basis did she decide he was a nice guy? Jackie does too much without thinking things through.

And what will Eddie think when he finds out that Jackie didn't keep the bracelet? Why not just let Coop have it? She can't take it home anyway.

charmgirl

charmgirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 9:25 PM

And what will Eddie think when he finds out that Jackie didn't keep the bracelet?

She's thinking Eddie will never find out. She pretty much told him she didn't want to wear it at work.. so Eddie will never expect to see it on her arm.

I don't think hiding the fact she gave the bracelet away will be too big a problem. I mean she's hidden the fact that she has a family from him for a whole year.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 10:23 PM

The other big question for me is why she's so close with O'Hara? O'Hara seems pretty new -- she didn't know the older nurse from the last episode, who stopped working at the hospital about a year ago. So how is it that Jackie has opened up to her about almost all of her secrets (drug use excepted)?

I was wondering the same thing. And I think it might even be so simple as she O'hara took an interest and asked. Every time they seem to talk except for this episode (and even here) its about Jackie. Which is a contrast to how Jackie is with everyone else. I wonder if one day O'Hara just asked her out to lunch and after a cocktail or two Jackie spilled after some prodding.

Even people who idolize Jackie are too intimidated to really prod her about her personal life. Zoey loves her and wants her to be her best friend/mentor/mom forever and I think she wouldn't know how to ask if she had a boyfriend. Even Eddie is too afraid to really investigate things. But, obviously, O'Hara is incapable of being intimidated and very capable of bluntly asking. But also watering it down with expensive food and cocktails.

I'm starting to see Elenor and Coop as two sides to a coin, both apparently come from privilege, both are social misfits of sorts (Elenor seemingly deliberately, Coop as a result of his ticks), and so forth.

I totally agree with this. I do think they are examples of that stereotype about surgeons being horrible at all things involving people skills. But I think they are both basically well meaning but completely clueless about social mores.

Funyun

Funyun

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 11:36 PM

O'Hara seems to be the only one Jackie allows herself to interact with outside of work, as well. She's close with Mo-Mo, but it's clearly a very close work relationship, to keep one another sane. I think O'Hara and Jackie just get along together. They complement each other very well, in terms of the bullshit they deal, something that someone like Zoey has yet to get, you know?

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2009 @ 2:37 AM

I was thinking (all this is my first ep, so take it in that context) that money isn't significant to Eleanor, and she sees this as a way of helping her friend, because she thinks she's no good at any other kind of help (although she was so terrific with the girls that that's obviously untrue)....Eleanor's insecurity is sopped by tossing money at a problem. Which I think Jackie would allow (the little, like utility bills, rather than the huge, like tuition), but her hubby -- forget it.

Edited by voiceover, Jul 22, 2009 @ 2:54 AM.

KisstheCook

KisstheCook

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2009 @ 10:21 AM

I guess this was intentional on the writers' part, but I didn't get at all what happened with O'Hara's stepfather. Jackie's husband said, "He's a fucking criminal!", and for some reason I immediately thought the stepdad might have molested someone...maybe O'Hara, in her past? She said something about how upset her sister was going to be, but there was no other explanation. Did anyone else understand this, or are we supposed to be in the dark about it?

I loved the episode, but OHMYGOD, when Jackie yanked that catheter our of the pedophile, I almost died, and I'm not even a guy. I can't imagine what that felt like! Even so, there was a slight amount of satisfaction in making him suffer like that. It was almost like Jackie was telling him that the next time he considers doing something bad with his dick, he should think back on the wonderful experience of having a two-foot tube yanked all the way out of it.

AuntiePam

AuntiePam

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2009 @ 10:58 AM

My guess about O'Hara's criminal stepfather is that it's a financial thing, like Bernie Madoff. It'd be timely, and it'd explain the way O'Hara said "He's a criminal". If he'd killed or molested someone, she'd have said "He's a murderer" or "He's a child molester". Some people don't see financial chicanery as being on the same level as other kinds of crimes.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Jul 22, 2009 @ 12:37 PM

I think I grow fonder of MoMo in every episode. I loved when he went stoming off to deal with God after God told Zoe she was balding.

Akalitis with the baby was kind of weird. I got a little laugh over the paperclip, but other then that, it seemed pointless. Maybe it will carry over to the next episode.

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2009 @ 12:51 PM

AuntiePam: And what will Eddie think when he finds out that Jackie didn't keep the bracelet? Why not just let Coop have it? She can't take it home anyway.

I totally agree. I thought this was so risky. There's a very good chance that Eddie will inquire about the bracelet sometime down the road. Also, I thought that it was really thoughtless of Jackie to be so nonchalant about giving a Cartier bracelet away, especially with this recession. Yes, Eddie had given it to Coop, but I think that was an act of anger, a statement. He may have hoped Jackie'd spot it & realize how much she hurt him.

TeresaDee

TeresaDee

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2009 @ 2:44 PM

Digressing a bit...what were people's thoughts about the Xanax scene in O'Hara's office? My take was that O'Hara is suspecting that Jackie is abusing meds (remember the sniffing she heard in the bathroom in a previous episode), and took the opportunity to test things out.

Jackie tried to play the part of "I'm such a light weight when it comes to meds" , taking half a pill, but I bet O'Hara counted later and knows that Jackie pocketed a bunch.

Funyun

Funyun

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2009 @ 3:45 PM

While I think O'Hara was weighed down by her own problems at the time to be 'testing' Jackie, I'd say it'd be hard for the amount of pills Jackie took to go unnoticed later. But knowing O'Hara, I don't expect her to be worried or insulted. If we ever get any continuity from it, she may actually make a crack about it to her later on. Really, with adultery and generally lying about the existence of one's entire family, having a bit of a pill habit (while still remaining entirely functional) isn't that too far of a step away.

sighle

sighle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2009 @ 4:04 PM

TeresaDee, I agree completely. I think O'Hara knows or at least suspects Jackie's problem.

While I love trying to put together the puzzle that is Jackie, I hope they start to make strong explanations for these things soon. Some parts just don't add up.