Amy Pond: The Girl Who Waited (UK)

• Please log in to reply

309 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

River's fate is the library and that seems to be unavoidable, so I'm not really sure where you're going with this one.

At least we have five more episodes of Amy and Rory to look forward to before they leave the TARDIS for good.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:29 AM

While waiting for the new series willl rewatch S5, S6 and the christmas specials from 2010 and 2011.
We start with a 7 year old making freinds with the doctor. 5 minutes in the tardis for him = 12 years on earth for her. Now 19 she reunites with him to help save the world. Two years later he appears in her life again the night before her wedding Friday June 25th 2010. Age 21 she becomes a widow before she is a bride and even forgets the man she was suppose to marry. Rory comes back as a auton and accidently kills her. However once the universe is put right they finally marry and even get the doctor back in time to join the celebrations.

At 22 she goes though the joy and heartbreak of motherhood. Also getting a glimpse of herself 36 years in the future aged 58.Wonder what will happen durring Amys final episodes and how old or young she will be when she says goodbye to the doctor.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:02 AM

Chronologically, Amy should be about 24 or 25 about now, same age that Karen Gillan herself in real life seeing as there was a two years gap between The Wedding Of River Song and The Doctor, The Widow And The Wardrobe.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:05 AM

Just been wondering why are Amy and Rory going back into the tardis ?. I mean they have had two years off a normal safe and mostly happy life.After what they went through last time do they reallly want another round?.

No offence to the doctor but his world is dangerous. They have been in danger and hurt a lot. They were unable to raise their own daughter probably the only child they will ever have (medical reasons or just scared of more heartache don't know).

Consider the other families the doctor has been involved with Tylers, Jones, and Nobles.They all left mostly
intact and everyone was still alive. Maybe the Ponds are going to be the unlucky ones who get seperated by the one thing the doctor can't cure - death.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Peplow to answer some of your questions ...

1)I'm sure we'll find out in the opening episode how/why Amy and Rory have resumed travelling with the Doctor, though I am beginning to wonder if it would make more sense for Series 7 to open with the new companion and have Amy/Rory's last story been at the end of Series 6.
2) We don't know whether or not Amy/Rory can have more children or even want more children. River wasn't exactly planned by them and they're not the first and arguably won't be the last companions to face consequences of knowing the Doctor.
3) You should read the spoilers thread for Series 7 in relation to your last query.

Edited by darkestboy, May 6, 2012 @ 8:29 AM.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

Just been thinking about karma. Amy started out bright eyed wanting fun and adventure with her freind who had come back into her life. She didn't know the darker side of it.

Amy herself is strong and has survived a lot. However it is her husband and daughter who have paid the cosmic price.
Maybe Amy will be left alone like the doctor so often is. Sad thought and hope that is not how her story will end.

Ysu

Ysu

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

However it is her husband and daughter who have paid the cosmic price.

How exactly paid Rory and River a bigger price than Amy? I know you think River had a terrible life, I don't agree with this but I guess we have to agree in disagreement. If you list the things what happened to her, they are terrible, that's true, no argument here, but I think the most important thing is _how_ she lived those things, how she perceived them, and I don't see she had any problem with her life so I don't have either.
But what price did Rory pay that Amy didn't? If it is a spoiler, don't tell me, only if the answer is in the 5th or 6th season.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

Rory spent 2000 years waiting for Amy while she was in the Pandorica he also keeps dying.

Amys worse things were being captured by the silence and forced to give birth in a cold cramped cell with a midwife from hell waiting to snatch her daughter. Then there was 36 years being on her own but Rory and the Doctor fixed it so it doesn't count.

River was brainwashed for years and had precious memories erased.Imprisioned for a "murder" she was forced to commit.Told Rory her days with the doctor were what she lived for.

They have all been through a lot the last few years.Just hope they think it has all been worth it.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

Amy, Rory and River have all suffered equally, no-one more than each other to a large extent.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Looking back at S 5&6 have had some really goo moments from her. Like in TBB when she figures how to save the star whale and stop the doctor making a big mistake. Love when she hugs him and say "gotcha" that is when they bond as best mates.

Also like how she deals with her daughter in LKH. Originally scared her child would be born a "time head".
After getting her back she didn't care. Telling her she was safe when she woke up in hospital and doing the typical worried mum thing "You shouldn't have done that it was dangerous!".

She has three important roles to fufill in her final 5 episodes mum, wife and best freind.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

And being herself. Yes, Amy is a mother, wife and best friend but she's also her own person too. As are the Doctor, Rory and River themselves.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

Wonder if Amy will still have the same feelings for the doctor when she returns for S7. They did go through a lot in S5 and S6 might need to clear the air. She gave him the most precious thing in her life her daughter. Hope he appreciates that. Does Amy ever worry the doctor will hurt River the way he hurt her ?. I know he didn't mean to but he did. Amy spent years waiting and hoping he would come back. She nearly lost Rory or died herself several times. Trouble is doctors enemies become your enemies and that's dangerous. She was unable to enjoy her pregnancy or prepare for her daughters birth because she was abducted and put in a coma. After 3 weeks of care and bonding Melody was ripped from her leaving her with empty arms and a broken heart. She waited months for the doctor to bring her child home. Time he did return it was too late. Melody was allready grown up and she had to let her "go" again.She even saw a scary glimpse of the future. Saw herself old and bitter after being abandoned by the doctor and her husband. 36 years of hell with only a handbot for company. Old Amy was brave though. She fought right till the last moment. She also gave her life so her younger self could be with the man they both love. Amy deserves a better fate then death and sadness. She needs her husband and daughter. She also deserves a second chance to be a "proper" mother to a new child who she can raise ,love and protect.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Amy didn't give River to the Doctor. River is her own person.

We don't know what is in store for Amy but I'm sure it's not all doom and gloom. She's still married to Rory, they're getting on with their lives, occasionally they get to see River and the Doctor too. It's not all bad.

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

It is also the case that we have seen how Amy responds to the return of the Doctor. She was thrilled when Rory told her the truth and then when he showed up for the Holidays. Rory, maybe not so much.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 7:21 AM

The Doctor is her best friend, I guess Amy will always see him as that to a large degree. Rory, I do think has warmed to the Doctor more than he initially did but is still a little cautious at times with good reason though.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 9:42 AM

Funny how Amy said in 5.7 AC that she couldn't imagine giving up life in the tardis for a "normal" life in Ledworth.
Yet by the time of 6.4 TDW she seems resigned to one day leaving saying. "Its allways you and her(the tardis) left after the rest of us have gone". I can imagine an alternative world where he never returned to Amys life she would have still married Rory as she planed and spent her life as "Mrs Amy Williams". Which she has only been refered to twice in two series. Rory called her it in AGMGTW and the Doctor called her by her married name in 6.11 GC. Then there is her daughter. Instead of going down the "super hero" route Melody Williams could have chosen to be a geography teacher ,vet or anything else she wanted to be."River Song" would never have exsisted without the Doctor, Kavarian and the silence to influence her.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

Because Amy is growing and knows that her life has move on and if that means not travelling in the TARDIS with the Doctor anymore, that'll be it.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

Maybe that new maturity will have a bitter sting to it. After all that has happened and will happen in S7 will she still think her freindship with the doctor was worth it?. She has two other people in her life to think about her husband and her daughter. What happens to Amy and the doctor also affects them too.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

I guess we'll soon learn how Amy's maturity is when it comes to her friendship with the Doctor when Series 7 finally airs. I'd like to think that Amy is wiser but that her relationship with the Doctor is still good, because there were on good terms with each other during the 2011 Christmas special, especially given that both her and Rory had set a place at the dinner table for him.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 6:47 AM

Just think it weird that she spends more time with her "son in law" then her own daughter currently incarcerated in 51st century storm cage.Maybe the doctor acts as a go between sending messages and stuff between Amy,Rory and River helping them keep in touch.For now all 4 are still a family.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Or River can actually visit her parents by herself. She's a big girl and Stormcage is like a holiday camp for her more than an actual prison. I'm sure Amy has had plenty of contact with her daughter off screen. Just because we don't see it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened though.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

Still not the same as being a proper family. They missed so much. River has made a big sacrifice for the doctor. She gave up years of her life and freedom for him. Also none of the pond family know the terrible truth. Rivers love for the doctor is going to get her killed.

Aravis

Aravis

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

Still not the same as being a proper family. They missed so much. River has made a big sacrifice for the doctor. She gave up years of her life and freedom for him. Also none of the pond family know the terrible truth. Rivers love for the doctor is going to get her killed.

What's a 'proper' family? Rose and Martha didn't have a 'proper' family, the only new series companion who did (at least at first) was Donna and that was possibly the most unhealthy dynamic. Normality is over rated and, arguably, so rare as to not be normal

Also River's love for the doctor is not what gets her killed.

Deciding to take the contract and go to the library is what kills her. Was it 'love' for the doctor that killed Miss Evangelista and the others? If not, then it wasn't what killed River. If 10 had not responded to her message she would still have died, probably in a much more meaningless way and without saving the thousands of people who where restored from Cal's 'hard drive'.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

I have to agree. It's not River's love for the Doctor that got her killed in the Library, it was that bloody system in the first place that did it, not her feelings for the Doctor.

As for Amy though, because this is her thread, she has an existing relationship with her daughter. Whether or not it's perfect is debatable but it's existing and it could be a lot worse.

Edited by darkestboy, Jun 21, 2012 @ 8:24 AM.

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

As for Amy though, because this is her thread, she has an existing relationship with her daughter. Whether or not it's perfect is debatable but it's existing and it could be a lot worse.

I tend to agree. We have no idea how much time they get to spend with each other. And frankly, they are each able to relate to each other as whole and fully-developed human beings. That is more than you can say for a lot of parent-child relationships in more conventional settings. Not to mention that they have seen other worlds and traveled through time.

that one guy

that one guy

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

The odd thing is it seems to me that in the show's "now" (to the extent that it has one) the Doctor is off taking River Song on dates throughout space and time while Amy and Rory are at home on Earth. So there's not really a question about why Amy will leave the TARDIS - she's already left, and more than once at this point. The mystery is how does she get back on for a few episodes, and why? Some bad things have happened to Amy recently, none of which would have occurred had she thrown the Doctor's TARDIS blue invitation in the trash and gone on with her life.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

I didn't like Amy slapping Rory in Asylum Of The Daleks but I did like her and Rory making up and the reveal about her being unable to have any more kids as a result of Demons Run was devastating.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

Oh, Amy. Initially I thought Amy was overly harsh, derivative, and not a good fit with this Doctor. Over time, I began to appreciate Karen Gillan's subtler moments, and the writing began picking up on those. No matter how much I sometimes bristled at Amy's treatment of Rory, I never thought, "He could do so much better," because Karen always played Amy's love and affection for Rory underneath all else.

The last scene, and probably the ugliest choice a companion has ever had to make, just gutted me. I'm glad Amy, who never seemed to have any control over her life, was able to make that choice, and to be with the man she loved and who loved her.

Karen Gillan must also be somewhere near the top of Doctor Who criers.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

Of all the New Series female companion, Amy Pond was my favourite. I loved her abrasiveness, her vulnerability and I sure as hell loved her choosing Rory time and time again, even if this was the last time.

Goodbye Amy, you were fantastic as Nine would put it.

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

I agree DarkestBoy. I know that a lot of people didn't like her, but I always felt (from the awful beast beneath) that there was something special about the character and I think that Karen Gillan really developed the character and grew in the role. Plus, there was no one like little Amelia.