Amy Pond: The Girl Who Waited (UK)

• Please log in to reply

309 replies to this topic

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

TheSporkWielder, I know a lot of what I listed likely has a mundane explanation, like the ones you provided. I just wanted to be thorough, in case the explanation for anything turns out to be not so mundane after all.

--Re: the accent, I have no problem with that. I know lots of people (mostly preachers, now that I think about it, heh), who are from the Southern US and have lived in Michigan for fifteen years and still sound like they moved up from Alabama last week.

I suppose, like the duck pond, the more significant thing here is that they took the time to point it out. Could definitely still be nothing, but.

Edited by furrylump, Apr 26, 2010 @ 12:02 AM.

that one guy

that one guy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2010 @ 11:48 PM

I've got a theory (it must be bunnies!) that perhaps she's from the past in some way - been brought forward, or frozen in time, something like that.

I was thinking the same thing after re-watching the Beast Below against my better judgement. The voting booth computer said Amy was 1306 years old. If she was really 21 in 2010 when she left with the Doctor, she was born in 1989, which makes the date on Starship UK 3295. But the Doctor said the Earth was abandoned in the 29th century and had been travelling for 200 years, which makes the date somewhere in the 3000s. Amy is too old. Or else the script editor was asleep at the wheel and didn't notice that the dates didn't add up.

Amy's aplomb and problem-solving brilliance are making me suspect that she's not who she says she is anyway. But who is she?

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2010 @ 6:29 PM

A Scottish girl/kissogram from Leadworth? Right now, she's more of a puzzle than our new Doctor and he's picking up on that from what we saw in the third episode this season.

SunlessNick

SunlessNick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2010 @ 1:56 PM

I was thinking the same thing after re-watching the Beast Below against my better judgement. The voting booth computer said Amy was 1306 years old. If she was really 21 in 2010 when she left with the Doctor, she was born in 1989, which makes the date on Starship UK 3295.

The UK left later than the rest, and the mask may not be as old as Liz 10 herself - that may be all there is to it, and it would make sense if that was the answer. But you're right, the question is there in the first place.

And it would add something that reiteration of very old, very kind, and the very last in the Beast Below. We've already seen that Amy is kind, so maybe the Doctor isn't the only one who's very old. (What would Amy be the last of, I wonder?).

But I suspect that if there is anything mysterious about her, it's as much of a mystery to her as to us.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2010 @ 1:59 PM

What would Amy be the last of, I wonder?).

Kissograms?

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2010 @ 5:44 PM

I can imagine the angst of being the last of the kissograms but unlike Ten, Amy doesn't go on about it.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2010 @ 5:14 AM

But I suspect that if there is anything mysterious about her, it's as much of a mystery to her as to us.

I agree - mostly because I kind of doubt they'd have the main companion turn out to be evil or a mole. Someone who just came along for a few eps, perhaps, but not the main one.

Edited by furrylump, May 1, 2010 @ 5:15 AM.

SunlessNick

SunlessNick

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2010 @ 2:49 PM

Well, in the latest episode, we now know that the cracks in time are emanating from the day of Amy's wedding, and probably the place the place - not necessarily from her, but she's definitely a "carrier," and close to the epicentre. I think we can put down any time and age discrepancies to that.

Could it be the crack in her wall has kept her 7 - and kind of in stasis - for ages, by eating the future the might have had had she grown up? And eaten her past too, which is why no one remembers how long she's lived? She grew up once the crack was closed, but she'd been a child for so long that it kind of stuck, explaining why she seems young for her age. Does that make any sense? Or maybe, since things that fall through the cracks cease to have been, events of her life have been eaten away, so that things that might have matured her haven't - again, why she's young for her age.

Meanwhile, in the Flesh and Stone thread, Snark Shark says this about Amy's attempt to jump the Doctor's bones:

The thing with Amy isn't that she wants sex. That's true. She doesn't know WHAT she wants. She's acting up. Really what this is for her is a kind of adult version of the "Magic Man" fantasy she had as a kid. It's her confusion manifested.

A, well put. B, on the same subject, I described it as a way to hide from the various fears that were plaguing her; Amy seems like someone who spends a lot of time hiding herself. And probably from herself as well, because on a subconscious level, I think she knows that there's something wrong with her life. That room she spent twelve years not seeing is mirrored inside her.

Which doesn't really add up to me making a point, except that it's interesting to see a companion who's damaged in that kind of way. I don't think we've seen it before - people who doubt themselves, or don't do so when they should, sure - but never someone who life is metaphysically wrong.

I wonder if Amy will have to die to fix the universe?

Edited by SunlessNick, May 2, 2010 @ 10:11 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2010 @ 4:15 PM

I hope not, especially as I'd still like to see Amy in Series 6 full time but if she's so instrumental to these cracks and it really does look like she is, then it's possible.

Can I just say that Karen Gillan's acting in this two parter has been superb? She can hold her own and then some.

Edited by darkestboy, May 2, 2010 @ 4:17 PM.

Still Ill

Still Ill

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 12:42 AM

I can imagine the angst of being the last of the kissograms but unlike Ten, Amy doesn't go on about it

This has had me laughing for 5 minutes. Amy, the last of the kissograms. Won the Party Entertainer wars against the Children's Clowns. This is why she's so 'damaged'.

I have to say, I pleased that the reaction to the final scene of Flesh and Stone as not been as hysterical as I'd imagine and I'm glad because I think many of us straight women/gay men would have totally done the same.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

With Eleven - hell ya!

I'm thrilled too but maybe it's because Amy's motivations seemed clear enough - she was freaked out over the Weeping Angels, wasn't thinking of a relationship with the Doctor and possibly had cold feet about her wedding.

Glad I made you laugh about the kissogram thing though.

Edited by darkestboy, Mar 31, 2011 @ 9:24 AM.

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2010 @ 2:25 PM

As far as Graham Norton and panel are concerned, Kissogram = Stripper...

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2010 @ 3:49 PM

I can imagine the angst of being the last of the kissograms but unlike Ten, Amy doesn't go on about it.

I too laughed heartily at this. I think what made me laugh is the comparison to Ten - LMAO!

Can I just say that Karen Gillan's acting in this two parter has been superb? She can hold her own and then some.

Word and a half. I just love all of her reaction moments to 11 and River. Once scene I loved that I didn't see mentioned was her telling the Doctor to leave her to die. It was a wonderful mix of being stupidly courageous, understanding, and honestly scared (something in her voice catches when she says she thinks he is going to leave her, right before he actually bites her hand).

Even the end scene made sense for me because KG's acting sold the emotional complexity (plus, I admit to shipping them a bit...yeah...)

I sooo want Amy back for season 6 it's not funny. Damn, DW for taking away my Martha, my Donna, and now perhaps my Amy, but until this season, bringing back selfish Rose every. damn. season.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2010 @ 3:53 PM

I have to see that interview with Karen Gillan but I will do. Also she mentioned in her SFX interview this month (Amy Pond is the cover!) that she auditioned in both English and Scottish accents before Moffat ran with the latter.

Fr Larry Duff

Fr Larry Duff

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 5:58 AM

Some lovely little touches of Amy characterisation in ViV. I particularly liked her pulling a face while posing for a photo and the way Karen delivered the (paraphrasing) "See where you bring me? The bloody plague!" line.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 8:44 AM

I had to watch that scene a few more times before catching that she said the bloody plague. And she pucked the Doctor's arm as well.

Plus, her attitude towards Rory in this episode and calling both him and the Doctor 'her boys' endeared her more to me.

SunlessNick

SunlessNick

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 9:52 AM

And I liked that she asked Rory to come with them - whether or not she thought she owed it to him for kissing the Doctor, or simply wanted to share it with him - either way, I think it proves that he's the one she wants. (And much nicer than Rose's grump at Mickey coming; though to be fair, she got over it quickly).

Rory's stag night does make me wonder, though - did Amy get a hen night?

MGK

MGK

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

Is a kissogram a stripper? I had in mind more like the singing telegrams, only she gives the recipient a kiss instead of singing?

This is the first I've watched Doctor Who, but I'm enjoying all the characters, Amy especially.

Edited by MGK, May 9, 2010 @ 11:51 AM.

rowan sjet

rowan sjet

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2010 @ 2:55 PM

Is a kissogram a stripper? I had in mind more like the singing telegrams, only she gives the recipient a kiss instead of singing?

Pretty much, though it is of course more sexualised so comparing it to stripping isn't out of line.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2010 @ 9:29 AM

Moffat might have made Amy a stripper if he could've. And Graham Norton certainly seemed to think stripper was Amy's job during his interview with Karen Gillan.

para

para

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2010 @ 4:01 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that Amy is gonna be revealed as being something completely different than we think she is?

I mean, she does read like a bit of Best of All The Previous Companions - British 21st Century girl, young, red-headed, constantly wearing a red top, having somewhat of an unrequited crush on the Doctor and a jealous boyfriend - which might be just a failure of imagination.

But then there's her never having heard of the Daleks in the middle of a season where the only constant theme is that important things are always never as they seem, the truth is always, always hidden, people and things's true identities and nature are always concealed. And isn't it weird that the Doctor erred so much on when he landed in Amy's garden again? As a Timelord doesn't he have that special ability to just know how much time passed?

And finally there's the throwaway duck pond in the Eleventh Hour:

Amy: It's a duck pond.
Doctor: Where are the ducks?
Amy: I don't know, there are never any ducks.
Doctor: Then how do you know it's a duck pond?

Amy says it's the a duck pond, the same way she says she herself is Amy Pond. Funny, but I begin to wonder if perhaps there are as many Amelias in Amy Pond as there are ducks in that pond.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2010 @ 9:59 AM

I'm not sure if she'll be revealed as something but I do think the Pandorica is likely to be in some way connected to her though.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2010 @ 10:19 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that Amy is gonna be revealed as being something completely different than we think she is?

I've been thinking this for a while. There's been a recurring theme of the altered/manipulated identity in nearly episode this season.

Edited by patriotickid, May 20, 2010 @ 10:20 PM.

Snarkeh

Snarkeh

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2010 @ 6:37 AM

Moffat might have made Amy a stripper if he could've.

I don't think so, I think the kissogram thing was deliberate. It's a job that allows her to do to others what the doctor did to her: show up, give her a taste of something fantastic, then bugger off again. Mind you, the same could probably be said of a stripper, so ehh.

SunlessNick

SunlessNick

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2010 @ 11:31 AM

Helen67 said in the thread for Amy's Choice:

I really hadn't got much further than that I like her because, like Donna, she refuses to be excessively impressed by the Doctor (whether she really is or not).

I agree they're alike in that respect. And I've never quite understood how in Donna it gets to be evidence that she's the greatest companion ever, while in Amy it tends to be slammed.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2010 @ 5:03 PM

I'm beginning to resent that too. Donna never got reprimanded for castigating one of the Ood for the single remark but Amy did get slammed for asking when a Silurian shushed her.

Like Vincent, I think I too am in love with Amy Pond. And God knows, the camera bloody loves Karen Gillan.

Mod Suit

Mod Suit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2010 @ 10:53 AM

Nerermind.

Edited by Mod Suit, Jun 14, 2010 @ 10:55 AM.

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2010 @ 8:43 PM

I've got a theory on Amy that I'd like to air and flesh out a bit, if you don't mind. As it's speculation I'll spoiler it.

She seems to have very little in her life, in Leadworth; a highly absent aunt, a friend in Rory, and some tangential connection to the village folk but nothing too close, it would seem.

And then there are her parents. She seems to 'not have any', other than her aunt - who we've yet to meet. There has been no explanation of this background at all.

My thoughts? Nobody knows this background, because the Cracks took her parents and all memory of them. Obviously Amy came from somewhere, and that aunt must presumably be a sibling of one of these absent people, but nobody ever thinks about them or knows anything about them, because there's nothing to know.

This cannot be good for anyone; its effects on Amy seem somewhat clear, her stubborness and independence as a young girl, even before meeting the Doctor. But imagine the effect on her aunt.

Not only has this woman lost a sibling and an in-law without ever knowing she had them to start with, she suddenly has to raise a mysterious niece who came from seemingly nowhere. No wonder she moved to England - if this originally happened in Scotland, and the cognitive dissonance was too much around where it happened, that was probably for her own sanity.

And the little girl she has to raise, knowing she's a relative but not why or how, would subconsciously drive her away - she's fed, housed, clothed, cared for, yes, but only as much as she can bear.

So where is this going? I think we may get to meet this aunt, finally, and see how messed up she is due to what happened. Amy thinks it's normal because it's all she's ever known, but the Doctor sees through it.

And he also sees what's been staring him in the face, the connection to the cracks - Amy. They follow her around, the date associated with them is significant to her life. And they affected her well before the Doctor first met her.

And he's got to fix it. And hopefully, by doing so, Amy will get a proper life back, the one stolen from her (and her aunt!) so cruelly.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2010 @ 10:33 AM

Some fantastic photos of the wonderful Karen Gillan HERE.

She's so pretty.

pxc

pxc

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2010 @ 3:39 PM

My thoughts? Nobody knows this background, because the Cracks took her parents and all memory of them.

But, we know Amy's mum used to draw faces on apples to make her eat them