Amy Pond: The Girl Who Waited (UK)

• Please log in to reply

309 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2009 @ 4:36 AM

Now that the BBC have finally given a name to Karen Gillan's companion, I thought it was fair to give her a thread. This one is UK based of course.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2009 @ 9:37 AM

Pond? Really? I suppose Stephen wants to make it clear there's a new broom sweeping. Better that then another Tyler or Jones.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2009 @ 9:20 AM

I didn't think of that.

Though I do think there'll be something between her and Eleven given the way Moffat has talked about Karen Gillan's chemistry with Matt Smith.

Ella Ollivander

Ella Ollivander

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2009 @ 11:50 PM

Pond? Really? I suppose Stephen wants to make it clear there's a new broom sweeping. Better that then another Tyler or Jones.

My brain is too tired to grasp the subtext here... somebody help me out?

eta: Ahhh, okay. Thanks, that makes sense. :)

Edited by Ella Ollivander, Jul 24, 2009 @ 10:20 AM.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2009 @ 9:28 AM

Just that RTD has a thing for rather old fashioned first names for his companions, and uses the surnames Tyler and Jones a lot in his work. Whereas Pond - not an everyday name which suggests that the character is a ordinary person trapped in a life of lottery tickets and dull jobs, which will resonate with most of the viewers.

Trevacious Guy

Trevacious Guy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2009 @ 8:22 PM

Or is she a Retro girl?

Skinner

Skinner

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 2:59 PM

Have TPTB said how old Ms. Pond is supposed to be? I know Karen Gillan is 21, but after looking at a photo of her, I wouldn't bat an eyelash if they had her playing a 15- or 16-year-old.

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 5:02 PM

Have TPTB said how old Ms. Pond is supposed to be?

All we know is her name at this point.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2009 @ 8:12 AM

Hopefully in the next few weeks some more details will have been disclosed.

I'd say she's probably 19 like Rose was in Season 1.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 6:27 AM

So Amy has an interesting costume here.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 11:05 AM

More shots of Amy's costume HERE.

She is so lovely.

Ella Ollivander

Ella Ollivander

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 12:55 PM

Interesting... Given Eleven's clothes, do you suppose this is shortly post-regeneration? What, did he pick her up at a costume party?

Edited by Ella Ollivander, Oct 6, 2009 @ 12:56 PM.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2009 @ 1:12 PM

Wow. She is gorgeous. I hope she can act, as well.

Other on-set images from a google search show her in a baggy sweater or in a plaid shirt and jeans, so maybe the costume in the link was only a costume and not her profession.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

She's pretty good on The Kevin Bishop Show.

I think the cop suit is a fancy dress outfit - possibly.

The baggy sweater is possibly a general look like Martha's red leather jacket.

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

Given Eleven's clothes, do you suppose this is shortly post-regeneration?

Those are definitely Ten's suit trousers, and the tie and Chucks also look his style.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2009 @ 7:31 AM

Actually spoilers indicate that Amy is an actual cop, despite her skirt length.

meemalee

meemalee

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2009 @ 9:38 AM

One of the [Arrested Development] Hot Cops [/Arrested Development], no doubt ...

Edited by meemalee, Oct 16, 2009 @ 9:40 AM.

suerterana

suerterana

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 16, 2009 @ 11:28 AM

WAIT? She's wearing a skirt???!!! ; )

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2009 @ 7:11 AM

Oh yes, looksie

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2010 @ 7:19 PM

Okay this girl needs some more love and hopefully she'll follow the mantle of some of the best companions we've had in the series.

Not really that big of a spoiler but Karen Gillan actually suggested Amy's short skirts in case anyone was wondering. She mentioned in DWM 417.

BlueAngelCV

BlueAngelCV

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 24, 2010 @ 12:09 PM

Some sources are suggesting that it is a costume for her job as a kissogram.
I don't believe it myself though.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2010 @ 5:54 PM

I don't either but Amy's profession to me is immaterial along as she's interesting and that Karen Gillan can bring it, which I think she will.

Still Ill

Still Ill

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2010 @ 6:25 AM

Is just too ragingly obvious to suggest that Amy is an actual cop going to a hens night/party as a sexy cop?

I hate the kissogram idea. Do these even exist in these days?

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2010 @ 6:11 PM

I think you've hit the nail on the head about Amy actually being a cop but dressing as a sexy cop. Mainly because spoilers also indicate that she arrests the Doctor in the opening episode and that she's had 12 years of therapy due to her encounter with him as a child as well.

Kissograms I don't think really exist anymore.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 7:24 PM

The kissogram thing is true, according to the Daily Mail.

burntoemerge

burntoemerge

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 1:32 AM

If Amy is a kissogram, then maybe that explains the Doctor/Amy kiss in the trailer. It did look Amy initiated, and it'd continue the grand tradition of not-actually-romantic Doctor/Companion mackage. I'm not sure why someone would send the Doctor a kissogram, though.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2010 @ 9:48 AM

Given the clothing that Amy wears in the trailer, I think that kiss is from the Weeping Angels/River Song two parter and probably has more to do with her own feelings/issues with the Doctor rather than her job.

Karen Gillan seems to have also gone to great lengths to discuss how much of an alpha female Amy is in recent interviews as well.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2010 @ 2:01 PM

No comment about her at all now the new episode just aired?

I like her, although truthfully, I think I prefer Amelie. Only a little girl, living alone in a big house, not even afraid of a stranger from the sky outta the box and asking for food.... not to mention packing her little suitcase to follow that stranger... and YET she was afraid of a crack in the wall.

Amy is also great. So far, I wanna know more about her relationship. Where's her aunt?

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2010 @ 2:43 PM

I liked what I saw(legs and all). The set-up for her meeting the Doctor as a child makes for a very unique relationship. On the edge of her mind must be the thought that he could abandon her like he did twice now even without the romantic angle Rose had.

I did think that Amelia would make a cool companion as well! lol

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2010 @ 5:38 PM

First off all, has anyone else been listening to her theme music because I can't get it out of my head?

I loved Amy a lot. Getting to see her as a child was a good idea from Moffat and worked even better here than with Reinette but adult Amy intrigues me a lot.

I get vibes of little girl lost and there's an obsessive side with her and the Doctor. All those little dolls and her wedding dress conveniently there as well but hats off to Karen Gillan for getting her right in one episode.

Amy also has a fiery streak not that dissimiliar to Donna but not in the sense that she's Donna Mark 2.