Godric: Did You Know He's Over 2000 Years Old?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

294 replies to this topic

oaktree68

oaktree68

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 11:26 AM

I am just astonished by Allan Hyde's portrayal of Godric. He was mesmerizing. I couldn't take my eyes off him every time Godric was on screen. I have no idea how they found someone so young who was able to bring that level of gravitas to the role - the weariness, the introspection... all of it was nothing short of perfection. I don't know that I have ever been so sad to see a character go.

Dr Drosophila

Dr Drosophila

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 3:16 PM

To me, Godric was most interesting when he was the dreadlocked wee man who turned Eric in the flashbacks. Then when he appeared again, I thought "who is this pale frat boy, and what has he done with Godric?" But in the final moments of his death scene, when he's staring at the sun & almost completely immolated...he looked just like he had in the flashback--a bit joyful, and transformed. So interesting and well done.

glyssix

glyssix

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 6:00 PM

I'll preface my post by saying that I absolutely adored the character of Godric, and how he was played. I thought the last scene was beautiful.

However, I find it really interesting how much Godric and Bill had in common. Their versions of mainstreaming, and thoughts about how vampires are rather monstrous and don't belong here are really similar--and it was unexpected. And that's where I can't really connect him as a vampire-savior figure. Because when it comes down to it, it seems that Godric was shamed by his race. He wasn't offering a new way to be a vampire, he was simply tired of the old way. I really hope that Eric can take some of the "we can all get along" message, but combine it with the fact that the vampires--as he put put--ARE already there. It's done. They can't all kill themselves to make a point.

So, while I really loved the scene, I think that--when it came down to it--it was suicide. It wasn't sacrifice. Godric was motivated by selfish reasons rather than actually trying to change the world he was in. Still a fascinating character, and perhaps even a personal ascension or transcendence, but I fail to see where his actions helped his people.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 7:41 PM

It was absolutely suicide, glyssix, agreed. I posited earlier this week on some thread that after 2000 years of unlife Godric was mentally/spiritually exhausted from wandering around in what he'd come to view as an existential, eternal waiting room. The dialogue between Godric & Sookie right before his end points directly to that. Questions about God's existence, would he be forgiven, would he even deserve any consideration of forgiveness for all he'd done- questions like that aren't those of someone who views himself as any kind of savior. He sounds more like a penitent perhaps, an exhausted one.

"Eternity's a terrible thought. I mean, where's it all going to end?"

After several "teachable moments" with his fellow vamps & observant humans, Godric ended his personal version of the kind of immortality suggested by the above quote.

Edited by Boisvert 8, Aug 20, 2009 @ 8:31 AM.

ClosingTime

ClosingTime

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

So, while I really loved the scene, I think that--when it came down to it--it was suicide. It wasn't sacrifice. Godric was motivated by selfish reasons rather than actually trying to change the world he was in. Still a fascinating character, and perhaps even a personal ascension or transcendence, but I fail to see where his actions helped his people.

I definitely agree. Although it is said that he takes the fall for the PR disaster he's using himself as a sacrifice, I thought, "Well, of course he takes the fall, because he doesn't care anymore" Will Nan Flanigan care that he went to meet the sun and see it as a sacrifice? Doubtful. For the short amount of time that he was preaching his new way of thinking (or what we saw), it definitely wasn't long enough to make an impact for vamps. Godric simply stated his piece when provoked or asked about it and had his mind set on meeting the sun. If people see him as making a sacrifice for the good of the vamps, I'd guess that he'd think that's a small victory, but he was just mainly tired of it all.

Edited by ClosingTime, Aug 19, 2009 @ 9:24 PM.

Feydra

Feydra

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 11:49 PM

You know, what's sad and sort of ironic about Godric is that he couldn't have become this powerful peace-maker if he hadn't been around for thousands of years of....well, wanton murder. His power came from seniority-- that's the only reason he could stop the attack on the FotS church with a word, the only reason Stan wasn't willing to challenge him on pardoning Hugo. Who knows what happened between the night he turned Eric and the night he turned himself in to the Newlins, but that span of time had to take place in order for anyone to listen to him today. If someone like Jessica or Eddie had tried to convince Stan not to wage war against the humans, he would have laughed in their faces and then ripped out some throats. Godric didn't have to do any convincing; just issue an order. A benevolent dictator, basically. I can certainly see why he decided to end his unlife, but the vampire world will suffer for the lack of his wisdom and heavy handed peace-making.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 2:31 AM

However, I find it really interesting how much Godric and Bill had in common. Their versions of mainstreaming, and thoughts about how vampires are rather monstrous and don't belong here are really similar

I'm not sure they really are, actually. Bill's hatred for vampires seems to be connected to the idea that they can't change, that they are inherently monsters, and that he is one of them. If Bill weren't a vampire, he probably wouldn't hate vampires this much, if that makes any sense. Godric has his deal of personal shame, too, but his general approach seems to be more philosophical. He resents that vampires don't want to change, but he definitely believes they can, and I don't think Bill does. It's a fundamental difference in ideologies. If you want to go the religious route, both think they don't deserve redemption, but Godric is still hopeful he will achieve it, while Bill thinks he is damned.

I do think his actions helped his people on the long run. On the surface, his death influenced three people: Isabel, Sookie and Eric. Sookie and Eric is personal, and it remains to be seen how exactly it changes them, but Isabel was definitely political, and through her, he shapes how vampire politics in Dallas will be made. She's a mainstreamer, so she will hold up his legacy, and will try to unite humans and vampires. In that vein, he did sacrifice himself for the greater good, and since he obviously felt he had to be punished for what went down, it had to be death. It's also suicide, of course, because he is sick and tired of life, but at least to me, it doesn't make it less significant. It simply means one shouldn't take the Jesus symbolism as a simple straightforward metaphor. It's mostly what he was for Eric, not for vampires in general - but again, that doesn't signify all that he said was wrong, or without consequence.

Edited by grim squeaker, Aug 20, 2009 @ 2:46 AM.

Ulle

Ulle

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 3:18 AM

I think the influence on Erik may also be quite important. We don't know how common it is to be Erik's age, but I do get the impression he's in the top layer somewhere. If you believe what Jacob pointed out in a recap (which I do), that Erik has limited himself to never surpass Godric, Erik is now free (and lost) to rise up in power. Godric made sure to try to move that gun in a less dangerous direction. Godric's legacy may live on in the form of a powerful Erik willing to fight for his ideals: although Erik will of course add his own interpretation, I think Godric could end up having changed vampire politics quite drastically.

vmgiceman

vmgiceman

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 6:59 AM

If you believe what Jacob pointed out in a recap (which I do), that Erik has limited himself to never surpass Godric, Erik is now free (and lost) to rise up in power.

Really good point. It would be interesting if this is what plays out.

Magwitch

Magwitch

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 7:34 AM

If you believe what Jacob pointed out in a recap (which I do), that Erik has limited himself to never surpass Godric, Erik is now free (and lost) to rise up in power.

I agree. It would make for an interesting plot (I love all the vampire politics on the show), be a wonderful character development for Eric, and is completely possible if you consider how they're introducing Sophie-Anne into the picture pretty soon. If not, then I hope at least to see Godric's death greatly change Eric on a personal level, if not his political ambitions.

Edited by Magwitch, Aug 20, 2009 @ 7:37 AM.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 7:11 AM

Don't have the CH novels handy (plus not having the time this a.m. to piece through them)- does anyone recall if Godric was the oldest vampire in the U.S.? No refs to it in TB I don't think, & in the books I can't off the top remember of an elder one mentioned, but it's been a while since I read them (last fall excepting #9).

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 7:15 AM

No refs to it in TB I don't think

There was one: Eric (did you know he was 1000 years old?) said Godric was the oldest vampire in the New World.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 21, 2009 @ 7:57 AM

Thanks, grim squeaker. I just couldn't recall & was curious because of Godric's apparent decision to not attempt rising above the level of sheriiff (Eric's too, or was that a simple case of "follow thy maker"?). Vamp leadership not chosen by age, obviously- is it just a scrabbling no-holds-barred climb to the top of the heap as so often seen in human politics? Everything having to do with Sophie Anne's struggle to remain Queen of LA in the novels points to that, I guess. Except for all the killing, the intrigues of vamp power politics seem remarkably like the run up to any election in the U.S., Canada, & most elsewhere. Our elections on speed.

Edited by Boisvert 8, Aug 21, 2009 @ 7:59 AM.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2009 @ 6:54 PM

AB seems to leave open the possibility of Godric returning via flashback:

The Ausiello Files:

Any regrets killing off Godric? As Iím sure youíre aware the character was very well-received.

BALL: Thereís no regret in killing him off because I think that [story was] really powerful. That was my favorite thing about the second book. However, we can always go back in history. He and Eric had a relationship for a thousand years. We can always go back and see him again.

masi a go go

masi a go go

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2009 @ 11:30 PM

Kieyra,

Yay! thanks for that, there was also another link in the TB in the media forum, I couldn't find it, were AB says that there will be plenty of opportunity for flashbacks next season as 1,000 years is a long time. AS also says he would love it. I hope it happens!

Edited by masi a go go, Sep 16, 2009 @ 11:31 PM.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2009 @ 5:10 AM

masi a go go, it's this interview I believe. To quote:

Ok. And Godric, is he really dead?

He is really dead.

That was such a tender scene at the end of "I Will Rise Up" between Godric and Eric and Sookie.

Yes, I loved that scene. However, Godric and Eric have a thousand years of flashback territory to be mined.

So here's hoping.

Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 11, 2009 @ 5:44 PM

I think it's important to realize Godric meeting the Sun isn't about the people he personally impacted but about instilling the realization of his people's failures into a single mind. In this case, Eric. He was going to willingly allow himself to be destroyed and people will know this. But it's going to be Eric who is going to start realizing that vampires can't continue to live like they did in the old days anyway.

Slowly but surely, the psychopaths of vampire-kind are being culled away on the show. That's because they can't hide any more. The Trio, Stan, and other old evil doers are dying off. Jessica and the Eddies are starting to replace them. Vampires are evolving, but mainly because they've come out and the circumstances that created them are completely different.

thistlehead

thistlehead

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2011 @ 2:28 PM

Allen Hyde is doing a webcast comedy in Danish with English subtitles. It makes me miss Godric.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Rhx9caTZ_r4

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2011 @ 12:14 AM

Godric shows that the individual human soul or impulse wins the day, along with 2000 years of personal evolution. At some point, he chose a more sacrificial way of life, which suited him. He learned to love or at least not want to harm...everyone.

Other characters do not seem to be proceeding to the place where Godric was, even if they are around 1000 (by which time a vampire's personality would be pretty much set...for most of them, anyway).

I suppose it's always possible to change...(I'm in season 3...I'm trying to stay ready for anything).

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 12:02 AM

Godric shows that the individual human soul or impulse wins the day, along with 2000 years of personal evolution. At some point, he chose a more sacrificial way of life, which suited him. He learned to love or at least not want to harm...everyone.

To be honest, in the beginning he seemed mostly suicidal to me; it wasn't until his spirit/ghost resurfaced in season 3 that I started to believe he had actually evolved into something before he died.

Edited by zomb, Dec 29, 2011 @ 12:03 AM.

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Godric needs his own spin-off, to air in TB's off season.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

The character certainly had the potential for it, altough I feel the same way about Nan, Pam or Alcide.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Godric needs his own spin-off, to air in TB's off season.

I don't know why, but I've always pictured it like one of the World War II scenes from X Men: First Class, only with werewolves instead of nazis/evil mutants.

Leatherstocking

Leatherstocking

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

I hope HBO is reading this. They should start the series way back in Roman times and work their way up to the present.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

I'm under the impression Godric could've been even older than the Romans (although I could be mistaken).

Edited by zomb, Jan 3, 2012 @ 7:30 AM.