The Colony: Reality TV After "The Collapse"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

318 replies to this topic

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 12:29 PM

I was waiting for the phase of the experiment entitled 'Be Fruitful and Multiply' and here in the previews it looks like John C is reunited with his wife. And he looked so much cleaner after the scene where they made soap!

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 2:23 PM

Ok, the use of “I want George to come home” over “I want to go home” was hilarious.

John C. is amazing. Just amazing. I also loved that he realized that he probably would have to alter his vegan ways for his well being.

Also liked that John V. morals shined through. Good for him.

So, it was even more obvious that it’s all the producers’ plans. They realize they need water… and whilst getting it a group of 10 people show up. It must have taken some time to dirty those people up and get them into their Message from Jesus ensembles.

It is nice that next week they’re rewarding the awesomeness of John C. with a visit from a family member… ?? Although from this picture I’m guessing that she’s a full time cast member for the rest of the season.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 2:34 PM

John C is a perfect example of how aging deprivation is; you could have bowled me over with a feather when the tag-line said age 49 (he looks about 10 years older.)

I kind of dig all the science/engineering stuff, although, I don't care how they treat that LA River stank water (I once saw a guy throw dog shit into the LA River) I would be reluctant to drink it. I'm impressed with the veracity achieved vis a vis the participant's seeming acceptance of the "reality" of the scenario.

Edited by spaghettijimmy, Sep 2, 2009 @ 2:35 PM.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 2:41 PM

Did they actually eat wild rats? That just does not seem healthy. Is it possible the warehouse was seeded with domesticated rats? Or maybe the producers swapped some FDA-approved game meat for the rat once the colonists demonstrated that they could catch them?

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 7:21 PM

Is it possible the warehouse was seeded with domesticated rats?

I was wondering about that, too. I've never seen white and black colored rats.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2009 @ 8:55 AM

I'd think so, since the disclaimer reminded viewers that wild rats carried diseases and parasites. When the little rodents were caught they snuggled together just like they were back at Petsmart. (Oh well, they were probably going to be sold as feeder rats anyway. Better a blow to the head than a boa to the head. I guess).

I'm disappointed that the producers planted both a working projector and a reel of home movies but didn't see fit to plant a tin of Jiffy Pop on the shelf. On Gilligan's Island the popcorn would have washed ashore WITH the projector. It's just common sense.

Edited by TedHinD, Sep 4, 2009 @ 8:55 AM.

Murrain2

Murrain2

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2009 @ 7:20 PM

They were hooded rats, not the be confused with hood rats. We used to have one as a pet. Yeah, they're feeder rats. Here's where I call foul: rats go where there's food, if there's no food nearby, they should have no rats...

nikitakitty

nikitakitty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

Okay, I have a problem with this: they keep saying they have no protein. But they have a nursing goat (goat's mile = protein) and laying chickens (eggs = protein). So they do have protein. They don't have meat, but they have protein for nutrition. They need a rooster to fertilize some of the eggs and really get some chickens going there. But it's early days yet.

What I don't understand is what are they feeding the animals? They are in a cement warehouse. They have almost no food for themselves. What grains etc are they feeding the goats and chickens? If they don't feed them well enough the milk will dry up and the hen(s) will stop laying. What are they using?

The more I see them 'create' from 'stuff around the warehouse' the more annoyed I am by this show. It is a great Mr Wizard episode but lacks credibility overall. The sudden emergence of rats when food is scarce is unrealistic. But I would definitely protect those animals if the rats are hungry. Rats are not known for going hungry when alternate food sources are available, and they will gang up and eat animals and attack people if they get desperate enough. And their fleas are a huge health risk, as is rabies. Using them as benign sources of food rather than as a problem to be extermnate asap seems problematic to me.

Faxinator

Faxinator

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 1:23 AM

FYI, the building where the colony is living (Apex Fuel Supply) is the same set used for the Masked Magician on "Magic's Biggest Secrets Revealed".

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 5:04 AM

The more I see them 'create' from 'stuff around the warehouse' the more annoyed I am by this show. It is a great Mr Wizard episode but lacks credibility overall.

And there just happened to be a book on airship design in the warehouse this week.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:58 AM

The costume/make-up folks should have toned it down a few episodes ago. Every group of interlopers looks exactly the same; all wearing the same sorts of rags and scarves like they've been dragged through a Medieval Fair. I just don't believe that when the apocalypse struck, no one was able to grab jeans, tees and polo shirts. Why would a breakdown in civilization suddenly make you want to wear a schmatte? And a wizard robe? It may be the end of the world as you know it, but that world ended in the 21st century, not the Middle Ages. (Anyone waiting to hear the visitors ask for water, food and alms?) Ditto with the dirty faces. Very heavy-handed and Water World. Ick.

Edited by TedHinD, Sep 9, 2009 @ 7:59 AM.

Faxinator

Faxinator

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 8:53 AM

Ok, I'm still watching and still generally enjoying this program, but...

A helium balloon surveillance system? Really show?

Really?

dogfish

dogfish

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 9:49 AM

It may be the end of the world as you know it, but that world ended in the 21st century, not the Middle Ages. Very heavy-handed and Water World.

I was thinking Mad Max, but Water World is more accurate.

Edited by dogfish, Sep 9, 2009 @ 9:50 AM.

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 10:15 AM

Ok, the behind the scenes toying by the producers has officially become more interesting then the build shop of everything! Did they tell the colonist that this was a realSurvivor and thus the other "Survivors" were also struggling with the show? Also, can't believe AwesomeJohn C.'s wife showed up...

And I'm sure Joey appreciated the producers kidnapping Dr. George.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 11:17 AM

I assume John C. was all prepared to build a device to make hydrogen before they "found" the helium tank.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

I'm kind of disappointed how unreal they have made this show. I think the concept is good but the execution is poor.

Guns, guns, guns. Let's face it, all the weapons they have made are useless against a simple handgun. A post-apocalyptic world would be full of people with guns. All the sticks and martial arts aren't going to be worth squat when somebody is waving a gun in your face. Are they forbidden from actually making a useful weapon? They had shotgun shells, but they use it to make fireworks?

Build, build, build. Their solution to every problem is to build something. For all the effort they put into the electric buggy, they could have ridden several hundred miles on a regular bike. A regular bike would probably be faster and more maneuverable as well. The same goes for things like the shower. They could have easily made a shower with a bucket and a few drill holes, but noooo they had to spend days building a shower just so some outsider could come in and use up all their water.

nikitakitty

nikitakitty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 11:08 PM

See,this is what bugs me. The show set up a viral epidemic as the cause of the apocalyptic environment, but they act like bombs went off and there are no more supplies anywhere. I mean, they are living like Mad Max and Waterword, like it was decades or centuries later when in fact it is supposed to be days and weeks after. They could get guns of their own. They could get clothes. They could get vehicles, dirt, plant vegetables, etc. Instead they hole up in a cement and grease warehouse mysteriously stocked with all they need to build a rocket to outer space or a big screen tv a la Gilligan's Island. It is ridiculous. At first I was okay with it but each passing week it gets worse and more unrealistic and internally inconsistent.

Seriously people! Find a place to call your own, build a fort, grow food, arm yourselves against hostiles, and start the world over again. Create a clan, grow into a village, etc etc. (Make sure that John C's DNA gets passed down, too. Just sayin'.)

That's what you do when Rome falls...

Edited because a 'rocker to outer space' made me giggle. And is not at all the same as a 'rocket'.

Edited by nikitakitty, Sep 9, 2009 @ 11:12 PM.

Aarond23

Aarond23

Couch Potato

• Interests:sports, Mythbusters, Survivor

Posted Sep 9, 2009 @ 11:39 PM

The best part about this week was the nurse refusing Mike medical treatment lol...that guy is pretty much becoming a parody of himself at this point.

Something I thought about...at what point would the lack of nutrition start to hamper the 'resourcefulness' of this bunch? I don't think the show has taken that into consideration yet.

Yes I'm pretty sure they get major off camera help for all of their gizmos. A solar powered 3 wheeler built mostly by a 'handyman'? Intersting if true.

Also do you think the young rocket scientist is bummed that she is the only one who isn't majorly losing weight? Ok maybe thats mean lol

rph

rph

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 4:07 AM

Yes I'm pretty sure they get major off camera help for all of their gizmos. A solar powered 3 wheeler built mostly by a 'handyman'? Intersting if true.

None of these people are as "average" as the show pretends. The trike is exactly the sort of thing he's built before. There's a picture of an electric motorcycle on Michael Raines' website that he fabricated:

http://mysite.verizo...3zys/index.html

The best part about this week was the nurse refusing Mike medical treatment lol...that guy is pretty much becoming a parody of himself at this point.

On the flip side, can you imagine Mike refusing to help one of the colonists? That Allison is kinda useless (or has been portrayed as such) isn't exactly a shocking revelation. And Mike being brusque is old hat by this point.

The thing is you have someone like John C. who can separate Mike's ability and attitude and then you have someone like Allison and Morgan who can't. Morgan even said he's difficult to work, talk, and live with (all true, I have no doubt) but then followed it up with calling Mike "a waste of space".

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 8:37 AM

On the flip side, can you imagine Mike refusing to help one of the colonists?

But when has he allowed them to build what they want without him butting in anyway or just taking over the project completely?

From what they have shown on the show, Mike has major control issues (whether it's the man or the actor... undetermined).

The thing is you have someone like John C. who can separate Mike's ability and attitude and then you have someone like Allison and Morgan who can't

No, the problem is that Mike has shown a server misogyny with regard to the women in the house... specifically making fun of their backgrounds in education when compared to his lack of higher education. He has not shown such a disregard to the men and their abilities within the warehouse, and maybe that's why they're are able to blow his attitude off when around him?

dogfish

dogfish

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 10:11 AM

The show set up a viral epidemic as the cause of the apocalyptic environment, but they act like bombs went off and there are no more supplies anywhere.

Yes...exactly! It looks like a post-nuclear war scenario, not a post-viral epidemic one. As someone mentioned earlier, why the pieced together clothing, vehicles and weapons? Why does LA look destroyed and smoldering (was it mass looting)? And most importantly, just what kind of company owned that warehouse...they certainly have a strange array of items stored there!

I guess a group of folks in chinos and golf shirts getting everything they need from the WalMart and then bringing it back to their "home" in a "just off the lot" Suburban XL doesn't make for very compelling TV.

He has not shown such a disregard to the men and their abilities within the warehouse, and maybe that's why they're are able to blow his attitude off when around him?

I'll probably take some heat for this one, but I think men are less sensitive about these kinds of issues than women are. Where a woman might stew about Mike's behavior and try to change him or improve his disposition, most men's attitude towards Mike would be, "what a tool...f@%k him!"

Edited by dogfish, Sep 10, 2009 @ 10:12 AM.

recumbentrider

recumbentrider

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 12:02 PM

Really?

All I could think of as I saw the 'airship' falling into the barbed wire was , "Oh, the humanity!"

I also got a kick out of how they said the woman (I forgot her name) was reading up on airships before the design and build of this 'aerial surveillance' contraption. Did this abandoned warehouse also happen to have a copy of 'The Big Book of Dirigibles', or some such thing?

Even though (as many of you pointed out) this show has many post-apocalyptic absurdities, I am still enjoying watching the colonists build different things each week, even though I am sure they are getting behind-the-scenes engineering and direction from the show's producers. (I especially liked the Tesla-coil-ozone-generator-water purifier.)

The costume/make-up folks should have toned it down a few episodes ago. Every group of interlopers looks exactly the same; all wearing the same sorts of rags and scarves like they've been dragged through a Medieval Fair.

I keep waiting for someone to show up with someone behind them clopping together a pair of coconut shells.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 1:26 PM

That dirigible was pretty sad. It doesn't take a genius to create something like that. Having to research to build it makes it all the more pathetic. I hate to agree with Mike, but some of these colonists are wasted space and it seems to be mostly the women.

Murrain2

Murrain2

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2009 @ 8:32 PM

Why waste two of the solar panels on a space buggy mini-mad max thing when they could have just rode a damn bike? Why?

And why haven't we seen any effort to produce or begin to produce food? That thing that they have, what, like three days worth of left?

See, this is what bugs me. The show set up a viral epidemic as the cause of the apocalyptic environment, but they act like bombs went off and there are no more supplies anywhere. I mean, they are living like Mad Max and Waterword, like it was decades or centuries later when in fact it is supposed to be days and weeks after.

The icky thing about their disaster scenario that they're totally ignoring is bodies. Everybody dies--where are the bodies? Who picked them up? Even if we ignore the idea that it's a viral disaster, one of their biggest concerns, in a "everyone died scenario" would be diseases from the dead. Personally, I'm pretending it was zombies and they all walked off under their own power. I'm hoping that will be the surprise twist ending... But, yeah, it's entirely too sanitary and too little scrounging and gardening. Would it kill them to show these folks sneaking into an overgrown backyard to cut grass to feed the goats and chicken? Or even transporting that sod and soil back to the (extremely large and ill-defended) warehouse?

I also got a kick out of how they said the woman (I forgot her name) was reading up on airships before the design and build of this 'aerial surveillance' contraption. Did this abandoned warehouse also happen to have a copy of 'The Big Book of Dirigibles', or some such thing?

Actually, if I found myself in such a situation, one of the first places I'd head for would be the library for how-to books. But I sure as hell wouldn't be wasting my time with aerial surveillance. I'd just use a nearby tall building...

Krilia

Krilia

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 8:37 AM

Actually, if I found myself in such a situation, one of the first places I'd head for would be the library for how-to books. But I sure as hell wouldn't be wasting my time with aerial surveillance. I'd just use a nearby tall building...

There's a very good Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle book called Lucifer's Hammer that's a post-apocalyptic where a comet hits the Earth, causing tidal waves, etc. The reason I mention it here is because a scientist shows up at an established community in Colorado Springs and buys his way in with Volume 1 of "The Way Things Work" (or similar title) and explaining that volume two and a whole bunch of other books that will help them are hidden. And that he needs a sheep a month to make the insulin he needs to survive, or he won't tell them where the books are. (As you can imagine of a guy who thought of doing this, he knows how to make many things even before adding in the books, starting with how to make insulin, apparently.)

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 11:10 AM

Let's all take a reflective moment and imagine if "The Colony" was a PBS production. Brings a tear, doesn't it? Guns? No, ploughshares. Violence? No, round table discussions. Marauders looking to loot? No, "marauders" bringing maize and fish. The warehouse would contain a harp, the complete works of Thoreau, a hacky sack, and everything needed for a full art studio including a solar kiln. (That, of course, is so the colonists can "sculpt their feelings.")

Edited by TedHinD, Sep 11, 2009 @ 11:12 AM.

nikitakitty

nikitakitty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 11:39 AM

Let's all take a reflective moment and imagine if "The Colony" was a PBS production. Brings a tear, doesn't it? Guns? No, ploughshares. Violence? No, round table discussions. Marauders looking to loot? No, "marauders" bringing maize and fish. The warehouse would contain a harp, the complete works of Thoreau, a hacky sack, and everything needed for a full art studio including a solar kiln. (That, of course, is so the colonists can "sculpt their feelings.")

TedHinD I think I fell in love with you just now, just a little bit. LOL

recumbentrider

recumbentrider

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 11:54 AM

Actually, PBS already did something pretty close to this. It was called 'Colonial House', and it featured people living as if they were 17th century colonists in the 'New World'. Unlike 'The Colony', 'Colonial House' was very realistic, and there wasn't a lot of sculpture, music playing, etc. going on, nor were there any harps or kilns. (At least I don't remember a kiln...) And when Native Americans showed up with maize, the colonists had to trade for it. However, a colonist who became leader of the colony did try to start a 'college', where he was teaching Latin to some of the other colonists.

It is too bad that the colonists on this show got off on the wrong foot with the 'trailer park' colony. Maybe the 'warehouse' colonists could have worked out some trades some trades with the 'trailer park' colonists, using their 'Harbor Freight' goods.

And just where did the colonists get the batteries for that solar powered buggy? Did they cannibalize their power system?

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 2:02 PM

Well Colonial House had to stay true to the period. However one especially crunchy participant did organize a poster contest. You can't keep a good libertarian down.

Faxinator

Faxinator

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

I stopped watching PBS's "Colonial House" after the participants launched the helium balloon made of trash bags. I felt that wasn't true enough to the period.