Drop Dead Diva

• Please log in to reply

1651 replies to this topic

roseslg

roseslg

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 10:28 PM

I am not sure how this goes, but I saw there wasn't a thread for the show and wanted to create one. If there is one, can someone let me know? If the set up isn't correct, also, let me know.

thx

I liked the pilot episode. I called the boyfriend working at the firm right after he said he had a job interview. I wish they wouldn't make things so predictable.

shannon201

shannon201

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

I watched the original airing of the Pilot episode and am currently watching the re-airing (Don't judge, I'm attempting to finish homework). The first airing was presented with no commercials, right? It feels like this should have been an hour and a half Pilot then, because the second broadcast has a lot cut out that I think makes it a little difficult to follow.

While it's not the best show I've ever seen, it wasn't the worst.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 10:43 PM

Post deleted.

Edited by YellowOctober, Feb 1, 2010 @ 1:26 AM.

roseslg

roseslg

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 11:07 PM

Shannon201 - It was presented with limited interruptions. There was a lot missing in the first show, but I'll tune in again. You would think that Jane's parents would at least call their recently shot daughter or something, but nothing.

FelB

FelB

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 11:13 PM

I liked it. It's a nice bit of fluff to end the weekend with, and I liked that Deb didn't immediately go out and remake Jane. And Grayson sees something in her.

LaVieDouce

LaVieDouce

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 11:17 PM

I really liked it, it's got great potential.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 11:33 PM

You would think that Jane's parents would at least call their recently shot daughter or something, but nothing.

In the preview of future guest actors, they showed Rosie O'Donnell. I wonder if maybe she'll be Jane's mom because she somewhat resembles the actress who plays Jane. But I know from the preview Deb's mom will make an appearance. I wonder how that'll turn out.

I liked it. Brooke Elliott is good in the character (playing serious, overworked Jane and now Deb in Jane's body). I like Margaret Cho too. I originally thought this was going to lean towards the comedic side from the previews, but I like the more serious slant.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 11:41 PM

Did this remind anyone else of "Who Is Julia?", which was about this blonde model whose brain gets transplanted into the body of frumy, mulleted Mare Winningham?

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 5:35 AM

Yes! I couldn't think of the name of it, but remembered reading a book about a brain transplant between a model and a less-attractive woman, so that must be it.

I kind of like mindless fluffy shows in the summer, so this one looks like it'll be fun. Especially now that Harper's Island is done.

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 6:35 AM

I enjoyed the Pilot and will continue to watch. Brooke Elliott does an excellent job as JaneDeb. I hope they don't go too far overboard with the character. Margaret Cho is an interesting choice as her assistant. I like her best when she's on a short leash. Lifetime really seems to be improving its content. Hey, if AMC can do it, why not?

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 6:35 AM

It's billed as a comedy, so I'm wondering if the thread belongs in another forum?

Why isn't Deb/Jane living in Jane's apartment? I was expecting a scene where she goes through Jane's closet in horror. Instead she told the skinny blonde that she had nowhere to go.

Edited by CapsChick, Jul 13, 2009 @ 6:36 AM.

JessieQ

JessieQ

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 8:04 AM

Why isn't Deb/Jane living in Jane's apartment? I was expecting a scene where she goes through Jane's closet in horror. Instead she told the skinny blonde that she had nowhere to go.

I kept wondering the same thing!

Also, I was distracted (in a good way) by Grayson's eyes - he looks like a combo of Joaquin Phoenix and young Elvis!

Edited by JessieQ, Jul 13, 2009 @ 9:30 AM.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 8:20 AM

This was better than I expected. I also liked that they did few commercials. It was predictable, but most pilots are. So, I'll keep watching.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 9:11 AM

She probably has a place but it didn't feel like home to original Jane. Her assistant commented in the beginning that Jane slept again in her office and the guardian angel said that the firm is where Jane's body felt most comfortable. For Debs, she could now afford her own place but moving in with her best friend is staying close to who she was before her death.

msstaceyu

msstaceyu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 10:47 AM

I enjoyed the show. It's not my favorite show, but it's a good summer filler show. I don't know if I would invest my time in it if it were on during the regular tv season. I'll check out a few more episodes.

killy

killy

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 12:04 PM

I know this is just the first episode and even though I've learned that some shows can slide down from a sensational promise to a tub of well filled drama cliches from the 1st episode to the 2nd like Royal Pain or maybe I'm just blissful after a well deserved late night supper of cheese thickly laden on a pizza, I just found the first episode of this show very refreshing. Sure the plot is an amalgam of whats already been done and been seen in tv movies, drama, movies... but I just like the lead actress.

May I say that they did great casting with this show. The lead is really quite an attractive lady and I have to say, I squealed at the delight of seeing Fred, her guardian. The shallow me exclaimed "He's hot!".
Last time, I saw Ben Feldman (Fred, the guardian) when he was Justin Lydecker, the young psycho killer in Medium.

I'm pretty bored with the colorful Ugly Betty already, I'm ready for something like Ally McBeal lite, something light, romantic and comedic.

Edited by killy, Jul 13, 2009 @ 2:47 PM.

Gailr

Gailr

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 1:31 PM

I really enjoyed it and agree the casting was really good. The lead is great. I was worried that Margaret Cho might be a little much but she's playing the role very well.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 2:00 PM

The Facebook page is up and running. It's mostly links to interviews, but there's also a mojito recipe and Stacy's (the best friend) chocolate martini recipe on there. It said the mojito's from the upcoming episode, so I'm assuming if a drink is mentioned on the show they'll put its recipe online.

Edited by just checking, Jul 13, 2009 @ 2:01 PM.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 7:24 PM

The one thing I don't think I like is that she got Jane's brains and knowledge of the law but not any of her memories. For one, suddenly getting intelligence and knowledge already makes Deb a completely different person. Also, if she were a complete zero before, why would she suddenly start caring about people? She switched to a caring person way too quickly from what I could see.

Having said that, i did like it. Though I immediately became a Fred/JaneDeb shipper, it'll be interesting to see if her boyfriend really was in love with Deb and if he'll love her now (though, again, she's definitely NOT the same person if she now has brains she never had before.)

kavan30013

kavan30013

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 7:30 PM

Iíve been looking forward to this show since the previews made it look fun. It was more serious than I expected, but in a positive fashion. Brooke Elliott does a great of playing someone playing someone else; Deb is faking it till she makes it as Jane. I agree, I was pleasantly surprised that Deb wasnít instantly in makeover mode for Jane. And I liked the moment when Deb/Jane felt positive about helping someone, BE totally conveyed someone feeling a new emotion for the time. BE and Jackson Hurst also had more chemistry, than he had with Deb.

The one disconnect for me is that Deb seemed like she had a good relationship with Grayson and with Stacy and seemed pretty nurturing. Iím not sure why she had no good deeds. It took her five seconds to be concerned about the widower and the hurt wife so Deb seemed to have very sympathetic instincts. I canít figure out how she was 0/0.

Still the show was good and Iím excited to see what develops next.

JessieQ

JessieQ

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

It's billed as a comedy, so I'm wondering if the thread belongs in another forum?

I think Drop Dead Diva is going to be more of a dramedy (like Psych, Eli Stone, Royal Pains, et al ), so I am fine with it being in the Drama section.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

The one disconnect for me is that Deb seemed like she had a good relationship with Grayson and with Stacy and seemed pretty nurturing. Iím not sure why she had no good deeds. It took her five seconds to be concerned about the widower and the hurt wife so Deb seemed to have very sympathetic instincts. I canít figure out how she was 0/0

I think the show wants us to think that was too self-involved in herself that she wouldn't follow through with sympathetic instincts. But Grayson loved Deb and she loved him, so there was more to her that her shallow good looks.

killy

killy

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

kavan30013

The one disconnect for me is that Deb seemed like she had a good relationship with Grayson and with Stacy and seemed pretty nurturing. Iím not sure why she had no good deeds. It took her five seconds to be concerned about the widower and the hurt wife so Deb seemed to have very sympathetic instincts. I canít figure out how she was 0/0.

I think even though the rule is that Deb only has her memory but has the brains and knowledge of Jane doesn't really apply to Deb, where she & Jane are somehow merging, like all things TV, the lead is almost always more special than the rest. So, even though she doesn't have Jane's memory, she somehow is slowly getting Jane's compassion and craving for delicious wickedly high calorie food.

I want to see more Fred!

pinkluxe1

pinkluxe1

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2009 @ 5:37 PM

The one thing I don't think I like is that she got Jane's brains and knowledge of the law but not any of her memories. For one, suddenly getting intelligence and knowledge already makes Deb a completely different person. Also, if she were a complete zero before, why would she suddenly start caring about people? She switched to a caring person way too quickly from what I could see.

ITA. I was coming here to type the exact same thing. I'm not understanding how she was so shallow before and is suddenly insightful and empathetic with these clients. The shift just seemed like it sort of came out of nowhere.

I'm also a little bit confused about the whole knowledge/memory thing. I would think that Jane's intelligence and memory would be linked on some levels, particularly with all the legal jargon that just seemed to fall out of her mouth after Deb took over her body. I mean its not like Jane was born knowing all that stuff, so wouldn't some of her knowledge be based on memory rather than just natural intelligence? I'm just not understanding how she can recall certain things as Jane but have no knowledge of others. Maybe I missed the explanation of this somewhere during the show.

Overall I enjoyed the show though.

Edited by pinkluxe1, Jul 14, 2009 @ 5:39 PM.

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2009 @ 8:40 PM

I am floored with how much I liked this show. Tuned in because of the nonstop commercials playing on all the affiliates, and was surprised by how good it was. The main actress is so freaking likeable that you can't help but root for her. I'm going to pretend that the whole "keep her own memory but get Jane's smarts" makes sense, but glad that it seems from the previews that Deb is still confused with how that works. This show is much better than the other summer shows so far!

Ben Feldman is hot! Reminds me of Reid Scott who plays Brendan on "My Boys" and that other actor on Bring it On. I'm also surprised at the little twist with Grayson working with Deb/Jane- that will be a nice storyline.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 6:50 AM

I find the actress who plays Jane much more attractive than the one who plays Deb. I think if she were put into a better wardrobe she'd look great. Presumably that is only a matter of time.

Edited by CapsChick, Jul 15, 2009 @ 7:15 AM.

the eskimo

the eskimo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 1:22 PM

This was a cute show, and I will probably give it at least another episode or two to completely win me over (I just stumbled upon this the other night...amazing what a lack of tv will lead you to!).

I was a little bit dissapointed about the heavy-handed stereotypes, but I suppose that's kind of what the show is about. But seriously, I don't think most overweight people get distracted in meetings just because there is a plate of donuts on the table. I get that "Deb" is just realizing she craves junk food, but some on. Plus, do models not even crave the bad food?

That and the whole memory/intelligence thing. IQ is just the ability to learn. All of that knowledge would be part of Jane's memories, not infused into her brain matter.

Anyway, I will be tuning back in, but I hope they can get away from the fat jokes (and everyone treating Jane like she's an ogre) and add a bit more depth soon...

Squeezer

Squeezer

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 2:58 PM

This was surprisingly good. I agree with all the gaps in logic already posted here, but I'm not going to try too hard to dissect the flaws (like where were Deb's parents at the funeral?). It's good fun with no heavy thinking, and the lead actress is a delight. She really nailed some scenes with her expressions of confusion, loss, longing for her boyfriend, etc. I think it has great potential. I'm looking forward to the confrontations between Jane and her nemisis at the office. I'm betting the boyfriend is going to see Deb in Jane's eyes before long. He already seems drawn to her.

Looking forward to the next episode.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 3:25 PM

I wish this wasn't on Sunday nights-already too crowded. Thankfully Lifetime repeats often. Was it just the premiere that had limited commercials on first airing, or will that continue?

annsterg

annsterg

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 4:15 PM

I stumbled across an ad for this show and watched it online yesterday, solely because I love Margaret Cho...and like others here, was surprised by how much I liked it. I added it to the DVR yesterday.

I feel like I am channeling my mother but dang, I want Jane to get her hair out of her face!!

Jane's office nemesis reminded me of Emily Blunt (The Devil Wore Prada).

And I want to see Jane's home, but her living with Stacy (? is that right?) will hopefully provide lots of fun story opportunities. One thing I thought the show did very well was set up the supporting characters.

We'll see...I historically have very bad luck with new shows (canceled, moved all over the schedule, goes on hiatus for months, etc) so I hope by watching, I haven't cursed it.