• Please log in to reply

11913 replies to this topic

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2009 @ 8:16 PM

I looked and didn't see a thread started for this, so here goes:

USA is now bringing in a show called White Collar

USA has given the greenlight to "White Collar," sending the drama to series.

The Fox Television Studios production focuses on a pair of long-time adversaries, a charming criminal mastermind (Matthew Bomer) and a dogged G-man (Tim DeKay). Facing capture and jail-time (or the tsouris of breaking out of prison once again), the con artist offers to help his FBI contemporary track down other criminals in exchange for his freedom.

In addition to Bomer ("Chuck") and DeKay ("Tell Me You Love Me"), "White Collar" stars Tiffani [No more "Amber"] Thiessen ("Saved By the Bell," "Beverly Hills, 90210") and Will Garson ("Sex and the City").

"'White Collar' is the perfect complement in our hot summer line up of character-driven originals that continue to draw loyal audiences to USA Network," say Jackie de Crinis, USA's vice president for original scripted programming. "The strength of the show's lead characters, smart writing and crisp direction are key elements that we believe are the tentpoles of another compelling series."

The series was created by Jeff Eastin ("Hawaii"). The 90-minute pilot was directed by Bronwen Hughes ("Burn Notice") and will be followed by 13 hour-long episodes. "White Collar" will be shot on location in New York.

Here's some other stuff about it:

Texas-born Matthew Bomer, 31, began his career on television with soap operas All My Children and Guiding Light. Later on, he appeared on Tru Calling and most recently, on NBC's Chuck as Bryce Larkin and in Traveler as Jay Burchell. Bomer has also appeared in films Flightplan and Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning as well as television series North Shore.

Tim DeKay on the other hand has been a regular on HBC's Tell Me You Love Me and Carnivale. He also previously appeared in My Name is Earl, Everwood, Party of Five and Seinfeld. His guest appearances include those in CSI, Without a Trace, NCIS, Cold Case, Numb3rs, Ally McBeal and The 4400.

Matthew Bomer and Tim DeKay team up for White Collar, a series that follows the unlikely team of a con artist and an FBI agent who have been after each other for years. Bomer plays Neal Caffrey, a charming criminal mastermind who is finally caught by his nemesis, Peter Stokes, played by DeKay. When Neal gets a chance to escape prison, Neal stands in his way. However, instead of heading back behind bars, he proposes an alternative plan: Neal will provide his criminal expertise to assist the authorities in capturing the most notorious criminals in exchange for his freedom. Peter soon realizes that the good guys don't really have all it takes to get down and dirty to capture the criminals.

Not much else is there, but I'm already seeing the previews for it. Looks good to me. Haven't caught when it'll be premiering though.

ETA:

White Collar Preview

White Collar Cast

Edited by SisterOfSylar, Jul 9, 2009 @ 7:27 PM.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 12:57 AM

The previews look sharp, if a bit generic. The old 'reformed criminal and cop' formula had been done to death in the 80's. This one is basically a spin-off or sequel to the movie 'Catch me if you Can'

At least the cast looks sharp. Tim DeKay is a genius and deserves to be a lead.

Maybe the dusted off some "Hardcastle and McCormick' scripts.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 7:36 AM

The old 'reformed criminal and cop' formula had been done to death in the 80's.

When I first saw the preview for this show, I thought, "I swear I've heard this premise somewhere before," but I can't figure out where! Can someone offer some hints?

I never thought Matthew (or "Matt") Bomer was that great-looking, but he really caught my eye in this one. And he looks charming, which is always good.

So, even though it looks familiar, I'm looking forward to it. USA has been pretty good about their original dramas, but I hereby request that there is no ne'er-do-well (read: annoying) sibling or other family member in this one. They've gone back to that well too often (Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, Royal Pains).

Edited by Redtracer, Jul 31, 2009 @ 7:40 AM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 8:02 AM

When I first saw the preview for this show, I thought, "I swear I've heard this premise somewhere before," but I can't figure out where! Can someone offer some hints?

"48 Hours" with Eddie Murphy & Nick Nolte, perhaps?

bluepencil

bluepencil

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 8:39 AM

Haven't caught when it'll be premiering though.

I was watching "Royal Pains" on my TiVo this morning and actually slowed down the commercial for this to watch. It's starting in October.

Cornballer

Cornballer

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 10:11 AM

Read the pilot script a while back. Without spoiling any major plot points, it's a USA show through and through -- the premise is generic but inoffensive, and it contains a fair amount of "how to" information (in this case, how certain types of white collar crimes are pulled off).

I wasn't surprised at any point in the script, but the leads are all good actors with a decent amount of charisma, and I could see it being a hit.

RolloTomassi

RolloTomassi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 10:53 AM

I never thought Matthew (or "Matt") Bomer was that great-looking, but he really caught my eye in this one.

Me too, although that's mostly because I was convinced he was actually the love child of Henry Cavill (The Tudors) and Evan or Jaron (of Evan and Jaron).

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Aug 24, 2009 @ 2:00 AM

This is basically the TV version of Catch Me If You Can. But I'm still looking forward to it. Looks fun; and it was shot in NYC, so extra points from me.

The premiere:

On Friday, October 23 at 10/9c, WHITE COLLAR will debut with a special 90-minute episode followed by 13 one-hour episodes.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2009 @ 4:09 PM

Has anyone tried to find out any more info on this series? I've been trying to find out when it starts so i can at least catch the premiere.

Deianeira

Deianeira

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 3:11 PM

All I know is that it's been filming on 51st or 52nd Street in NYC for the past couple of days. Yesterday I was on my way to my temp job when some people were shooing us across the street, saying that they were filming a stunt. I wished I could have stayed and watched. There are signs on the lampposts saying that it's White Collar that's filming. Unfortunately I haven't seen any actors, just a lot of vans and electrical cables.

Special

Special

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 4:02 PM

I'm looking forward to this. I'm a sucker for "criminal let out of jail to fight crime" stories, and the cast looks attractive. Also, I love Burn Notice and like In Plain Sight, but can't stand whatever the hell that doctor show is. So USA has a winning record with me, for the most part.

I wish there was a premiere date beyond "October". Are they still deciding what show to put it up against?

Wednesday Last

Wednesday Last

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 7:45 PM

Unfortunately I haven't seen any actors, just a lot of vans and electrical cables.

They were shooting in Central Park Monday. I was walking my bloodhound by Bethesda Fountain, when I saw a well dressed, very handsome man come walking quickly up the path. It was Matthew Bomer and he wanted to pet my dog. He said he loved bloodhounds and we chatted about the hound for a few minutes before the tech with him (who also stopped to pet the hound) finally got him to move along. Very nice and as good looking in person as on screen. Of course all I could think besides how handsome he was, was that he would get drool on that nice costume!

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 8:00 PM

It reminded me of "It Takes a Thief". A late 60s TV show starring Robert Wagner.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 7:33 AM

It reminded me of "It Takes a Thief". A late 60s TV show starring Robert Wagner.

Ah, I think that's it. I think I might have watched it in syndication with my mom at some point. Thanks for the suggestions, everybody!

Has anyone tried to find out any more info on this series? I've been trying to find out when it starts so i can at least catch the premiere.

The Futon Critic posted a press release at the beginning of August stating that the start date was October 23 at 10 p.m., but I haven't heard this confirmed anywhere else. Plus, I haven't heard this date stated on any of the commercials either. So maybe USA is reconsidering?

I don't know why they would. They've had great success on Friday nights, and this means that White Collar would have the final season of Monk as a lead-in. That seems like an OK plan to me.

Deianeira

Deianeira

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 10:07 AM

The Futon Critic posted a press release at the beginning of August stating that the start date was October 23 at 10 p.m., but I haven't heard this confirmed anywhere else.

Ausiello is giving out the October 23 date.

Ausiello Fall TV Cheat Sheet

It's strange that USA doesn't have a date on their site for the show, however.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2009 @ 9:59 PM

Every time I see a preview of this the very handsome lead reminds me of Paul Gross during his Due South days - the characters are very different of course, but they are both head-turners.

mmoomin

mmoomin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 10:11 AM

Of the three advance reviews I looked at its a little puzzling two are very complimentary about the show then the final one says its generic averageness! Hopefully the third reviewer just remembers to many bad 80s buddy buddy movies/shows.

I know USA have a formula and Caffrey has been described by Bomer as having the impulse control of a four year old......sound familiar? While DeKay's character is a hard working focused FBI agent (sounds like a cross of Det Lassister and Gus of Psych fame). So a more stylish 'adult' version of Psych perhaps? I had been expecting Bryce Larkin Mk2 with a bit more humour added to him so heres hoping Bryce Spencer works out in the context of the show.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

Found a website with a little more information about the characters at least. Here's what they got down for character descriptions:

Neal Caffrey (Matt Bomer): Charming, sexy and sophisticated, Neal Caffrey is one of the world's greatest con artists. With his talents, Neal can have anything he desires, and what he wants more than anything is to track down his recently vanished girlfriend, Kate. After escaping from prison and getting caught by the man who put him there in the first place, Agent Peter Burke - Neal strikes a bargain: In exchange for his freedom, Neal will help the FBI catch the most elusive criminals in the country. Now, Neal is using his unique skills to help the government, and trying his hardest to stay on the right side of the law for once.

Sounds like the main plotline however will be Neal trying to find his girlfriend.

Agent Peter Burke (Tim DeKay): A no-nonsense federal agent in the FBI's White Collar Crime Unit, Peter Burke believes in earning success the old-fashioned way, with perseverance and hard work. It took him years of both, along with the steadfast support of his loving wife, Elizabeth, to finally catch elusive white-collar criminal Neal Caffrey. Now, Peter finds himself teaming up with his former adversary, and though hesitant to trust cunning ex-con Neal Caffrey, Peter can't help but recognize that with all his charm, intelligence and expertise, Neal might just be the perfect partner.

Of course he's hesitant to trust Caffrey. But I bet you anything by the end of the first season, he'll trust him completely, as it is with most USA shows I think. Basically their going for the exact opposite here, just like every other USA show. But hopefully it'll work.

Elizabeth Burke (Tiffani Thiessen): The beautiful and steadfast wife of FBI agent Peter, Elizabeth Burke understands her husband's work ethic. As Peter's confidante, she stands by her husband as he tracks elusive criminals and offers fresh perspective whenever he needs it. Elizabeth's support never wavers, even as she juggles her home life with a demanding career in event planning. All she asks for is a little attention in return. When Peter teams up with his old nemesis Neal Caffrey, Elizabeth has her doubts. However, when Peter's romantic side starts to show for the first time in years, she wonders if perhaps her husband's partnership with the charming Neal will have its benefits.

Okay two negatives already: I don't like the actress. Didn't like her in anything I've seen, and I think she's going to drag down a show I find compelling just from the previews. And second: I sooooo don't want to see her suddenly falling for the con man. That's majorly cliche and I am hoping the show stays away from that.

Mozzie (Willie Garson): Neal Caffrey's friend and trusted ally, Mozzie has deep connections in the criminal underworld and can get just about anything for Neal, from classified secrets to cutting edge technology. What Mozzie lacks in charm and charisma, he makes up for with insider knowledge and secret sources. Neal has always counted on his mysterious friend, and now that Neal is spending a little time on the right side of the law, Mozzie's connections could prove to be more valuable than ever.

And he'll probably test Caffrey a lot. Always have to have something tempting someone trying to go straight. And most likely at one point, Mozzie will end things with Caffrey. Or Caffrey will end up having to turn Mozzie over to Peter, and won't do it, etc.

I want to like the idea of the show and find it interesting, I'm just hoping that out of all these characterizations, Thiessen's "acting" won't bring it down.

ElleEstTrois

ElleEstTrois

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2009 @ 3:17 AM

I never thought Matthew (or "Matt") Bomer was that great-looking, but he really caught my eye in this one. And he looks charming, which is always good.

What? Redtracer...he's gorgeous. *sigh* His intro in Chuck just cemented his deliciousness in my mind. Mmm.

It was Matthew Bomer and he wanted to pet my dog. He said he loved bloodhounds and we chatted about the hound for a few minutes before the tech with him (who also stopped to pet the hound) finally got him to move along. Very nice and as good looking in person as on screen. Of course all I could think besides how handsome he was, was that he would get drool on that nice costume!

Oh, Wednesday, you lucky girl! I would have died.

You know what would be cool--this show crossing over w/ Leverage. I'd squee for 20 minutes.

I, for one, don't particularly care if this show is derivative of every A&E original program; I'm tuning in for Bomer and DeKay and the possibility of HoYay.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2009 @ 6:50 AM

What? Redtracer...he's gorgeous.

It wasn't that I thought he was bad looking. He reminded me of a generic model-type, bordering on "pretty boy." Of course, that's how I feel about Brad Pitt too, so clearly, I'm not to be trusted!

I'm looking forward to him in White Collar because it looks like he's going to have a lot of personality, which is something I haven't seen from him yet.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 12:14 AM

The official website has been updated. Photos, descriptions, twitter and facebook accounts, videos, etc.

kellykapowski

kellykapowski

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 2:55 PM

I'm sure my name gives it away... but personally, I am thrilled that Tiffani Thiessan is part of the cast!

And based on the character description, this sounds like it's going to be a real "grown-up" role for her. I think she will be great in a more adult and mature role - and am very curious to see her chemistry both with Tim DeKay and Matt Bomer (swoon!)

Regardless, a very strong ensemble cast.

Special

Special

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 4:27 PM

And based on the character description, this sounds like it's going to be a real "grown-up" role for her.

Yeah, I think so too, which is a nice change.

The entire cast is pretty and the concept has potential for fun and entertainment.

kellykapowski

kellykapowski

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2009 @ 12:09 PM

Speaking of... Tiffani Thiessen just did an interview where she talks about the new role. It's a good read, good insights on the show:

Tiffani Thiessen Drops the Amber and Gets a WHITE COLLAR

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2009 @ 12:10 AM

Thanks for the link, kellykapowski. It was a good article.

Tiffani getting cast didn't exactly make me excited for the role but I didn't hate it either. It looks like it'll be an adult role and I'm willing to give her a chance to bring something new to the role that maybe I hadn't seen from her before. Besides, I suspect her character might be a bit like Henry on Psych. Corbin Bernsen is awesome but his screentime is significantly less.

Redtracer, you're not alone in regards to Brad Pitt. But otherwise, I'm with ElleEstTrois in finding him beautiful. I might have thought "pretty boy" too when I first saw him but somewhere between initial impression and seeing him as a serial killing gigolo, I fell in love. I followed him to Traveler, would watch his stints on Bryce and now I'm thrilled he's getting this show. He's also commonly known as "Bret Ratner's choice to play Superman" before Singer took over and Brandon Routh was cast. So when Ratner did a commercial in Japan, he put Matt in it as Clark Kent.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Zf0K0pmOXx8

With the exception of Royal Pains, I tend to like USA's crime themed shows and I don't care how "done" the premise is, it looks like it'll be fun.

SisterOfSylar

SisterOfSylar

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2009 @ 10:33 PM

Bumping a little. Two more weeks until season premiere.

The occasional clip I've seen is certainly making me more and more interested. Can't wait to see how it pans out.

And I like Bomer so far in the clips. This one clip so far, near the end when discussing another agent.

"She likes my hat."

Straight edge agent "She'd rather be wearing the hat."

Puzzled, thinking look on Bomer... then the sort of 'ohhhhh' look.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

Here's an interview with Matt Bomer and Tim Dekay:

http://www.movieweb..../NE70Z7bg6l7n9b

It's a good interview except for some glaring typos.

I especially liked this from Matt:

Matt Bomer: One of the things we fight for in every episode and Jeff does a great job of writing is the fact that we really respect each other's intelligence. There's no - it's not like Tim is the bumbling FBI agent and I'm the genius con artist. We're both hopefully the smartest guys in the room and our certain qualities that other - that, you know, Peter has that Neal doesn't complement his style of problem-solving. And so ultimately they form kind of a good team that way. And that's something we really try to flesh out in every episode.

And that'll make it a refreshing change of pace from Psych and Monk even though I enjoy those shows as well.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2009 @ 12:54 AM

I hope they are truly going to do white collar criminal cases, because there are so many "murder of the week" shows out there, that would be a refreshing change of pace for me.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2009 @ 7:26 AM

There's no - it's not like Tim is the bumbling FBI agent and I'm the genius con artist.

Yes please! I've grown rather tired of the idiot professional/genius interloper trend that seems to have invaded television. Irlandesa, you mentioned Monk and Psych, and that aspect of The Mentalist also drives me up a wall. If we can get two competent adults working together, I'm pretty sure I'll love this show.

kellykapowski

kellykapowski

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 2:16 PM

I hope they are truly going to do white collar criminal cases, because there are so many "murder of the week" shows out there, that would be a refreshing change of pace for me.

Agreed! But from what I've read and seen so far, it looks like they are really gearing the series towards more sophisticated crimes -- art theft, forgery, jewel heists, counterfeiting, etc. I think this will definitely be a step up from standard procedurals we are used to.