Good Grief! It's the Peanuts Thread

• Please log in to reply

125 replies to this topic

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

Breaking news: Fox is planning a Peanuts animated feature film for 2015.

I don't know if it's going to be a regular cartoon or CGI. Either way...I'm scared.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

"
Any real good reason to be pessimistic instead of happy that Charlie Brown is making a come back?

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

I share the fear. The 2D quaint charm that made the strip and cartoons what they are can (and maybe will?) likely be tossed in the name of "progress" and CGI that this company is so very fond of. See "Ice Age". If it is left alone, with kids still doing the voices? Great!

But, if not, pass. I don't need a 3D Snoopy or whatever.

Ubuntu

Ubuntu

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 11, 2012 @ 4:03 AM

Peppermint Patty actually is nice to Charlie Brown, if only in that she does truly like him and is constantly trying to get him to have fun and be more social. She comes on too strong at times, but she means well.

I thought she was actually kinda nasty to him at the end of Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown . . . and Don't Come Back! Just because he didn't say anything romantic didn't mean he had no romance. But to her, apparently, it did.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Yeah, I didn't like that about Peppermint Patty either. She got so mad at him every time he didn't seem to return any feelings or pick up on her slightly aggressive romantic hints. He's a 8-10 year old boy, give him a break!

Any real good reason to be pessimistic instead of happy that Charlie Brown is making a come back?

I know it's early, and part of me is happy that Charlie Brown will be back. I'm just afraid that Hollywood is going to mess it up like they did with countless other cartoons in my childhood. Like WendyCR72 said, it was the 2D quaint charm that made the cartoon what it is.

But yes, we should wait and see.

Edited by Spartan Girl, Oct 12, 2012 @ 1:57 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

To be fair, Charlie Brown should be easy to do so long as you keep it in the time capsule pre-9/11 era. A lot of the things we've got since the strip ended (mainstream internet, DVD and MP3 Players, social media, reality TV and kids becoming more or less mini-adults) would upset the balance of the franchise and moreso, result in wholesale changes to the characters that would make them unrecognizable.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

I don't really see modernization as a huge threat to Peanuts - even when the strip was still running, Schulz managed to avoid it. I think that's part of what has made Peanuts so enduringly popular; it has this timeless quality that makes it relevant no matter what decade you're reading it in. Even at their most cerebral, the questions the kids are pondering are classical philosophical ones involving the meaning of life and the nature of mankind. Things like 21st century technology and pop culture aren't really at the forefront of the Peanuts world.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

I'm so old school, the only CB shows I re-watch are Great Pumpkin & Charlie Brown Christmas. I enjoyed Thanksgiving, some of the other specials and the movies as a kid, but don't feel the pull to revisit them as an adult. I haven't seen any of the specials that have come out after the early 80s. The voices don't sound right to me in the newer shows.

I don't know how many of you know the movie Yours, Mine & Ours (the original w/Henry Fonda & Lucille Ball), but it was a huge favorite in my house growing up. Anyway, in a story about 18 kids, the only actual child who got a real storyline was Philip, one of Ball's sons (the older teens got storylines too). The actor who played Philip was also the voice of Linus in the classic CB specials. Here's a clip so you can hear for yourself.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

The actor who played Philip was also the voice of Linus in the classic CB specials

Not quite. The child actor was Eric Shea, who was the younger brother of Christopher Shea who did voice Linus at that time. They had similar voices.

Edited by magicdog, Oct 13, 2012 @ 2:11 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

They sure did - I always thought it was the same kid.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 3:28 AM

I don't really see modernization as a huge threat to Peanuts - even when the strip was still running, Schulz managed to avoid it.

Actually Schulz moved with the times (which is why Peanuts endured and stayed relevant while other strips from 50s and 60s were seen as dinosaurs perpetually stuck in the past). It wasn't always pretty at times (case in point, Peppermint Patty getting her hair braided to look like Bo Derreck) but he did.

Had the strip continued, the internet would have eventually made it's way into the series. Even if it was just Snoopy possessing it.

And hell, the whole viral video movement would be something Schultz would have jumped on in terms of Snoopy having Woodstock record him doing stuff. Not to mention the cruelty potential of Lucy recording Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

Or the Ipod envy of everyone having an Apple MP3 player and Charlie Brown stuck with a dollar store MP3 player that runs on batteries.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Not quite. The child actor was Eric Shea, who was the younger brother of Christopher Shea who did voice Linus at that time. They had similar voices.

And, sadly, Christopher Shea died two or three years ago. Seemed much too young to go!

Anyone recall a special after a showing of the classic '65 Christmas special back around 2000-ish that Whoopi Goldberg had hosted, where the original voice actors were interviewed as adults? It was quite something. I recall Chris Shea recited the bible passage that Linus did in the cartoon. And the woman (then girl) that supplied Lucy's voice had said how she had watched it with her own granddaughter, who did not, at first, believe it was her grandmother as Lucy!

I have looked for it on YouTube with no success and am surprised it was never released as a bonus feature on the DVD and/or Blu-Ray. I believe it only aired one year, in place of the holiday shorts that usually now follow the '65 special.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

Before we all sit down to enjoy Charlie Brown Thanksgiving,

The complete series of The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show is now available for you to own.

Happy Holidays, you Blockhead!!

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Hooray! I've missed the Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show! I used to watch that all the time when I was a kid.

Anyway, I watched A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving last week. During the final sequence when Snoopy and Woodstock had their own Thanksgiving mean, did anyone notice that

1) Snoopy knew how to make turkey the whole time and never let anyone know? Of course, it's typical Snoopy, being able to do a gourmet meal while letting Charlie Brown agonize over making do with toast and popcorn, but still...

2) Woodstock should not have eaten turkey. I mean, that's really disturbing.

ABC Family is airing Snoopy Come Home and A Boy Named Charlie Brown tonight. Show of hands, who cried at Snoopy Come Home? I did. Charlie Brown's "It Changes" ripped my heart out of my chest. Funny how it's one of the rare times Snoopy showed he actually cared about Charlie Brown.

dougfir

dougfir

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

Peppermint Patty getting her hair braided to look like Bo Derreck

Using Tinkertoys, if I remember correctly.

Show of hands, who cried at Snoopy Come Home?

(*raises hand sheepishly*) Even though everything turned out all right at the end, I think it caused me more childhood trauma than Old Freakin' Yeller. Still have fond memories of it, however, if only for "No dooogggs allooowwed", as well as the "Hell, yeah!" sequence where Snoopy and Woodstock escape the house of that obnoxious little girl holding them prisoner.

Edited because I'm a blockhead when it comes to tags.

Edited by dougfir, Nov 27, 2012 @ 5:01 PM.

carolinagirl63

carolinagirl63

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

Show of hands, who cried at Snoopy Come Home?

I did. It's the only show I remember crying over as a child. Like Snoopy was going to disappear forever.

kathyk2

kathyk2

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

A better question would be who didn't cry during Snoopy Come? That movie and Charlotte's Web were tearjerkers when I was younger.

FortKnoxII

FortKnoxII

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

Watched Happy New Year Charlie Brown. Ok what kind of teacher gives an 8 year old War and Peace to read? Over the Christmas holiday no less?

And how come Linus didn't have to read it? They were in the same class.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Because apparently the universe hates Charlie Brown.

After all the times I've watched it, I still hate Linus with a passion for dancing with the Little Red Haired Girl. There was an episode of the Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show where he got hugged by her for winning a baseball game while Charlie Brown was out sick. It was actually based on a Peanuts strip -- the only difference was that on the show, Linus looked scared and guilty when Charlie Brown confronted him (and with good reason, because Charlie Brown looked like he was about to strangle him with his own blanket), while in the strip, Linus didn't look the least bit concerned.

I don't know why Charlie Brown was even friends with him. It's not like he ever stood up for him when everyone was making him miserable.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

I also hated how everyone just ignored when Charlie Brown was saying about his book report. He constantly explains he is trying to read it and everyone is like: "Oh yea, let's have fun. What did you say again?" Also, War and Peace is considered 8th grade level reading book these days. So, in 1985, it would have been at least sophomore level reading then.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

The kicker: He had to read it and do a report on it in a week. That he still got a lousy grade on. That's just barbaric.

FortKnoxII

FortKnoxII

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2013 @ 9:22 AM

Happy New Year. Lets hope Charlie Brown has a better year.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 4:49 AM

Lets hope Charlie Brown has a better year.

Not likely.

Charlie Brown's been arrested!

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 9:05 AM

Jesus. I think the AV Club's article about this summed it up best: "Childhood is just a football waiting to be yanked away."

FortKnoxII

FortKnoxII

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2013 @ 12:46 AM

Just to let everyone know ABC will be playing The Great Pumpkin on Halloween night.

Blixx

Blixx

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2013 @ 3:00 AM

Good to know that ABC is still playing the classics, can't wait for TGPCB and A Charlie Brown Christmas

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

Anyone recall a special after a showing of the classic '65 Christmas special back around 2000-ish that Whoopi Goldberg had hosted, where the original voice actors were interviewed as adults? It was quite something. I recall Chris Shea recited the bible passage that Linus did in the cartoon. And the woman (then girl) that supplied Lucy's voice had said how she had watched it with her own granddaughter, who did not, at first, believe it was her grandmother as Lucy!

I have looked for it on YouTube with no success and am surprised it was never released as a bonus feature on the DVD and/or Blu-Ray. I believe it only aired one year, in place of the holiday shorts that usually now follow the '65 special.          

It's on YouTube now(not the best video quality, though):

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeHIVno4IAY

Part 2: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bGZBjDiSq6c

Part 3: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PoSc65AcM_Q

DonnyKetchum

DonnyKetchum

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2013 @ 6:56 PM

Glad this thread got bumped because I had a question based on a vague memory that suddenly resurfaced a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know the name of the episode in which Snoopy and Woodstock were sent into a simulation or some kind of video game to find a treasure of some sort, all the while having to avoid the "Mean Person," who was really a monstrously huge and very feral Lucy?  It's been bugging me to no end to try and remember it.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

It was probably an episode of Charlie Brown and Snoopy. Sounds like something from that short-lived show....

midwestmusician

midwestmusician

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2013 @ 12:28 PM

Interesting article about "Great Pumpkin".

http://www.washingto...c755b_blog.html