The Dylan Ratigan Show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

79 replies to this topic

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

• Interests:Performing Arts, Politics

Posted Jun 29, 2009 @ 9:35 AM

I like it. It's the best parts of Morning Joe w/out Mika and Doucheborough!

Dylan settles in as a host whereas his ADD interfered as a guest.

kelkon

kelkon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2009 @ 11:03 AM

I caught the segment on Bruno...I was scared for one brief moment that the info box next to Capeheart was going to say...

* Washington Post reporter
* and he's gay!

Where was Uncle Pat for that segment? That? Would have been hysterical.

I'll definitely be watching more of this to see if perhaps I can now escape the "I-watch-because-of-the-guest-list-and-not-the-asshat-hosts" shackles of Morning Joe.

Edited by kelkon, Jun 29, 2009 @ 11:04 AM.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 7:15 AM

This is growing on me.
I would only request that they get rid of Contessa.
Dylan never lets her get a word in edge wise and when she does, it's a stupid comment anyway.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 9:20 AM

Does he have to be so LOUD? That's why I think this isn't his forte. He was perfect for Wall Street with all the shouting and over the top comments.

I gave it a shot, but the loudness just bugs me (and I HATE Contessa!).

workoutjunkie

workoutjunkie

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Competing in physique contests.

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 9:53 AM

I'm watching this show for the first time today. I want to give it a chance because I like the mix of issues covered, but I have to agree about the loudness. Is he always this loud? Geez all the guests are speaking over each other. It's a bit much. And is Contessa his Mika? MSNBC, Dylan doesn't need a vapid sidekick!

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 10:21 AM

I have to put in a good word for this show, too. I don't agree with him on much of anything so far, but I like it that that doesn't matter at all. The programs I've seen, he has a good variety of intelligent guests speaking about a variety of interesting subjects in a way where I usually learn something or get a new perspective or feeling about it (just a small part today: CIA, "Bruno", marriage, GM's emergence from bankruptcy....various things).

When someone corrected him on referring to "the gay lifestyle" rather than "a (particular portrayal) of a gay life" he totally got it, encouraged them to develop it, admitted "Okay, I'm an idiot" and then--to another person's point about it being important--when you're not OF a culture, to be sensitive to it--gave the comparison if he and his friends thought it would be fun/funny to make a movie where they pretend to be black and generalize about stereotypes, etc.

Point being, you can see him actually THINKING on this show and (dare I say?) LEARNING something from his guests. He says its a conversation and it actually seems like one--not just predictable talking points.

As for Contesssa, OMG. She cannot be mentioned in the same breath as Mika. Contessa is intelligent, professional and can report news on the fly (and even Dylan saw the irony and humor of having this big serious discussion about a silly movie in his "first week at MSNBC" while being juxtaposed against video from Rome of Obama in a meeting with the Pope).

Mika? Is a vapid, self-important idiot--as someone aptly put it here at TWOP, the Sarah Palin of the airwaves (only without any actual OPINION). Contessa deserves better, much better, than that! (IMO)

Anyway, here in CA I'm confused about the times I watch MSNBC in the morning. Did Dylan replace any of Morning Joe's time? Because for that alone, it would be a public service.

Edited by Lisette, Jul 10, 2009 @ 10:24 AM.

Lucy1362

Lucy1362

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 11:34 AM

I cannot watch more than a few minutes of this show at a time because of the volume and the overspeaking. I like the format and the guests but I think Ratigan is a HORRIBLE host. I can barely tolerate him, he is too loud and obnoxious for the morning. He needs to turn the volume down and sllllooooowwww doooowwwwnnn.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 6:17 PM

Point being, you can see him actually THINKING on this show and (dare I say?) LEARNING something from his guests. He says its a conversation and it actually seems like one--not just predictable talking points.

This one thing I always liked when he was on Morning Joe. And Douchborough was not sucking all the air out of the room belittling him because you know deep down Douchborough hates a man who probably has more luck based just on the looks dept. But Dylan always seems to actually listen to the guests. As opposed to Douchborough who was already trying to fling out his rehearsed talking points or Mika playing the three monkeys simultaneously and trying to hear, speak and see no evil.

The sound is a problem. Today though I was in the gym being a slow starter day for me, all fired up by the douchy-ness of Dan Senor on Morning Joe, so the sound was perfect. Dylan and workouts go great together.

I'm not a fan of Contessa. I don't think she is as bad as Mika but I still find her more vacuous than I care to be subjected to. Tamryn seems more a fit with Dylan to me. Alison would be magic.

But I do think Dylan could use a couple of hours having to listne to himself as averse conditioning to get away from the CNBC money screaming tendencies that I do suspect came from not just working the floor but the incredibly pathetic ball swinging chest beating steel match cage in the frat house basement performances those silly panels of eight and up take part in on that "network" regularly.

But anything is better than Morning Joe these days. And Dylan could bray like a bull elephant in rut and as long as his show is a success and sticks it in that squinty eyed bastard Douchborough, I'm a fan.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 8:38 PM

This morning Dylan had Stephen A. Smith on to talk about the domestic auto industry. Normally Smith is a sportswriter who covers the NBA. I don't know why they picked him to discuss domestic economic policy (missed the first part of the segment), but that blew a huge hole in any credibility the show had from me.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2009 @ 10:43 AM

Oddly this has become my slow morning refuge. Dylan is still a little twitchy. But I like his dynamic over all. Contessa I can do without. She might be light years better than Mika or some of the others, but I still find her spacey and too often locked on a soundbite she practiced in her head for several minutes but belongs to a topic long gone by the time it makes it past her lips.

Toure? Single named douchey smug entertainment news type. He can go out and find himself a last name and take his time. Eliott Spitzer I actually like. I know I shouldn't. I know it. But I like his take as he simplifies without being simple and he delivers some relaly great insight that isn't quite as invested as the rest of the politicians that are on for obvious reasons.

I love Dylan's rapport with Jonathan. Not sure how often he is on but he has been on when I've tuned in and I've really appreciated how the two play off each other. Unlike the barely if ever veiled contempt that Douchborough sends his way. I'd like to see Dylan and Melissa Harris-Lacewell together as I think they would make a good mix.

Overall, I would love to see this take over from Morning Joe. Dylan's break down of numbers on health care and the focus on what the investments in terms of the health industries to come up with a plan has been so illuminating compared to the vague knee-jerk fear mongering that is Morning Joe and even Hardball sometimes. If I have to listen with the volume turned down a little (and overall I kind of find that metro brashness attractive, I'll admit, compared to self-entitled smirking and posturing) I think it more than a fair exchange for actual debate and discussion rooted in facts.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2009 @ 10:59 AM

I'm glad to see someone else is watching this, heebiejeebie! Dylan's show is so much, much better than MJ that it saddens me there are only 9 (now 10) posts in this thread.

His regulars are an interesting mix, and for the most part he treats them with courtesy. I must have missed him with women other than Contessa (who he seems to think is an idiot, unlike me), and I'd like to see more women in the mix (for example, this morning's discussion of which movie they wanted to see this weekend--juvenile comedy, war, or murderous orphan--seemed begging for a different point of view/taste.

Eliott Spitzer I actually like. I know I shouldn't. I know it. But I like his take as he simplifies without being simple and he delivers some relaly great insight that isn't quite as invested as the rest of the politicians that are on for obvious reasons.

I actually appreciate the return and rehabilitation of Eliot Spitzer on this show. I feel uncomfortable seeing him--at first--then remember his strengths (which are more relevant to my life than his mistakes while governor) and really welcome listening to what he has to say about the financial instituions.

I wish Dylan--Eliot--or someone--would ask, "They say we still haven't bought up even one toxic asset from the banks. If so .... what did Bernanke secretly give them $14 TRILLION for last fall? (Illustrated by Dylan as a garbage bag, ha)--and no strings attached. And, even more to the point....why did Paulson get Congress to give them $750 BILLION more so they could "free up credit" and start lending again? They couldn't start lending with a taxpayer GIFT of $15 Trillion dollars????"

I'd like to understand this better. If Dylan gets interested (as he seemed today)--and lets the guests really get into it for longer than 2 minutes--he could contribute a lot to "the conversation".

I wonder if he should gear this a bit more toward the West Coast, since it's perfect time for people getting ready for work out there (here).

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2009 @ 1:17 PM

ITA this show is so refreshing after Morning Joe, which I rarely watch anymore.
Love the panel, love the guests, Dylan's good (but what's with the crazy do?).
I too like Elliot Spitzer and after dreadful, embarassing, creepy Mark Sandford, I feel bad he resigned.

BuyMoreMakeup

BuyMoreMakeup

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2009 @ 7:11 PM

I'm waiting for Dylan to settle in to the show and quit rephrasing every question that he asks. He follows every initial question with "in other words..." It drives me crazy, but I'm hoping that it's a nervous tic, and he'll get over it once he realizes that he's doing it. I have hope for the show. I'm a big fan of Contessa Brewer. Is she the MSNBC anchor that complained about appearing with Imus and refused to continue the show with him? That may be how we were stuck with Mika. She had the foresight not to get sucked in with McSquintyeyes.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2009 @ 1:07 PM

I wish Dylan--Eliot--or someone--would ask, "They say we still haven't bought up even one toxic asset from the banks. If so .... what did Bernanke secretly give them $14 TRILLION for last fall? (Illustrated by Dylan as a garbage bag, ha)--and no strings attached. And, even more to the point....why did Paulson get Congress to give them $750 BILLION more so they could "free up credit" and start lending again? They couldn't start lending with a taxpayer GIFT of $15 Trillion dollars????"

I think he has. He had a great long segment focusing on the success of the Obama stimulus compared to the money throws of the Bush administration that may have actually made things worse and certainly may have helped some of the huge post-collapse insitutions pocket so many "bonuses" despite teetering on the edge and demanding (and getting help). Jonathan was on with him and so was an assistant former Treasury secretary from the Clinton administration.

I do love that Dylan, probably due to his background and career to date, seems to actaully get staggeringly huge amounts of money were thrown at friends and associates of the Bush Administration with little or no oversight whatsoever even as the rest of us where trying to avoid going down the drain. And I love that he keeps smacking down Republicans who whine about tax and spend Obama by bringing up the constant Bush over budget War funds that were squeezed out of Congress with a patriotic gun to their heads that exceed the true cost of what health care reform could initially cost (and unlike that war in Iraq, will save lives and actually end up paying for itself).

One thing that nnoys me with Dylan but I end up appreciating the end result is his tendency to cut people off. It is rude. But I also note that many times when he does it, he sends the issue to the person who is actually more in tune and knowledgeable than the one blathering (sorry Contessa and Toure, Spitzer can not only run circles around you on pretty much every topic but do so much more succinctly and informatively).

It is amazing to have a man who is smart (with flaws I admit) but seems to recognize immediately who in the current topic is the one who gets "it" the most and is more than willing to let them shine instead of squiting at them in surly douchebag envy and has to act like the playground bully to spite them.

If anything, I think Dylan with some honing over a little time could be a force to reckon with in terms of punditry just because he gets the money angle and also gets that certain topics are not "newsworthy" per ratings but are stories that need to be carried through (I plan on sticking to the constant updates on Insurance lobby dollars and where in Congress they go). In some ways combined with Spitzer and Capeheart he is more in line with being the true centrist to Rachel's left. I hope that nestles in Douchborough's gut and just twists and turns.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2009 @ 5:56 PM

"Smart" will go a long way in distinguishing him from the hosts right before him. (Could probably be an improvement over David Gregory with a little quick training). He also has some critical thinking skills and I love that he will change a strongly held opinion, right on the air, if he hears facts that make more sense and lead to a different conclusion. That's pretty unique in pundits.

And his panel and guests are refreshingly unpredictable, too. It actually -is- often like a genuine conversation (or "meeting") in that way--how unusual is that? So far, I find him very refreshing.

He had a great long segment focusing on the success of the Obama stimulus compared to the money throws of the Bush administration that may have actually made things worse

I've got to disagree with this, though. He didn't ask anything like the question I want someone to ask. Because, much as I love Obama, he's got the same--excuse me, CROOK/LIAR--in place with Bernanke that Bush had. And Geithner may be moer honest, but otherwise, his philosophy about financial institutions isn't vastly different from Paulson.

Bernanke has given away $14 TRILLION from the Fed (some or all may have even been during Obama's tenure) -- and another half Trillion to foreign banks-- and says he can't or won't account for any of it.

There should be a firestorm about this. TARP was $750 Billion (to the same people). This is $14 TRILLION. I can't understand why everyone---left, right, center--isn't crying for a Congressional investigation, followed by Bernanke's resignation (make him testify while he's still in the government), and an immediate audit of the Fed. This is what I'm hoping someone will ask Spitzer--or someone-- about. We've been robbed blind--for generations to come--and people need to find out where all the money went and how it all happened so it doesn't KEEP happening--or happen again.

Edited by Lisette, Jul 25, 2009 @ 6:04 PM.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 10:12 AM

This is the best least watched show on MSNBC. Morning Joe has become a ridiculous parody of itself with Mika being completely out of touch spouting silly opinions that the rest of the crew often laugh at.
Morning Metting has more quality content, fun repoire, a breakdown of complex issues and even the manic stream of consciouness of Ratigan himself has become addicting for me.
At first I was skeptical of them taking a guy who took off from CNBC and giving him 2 hours everyday but in the short time the show has been on I have grown very fond of and an avid watcher of Morning Meeting.
I'm sure the control room often cringes at somethings Dylan says but I have enjoyed every show I've seen.
I believe the buzz will shift from the 6-9 screwballs and move to Ratigan.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 12:36 PM

I agree, and although Dylan is a Wall Street guy that doesn't keep him from criticizing big business, unlike Erin Whatshername who seems to think being cheerleader for Wall Street is her job. I really like this show, and I wonder if one of the reasons MJ has sunk to a new low is because Dylan isn't there.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 5:19 PM

the short time the show has been on I have grown very fond of and an avid watcher of Morning Meeting.

Me, too. And I'm hoping that all this movement--Joe gone for days...Willie with his own show--bodes well for Morning Meeting. I hope it grabs the final hour of MJ's time slot and MJ rides off into the sunset.

Dylan & Co are smart. They listen. They think. They're even kind of goofy and unpredictable and not mean. There are different viewpoints and its not all "right!" "left!" stuff. I don't think I will ever see Pat Buchanan on this show.

I'm looking forward to some future interview with Dylan and Michael Moore when MM discusses his new movie, "Capitalism: A Love Story" about the bank meltdown.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 6:53 PM

The July Ratings just came out and Morning Meeting is down 14% over MSNBC Live during the same time block last year. I hope that as viewers start giving Dylan and Co. a chance they will realize that they are a vast improvement over 2 hrs of the same topics being repeated, same clips being played and the same tiring pundits spouting the same old line over and over.
I have as much fun watching MM as it seems they are having doing it. And I disagree with those who want to dump Contessa from the crew. I think this is the best venue she has had yet. Just try to watch her crank through an hour with Melissa Francis in the afternoon (which I can't believe they are still doing occassionally) and you'll see that it's Francis who drags down the broadcast.

And on a side note did anyone catch the morning when the insects were crawling on the roof camera that projects the skyline backdrop behind Dylan ? His reaction to the "giant bugs" was classic.

Keith and Rachel come first but for a loose , fun, lively 2 hrs of informative cable news; Morning Meeting is my new favorite.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

Is it possible that all shows are down right now because the election is over? There was some discussion in Rachel's thread that it's why her show is down in the ratings.

Alias Fanatic

Alias Fanatic

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2009 @ 9:29 PM

Last year at this same time, we were guessing who the VP candidates were going to be and the conventions were a couple of weeks away. I can't imagine being down 14% from all that excitement is too bad.

Edited by Alias Fanatic, Jul 28, 2009 @ 9:30 PM.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 10:10 AM

Very good points regarding last year's intense interest at this same time. Dylan has only been on a month as of today; down 14% not bad at all indeed. I would rather see month to month ratings instead but finding dayside ratings aren't as easy as primetime.

kelkon

kelkon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 10:17 AM

Caught some of the health care reform discussion this morning, and was generally impressed that DR seemed to hold his own. Liked that he was calling out the OK rep on the fact any bipartisanship on the bill is really designed to help protect the private insurers.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 10:37 AM

I have a feeling we'll see clips of Dylan playing with the dolls on The Daily Show/ Colbert. THat's not a bad thing.

NextIteration

NextIteration

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 11:22 AM

I'm finding myself keeping this on in the background most mornings. Dylan is loud and blurty but I'm used to that in a household filled to the brim with folks afflicted with ADD.

Found Arianna's responses about vaccines this morning predictable, lord knows that HuffPo is an oddly progressive bastion of pseudoscience and woo-quackery. Not sure why she didn't blurt out "vaccines cause autism!!!!1!!!!1!!!" with all her veiled remarks about "side effects" from vaccines; I was hoping that Snyderman would knock her upside the head and knock some sense into her. I always find it jarring when Huffington (and Maher for that matter) step into the woo-quackery zone.

Edited by NextIteration, Jul 29, 2009 @ 11:39 AM.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2009 @ 1:33 PM

Caught some of the health care reform discussion this morning, and was generally impressed that DR seemed to hold his own. Liked that he was calling out the OK rep on the fact any bipartisanship on the bill is really designed to help protect the private insurers.

This and the fact that he hammers home the concept that what we pay into the system, we are clearly not getting back out. Which not only undermines much of the fearmongering of "socialism" and big government control, but also puts more pressure on any opposition who comes on the show to do more than prate about plans that include tax cuts and credits as a means of fixing the system that does not work. There are plenty of others who can crusade better for the common man. I like that Dylan and SPitzer both focus more on why for the already haves, a change is for the better. Because so far I have little from the people pushing for the status quo elsewhere other than doing nothing but sitting back in smug entitlement because they clearly are already covered, so therefore what is the problem. Or the rush.

Dylan brings a level of capitalistic pragmatism that opponents to health care reform really have a hard time addressing. Dylan clearly has no problem with a health care and insurance industry that makes healthy profits. But he also refuses to buy that in any way, the system works. Even as a fair market business paradigm in which a sucker is born every minute. He knows that if these companies wanted to they could still make a tremendous profit and deliver what they claim they already do. And since they don't they are essentially cheating the consumer in a way that a flawed system allows to the detriment of all. Since money is at the root of this I'm glad that Dylan has been steadily focusing on who is already making and using that money in the failed system we are currently stuck with. I wonder if the OK rep had seen any of the show yet and realized Dylan has already been keeping a close eye on health care lobby dollars and where they are going?

When I said that Contessa could go, I in no way meant that Courtney Hazlett could show up. Make the scary dumbass go away Dylan. Make her go away.

BuyMoreMakeup

BuyMoreMakeup

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 6, 2009 @ 8:45 AM

Morning Meeting Masterpiece Theater. Brilliant!! It's exactly what I needed to calm down after the 10 sec. I was able to handle of Joe before I had to hit ff.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2009 @ 10:52 AM

Compliments to Margaret Capehart (Jonathan's mother). After she emailed her son about the rude candid clip showing him stuffing a bagel into his mouth at the break, Dylan said he'd talk with her on-air.

He tried name-dropping (Maria Bartiromo, showing the Hillary Clinton interview)....charming (the CNBC candid clip of HIM making faces)...fake bon homme....and she patiently outwaited it all, only to take him to the wood shed ("My son is not a clown! Do you have candid cameras in the restrooms?" Ouch!) Dylan kind of backed down--then blamed the director (who looks about as old as a hs intern).

Anyway, I felt bad for Jonathan (reminded me of a ST:Voyager moment, for any fans), but Mrs. Capehart was kind of awesome.

And, yes, the "bagel" was really trivial considering what the show's subjects are but it also underscores the only thing I really don't like about MM--the lack of women. (Contessa's actually pretty good--quick and assertive--she even objected at the time to the bagel-thing--but she doesn't get much to do.)

Today's snickering over Bill C. bringing back the two (female) journalists (Snickering about inappropriate sex? With Eliot sitting there? Are you kidding?)...the idea that journalists freelance in danger zones for a hot-shot "adrenalin rush" instead of for a story....practical "jokes" like the embarrassing bagel thing...generalizing about "nerds" when talking about that shooter in PA....gives MM a kind of frat boy "boys will be boys" ...."We're the cool kids" feeling that isn't as smart as the rest of it.

SOME of that would be okay, because they have good chemistry, are smart, sometimes its funny and spontaneous, and Dylan doesn't bully everyone into agreeing with him. But...more women's input would be very very welcome. It shouldn't just be a token, especially following MJ, which is more of the same (only 10 shades of dumber).

chuckmi

chuckmi

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2009 @ 11:17 AM

I don't know what would be more embarrassing - eating a bagel on camera or having my mommy come to my defense?

Sounds like someone's mother needs to take remove that giant stick she has placed up her ass.

Edited by chuckmi, Aug 6, 2009 @ 11:18 AM.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2009 @ 11:28 AM

Was anyone watching this morning when Dylan kicked off the show by saying they were going to talk through the case of the guy who had lots of trouble with women and then went berserk and killed a bunch of people?

He immediately introduces his panel 'joining us to discuss that this morning Elliot Spitzer'...uuum awkward.