2-3: "Scratches" 2009.06.28 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

349 replies to this topic

Dedra

Dedra

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2009 @ 10:52 PM

Sam's a very integrated part of this small town and he has a huge secret. Plus, if he's exposed, it also exposes a whole new breed of mythological critters, the shifters and the weres. So, it's not just his secret...it's the secret of a supernatural community. That's pretty weighty stuff and makes him very vulnerable.

I think MaryAnn banks on Sam wanting to keep his secret a secret as long as possible which is why she slinks around and smirks and threatens the way she does. The day he says "screw it, I don't care who knows" and proves it is the day she will have to shut up or expose herself. Community wise I'm sure it's easier to hide as a shifter than a vampire, those who are shifters can just deny it, make it like Sam is the only one of his kind. Heh.

Now I'm wondering about Eric's intentions with Lafayette, I don't know if it's sexual or if he just wants to keep him on his scared toes, like you're gonna be my bitch and if not you'll end up back on the wheel, something like that. But I don't care, I always look forward to more Eric. Yum and Yum. And I want to know MaryAnn's intentions with Tara, I'm glad Tara ran for the hills, that party was scary.

Edited by Dedra, Jul 9, 2009 @ 10:53 PM.

iliveTV

iliveTV

Fanatic

• Interests:Tv, movies, kids...you know stuff.

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 2:26 PM

It's a bit more flexible. Eric obviously didn't know Bill and Sookie would basically fall into his lap, but since the opportunity was there, he seized it

That is why Eric is so awesome, he's stategic. They showed up and he formulated a plan to get what he wanted.

Maryann did say "I can do that anytime I want.", after she changed Sam. So I think it's pretty safe to say she did it.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 3:48 PM

Did we ever find out how old Hoyt is? Sookie is 25, and Jason is her younger brother, right? And they both treat Hoyt like he's younger. He could be only 20-22 for all we know. Probably not as young as 19. But very early twenties is not such a big age difference from 17.

Another thing that makes me find the Hoyt/Jessica 'ship even is that she could eat him for breakfast. Maybe lunch. Most probably dinner. She's not doing that now, but she could. She is the more powerful one in most ways. Hoyt is only slightly older and more worldly. And that's only very slightly. Not really enough to get the upper-hand with Jessica.

In a way, Bill/Sookie is more questionable (not that I really have a problem with them), especially when he treats her like a little kid (and she would be like a little kid to him considering how old he is). I don't see Hoyt treating Jessica like a child or belittling her in any way ever. Not unless he wants to die. Hee.

Iím really disappointed in Samís reaction to Tara being in danger. If it was Sookie in that situation I know he would do more. I donít understand why he couldnít warn Tara Ė unless he thinks she will snap and get them both in trouble? Iím going to fanwank that he just majorly confused and helpless and doesnít know what to do.

Didn't Sam warn Tara?

Sam: If I were you, I'd stay the hell away from her.
Tara: You don't even know this person!
Sam: Neither do you!
Tara: (scoffs but looks thoughtful)

I think that already did the trick because despite Maryann trying to convince her that Sam's only an "unevolved" guy who's bitter because he lost Tara, his warning might be making her keep her eyes open to things that don't seem quite right. Hey, last we saw her, Tara left Maryann's crazy pool party, and she's probably off to pack up and go to Sookie's house.

When Eric was all "I don't respond to threats", I had a little flashback to Gladys the DMV demon on Reaper: "I don't respond to threats. I do, however, take bribes."

annsterg

annsterg

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 3:55 PM

Did we ever find out how old Hoyt is? Sookie is 25, and Jason is her younger brother, right? And they both treat Hoyt like he's younger. He could be only 20-22 for all we know. Probably not as young as 19. But very early twenties is not such a big age difference from 17.

Nope, Jason is Sookie's older brother, by I think 2 years -- he is supposed to be 27 at the beginning of the series.

glyssix

glyssix

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 3:56 PM

I believe Jason is her older brother, and Hoyt was one of his classmates. But I still don't have a huge issue with the age thing, as it appears that they're pretty much on the same plane mentally.

shellyac

shellyac

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 4:33 PM

Also Hoyt would have to be at least 21 with all of the beer that he's been seen drinking

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 9:27 PM

I believe Jason is her older brother, and Hoyt was one of his classmates. But I still don't have a huge issue with the age thing, as it appears that they're pretty much on the same plane mentally.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I would not have guessed Jason is older. But yeah, still don't have a problem with it because they're at about the same mental level. Also she is definitely physically stronger since she's vampire. Any "advantage" Hoyt has from being "older" is more than cancelled out by that.

Also Hoyt would have to be at least 21 with all of the beer that he's been seen drinking

Ha, right, I forget about that with all the underage drinking I see on TV all the time.

jenrising

jenrising

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 10:06 PM

his warning might be making her keep her eyes open to things that don't seem quite right. Hey, last we saw her, Tara left Maryann's crazy pool party, and she's probably off to pack up and go to Sookie's house.

I agree. Of course, it would help if he could tell Tara the truth, but he doesn't think he can. Which considering how Sookie reacted at first is understandable (not that she wasn't entitled).

But I bet Tara would be understanding. I mean, she didn't really mind the sleep barking.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2009 @ 10:07 AM

I wonder if Daphne is some sort of hunter (looking for revenge) or if she is one of Maryanne's minions (the scratches don't kill you but put you under Maryanne's control)?

Either way I hope she's not faking her accent, because then that will be a running joke for the entire series. Like at least one "new" character is faking their southern accent (as a wink to the audience since they are all faking their accents).

I wasn't entirely engaged by this ep. and I'm not sure why.

Found Jess/Hoyt cute. Loved Eric and Ginger. Liked Jason being dumber then a box of hair.

As for the age difference b/t Hoyt/Jessica. Doesn't really matter. They are indeed one the same level mentally. And in age difference relationships that is the thing that matters. That is because the older one might try to use their "power" to belittle and control the younger. Hoyt would never do that, plus Jessica isn't giving up her new found freedom with out a heck of a fight. She certainly didn't put up with her daddy's crap for a second.

thellou

thellou

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2009 @ 1:21 PM

If Jessica were human I might have a problem with the age difference between her and Hoyt. Well, not so much the difference but the fact that she is just 17. YIKES!

Jason is Sookie's older brother. I'm pretty sure Alan Ball mentioned Jason being 28 in that first season recap show. And since he and Hoyt went to school together, I assume Hoyt is around the same age. But he's so sweet and obviously not all that experienced, I don't mind that he's 11 or so years older.

Kentuckyana

Kentuckyana

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

As for the identity of the pig - if it's not her butler/servant since he and the pig have been in the same scene

Has the pig ever been in the same scene with Daphne? I always thought she was some kind of animal forced into human shape by Maryann in order to have a spy in Sam's bar.

Edited by Kentuckyana, Jul 12, 2009 @ 12:00 AM.

Scrapper

Scrapper

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 6:32 AM

I think the pig is just her pet. I could be wrong, of course.

After reading the recap, I wonder if Sarah's story was true. The vamps have been out for 4 years in the show? If so then I guess both Sarah's story and the FOTS website info could be true.

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 6:44 AM

The vamps have been out for 4 years in the show?

2 years.

Aretha1

Aretha1

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 4:38 PM

Just finished rewatching 2.3 Scratches. Wasn't Tara's bedroom at MaryAnne's on the ground floor, and didn't her
room open to a breakfast patio? Yet after she vacates the hot tub and heads inside, presumably to change, she
heads up the stairs. Hmmmm..... Wonder if it's just a continutity error or there's something else going on.

DaMare

DaMare

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 5:01 PM

Just finished rewatching 2.3 Scratches

As did I and I was struck by A Skars...as I so often am. Watching the scene at Fagtasia when Eric enters the room, wearing the track suit and flip-flops....it killed me He managed to both saunter and prowl in those damn flipflops!

And I was so sad - realizing that I am going to have to go my whole life without ever being winked at by Alexander Skarsgard.

So sad!

Edited by DaMare, Jul 12, 2009 @ 5:05 PM.

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

And I was so sad - realizing that I am going to have to go my whole life without ever being winked at by Alexander Skarsgard.

Nice to know I'm not the only one rewinding and rewatching that part.

Mophead

Mophead

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 7:44 PM

I forgot to mention, how nerdy/cool is it that Bill got a Wii for himself? I wish we had seen him play it.

Last season we saw Bill Wii golfing.

killy

killy

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 1:03 PM

I have to say watching these episodes, Sookie is stupid i.e. letting/hinting people/strangers that she can read thoughts & going on walking at night in the middle of the woods after all the weird stuffs been going on ... and killing!

ETA :
The many lines I love have all been posted here. Here's another one I like,

Eric "She is extremely lazy ... but loyal"
It was right after Pam puffed her way out off the office to go to the woods as he asked for, in light objection.

When the short 'doctor' told Bill that he can give her his blood by offering his blood,
Eric came up and said "Mine is much stronger, allow me"
Bill " Never"

Eric chuckled ... he can be such a tease! Love this 'sheriff'!

Terry, does he know 'stuff'?

Tara Blue
What did it say at the bottom of Sookie's red "Fangtasia" t-shirt she had on after she woke up at the bar? "Life begins here?" Did anyone notice?

It's "Life begins at night"

Insomnia
Completely random and out of the blue, but the way Andy greeted the pig not sure if it was his tone of voice or what but I completely expected him to follow up with "You're some pig!"

If that's the same pig Tara tried to avoid that night she got locked up, there sure was a difference in size. The pig that night standing with Maryanne was much bigger than the one Andy saw in that little pig 'house'. It looked like the same color of pig though.

Telling the highly charismatic sheriff (Eric) that she's going to the police in his own dig? Sookie = stupid.

Watching how Sookie demanded from Eric for her task in Dallas ( the 5000 ++ ) and slapping him reminds me how she a 25 yr old girl is a naivete of a 19 yr old girl who's very much sheltered much of her life but has a slight spunk. Hence, Sookie reminds me of those Judith McNaught girls in her novels, slightly stupid and self centered but some how the men in the book are obviously mesmerized by her being 'different, the girl in Pride & Prejudice is smarter and wittier.
This revelation still does not reduce my annoyance of her stupidity.

Despite my slight annoyance, I've enjoyed this ep immensely. Awesome! So many great lines!

Edited by killy, Jul 16, 2009 @ 6:47 AM.

iliveTV

iliveTV

Fanatic

• Interests:Tv, movies, kids...you know stuff.

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 8:08 PM

Not only that, the first pig was much more warthog-ish. It had all kinds of hair sticking out of it's face and was much wilder looking. Plus the size difference, which was alot. I think the lady just likes pigs.

Edited by iliveTV, Jul 15, 2009 @ 8:09 PM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 9:37 AM

This show is probably the craziest things on TV that doesn't make you want to give every damn character a smackdown or three. Take notes Nip/Tuck.

Bill is scary when angry and he was certainly furious with Sookie and Jessica at the start. Though it was stupid for Sookie to get out of the car in the middle of the night, I suppose it was her way of letting Bill know she wouldn't be intimidated by him.

What the hell was that thing that attacked Sookie? It had to be have been connected to Maryann and Daphne also had the same scratches at the end of the episode.

Ludwig was an interesting doctor. Much as I like Eric, I do enjoy watching other characters snark at him with certain ease. I guess other beings don't see vampires as the big I am so to speak.

Bill and Eric's back and forth over Sookie is amusing, though it's reminiscent of Angel/Buffy/Spike to a certain degree. Not sure who I would root for. We know Bill more than Eric I guess.

Sookie was brilliant with the Lafayette situation. I loved her ripping Eric a new one, even if it meant that she got roped into the whole Dallas thing.

Poor Lafayette. He really was shook up when he went home by himself. Too bad him and Pam might not have any more scenes together for a while.

Jessica and Hoyt, love, love, love this idea. Hoyt is so ridiculously sweet I can understand why Jessica would want to lose herself to him. How does someone that nice stay single for so long? Hope Bill doesn't stick his oar in too much over that one.

Sam, if you're going to warn Tara off Maryann, try and find something damning before shooting your mouth off. That way you don't come across as an angry jerk. I'm guessing he won't be skipping town, even though it looked like he was set on doing it.

Every episode seems to throw another reason why Tara and Eggs might not be a good couple. Here the sex party at Maryann's was another. Is Tara beginning to realise that something's not right with Maryann? Nah, too early in the season for that.

Jason and the Newlins. Man that dynamic is even more creepy than anything with Maryann. Look Jason, both Sarah and Steve are deranged fanatics so flipping get away from them as fast as you can.

Loved the Eddie appearance as well. Surprised we didn't get Amy for some reason, 9/10.