On Demand Episodes — If You Watch Early, Post Here (Spoilers Abound)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

149 replies to this topic

PinkShoeAddict

PinkShoeAddict

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 5:13 PM

It's not all that surprising to me that people don't know about Jackie's home life. We've seen her working every shift imaginable, and I'd guess that would make it easy to avoid going out with someone after work. It seems like if she goes out for lunch, it's only with Eleanor. It's also a field where leaving the wedding ring at home is probably fairly common, so someone like Eddie shouldn't assume anything based on the lack of a ring.

I don't have the problem with the alleged age difference either. We've seen that she smokes quite a bit, and some people do show their age faster than others. I'm in my 30s and still don't get asked if I want a drink even if I'm with others ordering drinks. My dad always looked young as well.

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 7:26 PM

Yes, Jackie does look pretty old. It is amazing how much younger Falco looks on the Sopranos with longer hair, a better wardrobe, and some makeup. When I watch reruns now, she seems like a different person.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 7:29 PM

I fully acknowledge that different people age differently and a number of factors (genes and environment) are in play. I'm saying for an *actress* (with most of them being botoxed and whatever all to hell these days) she looks about 50. It's just presenting a suspension of disbelief issue for me (which is obviously a personal problem), there is no disrespect or ageism intended towards the actress. I just question some of the other casting choices.

Lilybart27

Lilybart27

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 8:46 PM

I'm very disappointed with the revelation that Jackie met her husband in high school. It feels cliched to me, and because they don't look the same age, unbelievable. I was hoping the age difference thing would even get acknowledged in some sort of backstory, but no. That said, I love it that they have these young "hot" men falling for Jackie. I don't find it hard to believe at all, and if only they would do this kind of thing on other shows, it wouldn't seem so freakish to people. As my husband pointed out to me, no one blinks an eye when young attractive female characters fall all over, say, 50-something Bill Paxton on Big Love (YMMV, but in my opinion, he's no adonis).

yb125

yb125

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 17, 2009 @ 8:52 PM

It's not all that surprising to me that people don't know about Jackie's home life. We've seen her working every shift imaginable, and I'd guess that would make it easy to avoid going out with someone after work. It seems like if she goes out for lunch, it's only with Eleanor. It's also a field where leaving the wedding ring at home is probably fairly common, so someone like Eddie shouldn't assume anything based on the lack of a ring.

Except she had two kids while working at this place yet no one noticed she was pregnant? Twice? She has never in over 10 years mentioned her husband or kids? Even in passing? It just seems silly to me.

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 18, 2009 @ 5:35 AM

Wow, just saw the final epi of the season. I was on the edge of my seat the last 5 minutes. It's going to be excrutiating waiting to see what's gonna happen to Jackie.

Don't understand how O'Hara could have her mother shipped to America while in a coma?

Wonder who Eddie will tell?

ShelleySue

ShelleySue

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2009 @ 9:30 AM

Don't understand how O'Hara could have her mother shipped to America while in a coma?

You can do just about anything when you have money.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2009 @ 1:18 PM

I have said it before ,that not knowing Jackie has a family while working in a hospital is just not fesible. I have worked the p.m. shift and we often went out (sometimes a doctor would join us) for drinks after work. When you get off at 11:30 it is hard to wind down. I like Eddie but she just is not someone that Coop would be attracted to. She is butch looking and acting. She does not send off sexual vibes despite the " bad back " screwing on the medication cart.
When someone makes out the schedule you often need to switch days for events in your life. Hard to believe that the husband always took kids to doctors appointments and teacher conferences etc.
I thought for sure Edie was going to tell Kevin!!! Some one in a coma traveling by plane woud have a nurse and records with them.

Edited by athousandclowns, Aug 18, 2009 @ 8:42 PM.

lincoln84

lincoln84

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 18, 2009 @ 8:21 PM

I was really surprised about OHara flying her mother from London--I now wonder if the stepfather didn't do something to induce that coma? OHara almost seemed flippant about it when her and Jackie were shopping so I'm dismissing that notion for now. I didn't think Eddie was going to say something to Kevin; he did exactly what I thought he would---get drunk. Zoey was great again...she has been the scene stealer all year long.

I wish OHara got more storyline this season...I am anxious to see where her character goes now that she has shown so much vulnerablity in recent episodes. Eve Best is fantastc.

Its going to be a long wait...

ShelleySue

ShelleySue

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2009 @ 8:52 PM

You can do just about anything when you have money.

I'm rethining my response to Joan Van Snark. Even with money, I'm pretty positive ICE wouldn't let someone enter the country without a passport. I'm not sure what they do with people with medical emergencies (i.e. coma) -- they couldn't lock her up or anything. Hmmmmm . . .

I'm not that up on drugs so I have a few questions. If it was easy to drink opiates why do addicts go through all of the trouble of shooting up? Is morphine that different from heroin?

Does anyone wonder if Jackie was trying to (maybe subconsciously) commit suicide?

edited to add: I liked how the last scene was almost exactly like the first scene of the first episode. Nice touch.

Edited by ShelleySue, Aug 18, 2009 @ 9:01 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 7:30 AM

Was the morphine Jackie drank supposed to be administered via IV? The only time I've ever seen liquid morphine being drunk was by Dennis Potter during a televised interview. He had it in a flask & was dying from cancer & needed it to keep the pain at bay. His interview was fully coherent & he wasn't experiencing any hallucinations as far as I could tell.

Edited by braggtastic, Aug 19, 2009 @ 7:30 AM.

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 8:42 AM

I've never drank injectable morphine, but I'm almost positive that there is barely a 20% absorption rate when administered by mouth versus the nearly 100% absorption rate attainable via injection. Obviously this scene was presented as such for dramatic flair, but Jackie would have probably felt little to nothing from drinking that morphines sulphate, and it would have taken at least 30 minutes to start to take effect--no way would it have hit her that fast. Also, Jackie seems to be unfazed by crushed 80mg OxyContin and Percocet. She has been taking a good amount of drugs for quite some time. She has built up quite a tolerance by this point. People who have been taking opiates for any length of time become quite adapted, and unless taking huge doses, most are energized by the drugs, and are certainly not nodding off all the time. It is highly doubtful she would pass out like that and start seeing hallucinations. Opiates really don't usually cause hallucinations anyway.

Unfortunately, I know most of this through personal experiences with opiate addiction. It isn't fun---I know how it feels to need that drug and the sense of impending doom that builds when you don't know where you are going to get it. At that point for addicts, they really aren't even worried about getting "high" anymore, they just want to avoid the withdrawals and feel normal.

Anyway, I was kinda disappointed in the resolution of the Nutterman situation. Zoey seemed to be in for a lot of trouble the end of epi 11, but the whole situation was turned into a discussion of gray scrubs vs bunny scrubs, and Zoey seemed to suffer no ill consequences. It just seems like the writers are afraid to follow through all the way with their plots. I think the 30 minute format is the main culprit. I think extending the show to even 40 or 45 minutes would really give the writers more time to develop stories. Really, twelve 28 minute episodes isn't much of a season. You could watch the entire season in 1/4 of a day! As Akalitus would say, "Not Acceptable!"

Still in all, I really like the show and can't wait until next season!

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 12:49 PM

HooBoy...that was a ride! I am glad Eddie didn't tell Kevin, although I was on the edge of my seat every time he took a drink. I wonder what Jackie was thinking...does she think Eddie DID tell? Is she thinking her husband is probably packing up her crap right now? Damn, I cannot wait for next season!

I just love Zoey and her gray scrubs of guilt. I wish Nutterman had woken up a little earlier in the episode though...I want to see where they will take that story line. Zoey, Mo-Mo and Thor are terrific together...more please!

I know Jackie was going through her own private hell there at the end, but I was pissed that she ran out on O'Hara. It broke my heart seeing her break down as she stood over her mother. Jack should have been there. Of course, O'Hara is going to forgive her when she finds out what happen, but it still made me mad.

Edited by ladyrott, Aug 19, 2009 @ 12:54 PM.

thispooiscold

thispooiscold

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 2:16 PM

This episode was a big disappointment to me after such a great first season. There was just not enough payoff. And I don't understand why Jackie would drink morphine. That's so stupid. You'd think that someone who was a drug addict and a nurse would know how pointless that was.

So much of the episode once again felt like filler or an afterthought. I wanted more out of the Eddie situation. I wanted more out of OHara. I just was expecting something else, I guess.

PinkShoeAddict

PinkShoeAddict

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 2:51 PM

I still don't get why Jackie chose the morphine instead of her usual choices. It seemed clear that the unplug memory erase feature was not working and she was going to get caught regardless. Why not get out a lot of what she actually wanted instead of the morphine?

Lynn44

Lynn44

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2009 @ 3:16 PM

My thoughts exactly, she knows her drug of choice and had the perfect opportunity to get it just as easily.

I was really surprised that she let O'Hara down that way. I'm just as stumped as others as to how a person just, "up and has a person in a coma flown away", and to another country at that.

Surely the wicked step-father will be surprised.

Edited to add :

Maybe she did it so her sister can visit with her mother...???

Edited by Lynn44, Aug 19, 2009 @ 3:38 PM.

antmoose

antmoose

Couch Potato

• Interests:Reading, writing, no 'rithmetic. Exile from the North American zeitgeist but with my nose pressed right up against the glass, which is probably that annoying smear on your computer screen that you can't get rid of, no matter what spray you use.

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 4:42 AM

It seems to me like everything Jackie is doing is either preparing for suicide or apologising for preparing for suicide. She's breaking serious rules at the hospital, she's not doing anything about her drug problem or about its underlying causes, she's behaving irresponsibly with Eddie and her husband, and is not addressing her daughter's increasing discomfort. She's not being a good friend to O'Hara. Plus, she's lying to everyone all the time. She has to know that even though she works in an emergency ward, she can't live her life finding short-cut solutions. It all looks like it's about to come crashing down on her. I didn't think she was going to kill herself with those vials of medicine (morphine? Really? You guys must have better eyes than I do), but there's nothing constructive in her life at all. For someone so universally revered as a caring person, she's amazingly destructive and dishonest. That I care for her and worry about her is a tribute to the show's writing.

Jacob

Jacob

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 5:43 AM

I agree. I think she jumps to suicide the second Eddie whispers her secret to her, inspired in part by the Paula stuff in "Tiny Bubbles." Paula was imprisoned by her terminal illness, while Jackie (high and generally a mess) feels imprisoned when he brings the two worlds together. She doesn't even call Kevin to find out what he knows: just goes straight to the Pillomatic, not caring if it registers her name, takes out a comparable dosage, and follows Paula down the rabbit hole. And given the way the season started -- with the same dreamlike, perfected image -- we could say that the whole season has been leading to her suicide attempt all along. (And in only twelve weeks! Took Morpheus six or seven years!)

PinkShoeAddict

PinkShoeAddict

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 7:51 AM

It never occurred to me that Jackie might be suicidal. To me, it just seems like her behavior is classic addict behavior where she loses control and is no longer rational with respect to pretty much anything. If anything, many people who commit suicide tend to appear more in control and happy at the end because they're at peace with the fact that they're going to be ending it soon.

sighle

sighle

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 8:06 AM

Several people have mentioned the problem with bringing a comatose patient to another country. This didn't bother me because I recalled Liam Neeson bringing Natasha Richardson back to the US after her tragic fall. A different situation entirely--I believe they drove and it was her country of residence, but it made the situation with O'Hara's mother believable for me.

Mo-Mo, Thor and Zoey need their own spin-off. And I usually hate the concept of spin-offs!

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 9:01 AM

I really like this show and love some of the characters. Zoey, Thor, O'Hara, and Akilitus are my favorites. I love Edie Falco and I don't hate Jackie, but I hope her character is softened just a tad next season (and I hope she grows some hair!!). I think the show has so much potential, but I'm not sure if the writers really know how to follow through with a story. It seems like they develop some great ideas, but the execution is lacking. There seems to be no real consequences to the characters' actions: is the illegal donor story going to be dropped?; will Zoey face any long-term consequences from OD'ing Nutterman?; what happened to the investigation about the severed ear?; why in the world is Jackie hiding the existence of her family from everyone but O'Hara? You could say she's doing so to keep Eddie in the dark, but they've mentioned that Jackie has been working at All Saints for 15 years and she didn't start sleeping with Eddie until a year ago, so that doesn't make sense. I don't know how any mother or married woman could go 15 years without mentioning anything about her family in that length of time. It just doesn't make sense.

I don't know the track record for the showrunners, but I think the show would be vastly improved if they brought on a writer that is good with plotting.

All in all, there's a ton of potential and some great characters. I hope things keep going in the right direction.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 11:52 AM

EF has been on multiple talkshows promoting Nurse Jackie, and her hair is quite a bit longer.

threeshakes

threeshakes

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

Does Jackie really have deep feelings for Eddie, or is she just using him as a pill supplier? I thought it was mostly a utilitarian relationship, but after the last episodes, I am not as sure. Does he know she is an addict and uses that to keep her attached to him? I don't know how to answer these questions; that seems strange after an entire season has aired.

The hiding of the family doesn't make sense because everyone lives in the same town. People run into each other.

Edited by threeshakes, Aug 20, 2009 @ 12:41 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 3:20 PM

That town is New York City, population in the millions. I don't know where Eddie lives, but Jackie lives in Queens, quite a way from the hospital. True he followed her home, but aside from that it would be a huge coincidence to run into someone you know. I've lived here close to 20 years & I think I've unintentionally run into someone I know who lives in a different neighborhood half a dozen times at the most. If I limit it to co-workers, it's happened once.

lincoln84

lincoln84

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 8:53 PM

I don't think Jackie was suicidal--I think she reacted to a crisis the way she always does--with drugs. She wanted to numb herself from feeling anything and I guess the morphine does that. I think its quite possible that that she chose morphine because she had an easy explaination for it---OHara's mother. Remember when she looked in exam rooms on her way to the machine? Maybe she was looking to see who was in there and figuring out how much she could take and account for with who was admitted. She could easily get OHara to sign off on something or even include it in their "dummy" paperwork they had for her mother.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 11:12 PM

I think if Jackie was suicidal she would have injected the drugs, not drank them. I think she panicked, she saw her life falling apart around her and went to the thing that always makes her feel better, drugs. At that moment I think she was so freaked out about Eddie and everything she wasn't thinking straight and wasn't thinking about getting caught.
I liked this show, will watch a 2nd season for sure.

uranushertz

uranushertz

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 22, 2009 @ 8:50 PM

I'm looking forward to the second season, but I hope it remains "Nurse Jackie" and not Rehab Jackie and her Broken Home.

Charlie McGee

Charlie McGee

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 8:21 AM

I think her intent was self-destruction and if she died in the process, she'd consider it win-win. For the average viewer with little medical knowledge, it looks like drinking vials of morphine would be suicidal, and I think that was the writers' intent. There'd be no point in logging in as yourself and stealing 150 oxycontin to die; you'd just go for the fastest most potent thing available. I mean, at this point, she's going to get found, probably hospitalized, lose some sort of privileges if not her license altogether. And she knew that at the point that she decided to log in as herself. With Jackie, there's not much of a line between actively suicidal (with the plan et al) and being self-destructive to the point of death.

lincoln84

lincoln84

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 23, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

I read on another thread from a medical professional that you don't get that high by ingesting IV meds...a fatal dose could be administered by needle but when you swallow them they aren't very potent because the acid in your stomach breaks down the narcotic or something. That may be why she took three--knowing that one would do nothing.

I am sure the writers are very aware of what her drug limitations are and so is Jackie.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2011 @ 11:42 AM

I was disappointed episode two was not available on demand this morning. I hope they're not going back to on demand the day after the first airing on Showtime.