On Demand Episodes — If You Watch Early, Post Here (Spoilers Abound)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

149 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2009 @ 1:31 PM

Please talk about any FUTURE episodes that are On Demand here. But once an episode has aired, please stop discussing it here. And DO NOT talk about the episodes while they're airing, here or anywhere else. Thanks.

And if you haven't seen it, as usual, don't ask questions about what happened. You can wait for the episode or the recap.

Edited by TWoP Mars, Jun 28, 2009 @ 1:31 PM.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

• Interests:Comedy, yoga, reading TWoP

Posted Jun 29, 2009 @ 1:06 AM

I just watched episode 5. Not my favorite, but still good.

When Mrs Acalidus accidentally tasers herself, it's kind of predictable, but it was kind of hilarious at the same time. There's also another great physical comedy moment when Zoey clotheslines a patient who is running around the desk area.

Jackie and Kevin's older daughter (Grace?) gets worse with her anxiety. It's a little sad to watch. The girls who play the daughters are so so cute.

I'm loving this show and my Zoey love grows every week

Edited by frostedglass, Jun 29, 2009 @ 1:09 AM.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2009 @ 1:21 PM

I felt like this episode was very, very slow-moving. I kept waiting for something to happen, and just about the only thing with any significance to the story arc was that Jackie appears to finally accepted that Grace needs help. Because learning that her daughter thinks that planes will fall out of the sky if she doesn't circle her desk three times wasn't enough of a wakeup call, apparently.

Crocodileguy1

Crocodileguy1

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2009 @ 6:39 PM

Loved O'Hara's "Make A Wish Foundation" reply to the questioning gaze of the other woman. Comedy gold.

Coop is so annoying...but if the preview was any indication, he may just get taken down a notch and lose the insincerety bit.

xmanson

xmanson

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2009 @ 8:48 PM

I think ep 5 was better than the previous one, but why did the student nurse go to dinner in her scrubs? It was obvious she would be embarassing herself. Maybe it's common practice there to go everywhere in their scrubs, we see Jackie with them at home, but here they put on in the hospital and taken off when the nurses leave.

Does Mo Mo knows Jackie is maried? I thought som, but in this episode it didn't seem like it.

ClumsyGal

ClumsyGal

Couch Potato

• Interests:I like...stuff

Posted Jul 4, 2009 @ 4:23 PM

I agree xmanson; I was confused by the fact that student nurse girl went out to a four star restaurant in her scrubs. Way to draw unwanted attention to yourself.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2009 @ 11:02 AM

I wanted to hear the story about Zoey's father's criminality. I was mad when they cut away from that scene.

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2009 @ 5:54 PM

Ep. 6 is up and the dying nurse made it seem like she worked with Jackie for years. So how is it that no one knows she has kids!!! Wouldn't she have been pregnant at least once (her youngest is seven I think). How do you keep that secret? Of all the things I like about this show that is something that drives me insane!!

You're going to tell me her husband and kids have never surprised her at work? My cousin is a nurse and her kids always stop in to see her!! They really need to explain this more!

jenrising

jenrising

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2009 @ 9:24 PM

I think Jackie said they worked together for 15 years, right? And she knew enough of the staff that it couldn't have been that long ago.

I'm really liking this show but that part of the plot is driving me nuts.

On the other hand, this episode was fantastic. Particularly the great mix of sad and funny. "Fuck you, here's to me!"

EMTQueen

EMTQueen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2009 @ 9:26 PM

I really wonder how Jackie has kept up the dichotomy of husband & kids at home and screwing Eddie at work and almost nobody has any awareness of either, except Dr. British (can't remember her name right now). I really hope they don't cop out and say that Jackie has only been working at this particular hospital for a short time, she's actually spent most years at a different hospital.

I loved the dying nurse and her sass.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2009 @ 3:50 PM

Could the kids be adopted?

I'll have to go back and watch because I don't remember anything about the dying nurse not knowing Jackie had kids.

In episode 1 or 2, I thought the husband mentioned going to Jackie's work for a nooner and she said something about a rain check and he said something about how often it had been raining lately. SO it sounds like he's been to the hospital before.

Edited by frostedglass, Jul 7, 2009 @ 5:12 PM.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

Didn't Jackie say that Paula (the dying nurse) had worked with her for fiteen years until she left a year ago, when the cancer got bad?

If that's the case, then entire Jackie and Paula worked at a different place together, then they both moved to All Saints - or, much more likely, Jackie's been working there for years and years and years. So yeah, in that case, the idea that no one would know that she has a husband and children is kind of ridiculous.

But do we know for sure that no one knows besides Dr. O'Hara? I know that some people (in particular, Eddie) don't know, but has there ever been confirmation that Dr. O'Hara is the only one with that inside information?

bchenowith

bchenowith

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 4:27 PM

Episode 6 was by far the best episode of this season. Judith Ivey who played the dying nurse deserves a guest emmy award. Loved the two moms and O'hara's reaction.

Edited by bchenowith, Jul 10, 2009 @ 8:59 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2009 @ 6:30 PM

I loved the dying nurse's "I got something in here for ya-flippin' the bird" to Akalatis. Perfectly executed.

I was a little disappointed they didn't give Blythe Danner & Swoozie Kurtz more to do. Seemed like a waste of two great talents unless they're making more appearances this season. Actually any of the three guest starring women would have been great as the dying nurse.

I wonder if Anna Deveare Smith is friends with director/writer/former artistic director of Public theater's Shakespeare festival/former wife of Philip Glass JoAnne Akalatis & named the character after her, or if she really dislikes her, since the character is a real dick most of the time. I think it's too weird of a name to be a coincidence.

Edited by braggtastic, Jul 10, 2009 @ 6:33 PM.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2009 @ 10:18 PM

Loved the dying nurse telling Akalatis that her name sounds like a disease, because it sort of does. And I guess Coop really does have tit-grabbing Tourette's after all, since he did it to Dr O'Hara. It was too funny how she called Blythe Danner Coop's "vaginal mom."

I'm not sure why Zoey would go to Eddie about her reservations over "participating" in the assisted suicide. Why not Dr O'Hara, who she's at least interacted with, and even gone to a restaurant with? O'Hara letting her go on and go about Jackie being afraid to cry with Jackie standing behind her was pretty funny though.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2009 @ 7:51 PM

Didn't Jackie say that Paula (the dying nurse) had worked with her for fiteen years until she left a year ago, when the cancer got bad?

If that's the case, then entire Jackie and Paula worked at a different place together, then they both moved to All Saints - or, much more likely, Jackie's been working there for years and years and years.

I just took this to meant he dying nurse left All Saints a year ago when the cancer got bad. She knew Eddie and used to get pills form him...a fact which piqued Jackie's interest.

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2009 @ 8:05 AM

Nurse Jackie is definitely growing on me!!

I thought it was OK at first, but now I find myself checking the On Demand menu often to see when a new episode is posted. There are some things about it I don't really care for, but overall it's a decent show. I kind of wish it was a bit more serious in tone and dropped some of the more obvious "these are jokes written by TV writers" comedy bits. I almost wonder if it wouldn't be better as an hour show, but then think that might get tedious.

I do have to say that I am not really loving Jackie herself yet. I adored Edie as Carmela Soprano. Carm was tough as nails but not so obvious about it. Jackie comes off as a bit too "butch" for me. She's too tough to love. Maybe it's the hair? She looks so much better with longer hair, I think.

bchenowith

bchenowith

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2009 @ 9:02 AM

Episode 7 is better than episode 6. We learn more about the personal life of O'hara. This show is awesome.

cmklaw

cmklaw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2009 @ 9:49 AM

My OnDemand is out! If you'd be so kind, what do we learn about O'Hara?

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

So God was Steve Buscemi, who also directed the episode, right?

bchenowith

bchenowith

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2009 @ 9:22 PM

Here is episode 7:Jackie steals Xanax from O'Hara who is having some herself after a family crisis. (I thought it was interesting that Jackie would take drugs from her friend.) O'Hara is having problems with her stepfather. I guess we will find out more in future episodes. O'Hara spends the night at Jackie's and spends the night talking about her life. She takes some bills that are on the table that need payed but Kevin steals them out of her purse. O'Hara aleso offers to pay for the private school of Grace.

Edited by bchenowith, Jul 14, 2009 @ 9:25 PM.

yb125

yb125

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2009 @ 10:23 PM

Good recap except I wouldn't say he stole them, in fact if anything she stole them and he noticed and took them back.

LaJollaGirl

LaJollaGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 7:08 AM

I agree that episode seven was a very rich, well done episode. Easily my favorite so far. My sense of O'Hara changed dramatically in just one episode -- I was prepared to love her for entirely superficial, girly-girl reasons (the Manolos, the lovely brunette, highlighted hair, and her gorgeous accent alone) but now I am delighted to discover that her whip-smart smugness is combined with a deeply empathetic attachment to Jackie.

My heart melted when she dismissed her mismatched (and smashing) shoes, offered to pay for the girls' schooling, and when she casually swept Jackie's unpaid bills into her lovely designer handbag (does anyone know who makes this bag???). In earlier episodes she seemed detached and too self-impressed; now, I am convinced that hapless little Zoey's observation was quite accurate -- O'Hara has suffered some serious emotional trauma in her life and we are beginning to see the fragments of a fractured life in much more stark detail. It makes her the most interesting character on the show, quite simply (and all in one episode).

And also -- as previous posters suggested, I would warm to Jackie if her harsh "butch" qualities didn't overwhelm the compassionate, knowing aspects of her personality. She cares for her patients and her colleagues in a serious, admirably iconoclastic way -- for example she's willing to steal medications to help comfort a suffering former colleague and she told the bumbling Coop what he wasn't hearing from his two Mommies -- that he is brilliant and truly capable. She does all this without a thought to protecting herself, with a humane grace. But the hairdo seems just so soharsh, and some of the nasty one-liners (especially as exchanged with love-hate relationship, dirty-sex drug-man Eddie) seem like the lingering vestiges of a younger, more defensive, insecure Jackie that simply isn't the same thoughtful, middle-aged Jackie we are encountering on the show.

Please give her hair, and her spirit, some space to grow.

Anyway, I am seriously into the next show -- just to see where our dear Dr. O'Hara leads us in her sparkling croc-skin pumps. And wouldn't these beauties looks fab on her:

http://www.chinaorga...778,c63889.html

thispooiscold

thispooiscold

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 1:33 PM

Okay, I'm glad that I didn't just miss something about O'Hara's storyline. I didn't know if she was being vague about her stepfather or if I just zoned out for a minute. I loved getting to see more of her personality - she's becoming one of my favorite characters on the show.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 1:53 PM

I'm finding the use of the word "butch" as negative a little disconcerting. I'm a lesbian, and far from butch, but really, isn't there a different word to use?

uranushertz

uranushertz

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

Regarding episode 7: EEEYYYOOOUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHH and *cringe* (you know which scene I'm talking about, and I'm a girl!) and that was one ugly-ass bracelet.

pinkluxe1

pinkluxe1

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 15, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

I loved this episode. I could watch the first 5 minutes of this one 100 times over. I rarely laugh outloud at TV, but there was something so funny about CrazyGodMan and then Akalitis running around screaming "Whose baby is this?!?!"

I cannot get enough of Jackie's youngest daughter. I just want to eat her up!

LaJollaGirl

LaJollaGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2009 @ 2:18 AM

Yeah, about the term "butch" -- I wasn't exactly sure how to describe what the earlier poster was pointing to so I put the term in quotes.

I sense an inconsistency in the writing -- what do other people think -- Jackie has a lingering, harder aspect to her personality that doesn't seem to fit with who she is now -- who she is with her children and with O'Hara and the patients who are the most vulnerable. I understand that this may be a defense mechanism but something doesn't quite seem to fit. She also steps in when/where she sees that she can make a difference (the young couple on their first date -- she gave the poor guy who had been stabbed by the ex-husband extra morphine so his opinion of the young woman would be positive again).

And great point about the bracelet -- seriously, I thought the same. Surely Eddie would have better taste than that -- pick out something random and gorgeous from Tiffany's, you dolt.

LaJollaGirl

LaJollaGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2009 @ 2:18 AM

And what do people think about the sudden antagonism corroding E/J's relationship? The relationship has been barely developed or rather revealed to us considering how little time has transpired in terms of show time; yet, the relationship is suddenly skidding hard on some sharp rocks.

Jackie made (what seemed to me) to be a half-hearted gesture with her apology re: the rejected bracelet but I did wonder if Eddie had a point -- that the relationship is fuelled by Jackie's habit and the I-need-to-take-a-shower-soon-afterwards naughty stolen lunch hours. Is this a lack of creative thinking as far as the writers are concerned or a compelling turn that I am not appreciating properly?

Edited by LaJollaGirl, Jul 16, 2009 @ 2:57 AM.

frostedglass

frostedglass

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2009 @ 5:03 PM

I sensed a pulling away by Jackie from Ed a few episodes back when they first mentioned the pharmacists being replaced by a machine. Then last week, when Jackie's dying friend came to the hospital, Jackie learns that Ed provided her with secret pills too. Add on Jackie's problems at home with her daughter and the increased hassle factor of having a dude on the side (having to get 2 phones...) I think the Jackie/Ed relationship has been tenuous all along. Jackie is seeking alternate ways to get drugs since she knows Ed may not be around the job anymore.