Future of Movies Stars: Who will Shine? Who will Fade Away?

• Please log in to reply

3018 replies to this topic

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:44 AM

I wouldn't say she was really snubbed for BM though, compared to the performances of the others in that movie hers was just not as memorable. I haven't seen the movie in quite awhile, but wasn't her character pretty unsympathetic (compared to the rest of them at least) as well, that also probably has a bit to do with why she didn't receive much attention for it.

Anne Hathaway is one of those actresses I find it really hard to like, or even enjoy, on screen. I can't explain why she just bugs me.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

I think she ruined herself with that attention seeking Oscar presenting. I know James Franco was the bigger asshat in that situation because he basically left her hanging but even still, she was just so irritating. The singing, the jokes, the blatant show offing - it was all just so irritating and embarrassing.

AshleyN

AshleyN

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

I'm fairly neutral on Hathaway (though I am interested to see how she does as Catwoman), but I didn't find her irritating or show-offy at the Oscars. Mostly I just felt bad for her, because she had no material to work with and a co-host who checked out fifteen minutes into the show, and was clearly panicking. I appreciated that she was at least trying to do something, even if it wasn't working. And I'm not sure what's wrong with singing or telling jokes (other than the fact that the jokes she was given were terrible, that is). Isn't that basically the job of the host?

On another note, how did I not find out until two days ago that Leonardo DiCaprio is playing the villian in the new Tarantino movie? I have to say, I'm really looking forward to seeing how that turns out - it could really be a great departure from the generic awards-bait rut it feels like he's been stuck in for so long.

Edited by AshleyN, Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:05 PM.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

I was stunned by how witty and quirky Jennifer Lawrence is in real life. The roles she has taken thus far have been so serious and mature. I'd love to see her in a comedy. She seems to be very versatile, a Kate Winslet in the making. I think she's got a ton of staying power.

Yeah, I remember watching her on Chelsea Lately and she was really hilarious and basically had no filter. I do hope she does some comedy, but I love watching her do drama too. She has that "it" factor.

Other stars I love:

- Selena Gomez- I really can't wait to see what she does once she is out of the disney bubble.
- Emma Stone: I want to see her do some serious/drama films. I think she is a great with comedies, but I would love to see her sink her teeth in something gritty.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt: who knew Tommy from 3rd Rock would grow up to be a great actor. I can't wait to see him in Looper, TDKR, and Lincoln.

- Chris Hemsworth- definitely think he is the more talented of the Hemsworth clan and think he's got the goods to be a star. Loved him as Thor. Thought he was cute/charming in Cabin in the Woods, Was awesome in The Avengers, and can't wait to see him in SWATH.

Edited by CharmCity04, May 1, 2012 @ 12:36 PM.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

- Emma Stone: I want to see her do some serious/drama films. I think she is a great with comedies, but I would love to see her sink her teeth in something gritty.

You could check out Paper Man, that was mostly dramatic. It wasn't a very good movie, but she was fab in it.

Edited by furrylump, May 1, 2012 @ 3:52 PM.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

And she's going to be in The Gangster Squad later this year, a period drama about organized crime in Los Angeles. I think she's playing a sort of femme fatale role, so that will definitely be a change of pace for her.

JBC344

JBC344

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

Had to comment on Anne Hathaway in Brokeback Mountain. While I agree her role wasn't as showy or likeable as the other three, and lord knows that I love Michelle in BM, I have to say that what Anne did in her final scene in the movie I still consider one of the best pieces of acting I have ever seen.

Maybe this is just the actor in me talking but I have literally watched that scene before I have gone on auditions to sort of get pumped up. The thing Anne does with her breathing in that scene and the way she sort of tips her hand to the audience to let us know that she most likely knows how and why her husband was killed and what Heath and her husband were to each other is just amazing. I have been a fan of Anne since her show "Get Real" in the 90's, but I really began to respect her talent after Brokeback.

Mer Garnet

Mer Garnet

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:37 AM

I totally agree about Anne Hathaway in Brokeback Mountain. She actually made a bigger impression on me than Michelle Williams, who got the Oscar nomination. I can still bring to mind Hathaway's expression in the dinner scene & that last scene, and I haven't seen that film since the theatrical run.

I wasn't terribly thrilled when she was announced as Catwoman, but after the trailers, I think she'll do a great job. Maybe she's just an actress who shines best in roles with an edge, & characters who are a bit of a mess.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

I like Hathaway. I didn't understand the outcry over the Oscar hosting gig, but maybe that's because I never expect them to be good. My problem with her is that she only makes movies I want to see every once in a while, but I'll cosign the love for her in Brokeback Mountain. I thought she was just as impressive as Ledger and Williams. Jake Gyllenhaal was the one who didn't totally do it for me in that movie. He was fine, but he was (in my eyes) easily overshadowed by his costars.

Me too and I'm glad she's got a few serious things on the horizon. I thought she was so amazing and hilarious in Easy A, but I found her scene in the confessional surprisingly affecting and I sort of instantly wanted to see her in a flat out dramatic role.

Just because it makes me happy: Pocket Full of Sunshine

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

Speaking of 90's child stars, Anna Chlumsky's staging a comeback, which has been interesting. I'm glad she seems to be doing it the right way, rather than leaping for any kind of T.V. exposure, like what Jodi Sweeten did with PantsOffDanceOff.

She was on an episode of White Collar last year and I recognized her immediately. She was good in small part, so I'm happy she's getting gigs.

I liked Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone and X-Men but I fell in love with her watching her interviews. When I'm in a bad mood I go on to Youtube and watch some of her interviews her witty, quirky, filter less personality always cheers me up. She's the total opposite of all the roles she plays, which makes her an amazing actress. So I hope to see good thing from her in the years to come.

tam1MI

tam1MI

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:16 AM

Ever wondered what happened to Mara Wilson from such films as "Mrs. Doubtfire"?

Mara Wilson did a guest-starring bit in the Nostalgia Critic's latest review, those few minutes were enough to make me wish that she'd change her mind and/or that someone would offer her something. She's got a real presence that so many ex-child stars lack.

I recently saw a preview for SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN and I have to say it kind of pissed me off. Not the movie itself - it actually looks good. What sort of hacked me off was Kristen Stewart - she actually looks like she is emoting, acting, actually engaged with her role in a way she so conspicuously isn't in the TWILIGHT films. Which is the cause of my annoyance - I hate when actors who are capable of being good choose not to be good because they think a role is "beneath them" or "stupid" or whatever dumb reason. (Word has it that both Stewart and her co-star, Robert Pattinson, have a rather low opinion of the TWILIGHT books, and, by extension, the movies made from them). You're taking a (quite generous) paycheck from these people, dammit, you should be giving 100%!

On the other hand, it's kind of a relief to know that Ms. Stewart can actually act when she has a mind to...

Edited by tam1MI, May 6, 2012 @ 1:17 AM.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:28 AM

Honestly, when it comes to Kristen Stewart, I place the blame mainly on just how much input Stephanie Meyer was able to have on the Twilight adaptions, and how Twilight weren't allowed to change anything because of her. I read that the stuttering thing was actually encouraged because Meyer believed it added to Bella's special snow-flake status.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:35 AM

(Word has it that both Stewart and her co-star, Robert Pattinson, have a rather low opinion of the TWILIGHT books, and, by extension, the movies made from them).

Word is wrong.

Honestly, when it comes to Kristen Stewart, I place the blame mainly on just how much input Stephanie Meyer was able to have on the Twilight adaptions, and how Twilight weren't allowed to change anything because of her. I read that the stuttering thing was actually encouraged because Meyer believed it added to Bella's special snow-flake status.

No that never happened, Smeyer input in the first movie was adding some dialogues and making sure they wouldn't have the FBI chasing vampires, the stuttering was Catherine Hardwick's input.

I never though Kristen didn't did a good Bella, but I do think she had less to work in the movie in comparison with the book and I actually blame Melissa Rosemberg that took away big chunks of the dialogues and much of Bella emotional outbursts. In the book Bella cries, laughs, is sarcastic, gets mad. She does has a reasoning for this but I don't think it came out as she wanted, YMMV.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

Mara Wilson did a guest-starring bit in the Nostalgia Critic's latest review, those few minutes were enough to make me wish that she'd change her mind and/or that someone would offer her something. She's got a real presence that so many ex-child stars lack.

And remember: DON'T FUCK WITH MARA WILSON

Edited by Ankai, May 6, 2012 @ 9:52 AM.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

I hate when actors who are capable of being good choose not to be good

If only there were someone on hand to make them go back and do it again until they got it right... Seriously, if the role wasn't recast during the first movie, I'm going to have to assume the directors got what they wanted out of her.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

Seriously, if the role wasn't recast during the first movie, I'm going to have to assume the directors got what they wanted out of her.

Yeah we cannot forget director's choices in this. Is like saying that Natalie Portman or/and Carrie Fisher just decided to "not act" in the Star Wars movies when they could had been better, given other representations. Of course in the case of Lucas I think he is more of a constructing the universe kind of director than "what is going through the character's minds?" probably because he was never an actor himself, YMMV.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

(Word has it that both Stewart and her co-star, Robert Pattinson, have a rather low opinion of the TWILIGHT books, and, by extension, the movies made from them). You're taking a (quite generous) paycheck from these people, dammit, you should be giving 100%!

I try not to judge the actors too much when it comes to their performances in the Twilight series; I feel there was only so much they could do with the material. Even though I found Twilight terrible on several levels, I still saw some glimmer of talent from Robert Pattinson. (BTW, have y'all seen him on late night talk shows? His subtle put-downs of the franchise are hilarious. Never change, RPattz. Never change!)

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

I am far from a Twilight fan. And I am completely mystified by the level of adoration Pattinson has received within the fandom. One of my favorite books/shows, Les Miserables, is being adapted into a movie this year. If Eddie Redmayne or Aaron Tveit slyly insulted their characters, the source materials, the fandom, I would be incensed, and no amount of cuteness/hotness would make me like them.

Speaking of Les Mis, I think Eddie Redmayne probably stands to gain the most from the movie. Aaron Tveit and Samantha Barks will likely return to Broadway/West End, and Amanda Seyfried isn't really playing anything she hasn't played before. I doubt the standings of the older stars will change much one direction or the other. Anne Hathaway at least gets to have two movies playing different character types open in the same year, which will probably be good for her, but I think the Batman movie is more of a departure from her usual image than Les Mis' Fantine.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

I am far from a Twilight fan. And I am completely mystified by the level of adoration Pattinson has received within the fandom. One of my favorite books/shows, Les Miserables, is being adapted into a movie this year. If Eddie Redmayne or Aaron Tveit slyly insulted their characters, the source materials, the fandom, I would be incensed, and no amount of cuteness/hotness would make me like them.

Robert Pattinson is always slightly insulting everything including himself, is his standard self-deprecating British humor.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

I watched The Skin I Live In the other day. I'm hoping it motivates Antonio Banderas to do more dramatic work. I'd totally forgotten that he's a damn good actor. Anyway, like all Almodovar movies, the acting was excellent across the board particularly by Elena Anaya.

God, I love Netflix Instant Streaming. I watched an Argentine movie called Sidewalls (Medianeras) and it's one of those will-they-won't-they-meet movies where it patently obvious they'll end up together at the end. I'm not much of a fan of romantic comedies, and this film was full of stuff that could have been very cringe-inducing, but Javier Drolas and Pilar Lopez de Ayala gave such grounded performances that they made me totally buy the whole "destined for each other" thing that I usually haaaaaaate so much in movies. Anyway, I've seen Pilar Lopez de Ayala in 5 or 6 films and I haven't always liked the films, but she's awesome.

Apparently, she's going to be in Almodovar's next movie, so yay!

I try not to judge the actors too much when it comes to their performances in the Twilight series; I feel there was only so much they could do with the material.

That's how I feel. It's one thing if 1 or 2 of the actors aren't that good, but when damn near everyone is a GIANT VORTEX OF SUCK? Yeah. I'm laying that on the director every time.

Edited by hardy har, May 10, 2012 @ 9:20 PM.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

I just saw Halle Berry video yelling at a paparazzi for stalking her daughter at school.
I ask again are paparazzi legit press or not? Or there are good and bad paparazzi's? I'm confused about this and also if a star yelling at them is good or bad for their career, or is a matter of what kind of star someone whose only talent is being a public figure Snooki, Kardashians,... welcome's this guys attention and singers and actors don't? Or I'm getting it wrong again.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are adorableness incarnate. For real.

The is my overall meh attitude towards superhero movies talking . . . but I hope they don't get locked into the latest Spiderman franchise. Like, I want it to do well because I think they're both damn fine actors, but I don't want it to do well enough that either one of them are locked into those movies for the next 5 years.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

I love both of them, and I think they'll do fine.

Emma Stone has really gotten a diverse resume already, and the love interests on those movies never really stick around for very long. Even if she does get locked in, I'd imagine that she'd have options to do smaller, more dramatic and creatively satfisying films as well. I'd imagine it would be a great balance, the great paycheck from Spider-man while taking risks with other things. She also has that gangster movie with Ryan Gosling coming out soon. She's incredibly likeable, smart, and talented, I'm not worried about her.

Andrew Garfield just got a Tony nomination for Death of a Salesman (with a likely chance of winning). In which he was singled out as one of the bright spots of a production co-starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman and directed by Mike Nichols. Not too shabby AT all. Spider-man will prove that he can sell a movie, up his profile (much like Gosling was able to do recently), while also affording him some creative freedom with other films. He also has the cred from The Social Network. He didn't have to talk a play right now, but I respect him a lot for doing it.

Here he's talking about Death of a Salesman: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_qjaSCd1tJs

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

Andrew Garfield isn't conventionally handsome, but he's got a charm and talent to him that can take him pretty far, I think. I mean, Tom Hanks isn't conventionally handsome, either, and look how far he got. It might actually be somewhat of an asset, because "hot boy" roles, just like "hot girl" roles, don't tend to lend much in terms of actual acting cred and respect.

Emma Stone is interesting in the sense that she CAN play the hot girl, but she's also able to convincingly play the nerdy chick or the wacky funny chick. Her role in Zombieland is light years away from her role in Easy A.

Anyway...has anyone else noticed that all the hype surrounding Magic Mike has completely cut off Alex Pettyfer? Like, Entertainment Weekly did an interview with the stars of the movie, and Alex P. was completely not there? Dude's good to look at, but if even half of the stories are true(like he turned down the Mortal Instruments because they wouldn't pay him 4 million dollars)...man...I'm glad he sunk. Thank god he didn't get cast as Peeta in the Hunger Games.

Edited by MethodActor05, May 23, 2012 @ 5:35 PM.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

Anyway...has anyone else noticed that all the hype surrounding Magic Mike has completely cut off Alex Pettyfer? Like, Entertainment Weekly did an interview with the stars of the movie, and Alex P. was completely not there? Dude's good to look at, but if even half of the stories are true(like he turned down the Mortal Instruments because they wouldn't pay him 4 million dollars)...man...I'm glad he sunk. Thank god he didn't get cast as Peeta in the Hunger Games.

I have the bad habit to look for counterarguments when a star is really really bashed on the net and I'm sad to report that as much as I tried to find good words about AP (Christina Aguilera is another one that looks worse everytime I look for any reports on her) I found myself not able to. In fact I'm guessing that he is only still working because he slept with someone on top that is married or something and they need to keep him shut. The guy has burned so many ships that he should play Hernan Cortez on his next movie...

Craphole Island

Craphole Island

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Apparently Minka Kelly was just cast as Jackie Kennedy in Lee Daniel's (director of Precious)'s newest movie. I think that's interesting. Matthew McConaughey is playing JFK, which is even more interesting to me. I just don't see the two of them playing those people, at least not together haha. However, I love Minka (and anyone associated with Friday Night Lights) so I hope it does well. The film is called The Butler, about a butler who served under 8 presidents. It also stars Forest Whitaker, Oprah, Lenny Kravitz, Jane Fonda, John Cusack, Cuba Gooding Jr., Alan Rickman, and Terrence Howard. So it's quite the cast!

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

Matthew McConaughey is playing JFK

Huh?!?

Look, I'm not a casting purist when it comes to portrayals of real people. I don't mind if the actor doesn't perfectly capture the "character"'s every physical aspect and personality nuance. Frank Langella doesn't look anything like Richard Nixon. Kenneth Branagh doesn't sound much like Laurence Olivier.

But Matthew McConaughey as JFK? Come on. In what universe?

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

I kinda wonder if this means that the Help has ushered in a new spate of "suffering black servants and their unhappy white employers" movies. I think my favorite of that genre was Imitation of Life, where the mammie dictates to Lana Turner how things should be carried out on her death bed.

Matthew McConaughey has been an interesting case. He never really became a top box office draw, but somehow has managed to stay high-profile for a long time.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

I kinda wonder if this means that the Help has ushered in a new spate of "suffering black servants and their unhappy white employers" movies.

This movie has been in the works since 2008. It's based on a really famous article in the Washington Post about the butler's life, ending with the 2008 election, where his wife died like the night after Obama won.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Hee, Redtracer. I like Matthew well enough, but never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined him as JFK. As for Minka Kelly - at first reading, I thought, "Huh?" but then I changed my mind. I also initially objected to the age difference of the actors, as I didn't realize there was a similar age gap between JFK and Jackie until I looked it up. Hey, who knows. It might work. Can't see Matthew pulling off a Boston accent, which is admittedly a minor issue.