Future of Movies Stars: Who will Shine? Who will Fade Away?

• Please log in to reply

3020 replies to this topic

Landmarx

Landmarx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

I find James Marsden's career pretty interesting. He's just never really found anything to elevate his status as a star, but you never hear anything bad about him. And he seems to be migrating toward TV (Modern Family, 30 Rock).

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

It's strange with James Marsden- he's always seemed just one role shy of finding the role that would make him an A-List star, but he just never had any luck. The other thing with him is that he tends to excel better when it comes to supporting roles, so that might be why he's never broken out.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

I think that James Marsden was just a bit too bland to make the leap to an A-List star.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

He needs to get a plum role in a musical. Even though he only sang a little in Hairspray and Enchanted, he's clearly got a great voice. Hollywood has made it clear that they're not interested in hiring professional musical theater actors for film musicals, so the least they could do is stick to film actors who can actually sing, like him.

Edited by Redtracer, Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:49 AM.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

Redtracer: Sweet fancy Jesus, if you haven't had a chance to see them, get you hand on Pill's Season 2 episode of In Treatment. I have no flowery words to use or metaphors to make . . . she's just so fucking good

I agree with hardy har, I would definitely recommend watching her April episodes from Season 2 In Treatment. I'm still aggravated that she was not recognized in any award nomination for that part - such a fucking shame. She certainly deserved it and it's an understated, quiet performance that grips you and then escalates. A great combination of wonderful writing for a young woman and a beautiful arched acting performance.

I think that might be influenced by the audiences. In Mirror, Mirror casting I had seen many comments calling Lily Collins unibrow Snowhite and she is Hollywood pretty with big eye brows that is all. I don't think audiences in this side of the pond really want average looking women in their screen, they want glam 24/7 and then some, YMMV.

Lily Collins is certainly beautiful but I think this example shows the fucked up Hollywood female image and what a self fulfilling prophecy it is. For far too long they've emphasized a conventional standard of beauty that is either highly unrealistic or downright unattainable for the average woman, be it genetics, health and biology, or monetarily. Hollywood has forcefed it so much that whenever someone is cast who might have any type of discernable flaw, the actress is immediately lambasted for it. In this case, Lily Collins. I haven't seen the film but I'm much more interested in if she can actually, you know, act. It does surprise me though since she doesn't have any bushier eyebrows than Jennifer Connelly had back in her day - which I guess goes to show how more limited the standards of beauty are now.

And you know which actress has actually been the most vocal about how ridiculous that standard is? Kate Winslet, who is English.

He needs to get a plum role in a musical. Even though he only sang a little in Hairspray and Enchanted, he's clearly got a great voice. Hollywood has made it clear that they're not interested in hiring professional musical theater actors for film musicals, so the least they could do is stick to film actors who can actually sing, like him.

While I'm happy for Aaron Tveit, he would have made a great Enjolras in the upcoming Les Miz film and it would be a reunion with Hugh Jackman. I think they used to sing Les Miz during breaks in X-Men filming (I think I read that somewhere).

Edited by OptimisticCynic, Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:45 AM.

MaggieElizabeth

MaggieElizabeth

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

A number of the actresses I like best these days have that unconventional but highly appealing British beauty, the ability to be both attractive and real. Unfortunately, I know them best from television. Liz White, of the British Life on Mars, has a sweet, lovely face, and I LIKE it that she's tall and a little bulky, not teeny-tiny. (We have enough teeny-tiny actresses.) But most American audiences know her, if they know her at all, from a small role as Evil Incarnate in The Woman in Black. Joanne Froggat did not impress me at all in Robin Hood, her character being such a waste of space who could not do a single thing right, but since I've been watching her in Downton Abbey I've come to appreciate her; give her an appealing character to play, and she rises to the occasion. Yet big-screen success eludes her, because while her face is pleasant, it doesn't have that "stunner thing" Hollywood deems so important. Lenora Crichlow from Being Human is enormously appealing, and perhaps the prettiest of those I've mentioned, but no Hollywood beauty. Would the big screen even know what to do with her?

Good actresses often have longer and more successful careers if they stick with TV.

Hayley Atwell is one I want to see go on to great things, if only "that part" would come her way.

Saoirse Ronan deserves better than she's been getting heretofore. She consistently elevates mediocre material. I'm one of the few who was simply NOT bowled over by Atonement, but I have to acknowledge that she was superb in it. City of Ember was not nearly as good as it should have been, but again, Ronan was great. In Hanna, for once, she and the movie were both good, but alas, despite garnering critical praise, she wasn't done any favors by that film's poor box office showing. On top of that, her voice work in The Secret World of Arrietty is scrapped for the movie's American release in favor of the woefully mediocre Birgit Mendler. (I really wanted to like that movie, but the indifferent voice acting crippled it for me.) Finally, Ronan ends up in a potential box-office hit -- playing a character created by Stephenie Meyer. I think it's time for something good to happen to this talented young woman.

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

Lily Collins is certainly beautiful but I think this example shows the fucked up Hollywood female image and what a self fulfilling prophecy it is. For far too long they've emphasized a conventional standard of beauty that is either highly unrealistic or downright unattainable for the average woman, be it genetics, health and biology, or monetarily. Hollywood has forcefed it so much that whenever someone is cast who might have any type of discernable flaw, the actress is immediately lambasted for it. In this case, Lily Collins. I haven't seen the film but I'm much more interested in if she can actually, you know, act. It does surprise me though since she doesn't have any bushier eyebrows than Jennifer Connelly had back in her day - which I guess goes to show how more limited the standards of beauty are now.

I believe beauty standards are more strict now that back in the day, indeed. I think if there was more celebrities with bushier eyebrows it might be different but since she is an isolated case she is breaking the norm and people freak out. The same for any variation which will make the "Hollywood look" even more stricter no actress looking for work will try to set herself apart by having a different image and the casting director won't pick anyone they think is going to attract haters just by appearing in a poster. So yeah our small not so good looking actresses are in for a niche for a while, a shame indeed.But then we need to chance society first to change movies second IMO. Hollywood is a business after all no matter how much we say something if our money is not behind our words this is pretty much useless, YMMV.

And you know which actress has actually been the most vocal about how ridiculous that standard is? Kate Winslet, who is English.

Didn't people used to call her fat?

While I'm happy for Aaron Tveit, he would have made a great Enjolras in the upcoming Les Miz film and it would be a reunion with Hugh Jackman. I think they used to sing Les Miz during breaks in X-Men filming (I think I read that somewhere).

Yes they used to sing in the sets of the X-men movies. That would had been all sorts of awesome indeed.

I think James Marsden got stuck in the role of the "Too nice to get the girl" and he never got a role he could break from that image even Straw Dogs his wife is more attracted to former thug of a boyfriend and cheats on him, than him even if they stayed together so yeah he will need to play a serial killer or get a body transformation, incredibly fat or incredibly skinny for a role, to be able to get something different, of course he is also getting older so maybe a few wrinkles will give him a more to work with, YMMV.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

It does surprise me though since she doesn't have any bushier eyebrows than Jennifer Connelly had back in her day - which I guess goes to show how more limited the standards of beauty are now.

The first time I saw Lily Collins, I actually thought that she bore a resemblance to Jennifer Connelly. I think it definitely goes past the eyebrows.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

I only found out she's Phil Collins' daughter when she was on Live! With Kelly a few days ago!

Jennifer Connelly's thick eyebrows are offset by her green eyes which were and are spectacular.

Edited by Limbonaut, Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:16 PM.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

Hayley Atwell

I loved her in the Pillars of the Earth series and she was the best thing about Captain America.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:40 PM

Speaking of young actors who emotionally kicked the shit out of me via In Treatment . . . Mia Wasikowska signed on for an adaptation of Madame Bovary.

I wonder whatever happened the that Jim Jarmusch vampire movie she was supposed to do with Michael Fassbender and Tilda Swinton?

Jennifer Connelly's thick eyebrows are offset by her green eyes which were and are spectacular.

True dat. I don't know if it's because Labyrinth and The Rocketeer were some of my favorite movies as a kid or what, but Jennifer Connolly if one of those actors who I'll love forever. I don't care how many depressing or (as of late) crappy movies she makes. She's awesome.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

I wonder if Angela Bettis doesn't get work she otherwise would because of her looks. She sure seems to have a fuckton of diehard fans when you consider the relative obscurity of her body of work, so why is it Lucky McKee seems to be the only filmmaker who's noticed how crazy talented she is? She might just be an unbelievable asshole or a crack addict or something, but it's hard not to think it's probably at least partially be because she's just not that traditionally pretty, even if she is teeny-tiny.

Liz White, of the British Life on Mars, has a sweet, lovely face, and I LIKE it that she's tall and a little bulky, not teeny-tiny. (We have enough teeny-tiny actresses.) But most American audiences know her, if they know her at all, from a small role as Evil Incarnate in The Woman in Black.

She also has a wonderful lilty-sounding voice. Seriously. It's a pleasure to hear her talk. I would've thought Life On Mars was bigger in America than The Woman In Black, though.

Edited by furrylump, Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:17 AM.

Nanrad

Nanrad

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but Olivia Thirlby seems as if she has a promising Hollywood career. My first introduction to her was Juno. It wasn't until I saw The Secret that her acting chops really impressed me.

misere

misere

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

I wonder whatever happened the that Jim Jarmusch vampire movie she was supposed to do with Michael Fassbender and Tilda Swinton?

Still slated to shoot later this year, but with Tom Hiddleston in the Fassbender role. MF dropped out and is working with Ridley Scott on a Cormac McCarthy script and another McQueen film this summer.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

I wonder if Angela Bettis doesn't get work she otherwise would because of her looks. She sure seems to have a fuckton of diehard fans when you consider the relative obscurity of her body of work, so why is it Lucky McKee seems to be the only filmmaker who's noticed how crazy talented she is?

Might be personal taste. She seems to gravitate to fringe genre projects.

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

I am curious about Taylor Kitch. He seems to be the breakout of FNL. He was great in that show and I think he is a talented actor but John Carter was such an epic fail, I hope he can bounce back. Battleship and Savages, both seem to be more promises esp Savages, it is by Oliver Stone and it looks like a good vehical for TK. Plus he looks badass and sexy in the trailer.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

I am curious about Taylor Kitch. He seems to be the breakout of FNL. He was great in that show and I think he is a talented actor but John Carter was such an epic fail, I hope he can bounce back. Battleship and Savages, both seem to be more promises esp Savages, it is by Oliver Stone and it looks like a good vehical for TK. Plus he looks badass and sexy in the trailer.

I hope no one holds John Carter against him because that movie was gonna be an epic fail no matter who was cast as the lead. I'm assuming Battleship will do well (box office-wise) because it a big ass action movie with robots and shit. Universal actually moved up the release of Savages and positioned it as grownup counter-programming to the new Spiderman movie so the studio seems to have quite a lot of faith in it.

ETA: I never thought I'd say this, but I have a total crush on Channing Tatum. He isn't my type at all, but I saw 21 Jump Street yesterday. Between that and his completely charming late night appearances I'm on board. I hope he does well.

Edited by hardy har, Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:46 PM.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

I'm not sure this is really going to be the big breakout for Liam Hemsworth that people thought it'd be.

Poor guy just doesn't have any charisma. I was watching some of the Hunger Games interviews and he was trying to be charming and fun but he always just came off stiff. It was especially apparent when he was paired in interviews with Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence who are so energetic and chatty.

I was stunned by how witty and quirky Jennifer Lawrence is in real life. The roles she has taken thus far have been so serious and mature. I'd love to see her in a comedy. She seems to be very versatile, a Kate Winslet in the making. I think she's got a ton of staying power.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Poor guy just doesn't have any charisma. I was watching some of the Hunger Games interviews and he was trying to be charming and fun but he always just came off stiff. It was especially apparent when he was paired in interviews with Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence who are so energetic and chatty.

He's such a good-looking guy, and his brother obviously has charm in spades, but damn. I saw a Q&A where it was painfully obvious that Liam is the third wheel.

It's kinda sad though. He got a whole cover story in GQ about how the Hunger Games was going to propel him into stardom like, and all the attention has gone to Jen and Josh. Deservedly so, but still. That's gotta bug.

I was stunned by how witty and quirky Jennifer Lawrence is in real life. The roles she has taken thus far have been so serious and mature. I'd love to see her in a comedy. She seems to be very versatile, a Kate Winslet in the making. I think she's got a ton of staying power.

She's in a movie with Bradley Cooper that basically sounds like MacBeth in the 1930's timber industry. It sounds good- I like that she didn't squander her critical good will and make a bunch of shitty films. *cough* Kristen Bell*cough*

Edited by MethodActor05, Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:57 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

To be fair to Liam Hemsworth, his role in the film wasn't exactly the kind to for stardom to anybody. Anyway it seems he's going to doing just fine:

Not only is he starring opposite some of the biggest heavyweights from the golden age of punny '80s testosterone flicks in "The Expendables 2" this summer, the newly-minted teen idol has just signed on to headline his very own espionage thriller entitled "Paranoia" for director Robert Luketic ("Killers", "Monster-in-Law"). What's more, A-listers Harrison Ford (not a stranger to action himself) and Gary Oldman are in "advanced talks" (according to Deadline) to join him on the project.

Wow, judging from these photos taken today in Venice Beach shooting Sofia Coppola's movie The Bling Ring today I think it's safe to say Emma Watson is doing a great job of moving as far awayfrom Hermione as possible!

Edited by Limbonaut, Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:42 AM.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

Ever wondered what happened to Mara Wilson from such films as "Mrs. Doubtfire"?

http://ca.movies.yah...-193156055.html

lastdaughterfk

lastdaughterfk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

Ever wondered what happened to Mara Wilson from such films as "Mrs. Doubtfire"?

I like that she is being honest about the beauty threshold actors have to cross in order to find work, is one of those uncomfortable truths that few people discuss at large.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

It seriously seems like even female character actors have to be conventionally pretty now, which wasn't really the case back in the 80's and the 90's. (Male character actors are of course still allowed to be Hollywood ugly.)

In any event, I liked the read. Mara was obviously being honest with herself- she knew she wasn't conventionally pretty enough or talented enough, and walked away to find her own deal instead of becoming some sad child star desperate to cling on to their former fame.

I used to mix up Mara and Tina Majorino when they were kids, but Tina was really the better actress, and I'm glad she's got a nice little supporting character career going on. Tina's still young enough that she can make it big, but I see her playing mostly interesting, quirky character roles.

Speaking of 90's child stars, Anna Chlumsky's staging a comeback, which has been interesting. I'm glad she seems to be doing it the right way, rather than leaping for any kind of T.V. exposure, like what Jodi Sweeten did with PantsOffDanceOff.

And finally, Claire Danes made the comeback we all knew she could. I'm glad about that. I'm not sure she'll ever be a big movie star, but television is doing wonders for her career. I think Claire got out of that awkward stage, when you're too old to be doing the roles that made you famous, and too young to move on to more mature roles.

Edited by MethodActor05, Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:13 AM.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

And finally, Claire Danes made the comeback we all knew she could. I'm glad about that. I'm not sure she'll ever be a big movie star, but television is doing wonders for her career. I think Claire got out of that awkward stage, when you're too old to be doing the roles that made you famous, and too young to move on to more mature roles.

I liked Claire Danes even back in that awkward stage. I thought she had real talent and a compelling actress. I loved her in Shopgirl. For me, she's got that Diane Lane quality in which her face is really, really expressive, without even saying a word. And it's good to see she is somehow back in Hollywood's good graces after a career "downtime", which fortunately for her was not as bad as what Winona endured.

And my God, Carrie Mathison is just a role of a lifetime! Claire was just so electrifying and mesmerizing to watch! Kristen Bell's the same age as her - I hope she gets a career revival like Claire did. I think HOL is a good step towards that.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Apparently, there's a young Swedish address named Alicia Vikander who's taking a stab at some English language films. She won Sweden's Best Actress Oscar equivalent (over our current crossover Swede, Noomi Rapace) for something called Pure (Till det som är vackert) Anyway, she's playing Kitty in Joe Wright's Anna Karenina and she's playing Alice in The Seventh Son alongside Jeff Bridges, Ben Barnes, Julianne Moore, Kit Harrington, and Antje Traue. That is, apparently, based off the first book in a Fantasy series called The Wardstone Chronicles**

She's also in A Royal Affair (En kongelig affære). Not and English language flick, but it costars Mads Mikkelsen . . . who I've floved since that dumbass King Arthur movie. Shut up.

Speaking of 90's child stars, Anna Chlumsky's staging a comeback, which has been interesting. I'm glad she seems to be doing it the right way, rather than leaping for any kind of T.V. exposure, like what Jodi Sweeten did with PantsOffDanceOff.

That woman does.not.age. I hadn't seen her in anything since My Girl came out and, literally, the moment she came on screen in In The Loop my brain went, "Holy shit! My Girl!"

I liked Claire Danes even back in that awkward stage. I thought she had real talent and a compelling actress. I loved her in Shopgirl. For me, she's got that Diane Lane quality in which her face is really, really expressive, without even saying a word. And it's good to see she is somehow back in Hollywood's good graces after a career "downtime", which fortunately for her was not as bad as what Winona endured.

Cosign. She's definitely done some movies that I've found very meh, but I've pretty much always liked her performances. Plus, she's Angela Chase. I will love her forever.

The Winona Ryder thing still pisses me off.

** Wikipedia tells me it's known as The Last Apprentice in The States.

Edited by hardy har, Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:36 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

On that note, if they ever do a movie bio of Sinatra like they will every few years, I think Marsden would be a really good choice for that.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

In an interview Anne Hathaway said when she was working with Meryl Streep on The Devil Wears Prada, she got kind of annoyed because Meryl would go on and on about how great Claire Danes was(they worked together in The Hours). I don't Meryl was comparing the two, she was just loved working with her on The Hours.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

So, Rooney Mara continues to line up some pretty sweet gigs post-Dragon Tattoo.

She's working on Steven Soderbergh's Bitter Pill right now, she's got The Movie Formerly Known as Lawless with Terrence Malick, yesterday she signed on to replace Carey Mulligan in Spike Jonze's next movie and today she signed on to star in the Nick Hornby penned adaptation of Colm Toibin's novel, Brooklyn.

Damn, girl.

ETA: Aaaaand another one (maybe): In talks for Ain't Them Bodies Saints with Ben Foster and Casey Affleck.

Edited by hardy har, Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:38 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

I don't Meryl was comparing the two, she was just loved working with her on The Hours.

Yeah, I really don't see Meryl being rude or intentionally overdoing something like that. Maybe Anne was a little sensitive about it for some reason.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

I don't know- aside from getting acclaim for Rachel Getting Married, Anne Hathaway hasn't really had much luck getting recognized as a "serious" actress. When the Brokeback Mountain critical craze hit, everyone was focused on Heath, Jake, and Michelle. That would have been close to when she was filming The Devil Wears Prada, so I could see where that would have stung a little for Rachel to have basically been snubbed for any BM critical acclaim while hearing the Greatest Actress Alive go on about how wonderful a contemporary of hers is.