Future of Movies Stars: Who will Shine? Who will Fade Away?

• Please log in to reply

3027 replies to this topic

Craphole Island

Craphole Island

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2009 @ 8:30 PM

I hope it is okay that I post this, but this is something I am curious to get all of your opinions on. Which younger stars of today do you see lasting in 15 or 20 years? Who do you think will fizzle out just as fast as they broke through?

I am not necessarily asking who will be the biggest box office draws come 20 years, but simply who will still be around? Will these High School Musical kids be relevant? Will Joseph Gordon Levitt finally get his big break? Will Shia continue his success? Will Jessica Alba or Megan Fox ever get respect for their work rather than their looks? Well, you get the picture.

I mean, there are a lot of young stars today. Before I give my own opinions, I'd like to hear yours.

So who do you think will make it? I think this could be an interesting discussion.

Midnightsunrise

Midnightsunrise

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

I think both Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles from Supernatural, have the chance to have bright futures ahead of them. They are both good looking, charming, charismatic and very talented, actors and both starred, in 2 hit horror films, in My Bloody Valentine and Friday The 13th. They may be tv actors, now but everyone has to have a break somewhere. Johnny Depp was a TV actor too, and look at where he is now. If you have the talent and drive, you can shine and I believe both these guys have it.

I think while the Twilight stars may shine now, I honestly think, they will fade in a few years. Kristen Stewart is just not that great of an actress to me but I think she will probley, have the most stable career of anyone, because she keep getting cast, in pretty decent parts. Robert Pattinson, I think may be the Hayden Christanson, of the series, he is talented for the Twilight cast but has alot of work to do and I am not sure I can see him having a big leading man career.

I think Joesph Gordan Levitt, will have a long lasting career becuase he is so talented and has alot more range, then most his age. I think he honestly could be the next Heath Ledger. In fact he is one of the few, I could see replacing Heath as Joker, in another movie and doing a good job with it. I am really impressed by him and I am always glade to see him anything, mainstream but I not sure about him in GI Joe becuase I honestly think he is too good for the role.

I think Megan Fox, will shine, as long as she keeps being so stunningly, beautiful, when her looks(which are her only selling point,) are gone, I expect she will be too. Jessica Alba, was never that talented honestly and I think she will have the same career, years down the road.

As for Shia, I am on the fence with him. He is not a terrible actor and he has actually done good movies and been good in them and while he may not be the best looking, he has personality, talent and can do funny and dramtic roles. I think he may just make it big.

I hope Even Rachel Wood, gets more exposer and lead roles. She is such a talented actress and I can see her more of a Kate Winslet, type for her generation. I think she will stick more to indie flicks, but I hope she finally gets her big break.

Edited by Midnightsunrise, Jun 15, 2009 @ 10:56 PM.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2009 @ 10:59 PM

Personally, I think Joseph Gordon Levitt is doing exactly the right thing. He has chosen projects that are not only as far away from his tv character as they could be, but they are also entirely age-appropriate and allow him to grow as an actor. Very like Christian Bale (another former child actor), actually.

And while Shia LeBeouf may be the current flavour of the month, he's also earned it. He and his handlers have made good choices in selecting roles that have earned him his current top billing status by proving that yes, he can put asses in the seats.

Someone who I don't really see making the transition from child to adult actor is Dakota Fanning. I have a feeling she might go the way of the Olsen Twins.

ETA: I don't think there is anyone like Kate Winslet on the horizon. I do like Evan Rachel Wood and think she could go pretty far, but she's no Kate.

Edited by zelmia, Jun 15, 2009 @ 11:02 PM.

Nightraven

Nightraven

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2009 @ 11:23 PM

Dakota Fanning is already fading. When is the last time that she did anything famous?

Same goes for Jessica Alba. It seems like she is already on her way out.

I don't really see any of the high school musical kids going anywhere. Zach may be the only one to enjoy fame for a few more years, but he has really got to start distancing himself from his teen image soon and start taking more adult roles.

Megan Fox may stick around for a couple more years, however once she turns 30 and she starts getting old, the whole sex addict thing is going to start becoming a bit weird. She will still be able to find work for a while though.

I see Kristin Stewart being able to find steady work and have a pretty successful career, however not on the A-list. She seems more the type of person to do independent films.

Robert Pattinson is still kind of up in the air. He has some potential, but something about him makes him seem like the whole Hollywood thing isn't for him. Something tells me he might leave it all behind.

Craphole Island

Craphole Island

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 12:57 AM

I agree about Joseph Gordon Levitt. He's definitely making some smart choices and I see him lasting in the industry.

I also think Shia will continue to be as successful as he is now. Plus, he is pretty talented so I think he can pull off both the big box office popcorn films, as well as the indie films.

As for other actors, I definitely think James Franco is here for the long haul. He's no doubt got talent and I know my sister and all my female friends are obsessed with him, so he's got the looks too hah. I wonder about Emile Hirsch though...

I also wonder what your opinions are about comedic actors like Michael Cera, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, etc.? I can't decide if I think they will keep up their success. I guess we'll have to see how Year One and Funny People do. Not that either of those movies will make or break them, but I wonder if they can continue their string of successes.

On the actress side of things, I really think and hope Rachel McAdams is still around. I really do love her. I also think Amy Adams and Anne Hathaway will be big(ger) stars. This year alone is a big one for Zoe Saldana, with Star Trek and the upcoming James Cameron film Avatar, so I'm thinking her star is going to rise. I also think we should look out for Zooey Deschanel, who I think is adorable. I think she's really talented and has a nice look to her, so hopefully she is here to stay. Not to mention she has a cool singing voice (from that Cotton commercial).

ETA: I think I say think too much. ;)

Edited by Craphole Island, Jun 16, 2009 @ 12:58 AM.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 2:22 AM

Hm. I guess I'm confused. People like Zooey Deschanel and especially Jessica Alba and James Franco, I would already consider pretty established.

once she turns 30 and she starts getting old

???

In fairness, Dakota Fanning is only 15. She's right in the middle of the "awkward stage" where she's too old to continue to play children, but people aren't quite ready to accept her as the young woman she is. But she's got plenty of time to decide how - and if - she wants to continue to pursue her career.

Edited by zelmia, Jun 16, 2009 @ 2:25 AM.

Iloveyoutoo

Iloveyoutoo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 2:31 AM

I dont know if this is clouded by the fact that I LOVE HER but I think Keira Knightly could be the next great actress. Or at least the one who is going to shine talent wise out of her generation.

We also cant forget Scarlett because although I dont think she is as good a Keira, she will definitely have a long career.

As far as Megan Fox goes, she will have the same career as Alba, I think. I dont see her as the next Angelina and I honestly dont see the comparison. Megan replaced Jessica Alba and in a few years some one will come along and replace Megan.

As far as actors go, I think Chris Pine is in the position right now to become a huge star. I also think that Shia will be huge.

Oh and Ryan Renolds may have a good career.

Who do you guys think will be the next great character actors, like Chris Walken, Samuel L Jackson and Marcia Gay Harden? I think Zachary Quinto could go that way. Also Rachel McAdams.

Edited by Iloveyoutoo, Jun 16, 2009 @ 2:38 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 3:06 AM

Considering that a good amount of people thought he stole Terminator: Salvation from Christan Bale, and has two big roles in James Cameron's Avatar and the Clash of the Titan's remake, it looks like Sam Worthington is on his way to becoming the next big thing. Curious to see how it will play. He did have a few kinks in T:S, but looking at it as his first big Hollywood role, it was a pretty decent start.

I'm defintely going to be keeping my eye on the new Star Trek cast as well. I defintely think Chris Pine can be a star, if he plays his cards right. Curious to see where Zachary Quinto will go as well (I'm hoping he is already prepared to abandon the sinking ship known as Heroes.) And I hope Zoe Saldana gets a boost, since she seems to be one of those actresses who is attractive, but can actually act (see: Rachel McAdams and Anne Hathaway.). And finally, I hope Karl Urban will now get better roles, instead of duds like Pathfinder and Doom.

The Transformer Two: I agree that I think Megan Fox will continue to stick around, as long as she continues to be gorgeous. Because unless she has some kind of hidden talent, waiting to be unleashed, I don't see her having a long shelf-life. As for Shia, I think he is the real deal, although I do hope he starts taking different roles, besides the geeky guy, who talks fast and rambles a lot. And I hope he gets his personal life under control a.k.a. no more drinking and driving (even if the wreck wasn't offically his fault.)

I think Jessica Alba (and probably Jessica Biel) have probably already peaked in popularity, leaving room for the Megan Fox's of the industry to take their spot.

I think Keira Knightley can be a success, but she needs to find a more modern successful role, that doesn't require a corset, to really make it in the industry. Also think her Atonement costar, James McAvoy is a shining star. Any one that can go toe-to-toe with both Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman (not to mention Forest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland), defintely has what it takes.

Actually, one guy I'm really curious about is the new Thor, Chris Hemsworth. I've only seen him as George Kirk in the new Star Trek film, but despite it being a bit role, he really gave a good emotional performance in it. If he can do that for an entire film, he might be one for the books.

One former rising actor that seems to have disappeared is Orlando Bloom. Seriously, after the LOTR trilogy he was all over the place. But after Troy and Johnny Depp stealing the Pirates of the Caribbean films from him (and pretty much everyone else, heh), I've barely heard a thing. Personally, I didn't find him to be that good of an actor, but I'm still somewhat surprised how quickly he faded out of the spotlight.

Enigma13

Enigma13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 7:43 AM

Emma Watson will disappear once the HP franchise is over; unlike the other kids from the series, she didn't turn out to be even an adequate actress IMHO. Of course, it looks like she wants to quit acting anyway (since she's going to college in the US, right?), to which I say good for her. She's set for life anyway, being one of the world's richest teens (and as someone exactly her age, yes, I am hella jealous).

I'm curious to see where Hayden Panettiere will go post-Heroes. I know she's playing the titular character in I Love You, Beth Cooper this summer, which I guess will tell us whether she's able to carry a movie partly on her shoulders (she's not the protagonist but his slightly nutbar crush-- and if you haven't read the book, you should, it's hilarious).

In fairness, Dakota Fanning is only 15. She's right in the middle of the "awkward stage"

The thing with Dakota Fanning, though, is that even though she's a good actress (or at least she was as a child, I haven't seen her in anything recently), her available career pathways sadly depend on whether she turns out awkward-looking or Hollywood Beautiful™ in five years. If she grows up and isn't conventionally beautiful, she'll only be offered sidekick roles.

I'm curious to see what happens with the Disney crowd, like Miley Cyrus and the HSM gang, in a couple of years. Most of the HSM cast will probably fade into obscurity, especially Vanessa Hudgens (like Nightraven said, with Efron it depends on what choices he starts making now) who IMO isn't that great an actress. I imagine Miley will end up like the Olsen twins-- pandering to the tween crowd, until fading into relative obscurity, only remaining in the tabloids because of her real-life exploits. (Sorry if that's a bit bleak, guys-- but of course, Miley has her music.)

ETA:
What are your opinions on the Gossip Girl cast? I know Ed Westwick is playing Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, but have no idea whether the others will make a leap to being big-time movie stars after the show is over.

Edited by Enigma13, Jun 16, 2009 @ 7:45 AM.

Craphole Island

Craphole Island

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 10:56 AM

Hm. I guess I'm confused. People like Zooey Deschanel and especially Jessica Alba and James Franco, I would already consider pretty established.

Oh don't get me wrong, they most certainly are. However, I'm just curious as to who everyone thinks will actually still be here in 15 years. I don't want to say "Who will be the next Tom Hanks?" but I guess, essentially my question is similar to that.

What are your opinions on the Gossip Girl cast? I know Ed Westwick is playing Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, but have no idea whether the others will make a leap to being big-time movie stars after the show is over.

I have only seen a few episodes here and there, but I thought Leighton Meester was the most talented of the bunch, or at least more talented than Blake Lively. I know she has a few movies coming out, including an ensemble comedy with Tina Fey and Steve Carrell, so she seems to be doing alright. Blake and Chace Crawford didn't appear to be as talented as the rest of them when I watched, but he has Footloose in the making so I think we will have an idea of his movie star status depending on that movie's earnings and reviews. I really like Penn Bagdley (sp?) but I don't know what he has going on as far as movies go, same can be said for Ed Westwick.

Midnightsunrise

Midnightsunrise

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 11:29 AM

I think Leighton Meester and Chase Crowford, will be the breakouts of Gossip Girl. Leighton, is really talented and beautiful and has some intresting projects comming up and she is the most talented, I feel of the cast.
Chase has alot going for him right now, he is good looking, starring in Foot Loose and seems to be the one is the cast most likely to leave early, to start a film career. I think Ed Westwick is the best actor of the guys, but I am not sure what kind of career he will have. I see him being more of the one to stick to the indie and british films. I think Blake Lively is pretty but she I think will be stuck in more teen roles and I really cannot see her or Pen Badgely, making it big when the show ends.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 11:31 AM

(see: Rachel McAdams and Anne Hathaway.)

I like them both. I'm happy seeing McAdams in films again. It's strange to think of someone like McAdams or Alba or Deschanel as upcoming since they've seem to have been around for awhile. Alba I think lasted a lot longer than anyone really expected her too.

I can't imagine Megan Fox lasting nearly as long as Alba mostly because her superior/edgy attitude can only go so far.

I can imagine Anton Yelchin doing something good. This might be a controversial choice but after seeing The Informers, I think with some decent choices, Amber Heard has potential. I also think Evan Rachel Wood and Amanda Seyfried are pretty talented and can have a career. I think Evan Rachel Wood can be every bit as fiesty and tough as sexy as Megan Fox tries to be but chooses not to.

I can think of more actress futures right now than actor futures.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 1:08 PM

I just borrowed a big coffee table book 501 movie stars that list movie stars mostly US but some from other countries by order of their birthdays, starting from the late 1800s to the most recent. Looking through it I've come to the conclusion on some things:

I don't think you can be a true male movie star you reach at least thirty. There are exceptions Valentino, James Dean, River Phoenix, Leo. In those cases they represent a vitality youth and most die early. You had to become a real man to become a movie star. William Holden was about 20 when he made his debut in Golden Boy but didn't actually become a big star until Sunset Boulevard a decade later. The average male movie star can at be on top for at least thirty years. An actress can become a movie star earlier, when she's in her twenties but their careers usually span shorter until they're late forties.

Today, most men become real movie stars in their late thirties and early forties while women become real stars in their early thirties and last much longer into their fifties. Maybe this is because actors today don't seem as mature now as men back in the old days. They haven't gone to war or been through a Depression. Robert Downey Jr. was always a great actor but only recently became a big star, and in his case went through years of rehab and a drug problem and arrests. With women, I think there are so many young women becoming famous and being exposed(in every sense of the word) and so many starlets and ingenues, that true stardom for a woman doesn't happen until they act in something truly exceptional which is usually in their early thirties. And women can be seen as sexy as vital much later in late middle age, which wasn't the case in old Hollywood.

Edited by Limbonaut, Jun 16, 2009 @ 1:12 PM.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 1:44 PM

Ok, so these aren't really movie star picks. These are "I think these people will have successful careers" picks. Like, they may not ever be big box office draws, but they'll rarely be hurting for good roles.

I think Emily Blunt could be around for the long haul. About 5 years ago, I saw My Summer of Love on a whim knowing nothing about it and I've been a fan of hers ever since. I hope she gets a chance to have a more dramatic performance do well in the States because she seems to have the Next Comedic Big Thing tag in America. Not that she's not great at comedy, but the first few things I saw her in were dramas and she was outstanding.

I know Brian Cranston gets all the love for Breaking Bad, but Aaron Paul is flat out amazing on the show and I hope he gets some love. He's also great on Big Love playing the polar opposite of his BB charcter. He's had a bunch of TV show guest spots and has been in a handful of movies and I hope the guy has a very long, very successful career. I would love to seen him and Ben Foster play siblings in something. I would die an go to movie heaven.

I am weirdly curious about what happens with Dakota Fanning because she's at that age where there aren't very many interesting parts floating around. It's supposed to come out in 2010, but I wonder if the studio PTB are gonna push the Twilight/KS/DF angle once they start working on advertising for The Runaways? Do the tweeners who love Twilight even know who The Runaways are?

Oh, and ditto on the Zooey Deschanel, Joeseph Gordon-Levitt, Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Evan Rachel Wood choices. Though, to me, they are already in the middle of successful careers.

Edited by hardy har, Jun 16, 2009 @ 1:45 PM.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 2:41 PM

As far as Megan Fox goes, she will have the same career as Alba, I think. I dont see her as the next Angelina and I honestly dont see the comparison. Megan replaced Jessica Alba and in a few years some one will come along and replace Megan.

Yea I don't think basing your career on being a "hot young actress" is sustainable at all. Especially since Megan Fox hasn't really done anything of note since the last Transformers movie. I have to think if she had more to offer than just being young and hot she would have done something since the first movie, you know used the exposure she got to get other work. But if that is all she has I have to think that somewhere there is a younger and hotter actress with a similar level of talent (who will work for less money) just waiting to be discovered and start stealing the post Transformers roles from Fox.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2009 @ 6:35 PM

Ater the stellar work he did in Generation Kill, I'm really hoping for Stark Sands to get more high profile work. I know that his real gift is playing vulnerable (those eyes are so expressive), and being so young-looking and pretty, his roles would probably be limited to sensitive and/or wounded young men, but he was believably badass as Lt. Fick, which should open up some different opportunities.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 2:50 PM

Regarding Dakota Fanning, she has been cast in the next Twilight movie, and is playing Cherie Currie in the movie about The Runaways. Now, the former is still tween fodder, but the latter could definitely be a transitional role for her. Currie was certainly no angel, even at the young age of 15 when the band started, so IMO it'll be a more grown-up role for Fanning.

Yea I don't think basing your career on being a "hot young actress" is sustainable at all. Especially since Megan Fox hasn't really done anything of note since the last Transformers movie. I have to think if she had more to offer than just being young and hot she would have done something since the first movie, you know used the exposure she got to get other work. But if that is all she has I have to think that somewhere there is a younger and hotter actress with a similar level of talent (who will work for less money) just waiting to be discovered and start stealing the post Transformers roles from Fox.

ITA. I find it odd that everyone's referring to her as the next Angelina Jolie. While there is some physical resemblance (I think Fox is actually prettier, but that's just me), Angelina showed some pretty good acting chops even in her earlier roles. Fox just mostly stares blankly and tries to look hot.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 3:04 PM

Angelina showed some pretty good acting chops even in her earlier roles. Fox just mostly stares blankly and tries to look hot.

Jolie also took on more challenging and quirky roles like in Hackers while, like you said, Megan Fox just stands there and looks hot. And I don't consider Transformers in the same league as Hackers because the former never taught me that when you hack into computers you actually fly through the machine. And I don't know if I'll consider Jennifer's Body "quirky" because, if Juno was any indication, Diablo Cody tries so damned hard to be over the top hip that the film loses any quirkiness it might have had at some point.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, Jun 17, 2009 @ 3:07 PM.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 3:10 PM

ITA. I find it odd that everyone's referring to her as the next Angelina Jolie. While there is some physical resemblance (I think Fox is actually prettier, but that's just me), Angelina showed some pretty good acting chops even in her earlier roles. Fox just mostly stares blankly and tries to look hot.

I see her following more of a Denise Richards style hot girl career path rather than the Angelina Jolie hot girl career path. The problem with basing your whole career on your hotness is that the older you get usually the less hot you get but at the same time the more movies you are in usually the more money your agent will want for you to be in a movie. But if your hotness is decreasing and you don't have anything else to offer there really isn’t any reason for producers to pay you more. When they can get the same quality actress for less money.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 3:14 PM

I think in two, maybe three years Megan Fox will take one of those roles that will either catapult her or completely destroy her, like Showgirls.

Scort

Scort

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 6:11 PM

As a good actor,I think the most important point is the skills of action.He/she may not handsome or beautiful,but when he/she plays a role,it would make us believe that he/she is the role not playing.

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Jun 17, 2009 @ 8:08 PM.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2009 @ 11:43 PM

Jennifer's Body might be quite indicative of Megan Fox's future, because in Transformers all she was supposed to do was look hot, whereas in JB I think she's actually supposed to act.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 18, 2009 @ 2:16 AM

Jennifer's Body might be quite indicative of Megan Fox's future, because in Transformers all she was supposed to do was look hot, whereas in JB I think she's actually supposed to act.

True. And also, while I don't think it will be a great film, I think the upcoming Jonah Hex could be another test, since her co-stars are a bunch of Oscar-nominated actors, like Josh Brolin, John Malkovich, and Michael Shannon. By no means do I don't expect her to outshine them, but she will have to at least keep up with them somewhat, and not stick out like a sore thumb. Of course, I sadly suspect that acting probably won't be a factor in the movie either, and her role is basically to just look hot in a corset, while Brolin shoots people and acts manly.

shanaynay

shanaynay

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2009 @ 7:37 AM

I just read an interview with Megan Fox, and she addresses the whole "next Angelina Jolie" thing. She pretty much states the same thing you did. How Angelina did a whole lot of serious roles before Tomb Raider, and all she [Megan] has really done is Transformers. She ended it by saying she never wants to meet Angelina because "I'd be embarrassed."

redrose101

redrose101

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2009 @ 1:44 AM

I don't think you can be a true male movie star you reach at least thirty. There are exceptions Valentino, James Dean, River Phoenix, Leo. In those cases they represent a vitality youth and most die early. You had to become a real man to become a movie star. William Holden was about 20 when he made his debut in Golden Boy but didn't actually become a big star until Sunset Boulevard a decade later. The average male movie star can at be on top for at least thirty years. An actress can become a movie star earlier, when she's in her twenties but their careers usually span shorter until they're late forties.

ITA. I mean, look at George Clooney; the man did not catch a break until when he was in his 30's and landed the ER role, and then I think he had to have been either late 30's/early 40's when he became a movie star. And James McAvoy, while he looks like he is 20, I think is actually closer to 30. Of course, like you said, there are exceptions, but it seems like established male movie stars really don't hit their stride until their 30's. A lot of the younger, pretty boys (ex. Orlando Bloom, heck has anyone even heard from Jude Law at all?), seemed to have faded out.

Sadly, the life span is shorter for women in Hollywood; I think a lot of character actresses will in the long run have a more lasting career than the ingenue-of-the-month. Look how many oscar winning actresses have seemed to start to fade out now that they are reaching the twilight of their 30's (not that I condone this; I still think they look beautiful)....Nicole Kidman/Renee Zellweger/Charlize Theron/Halle Berry/Cameron Diaz. I think Rachel McAdams will be around; perhaps not a STAR, but she is talented enough to always find work. Zooey Deschanel could have a good career b/c she is interesting and does different roles. I think some actresses have already kind of had their moment (Scarlett Johannsson...as beautiful as she is; seems to regress in every role she's been in since Lost in Translation).

As for comedic actors, I think the problem is that a lot of talented, funny people get sort of pigeon holed into the same gag roles, so ppl get sick of it after the 9th/10th movie (i.e. Will Farrell). I can see Michael Cera using his nervous/awkward schtick for a few more years, but unless he does something different, ppl will tire of it. Same is true for Seth Rogen, etc., they gotta start finding more dynamic roles.

This post seems a little more negative than I intended. Honestly, this is all my speculation, and I'm usually wrong about these things so who knows?

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2009 @ 2:44 AM

the twilight of their 30's

I'm really not sure what this means. 30 is not anywhere near as "old" as it was once considered to be, even in Hollywood.

James McAvoy is just 30, actually. But he's been doing fantastic work since his teens. I can't imagine anything that would prevent a long and healthy career for him.

A lot of the younger, pretty boys (ex. Orlando Bloom, heck has anyone even heard from Jude Law at all?), seemed to have faded out.

How are we defining "younger"? Because these lads are both in their 30's now (Law is 36, in fact) and Jude Law, too, has been doing consistently good work for at least the last 10 years - since he breakout role in Wilde. True, his films as a whole are sometimes hit or miss, but Jude Law's own performance is always good.

Someone who I think has done a great job transitioning into "legitimacy" is Anne Hathaway. I actually couldn't believe she is still only 26. She has made excellent choices.
Another is Scarlett Johanssen, who made an almost seamless transition from child actor to adult star. She seems to have been around so long - and worked with so many greats - it's hard to believe she's still only 24. I definitely think these two have "staying power".

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jun 20, 2009 @ 3:32 AM

The thing with Dakota Fanning, though, is that even though she's a good actress (or at least she was as a child, I haven't seen her in anything recently), her available career pathways sadly depend on whether she turns out awkward-looking or Hollywood Beautiful™ in five years. If she grows up and isn't conventionally beautiful, she'll only be offered sidekick roles.

If this recent photo is any indication, Dakota Fanning is not going to have any problem looking Hollywood Conventional. Man. I was NOT expecting her to turn out like that. I still think Taylor Momsen should have gotten Cherry Curie over her...oh, well.

I think Rachel McAdams will be like Diane Lane- never really a big star, but someone who does pretty good work every now and then.

Jessica Alba's day is done, I think. Jessica Biel- I think, might have a shot- because I get the feeling that she's someone who really does want to do good work. I could see Biel pulling a Charlize Theron someday.

Nightraven

Nightraven

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2009 @ 1:04 PM

If this recent photo is any indication, Dakota Fanning is not going to have any problem looking Hollywood Conventional. Man. I was NOT expecting her to turn out like that.

Shes decent looking. Nothing outstanding, but not bad. But she is only what, 15? 16? Most girls look cute at that age.
Unfortunatly the jury is still out until she gets into her early 20s.

askew

askew

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2009 @ 7:30 PM

I guess it depends on what you mean by shine. There is a big difference between the next Jessica Alba and the next Julia Roberts. Same with the next Ryan Reynolds and the next Brad Pitt. It seems like the studios have been trying to find the next Julia and Brad for a decade without success. Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, Kate Hudson, Rene Zwellger and Drew Barrymore have all tried to be as successful as Julia. Only Sandra and Reese have come close. Out of the younger generation the best bet for the next Julia would be Anne Hathaway or Katherine Heigl. They both have had some box office success. Amy Adams and the other redhead have had to many flops to be the next Julia. The next Kate Hudson maybe.

As for Brad Pitt, the studios have tried Jude Law, Hugh Jackman, Eric Bana, Christian Bale and Clive Owen. None of these guys can sell a movie on their own unless it is part of a franchise. James Franco or Shia seem the most likely to be the next Brad right now. He's hot, can act and appeals to men and women.

Midnightsunrise

Midnightsunrise

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2009 @ 7:51 PM

I don't think you can be a true male movie star you reach at least thirty. There are exceptions Valentino, James Dean, River Phoenix, Leo. In those cases they represent a vitality youth and most die early.

I agree with this and I would add Heath Ledger to the list. He died when he was 28 and was on the fast track, to superstar states with The Dark Knight. He made more films then James Dean and River Phoenix, and I would argue he was as talented and charismatic, as both of them, maybey even more so. He showed alot of range in his career and he was taken serious as a movie star, and his death I felt was even bigger then River Phoenix (who I felt was bigger then James Dean for his generation>)River was a hard core addict and while very sad, his death was hardly a shock and by the time of his death, his film roles had fizzed a bit more, although he was on tap for Interview With The Vampire. With Heath his death was not only shocking, it happened before The Dark Knight was relesed and it added to hype and just massive acclaim he recieved and such sadness at what was lost. Brandon Lee from The Crow, showed he too was posed to be a breakout star but his sad death at 28, while still filming The Crow, cut short his life and potential.

Leo Decaprio has always been one of my favorite and I see him lasting for a very time. You eaither have talent or you do not and he sure has it, along with range and charisma. He has really made an impressive transition from teen hearthrob back in Romeo&Juliett and Titantic and has become a respect adult actor.

Edited by Midnightsunrise, Jun 20, 2009 @ 7:53 PM.