Tosh-O: Daniel Tosh, the New Joel McHale?

• Please log in to reply

87 replies to this topic

Talov

Talov

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2009 @ 5:13 PM

Comedy Central has it's own web version of the Soup, "Tosh-O", starring another comedian Daniel Tosh. The show airs every Thursday nights @10. I saw a couple episodes and it was decent, but it could improve. Carrie Prejean was on the recent one. Thoughts?

alynn

alynn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2009 @ 12:21 AM

I saw it, but I wasn't a fan. Daniel Tosh seemed stiff and unfunny, and parts of it seemed so obviously laugh tracked that I didn't even believe there was an audience there. The format is moderately foolproof, though, so it's possible that it'll be better, but it didn't make me laugh enough to want to stick around and wait for it to get better. Seeking out the subjects of the web videos is a pretty good idea, but I thought the bit with the teen Miss SC was lame.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2009 @ 12:01 PM

I guess it's okay, but some of the clips were too gross for me.

The Plot Device

The Plot Device

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2009 @ 6:14 PM

As a fan of Tosh' comedy I've given this show two episodes so far and haven't been impressed. Even in his act, Tosh points out his style of comedy is to draw out a joke until only 1 person knows what he is talking about. So when he has to do a quick one liner, it does come off like Bob Saget on America's Funniest Home Videos, especially with the laugh track.

When he gets to do a longer, more drawn out riff like on the video of the girl falling off the motorcycle mid-wheelie, it works because that plays to his strength.

The "celebrity" viral video webcam thing has to end. They are the kind of things that would be voted to die on Funny or Die if they weren't immune because of "celebrity."

I like the idea of internet redemption, but I thought Weezer's Pork and Beans video did that for both Afro Ninja and Miss SC already.

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 9:38 AM

I like the idea of internet redemption, but I thought Weezer's Pork and Beans video did that for both Afro Ninja and Miss SC already.

I think this is probably the best part of the show, although I like it when he gives himself a minute to throw out as many jokes as possible for various clips.

I thought what he did with those two made them look a lot better than the Weezer video, which really didn't do much for either of them. I did like how excited he got when he got Afro Ninja to redo the stunts, and then even did a flip himself.

That's what I like is that while he clowns and goofs at the people of these clips, he's really inserting himself in there in a way that makes him laugh WITH them as opposed to making totally goofy fun at their expense. There's a bit of that, but he seems to thrilled to be shooting anything with them, that his excitement is infectuous. He's so excited just to talk to them, it's pretty funny. And when you do laugh at them, you're also laughing at Daniel as well, so he's kind of taking some of their ridicule on himself. And while it even might be funny to see him take shots at these youtube phenomenons, it's actually more entertaining the way he does it. It even brings us in there with him. I liked when he was hanging out with the Balloon Guy, who had such a quirky personality and unusual voice, the guy is almost asking to be ripped up by a standup. Yet the guy managed to hilariously torpedo a Steve Erkel joke Tosh was implying, and Tosh was just enamored with him. "You may be my favorite person on this planet. Hands down." And when the guy was doing the balloon bit, Tosh was all worked up and cheering and wound up for the guy. Funny.

Edited by Wacoshade, Aug 3, 2009 @ 9:38 AM.

Phenobarbara

Phenobarbara

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2009 @ 4:32 PM

I wasn't impressed with him when I saw a few of his stand up routines on Comedy Central and I definitely didn't like this show.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Aug 5, 2009 @ 6:20 PM

I love Daniel Tosh and I think he's hilarious. Tosh-0 sucks however. I've tried watching it and flip through the channels during commercials and never flip back.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2009 @ 6:16 AM

The only part of the show I can do without is the celebrity video segment, because it is rarely (if ever) funny.

Otherwise, is Tosh that accessible a comedian, to where many can appreciate his sense of humor? He strikes me as more an acquired taste. I like him, but I wonder if others find him off-putting.

vampdeath

vampdeath

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2009 @ 11:41 PM

I remember back when The Soup came on people were saying most of the same things about Joel McHale sucking and comparing him unfavorably to all the other Talk Soup hosts. And now everyone loves him. So I think all it takes is time to make the show flow more naturally.

trox50

trox50

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 18, 2009 @ 5:51 PM

I think this show is actually a tad funnier than "the Soup", and several orders of magnitude better than the very mediocre "Web Soup".

There is just so much better material available for an internet clips show, and Daniel Tosh has a fresh, irreverent, and well paced take on many of the videos.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2009 @ 2:27 PM

The actress who had to kiss Tron Guy deserves hazard pay.

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2009 @ 9:30 AM

I could not believe how that Belgian mall dude roundhouse kicked that prank show guy in the face! That was unbelievable. What's funny when you watch the rest of the clip is how mad the guy is who was I guess the original prank target. Very stupid prank, throwing some kind of green string or something on people? Whatever.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 10:53 PM

Just when I think that Joel McHale ("The Soup") is a mean jerk (in a good way), Daniel Tosh's brand of Entitled Guy commentary takes insufferable to whole new level (again, in a good way - most of the time).

Does anyone remember the "Is It Racist" segment, where the "rapper" guy was going on about all the stuff he had, followed by Tosh doing an Entitled Guy version, flaunting his college degree and investment account? Apparently, that guy has filed suit, because the clip is no longer seen on the show's website. Tosh even stated that a suit was filed, though he didn't mention this particular clip.

Amazing how people try to brag about what they have, putting it out for public display, then get all sensitive when others make fun of them.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2010 @ 12:33 AM

I like this show. Sure, it's not The Soup, but we need a Web Crap show that's legitimately funny.

There's one thing I do enjoy: Daniel always mentions a canceled Comedy Central Show instead of Tosh.0 before going to the commercial at the second act. Tonight's was The Man Show (w/Joe Rogan & Doug Stanhope), but I've heard Shorties Watching Shorties, Drawn Together, Krod Mandoon, and Lounge Lizards. I know there's one for each episode, but I've since forgotten them.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2010 @ 1:40 AM

I've only watched this show a few times, and I don't know what the overall quality is. But I have usually not seen whatever videos he's featuring, so my first impression is that the format works best if you either watch it to catch whatever insane stuff is making the rounds, or if you're over-saturated by that stuff and can appreciate someone finishing it off once and for all.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2010 @ 3:08 AM

But I have usually not seen whatever videos he's featuring, so my first impression is that the format works best if you either watch it to catch whatever insane stuff is making the rounds, or if you're over-saturated by that stuff and can appreciate someone finishing it off once and for all.

Or, like me, both! There's a lot of stuff I haven't seen (ie, tonight's spotlight on the Epic Beard Man & the web redemption of the "Make It Snow" Girl), and he just rips on the stuff I have.

Tonight's defunct Comedy Central Shoutout was to Strangers With Candy! Yes, like I said in my last post, I keep track of this one.

As for the spotlight of the "grossest thing ever?" It was a minute full of Eye Screams. Gaah! The guy with an empty eye socket kept me screaming for about 5 minutes...

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2010 @ 12:11 AM

Yeah, usually when I hear about network meddling, I think the network is wrong. But Ye Gods, I think they were right to move the freaky eyeballs to the end of the show.

kimberly617

kimberly617

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2010 @ 12:17 AM

OH, I loved the way that Daniel was with the baseball fan web redemtion. He was so adorable with that little girl Emily. The tea party fairy wings and they way he was playing tea with her was so cute.

Cap Streeter

Cap Streeter

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2010 @ 3:09 AM

"Agree but I think he is one smart bastard for putting that up as his last show before he goes on hiatus to go on tour. Basically he goes on tour, there's some fans waiting to talk to him after the show. One happens to be a comely lady (or gentleman?), seems unsure to trust this comedian but then remembers he had a tea party in fairy wings with an adorable little girl. Guy's getting laid.

I'm sort of going to miss casual jackets, simply because of the way he said it. I'm hoping for button up shirt and ascot to be next.

Natural510

Natural510

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2010 @ 8:55 PM

I think he's one of the funniest people on television right now. He can make 20 jokes on 10 seconds of material and not wear himself thin. And yea, the Philly fan redemption is my favorite as well. Dude can say the most vulgar things imaginable and make grown people cry, while still charming little girls and strangely being a guy you'd feel comfortable with watching your kids.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 9:45 PM

I wasn't going to watch this regularly, but I caught the new episode and loved it, so now it's on my DVR for the season. The way he dealt with the "horse vs moth" sales guy was great. He just wouldn't back down! I don't know why I liked it, but I did. Also, the side-saddle motorcycles? Tosh made it out to be more dangerous, which I guess it is, but to me I kept seeing Victorian ladies.

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2010 @ 1:04 AM

When Samwell and Queens of the Stone Age guy were doing the acoustic version of "What What in the Butt," and Tosh started dancing in the background with the "No Ha8e" t-shirt and taped mouth, I laughed so loud my cat ran out of my bedroom.

lmiller42

lmiller42

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 3, 2010 @ 2:23 PM

<Delurking>Am I one of the only three people in the country to watch this show? There are times I can't watch or I'll gag, but mostly I think Daniel is totally hilarious. And hot. And a hundred thousand times funnier than short, non-funny Chris Hardwick from Web Soup.

Also, my husband had a brush w/greatness in the first or second ep of the season, because his Twitter comment made it on the show. He had pretty much the only one that wasn't bleeped.</delurking>

Natural510

Natural510

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 5, 2010 @ 1:26 AM

Nope you're not the only ones. My wife & I watch religiously o that makes four :-)

Sleepwalker12

Sleepwalker12

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2010 @ 3:16 AM

Me and My husband watch it too! Tosh.O > Web Soup by leaps and bounds. I can't even stand the Web Soup commercials with Hardwick doing his stupid little dance.

WahWahWah

WahWahWah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 5, 2010 @ 11:18 AM

I like these kinds of shows way too much and my ranking is: Tosh.0, Infomania, Soup, then WebSoup. Ever since the Asians doing Christopher Walken impressions, they had me!

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

We're definitely not the only ones watching. I only just caught on to this myself.

http://www.reuters.c...E66B47T20100712

ivgotspirit02

ivgotspirit02

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 15, 2010 @ 8:25 AM

I discovered Daniel Tosh on a lonely Friday night with a Comedy Central Presents marathon. I fell in love and showed it to my husband and we preceded to purchase his DVDs, CDs and tickets to his performances. And THEN he got his own show!!!

Yes, we watch it every week lol. And we're seeing him perform live on the Tosh Tour 2010. And I may or may not have just had a sex dream about him....

But I digress.

Last's night episode was great as usual! Looooved the interrogation with the guy from Police Academy lol.

slasherboy

slasherboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 11:13 PM

Add me as a loyal watcher! I LOVE DT.O and agree that he's hot. What makes that extra weird is that he looks and talks EXACTLY like my pastor from when I lived in Colorado. Honest to God. And you know, his own father was/is a minister.

Spoooooooky!!!

Ghyxion

Ghyxion

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 7:30 PM

I like these kinds of shows way too much and my ranking is: Tosh.0, Infomania, Soup, then WebSoup. Ever since the Asians doing Christopher Walken impressions, they had me!

I just found Infomania a few weeks ago so now Tosh, Soup, WebSoup, The Dish, and Infomania alternate in ranking depending on what strikes me as funniest that week.

Edited by Ghyxion, Jul 18, 2010 @ 7:41 PM.