11-1: "The Time Warrior"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7 replies to this topic

Raksha

Raksha

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2009 @ 3:19 AM

Sarah Jane's first episode! I can't get over how baby faced she is in this ep! I just want to pinch her cheeks. She was sassy, independent, capable, and smart right out of the gate. It's easy to see how she became such a fan favorite. I especially loved the bits where she was trying to come up with some kind of rational explanation for the way Irongron and Bloodaxe were acting, not knowing she'd actually gone back in time. I also loved her trying to give a feminism pep talk to the women in the kitchen. Heh. Time travel n00b.

I've never been terribly fond of the Sontarans, mostly because I spent pretty much my entire childhood being bored to tears by the Klingons and their whole stupid warrior culture. Any sci-fi "warrior race" gets an immediate eyeroll from me, although I'll give the Sontarans credit for being more upfront and honest about their bloodlust and imperialism, which the Klingons always tried to mask with blather about "honor" and "tradition." I will say, however, that the relationship between Linx and Irongron was an interesting one. I liked all the layers of mutual contempt and faux friendliness between the two, with a bonus little "dance, monkey, dance!" amusement on Linx's part. Also, the Sontaran makeup was much, much better than it later became in "The Two Doctors" which I watched only a few weeks ago. At least this mask was actually attached to the actor's face around the mouth and eyes!

I think my favorite image from the whole story was the suave, sophisticated looking Doctor lobbing home made stink bombs over a castle wall onto the wannabe invaders! It just made me giggle, for some reason. I also end up giggling whenever he breaks out his completely awesome Venusian Aikido because I half expect him to yell "Hikeeba!" You know what would be freaking hilarious? If Eleven decides he wants to take up the Venusian Aikido again, but it's been so long since he's done it that he's completely out of practice and it becomes a running joke about him being so bad at all these moves he tries to bust out when in danger. The chances of that happening are slim to none, but I'd laugh and laugh for days.

Speaking of the new series, I couldn't help but think that if this story had been set in the new series, the Doctor would have a huge freakout about Linx giving guns to people in the Middle Ages and there'd be a big, probably funny, speech about the effect that would have on the timeline. While Three was basically just like "It's bad" and just takes it for granted that everyone else would understand how bad it would be if things were allowed to continue because, well, duh!, I could practically see Ten jumping around all wide eyed and running his hands through his hair all in a snit. And then I laughed some more. I'm very sleep deprived today, so maybe that's why I'm laughing so much, but I think it's just a fun little story that reminds me of other things that are awesome as well.

All in all, an afternoon well spent.

Edited by Raksha, Jun 11, 2009 @ 3:22 AM.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2009 @ 9:16 AM

"He who strikes Irongron dies!"

I've been watching a few Three stories lately and it has given me a new appreciation for him. He was very protective of the companions, and that was so nice to see--in contrast to kissing them as seems to be the norm now. Yes, I am a ten year-old boy when I watch this show and kissing is all, "EWWWWW!!!"

SJS just rocks. Period. She was the start of a new kind of companion for The Doctor. If not for her, we might not have had Rose.

Raksha

Raksha

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2009 @ 1:34 AM

He was very protective of the companions, and that was so nice to see--in contrast to kissing them as seems to be the norm now.

Heh. Yeah, he does seem to have turned into a bit of a lech in his old age. At this point, it seems to be a running joke (and I'll admit, it makes me giggle) that he seems to be kissing nearly every damn one of his Companions for some reason or another. He needs to hurry up and kiss Captain Jack while he still can.

But yeah, Three's protectiveness of his Companions is very sweet. He seems very gentle with them in a way that most of the other Doctors just aren't, no matter how fond they are of their Companions. Sarah Jane made a perfectly understandable mistake in this episode when she believed that Three was in league with Irongron (and how awesome was it that she went and found someone to help her carry out a plan to defeat them?), but I cringe to think what Four, Nine, or (Gods forbid!) Six would have said to her about it. They wouldn't have held it against her, of course, and would have been impressed with her plan to defeat the baddies, but there would have been some Time Lordly ranting going on as well. Three was just plain set her straight with nary an eyeroll in sight! But really I already knew he had the patience of a saint, since he put up with Jo "Doctor, I Can't!" Grant for so long. As much as she annoyed me, Three's clear affection for her was sweet.

I've only ever seen Sarah Jane with Four up until now, but just from this story I'm already interested to see what her relationship with Three was like. I think I'll like it.

Speaking of relationships with companions, Bloodaxe's hero worship of Irongron was hilarious and kind of cute, in a gross and disfunctional sort of way. He thought dumbass Irongron was the bee's knees!

Edited by Raksha, Jun 12, 2009 @ 1:36 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2010 @ 5:52 PM

I got this on DVD, and here's what I don't get: how can Sarah Jane stow away in the TARDIS and not have a freakout? If you're new to the show, you'd think she just hid in a corner of a magic police box. And how could the Doctor not know she was in there?

Good story. I'm not bothered that Sontarans don't look as nasty as Linx. Maybe they get hairy and crap when they're on a backwater world or something. Sarah Jane does come off badly at first, but she makes up for it later. Weird that it takes over two years for another S11 story ("The Monster Of Peladon") to come out on DVD. I'm also surprised Irongron didn't choke on the scenery.

Finally, the faraway scene where the Doctor does the "look at my hands" schtick for the guards before knocking them out? That was classic . . . I actually had to rewind and play it back.

You know what would be freaking hilarious? If Eleven decides he wants to take up the Venusian Aikido again, but it's been so long since he's done it that he's completely out of practice and it becomes a running joke about him being so bad at all these moves he tries to bust out when in danger.

Judging from the teaser trailer, Eleven seems to go for the uppercut, but I know what you mean.

suerterana

suerterana

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2010 @ 10:11 AM

I love her comando raid and everyone in middle ages England liked it too!! She also changed into a Robin Hood outfit (LOL). I did enjoy Sarah's first. Lots of people enter the Tardis without the Doctor knowing, apparently

4 I doubt would have had problem with anything. 9 probably won't have minded. I don't know 6.
The real problem is 10. Ten would have whinned and been annoyed. Ten seems to have forgotten the Venian Akido.

teflonwoman

teflonwoman

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 8:44 AM

My fourth ever Old Who episode (well, not counting some episodes I saw when I was too young to remember them):

When I first saw the title, I thought it was referring to the Doctor, and I was surprised to see them calling him as a warrior (especially given Eleven's S6 storyline). Then I realized it wasn't him...

Sarah Jane! Very exciting to get to see the Doctor meet Sarah Jane. I'm looking forward to seeing how their relationship develops.

Ouch: The 13th-century scenes are painful to watch, especially Irongron: His acting is as bad as his wig. The serving wench is pretty horrible too. It's like they thought they were in a Monty Python skit.

That Sontaran is super ugly. Ew.

I like the fact that Sarah Jane initially thought the Doctor was a bad guy. But her clothes are awful, especially compared to Jo's. (Really, if you're going to watch a show made in 1973, the clothes had better make up for the special effects.) Speaking of clothes, there is no way her pageboy outfit fit under that pretty dress she was wearing. And where did her suit suddenly come from at the end?

Why were the fight scenes shot from so far away?
And why does the Doctor run like a girl? For that matter, why does he walk like a girl? He's so... twee (I couldn't resist).

Lantern7: I wondered the same thing about SJ's experience in the TARDIS. I fanwanked it by saying that she's snuck into a cutting-edge military science facility, so she's expecting things to be out of the ordinary. But I do think it says a lot for her character's ability to deal with the unexpected.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 6:39 PM

Why were the fight scenes shot from so far away?
And why does the Doctor run like a girl? For that matter, why does he walk like a girl? He's so... twee (I couldn't resist

To better hide Pertwee's stuntman.

Well, Jon had injured himself parasailing in the off season (almost died) and was in a lot of pain during his last season. Because of the back injury, he wore a truss. So, his walking and running were a bit compromised.

Boba Fett also appears in the story. Or the actor who went on to be Fett.

teflonwoman

teflonwoman

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 8:51 PM

Oh! I feel terrible! Here I thought it was just the actor's natural carriage.