S5 - Evan Kasprzak: Gene Kelly Would Be Proud

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

318 replies to this topic

Chef Girl

Chef Girl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 5:20 PM

Once he finishes getting his college degree in musical theatre, Evan will be moving to New York City and trying out on Broadway.

A bit far from Broadway but it appears that Evan is going the Donny Osmond route and starring in Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in Kansas City at this rather upscale-looking dinner theater:

http://www.newtheatre.com/home.html

The show opens next week. Actually, not sure if he'll be Joseph or if they're breaking with tradition and using Evan as the narrator. His Facebook profile states he's also helping to choreograph the show.

totes4totes

totes4totes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 8:47 PM

I am from Kansas City, but I am gone for the summer and can't go see it. That is legit baller though.

GinevradiBenci

GinevradiBenci

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 9:05 AM

According to his facebook, Evan's going to be in a stage version of Newsies:

I was 5 years old when the Disney musical movie "Newsies" came out. My brothers and I watched it so many times I would run round the house singing the songs and saying the lines. Two weeks from today I start rehearsals for the Disney premier of the stage version of "Newsies" at the Papermill. It took 19 years but I am ecstatic I finally get to be a real Newsie!

soulkissage

soulkissage

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 11:32 AM

:) I'm glad he's working :)

kimmykaybee

kimmykaybee

Fanatic

• Interests:Favorite tv shows: <br />Survivor<br />So You Think You Can Dance<br />Pretty Little Liars<br />Dancing With the Stars

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 11:53 AM

I was 5 years old when the Disney musical movie "Newsies" came out. My brothers and I watched it so many times I would run round the house singing the songs and saying the lines. Two weeks from today I start rehearsals for the Disney premier of the stage version of "Newsies" at the Papermill. It took 19 years but I am ecstatic I finally get to be a real Newsie!

Aw, that is too cute, regarding Evan watching and singing Newsies songs when he was 5 years old. I'm glad to see Evan getting work and am happy that Evan finally "get(s) to be a real Newsie." I'm sure he'll be great. :)

Caribou

Caribou

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 1:00 PM

I thought I read somewhere Evan's brother is in Billy Elliott in Toronto. Can anyone confirm?

Canadian Bakin

Canadian Bakin

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 3:31 PM

He's part of the ensemble.

soulkissage

soulkissage

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

Ryan's also an associate Choreographer although I'm not sure it's listed on the site.

skettigirl

skettigirl

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 8, 2011 @ 12:27 AM

i was lucky enough to catch a performance of Newsies at the Paper Mill tonight. evan was fantastic! as was the show as a whole. i really hope this show goes to broadway and/or tours so that even more people can enjoy it!

CassandraRedux

CassandraRedux

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2011 @ 10:19 AM

Evan was featured prominently in the Newsies number in the Macy's parade this morning. Looked great!

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2011 @ 7:08 PM

There might be a clearer version out there somewhere, but this is all I could find of the Macy's performance. Evan, as always, is easy to pick out - even in this blurry version.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 25, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

It was so fun to see Evan on the parade spot. I think I read that the show will be on Broadway soon for a several months run. I'm so happy for Evan! I'd love to see some high quality clips from the show.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 26, 2011 @ 11:59 PM

Newsies is confirmed for a limited Broadway run in the spring (and if it does as well as predicted, it's likely to run longer) and it seems Evan will remain in the cast. They've apparently been playing to packed houses in the Paper Mill run. According to Jess' L.'s twitter, he too will be joining the Broadway cast, so Jess will get his desire to dance with the person "that inspires" him.

The cast recently performed on The View. Evan does a flip/turn thingy at about 2:15. He's wearing a short-sleeved shirt, if that makes it easier to spot him. It's a pretty big group.

Here, the cast thanks the "fansies". Evan looks very happy, doing what he loves to do! I'm excited for him.

Edited to add:

I didn't see this posted. This routine cracks me up:
Rent-a-Cop

Edited by LostLostLost, Dec 27, 2011 @ 12:18 AM.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2011 @ 12:00 PM

Since I don't think Evan's brother, Ryan, has his own thread, I'll put this here. Evan posted it with this comment:

I am not exactly sure what category of dancing this is, but I am sure my brother Ryan is seriously funny as the new Sun Drop guy. Congrats Bro!

SunDrop Dancer Girl

Hee.

Edited by LostLostLost, Dec 29, 2011 @ 12:06 PM.

mlda88

mlda88

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

The preview shows of Newsies have been getting enthusiastic reviews so far. The cast appeared on GMA this morning and you can spot Evan, along with Alex W., Jess L., and Thayne Jasperson,in the first half of the video:

Seize the Day

The cast has also recorded an album of the songs. Here's a photo of Evan and Alex at that session:
Evan, Alex

And from early rehearsals, I thought this photo of Evan and Alex was cute. There are thumbnails of more rehearsal photos in that album right below this photo:
Evan, Alex

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

Some interesting videos that feature Evan.

This is behind the scenes as the cast records the album, with a look at recording the tap sequences for one of the dances. Glimpses of brooms and spoons. Evan and Jess work out a little bit of their tap battle.
Newsies in the studio

At 1:05, Evan (with Alex) talks about the tap showdown with Jess. Thayne is interviewed as well.
Choreography

My favorite...an extended look at one of the tap numbers on performance night, although it's not the complete dance. Evan always looks so joyful when he dances!
King of New York

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

Today's clip from GMA, where one of the GMA hosts tries to learn a tap routine, etc. for Newsies. Evan helps him do a flip.

http://abcnews.go.co...laylist=2898870

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

Evan looks really cute in this photo:

Cast members at a fundraiser.

Also kind of cute: Evan apparently was determined not to go onto Twitter, but Alex forced him into it by creating an account for him and then challenging fans to get him 1,000 followers in 24 hours, which he did. He's actually using it, too.

Alex. :)

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Since this is unlikely to happen again, I thought I'd post the Tony performance for each of the four dancers in his own thread. I watched it several times to track each dancer. Evan is wearing a striped T-shirt with a dark band at the bottom of the short sleeves and an open vest. Helps to pick him out in the fast-moving shots.

I love how all four SYTYCD alums are lined up in front at 1:36. Evan is especially fierce at about 1:27. He always dances 100%!

Tony Awards performance, Newsies

Note: An HD option is available, so I recommend full screen.

Edited by LostLostLost, Jun 20, 2012 @ 11:13 AM.