S5 - Evan Kasprzak: Gene Kelly Would Be Proud

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

318 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 12:42 AM

He's the one in the hat, not the bald one.

splendourific

splendourific

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 5:16 AM

I absolutely adore him! He's so adorable, and his Gene Kelly moves make me swoon. I really hope he goes far.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 5:27 AM

I'm rooting for him if only so we can see more of "The Bowtie." But he's good in his own right too.

kwnyc

kwnyc

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 7:55 AM

Yah/Wah...

Cute kid, but I'd have loved to see Ryan make it as well. I know him slightly, and he's a nice guy, GREAT choreographer...everyone off-off wants him to work on their show.

I once shared a long car ride with him, and learned about the shim-sham-shimmy, Take the A Train, and why the West Side Story choreography was so brilliant.

LittleBunnyTutu

LittleBunnyTutu

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 7:59 AM

I'm moving my post from another thread, now that Evan has been extracted from the masses and is no longer indistinguishable:

A short "dance film", featuring Evan. It shows him free-styling at the end, during the credit roll.

After Hours

Note the comment of the film-maker in the Comments section below the video:

Jason Eberly: Thanks for the kind words Barb! While filming "After Hours," Evan and I talked about making a feature film to bring back the classic Gene Kelly musicals of the 1940s. Let's make that happen! ;)

Michmak

Michmak

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 8:29 AM

Did Evan try out last year as well? I seem to remember a contestant that I floved getting cut in Vegas, and he was very much a Boardway/Gene Kelly-esque dancer. If I recall correctly, his audition piece was 'Singing in the Rain.' Was that him? If so -- yay! Much love.

Shylock

Shylock

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 8:37 AM

Heh. I think we'll have to try to keep this thread about Evan, and not his just-as-compelling-if-not-more underdog brother. To be a total hypocrite, does anyone have any news on whether or not Ryan is auditioning for S6? Is he even eligible anymore?

I was happy to see both of them make it so far, because I love the Gene Kelly style and it's so rare these days. I'm also glad to see in the Top 20 photos that Evan seems to have changed his hair again, because in Vegas it was looking a little receding-y, if you will. Shades of the Kasprzak curse to come in a few years, I guess.

Anyway, I hope Evan is as good at other styles as he is at his own.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

• Interests:Performing Arts, Politics

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 8:50 AM

So happy, happy, happy that Evan made it this year; and then just gutted about Ryan. I will say this though, I found Evan much more compelling in Mia's choreo than Ryan, not that Ryan was bad or anything, Evan just touched me more.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 9:33 AM

Did Evan try out last year as well? I seem to remember a contestant that I floved getting cut in Vegas, and he was very much a Boardway/Gene Kelly-esque dancer. If I recall correctly, his audition piece was 'Singing in the Rain.' Was that him? If so -- yay! Much love

Yes, that's him. I don't typically get overly invested in the dancers during the audition rounds. There are some I like and are disappointed to see cut but none that I feel really bummed over. Evan was the exception for some reason. During Vegas, I kept looking for the Gene Kelly guy and was glad he made it to the Top 40 only to be disappointed when he didn't make it. I wouldn't exactly call myself a stalker but he was one of the few dancers I Googled so I could find out his full name and check periodically to see if he auditioned this season. I was thrilled when I finally saw him in the previews and am so happy he made it.

I found Evan much more compelling in Mia's choreo than Ryan, not that Ryan was bad or anything, Evan just touched me more.

I know Mia's a bitch and I try not to take her too seriously but I was thrilled to hear Nigel say that she loved him last year as much as I did. It was tough enough to watch Mia's pummeling of Brandon, I don't know if I could have handled it had it been a dancer I really really liked.

I love Ryan but I think they made the right choice for a number of reasons.

bzork

bzork

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 8:56 PM

Is it too early to start with the 'Eeeeeeee!!11!!'?

Ohwell. I luv this kid!! There's just something captivating about him and he seems really talented. I'm looking forward to see what he can do with other styles of dance...we didn't see much of him during the choreography rounds.

Edited by bzork, Jun 5, 2009 @ 8:56 PM.

Mills2501

Mills2501

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 12:50 AM

I agree - I really liked Evan in the Mia piece, and I wasn't necessarily expecting to (he has been a favourite of mine since his first audition last year, but this was one style that I couldn't clearly imagine him doing). But yeah, I love him him when he's doing his style and I'm thrilled that I like his Mia - hopefully he'll continue to impress in other genres.

And Shylock, I agree about his hair. To be shallow, I actually think he's very cute in his top 20 photo, his hair really suits him like that. I do find him very endearing generally though.

So yeah, he's definitely a favourite of mine going into top 20.

BobRachs

BobRachs

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 8:48 AM

Evan seems humble and likeable, if a little quiet....

I could see him being an early fan favorite.

Jessimuhka

Jessimuhka

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 11:23 AM

I was impressed by his hip hop round. They didn't show it in the actual episode, but when they were recapping one of the blond girls who made the top 20, they showed her hip hop round, and I'm positive he was her partner. He looked so much less awkward than I expected a Gene Kelly style guy to look doing a (fairly soft) hip hop routine.

After reflecting, I do think they took the right Kasprzak brother. Ryan's talents do seem to lie more in the choreography end of things, and Evan's dancing has a lightness that I really enjoy. (Although to wallow in the shallow end, I personally think Ryan is more attractive.)

jtenny123

jtenny123

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 12:42 PM

I really hope he does well on the show. He seems like a cool guy and has a really sweet relationship with his brother. I liked him in Mia's choreography and hope he's able to succeed in the different styles.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 1:35 PM

I posted this in some other thread but here's a vid of the brothers tapping.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=G8Pe0R7uAFc

I wonder what kind of partnership he and Randi will have. We didn't see much of her, did we?

They didn't show it in the actual episode, but when they were recapping one of the blond girls who made the top 20, they showed her hip hop round, and I'm positive he was her partner.

I think they might show a bit of it in his interview with Jeanine at about the 2:50 mark.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

He also does a little bit of hip hop during the credits of the short film linked above.

(Although to wallow in the shallow end, I personally think Ryan is more attractive.)

I do too. But I think they chose the right brother for this edition.

Edited by Irlandesa, Jun 6, 2009 @ 1:42 PM.

WillyFred

WillyFred

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 9:56 PM

Can't wait to see Evan this year, I hope he sticks around for a long time in the competition. I think that although his style isn't so "modern", he's charming and cute enough to get a good fanbase, and he seems to be very well-rounded and quite believable in the other styles, based on what we've seen so far. And I'm sure all the Ryan lovers will help stick up for his kid brother by voting for him!

I loved Evan last year and waited all year to see him again, I'm thrilled the producers picked him. The "Gene Kelly" style is so great because when you do it, you can be suave and graceful but still manly.

BTW, is there another name besides "Gene Kelly style"? I honestly have no friggin' idea what you should actually call that!

Shylock

Shylock

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 11:34 PM

BTW, is there another name besides "Gene Kelly style"? I honestly have no friggin' idea what you should actually call that!

Awesome?

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 12:57 AM

The show is calling it "Broadway." I've seen some studios offer classes in "Theater" which I'm assuming is similar to what Evan does.

Pogo Possum

Pogo Possum

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 1:20 AM

Evan was so adorable in his Top 20 interview! More than adorable...I'm twice his age, but there's nothing sexier to me than a cute geeky guy who says he doesn't know how to be sexy (come to think of it, look how well that worked for Benji Schwimmer).

I'm now picturing him in a routine inspired by the classic Gene Kelly/Cyd Charisse duet, from Singin' in the Rain, where she's the vampy flapper and he's the awkward innocent. Hawt!

I think a lot of Gene Kelly videos are going to be linked from this thread, because it really is amazing how well Evan captures the style and spirit of that type of dance.

Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse

Soleil

Soleil

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 2:51 AM

Since the performances haven't started yet, I've been making purely shallow comments in the contestant threads. For Evan: he looks a million times better with that haircut. Amazing how trimming the sides makes the top look fuller. Also, I kind of like the mindf--k of seeing him in 21st century clothes.

WillyFred

WillyFred

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 6:28 AM

Awesome?

Hee. Yes, definitely awesome.

Broadway. I'll go with that, thanks!

I'm now picturing him in a routine inspired by the classic Gene Kelly/Cyd Charisse duet, from Singin' in the Rain, where she's the vampy flapper and he's the awkward innocent. Hawt!

Oh, yeah, the "Broadway Melody" routine! Love that one, that would be perfect!

Lndncllng

Lndncllng

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 9:40 AM

Awesome?

This? Is awesome!

britesongs

britesongs

Couch Potato

• Interests:Most reality tv: Survivor, TAR, DWTS, Project Runway, Top Chef, SYTYCD, ANTM, Beauty and the Geek, RW/RR Challenges, etc.<br /><br />Other shows: Psych (why do we not have Psych on the recap list? SERIOUSLY.), Heroes, Eli Stone, Supernatural.<br /><br />Whatever Miss Alli recaps.<br /><br />Movies. I have a soft spot for dumbass stoner flicks. Despite never having partaken myself.<br /><br />The Beatles. The Monkees. The Who. The Barenaked Ladies. Lots of other folks that make rocking music.<br /><br />Learnin the kids how 2 right good. Cuz Im a awesome teechur.

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 12:36 PM

For Evan: he looks a million times better with that haircut.

He definitely does! I like that cut a lot, but I also liked his hair longer, like it was in the season 4 auditions.

I am soooooo excited for this season. Is it too much to ask that they give Evan and his partner an classic Broadway routine (aka Gene Kelly style)? I really hope we have someone other than just Tyce doing Broadway routines considering we have Evan on the show. How nice would it be to have a Broadway routine that isn't Contemporary done to a song from a musical?

allemand

allemand

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 6:31 PM

I don't have very high hopes of Evan getting Broadway, at least not early in the show. And if he does, it'll probably be choreographed by Tyce and be another one of his fake Fosse (Fauxse?) things rather than the classical Broadway jazz he does so well.

Solea

Solea

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

I'm twice his age, but there's nothing sexier to me than a cute geeky guy who says he doesn't know how to be sexy

I'd be surprised if Evan and his brother don't get a lot of play. Nothing sexier than a man who can dance, IMO.

I'm really looking forward to what he can do. So far, at this early stage, he's the only one I'm pulling for.

ETA: After watching the Evan/Janine interview linked above I couldn't help noticing...
Janine touches Evan's hand, then later his knee, and I got the vibe that she was being low-key flirty. Don't know what he thought, but as she was yammering on and I was getting bored with her I looked at Evan and his attention, too, was focused on something else. Hee!

Edited by Solea, Jun 8, 2009 @ 2:42 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2009 @ 11:47 PM

I've been reading some blogs/news articles covering the show while waiting for performance spoilers (I hate that the performance is on Tuesdays now) and it's kind of sad/funny how many people have Ryan & Evan mixed up.

WriterLiz1988

WriterLiz1988

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2009 @ 12:36 AM

Evan's great! I hope he does well. He's super talented. The relationship he has with his brother is definately something special; they love each other so much. It's so adorable. Even Adam noticed it too by saying to Ryan "I hope I see you in the audience."

He'll definately have a lot of support from his brother.

crogos

crogos

Video Archivist

• Interests:Besides reading anything I can get my hands on, I enjoy watching House, Supernatural, The Office, My Boys, Dancing with the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol and The Amazing Race.<br /><br />I also play tennis and follow the EPL, the San Antonio Spurs and the Toronto Raptors.

Posted Jun 9, 2009 @ 4:51 PM

I seem to recall someone mentioning (I believe it was in the Memphis audition thread) that they read a season 4 spoiler about what the judges said to Evan, and why he didn't make the show. The poster said that his cut and the comments he received were so worrying that the poster was concerned that Evan wouldn't be trying out again this season.....Does anyone know what that whole thing was about? Or why he didn't make season 4?

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2009 @ 8:50 PM

I seem to recall someone mentioning (I believe it was in the Memphis audition thread) that they read a season 4 spoiler about what the judges said to Evan, and why he didn't make the show. The poster said that his cut and the comments he received were so worrying that the poster was concerned that Evan wouldn't be trying out again this season.....Does anyone know what that whole thing was about? Or why he didn't make season 4?

I personally don't remember that comment. If it was posted last year, I would have missed it because I wasn't very active in the TWoP threads then. If it was posted this year--then I must be blanking because I don't remember reading it.

As for why Evan was cut last year, I don't recall him getting an extended cut. I remember his awesome audition that pleased all the judges on the panel. He was then somewhat MIA in the Las Vegas rounds but I saw him every now and again to see that he hadn't been cut. A few seconds of his final solo was aired. The only thing I recall about him getting cut was the judge telling him that he wasn't going to be a part of the Top 20 that season and me exclaiming "WTF?" Is that a little scary that I remember that? Hmmm...oh well, I'm sure I'm forgetting tons of stuff so I don't feel that obsessed.

I don't remember getting a lot of reasons why he was not chosen so unless the poster had some kind of "in" with the production, we don't know the full explanation.

I do remember a poster in the spoiler thread saying they didn't think Evan tried out this season and I believe that was based on an article/interview Evan gave for his college newspaper that talked about his experiences last season. From that they reached the conclusion that he must not have tried out this season but clearly that was not the case.

The only truly "troubling" comments Evan has received as far as I know is that the three judges questioned his ability to other styles of dance the way he commits to the Broadway style. Maybe, based on that, there was doubt they'd choose him for the Top 20. I couldn't tell if these were serious concerns or if they were just trying to build a story/angle. He got far the year before so they did know him and knew he was cross-trained. But Mary also legitimately seemed happy that he came back.

So that's Evan's experience on SYTYCD as far as I can recollect it.

milkshake

milkshake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2009 @ 10:44 PM

This is my first season watching SYTYCD, and Evan is my favorite by a mile. I'm totally into his Gene Kelly/Broadway style and hope he gets far on the show. It's probably because I love old musicals and don't really "get" the contemporary/lyrical style of dancing. I just grin from ear to ear watching Evan (or his brother) dance. Love it.

It's really too bad they didn't let Ryan in, too. His choreography rocks, and he's just as compelling and charming as Evan. But at least one Kasprzak made it!