Christy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

47 replies to this topic

Bessie Mae

Bessie Mae

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2009 @ 3:08 PM

I remember a interview where Kellie Martin seemed to disparage this show. I didn't get the impression it was something she was particularly proud of.

That's too bad, because I thought she was very good as Christy.

I'm a huge Kellie Martin fan since the days of those trashtastically wonderful Lifetime movies she does.

So am I. Mine started from when she was on Life Goes On. Her, and my interest in those old fashioned type shows is what made me look forward to the series when I first heard about it, and made me read the book.

Frogintheglen

Frogintheglen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 25, 2009 @ 4:23 PM

It is better not to examine them too closely, or you begin question their explanation of why a hillbilly doctor spoke with a Scottish accent.

He went to college/medical school in Scotland. It's not particularly realistic that someone who was essentially an adult and had lived in the same place his whole life would leave for a few years and come back sounding like he'd been born in another country, but I think we're supposed to believe that happened. :)

celticann

celticann

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2009 @ 8:31 AM

It is better not to examine them too closely, or you begin question their explanation of why a hillbilly doctor spoke with a Scottish accent.

The Carolinas were the destination of many Scots who were loyal to Charles Stuart (the Pretender) and who were expelled after his defeat in 1745-46. Given the isolation of Cutter's Gap, I would have expected that more of them would have had traces of a brogue.

ChelleLeigh1917

ChelleLeigh1917

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 26, 2009 @ 1:45 PM

[The Carolinas were the destination of many Scots who were loyal to Charles Stuart (the Pretender) and who were expelled after his defeat in 1745-46.

In the book, this is the background of Dr. McNeil's family. In Scotland, the McNeil family had been the lairds, and his ancestor brought the people to Cutter Gap. In the book, he went to medical school in Philadelphia, and had lost his mountain accent there.

Research Girl

Research Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2009 @ 3:52 PM

The Carolinas were the destination of many Scots who were loyal to Charles Stuart (the Pretender) and who were expelled after his defeat in 1745-46. Given the isolation of Cutter's Gap, I would have expected that more of them would have had traces of a brogue.

The Scotch-Irish immigration as certainly an influence on the way Appalachians speak, but people in Appalachia don't sound Scottish and haven't for quite some time. Too much time has passed, although there are traces of it like you find in the Boston accent.

The actor is Australian, so I wonder if it was a case of loving him in the part but not feeling his American accent was up to snuff.

I loved this show as a kid and I just noticed there were three tv movies that I missed. Although the change in lead actress is not a great sign, I'm adding them to my Netflix queue

Edited by Research Girl, Jun 26, 2009 @ 3:55 PM.

Frogintheglen

Frogintheglen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 26, 2009 @ 4:42 PM

The actor is Australian

I'll be darned...he is Australian! He's always had a Scottish accent in everything I've ever seen him do....which pretty much amounts to Christy, and episode of Monk, and National Treasure.

just watching

just watching

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2009 @ 5:22 PM

For me it was always Neil, I think that was the first time I ever rooted for an older man/younger gal pairing. There was something about their differences that just clicked and made David the safer choice, not the best one.

me too, i seem to always go for the wounded ones

He seemed so wounded most of the time which was odd for a character so big and so strong as Dr. McNeil was supposed to be which made the perfect contract for how tini Kellie Martin's Christy was and yet how much strength she projected onscreen.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2009 @ 10:24 AM

He had a brief role on Six Feet Under (only one ep) in which he sported his Aussie accent.

celticann

celticann

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2009 @ 6:31 PM

The Scotch-Irish immigration as certainly an influence on the way Appalachians speak, but people in Appalachia don't sound Scottish and haven't for quite some time. Too much time has passed, although there are traces of it like you find in the Boston accent.

As a Kentuckian, I'm well aware that the accents have faded with radio, television, travel, etc. The time period of "Christy" is almost 100 years ago, right before all of that.

Research Girl

Research Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2009 @ 2:15 AM

As a Kentuckian, I'm well aware that the accents have faded with radio, television, travel, etc. The time period of "Christy" is almost 100 years ago, right before all of that.

The accent has changed with technology and travel, but in the 1930s when radio was just becoming commonplace, a lot of linguists made recordings of Appalachian speech (sometimes as part of the WPA oral history project) by interviewing older people. Here's one example but you could probably hunt down others if you're interested. You can definitely hear some Scotch-Irish phrasing and grammar, but no one really has a brogue and these are people who would have been adults in 1912 so pressumably the accent hadn't changed much.

He's always had a Scottish accent in everything I've ever seen him do....which pretty much amounts to Christy, and episode of Monk, and National Treasure.

He also makes a brief appearance on Lost with an Australian accent (if I remember correctly). Its one of the flashbacks in the first season.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2009 @ 6:23 PM

I remember a interview where Kellie Martin seemed to disparage this show. I didn't get the impression it was something she was particularly proud of.

Haven't ever heard or read that, but maybe she feels about it like Kirstie Alley seems to feel about North and South...I mean, seriously, when's the last time you heard her mention that in a bio?

Mermaid Under

Mermaid Under

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

seriously, when's the last time you heard her mention that in a bio?

I don't remember when the interview happened, or for what reason, but I remember her reaction to Christy specifically because the interviewer also asked about Life Goes On, the drama she appeared in before Christy. She said very positive things about her time on Life Goes On, but in response to a question about Christy said something to the effect that it was so long ago, she barely remembered doing it. She didn't specifically say anything bad, but the response seemed a little off.

Edited by Mermaid Under, Jul 1, 2009 @ 12:20 PM.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2009 @ 6:44 PM

Started thinking a while back, was Christy even a realistic girl's name in the early 20th century? I know it was used as a guy's name in Ireland (nn for Christopher, I believe?) But it seems to me the usage of this time in the period is a bit anachronistic. Anyone ever recall reading anything about the subject? Or, are we just supposed to take it as hardcore symbolic, i.e. "Christy" = "Christian female"?

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 12:16 AM

I have truly fond memories of this hour long period drama starring Kellie Martin and Tyne Daly. It aired on CBS for 20 episodes in 1994 and '95. The series was based on the 1967 bestselling novel by Catherine Marshall. Set in 1912, a young woman becomes a teacher at a remote backwoods mission in Tennessee. (The series was filmed entirely on location in Townsend, TN, very close to the real setting of the book.) Christy grows and matures, and the young minister and doctor both fall in love with her.

This was a show my grandma introduced me to, as well as the book. If we couldn't get together to watch the show, we'd call each other during the commercial breaks to discuss what had happened so far. Due to the changing of the guard at CBS, Christy was continously bumped from the lineup and finally cancelled, despite the fact that this little drama garnered more mail for the network than any other show in CBS history!!

CBS ran off the remaining episodes in the spring and summer of 1995. By that time, my grandma was terminally ill and passed on. It was too painful to watch the show without her. I didn't watch those episodes until 1998, when the series was released on VHS and I bought the series set.

I will forever be a Christy/Neil fan. LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM!!!! I love their relationship in the book, and on the show I loved the chemistry between Kellie Martin and Stewart Finley-McLennan. I did see the PAX movies later on, with SFM the only one of the main actors to reprise his role. The movies were nowhere near as good as the series - and the fact that the supporting/minor characters had Canadian accents (filming took place in Vancouver as opposed to Tennessee) was more than a little distracting. Oh well.

At least the original series is now on DVD, and of course, Catherine Marshall's classic novel is still in print. I can't tell you how many copies of the book I've gone through because I read them so often they fell apart!!!!

Crs97

Crs97

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 11:44 AM

Mermaid, here's an interesting 2001 interview from Kellie specifically about Christy:

http://www.neilandch...terview-km.html

I loved the book as a child and then was so pleased when I heard about the show with Kellie and Tyne. It could not have been better cast! (Interesting note: Tyne's E! True Hollywood Story episode talked about how she came to be on Christy. She had gone through a divorce earlier and it was not amicable. I think she called Sharon Gless and asked if Sharon's husband - Barney Rosenzweig, who had produced Cagney & Lacey - had any guest spots she could do because money was very tight. He was the producer for Christy and gave her the role of Alice, and we were definitely the better for it!) I was so disappointed when it was cancelled after only two seasons. Here is an interview with Tyne about Christy as well:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=edW2bnCic5g

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2011 @ 12:01 PM

I'd never seen that Tyne interview before - thank you so much for sharing it!!!!

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2011 @ 12:46 AM

A treat for the Christy fans:

1994 CBS Christy Promo

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Here's a Tyne Daly interview about co-writing the script for the second season episode, "Echoes", which introduced LeVar Burton to the show:

Tyne Daly on co-writing a script for "Christy"