Community: Joel McHale Has Class

• Please log in to reply

18373 replies to this topic

VCRTracking

VCRTracking

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 12:10 PM

I wonder if the Russo Brothers showed Dan Harmon an early cut of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and that's where he got the idea of finding an old computer from the 70s?

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 12:13 PM

At this point, it just seems kinda sad that they are all still in college. I know they all graduated and came back to do different courses, but man, it's time to cut the apron strings. You can't just hang out playing games with your friends forever, wasn't that the message of the GI Joe episode? Okay, Jeff and Hickey and Duncan work there (and Shirley?), but Britta, Abed and Annie need to go get jobs. They're not retirement age yet like Leonard or Pierce was. How are they even supporting themselves?

VCRTracking

VCRTracking

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 12:43 PM

Dan said that's what he wanted for S4 before he got fired, to expand out of Greendale and into the world, because the show was titled "Community" not "Community College".

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 4:11 PM

Then he should have had the courage to stick with that when he came back, especially as S4 had graduated everyone anyway. Unless it was a precondition of the deal by which he returned, I guess. 

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 5:58 PM

How are they even supporting themselves?

Britta tends bar. I think Annie is in graduate school (so she has loans), or she got a job as a pharmaceuticals rep? Abed is probably in grad school being supported by his father.

qtpye

qtpye

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 7:40 PM

If that was the series finale... it was horrible.  I was actually embarrassed for the cast when they started to dance to Dave Mathews.  It was like what was once so brilliant is now sad and trying too hard.  I will try to remember the show for some of it's earlier ground breaking episodes and do not want it to come back if it is just going to be a sad shadow of it's former glory.

Edited by qtpye, Apr 18, 2014 @ 7:40 PM.

Carlee

Carlee

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 8:34 PM

I was disappointed with the episode... I'm not a big fan of Jeff & Annie.  I actually like the dynamic between Jeff & Britta usually (even as they bicker) but in this episode, they were just flat-out arguing over everything.

I'm probably in the minority but I think I enjoyed Community more when the study group was just that - a study group.  Once they started drifting away from class/school, it kind of lost me.  I'm ambivalent on Community coming back for a 6th season - before this last episode, I was hoping they'd get renewed.  After watching the episode, I'm not so sure anymore.  Not unless it can get back to S1 / S2 form.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 9:53 PM

I am over the show. It wasn't a bad season, but there is nothing here anymore keeping me interested week to week.

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 10:41 PM

Chris Elliott was one of the stronger points of this episode.

For context, I can't stand Chris Elliott and find him completely unfunny.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 11:51 PM

I think Annie is in graduate school (so she has loans), or she got a job as a pharmaceuticals rep? Abed is probably in grad school being supported by his father.
I don't think they can be in grad school and yet spend all their time screwing around at Greendale. It's already hard enough believing any of them have jobs outside of school. 

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 01:01 AM

Abed - what was going on with him? He seemed to be having a mini-meltdown just for the sake of giving him something to do and felt like he was regressing.

I like what CTMSW said: the A-plot was about a metaphor for the show, and probably esp syndication, and then viewed in that light, Abed's behavior in both parts of the season finale make 100% sense.  It wasn't just some random thing, it was an alternate take on commenting on the phenomenon of series (and season) finales and of the story circle model Harmon loves so much.

I was greatly entertained overall, but it wasn't as funny as top-shelf episodes of Community.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 08:59 AM

Chris Elliott was one of the stronger points of this episode.

I recognized him in the previous ep, but even knowing it was him in this ep, I couldn't see him under all that hair and makeup. But I agree that he was great. I never think of myself as a fan of his, but I always thought he was very good on Everybody Loves Raymond.

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 04:44 AM

I really hated the last three episodes of the season. They have probably been just as bad as everything in season four. When I look back at season five, I actually only liked three episodes this season: The ass-crack-bandit-episode, the hot-lava-episode and the Meow Meow Beans-episode. Everything else was pretty bad. Granted, these were three more episodes than I liked in season four.

I do also think the show suffered from losing Troy and Pierce. The cast dynamic never really recovered and Hickey & Duncan felt more like odd men out. While I liked Hickey, they both just didn't fit in, at least IMO.

To be quite honest, I wouldn't mind if the show ended this year. It has lost its spark in my opinion. The characters barely act like real people anymore. For all the craziness that was going on in the past, the characters and their emotions used to be anchored in reality. Now they're only cartoonish and one-dimensional.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 05:18 AM

Don't laugh at me, but I don't know Chris Elliott and until I came online I thought Greendale's founder was played by Jim Rash in a wig and beard. Honestly. I even was watching for edits where they were both onscreen at the same time, which only happens once or twice. 

In the second-last episode did Britta not say something like, "I'll say I'm going to grad school, but let's face it, I'll actually get a job in a bar"? So presumably she's not doing that at present? And I agree, it's hard to believe Annie still has a job as a rep, because would that not involve travelling? Hard enough to believe that Shirley has time to mess around with the others despite having two school-age children, a toddler, church duties AND running her own sandwich shop (unless she got bought out by Subway, I forget). I guess no wonder she misses out on storylines.