Community: Joel McHale Has Class

• Please log in to reply

18351 replies to this topic

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:04 AM

I have rewatched this episode so many times, it's ridiculous. This episode was so made of win for me. I concur with previous posters, Todd's crying was hilarious and I loved his facial expressions (very animated).

Jeff: "We're all fully grown adults failing a kindergarten project."
Professor Kaine: "Can I object?"
Annie: "I'll allow it."
Jeff: "Sustained."

Professor Kaine: "Holy crap! We are definitely dissecting pine cones next year!"

ETA: I loved Donald for Spiderman tie. Also golden was Quendra's reaction to Starburns telling her to kiss him.

Edited by Bella, Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:37 AM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:27 AM

This show is now like The Simpsons, which I totally love. I mean there are many minor characters like Neil, Todd, Vicki, Quendra, Gareth, Keane, The Janitor, Leonard, Magnitude and many more. So when they killed off Starburns, I was like, "Oh no..." because I care now with those minor characters. They really provide rich background to Community itself.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:44 AM

I also liked how the General (?) Michael Ironside was using 9/11 argument during the cross examination, just like Jeff used to do when he was a lawyer.

Used to do? He used it a few weeks ago to justify continuing the pillow/blanket war.

Edited by CChambers, Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:44 AM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Community will air three new episodes on May 17 — at 8/7c, 9/8c and 9:30/8:30c. Pop! Pop!

NBC Stretches Community's Season Finale to 90 Minutes

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

Is that a good thing or just burning through episodes? Though it is in sweeps month.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

I believe all of the other Thursday shows are ending the week before. So I think it's a good thing that all of the episodes are being shown at once instead of being spread out and aired with reruns of everything else.

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

I just got my issue of Rolling Stone this weekend, with the short article about Chevy's douchey behavior toward Community, (not online).

My absolute favorite line in the piece was something Michael O'Donoghue said when Doug Kenney of the old National Lampoon died falling off a cliff in Hawaii in 1980. O'Donoghue said something like "too bad he wasn't holding Chevy's hand at the time". O'Donoghue was a serious misanthrope himself IIRC

I guess Chevy's been a dick his whole professional life.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

The scene with Fat Neil as a low level bureaucrat who has to go through the logs in a disorganized office happens in almost every L&O episode! And I love that all of the sudden Greendale is universally lit through venetian blinds.

They also nailed the bit where we enter the scene with the techie (Britta, in this case) exactly at the moment the techie is rolling his/her chair from one desk to another.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Is that a good thing or just burning through episodes? Though it is in sweeps month.

Articles I've seen said that the original plan was the last two hours of Awake and finale of Community the following week. Now they moved the Awake finale out a week. Given sweeps week being involved, it seems like they may have more confidence in Community than Awake.

That's my small bit of optimism for today.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

I guess Chevy's been a dick his whole professional life.

It seems like that is a pretty fair and accurate statement.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I've never watched this show, but heard about the L&O parody they were going to do and watched it on Hulu this morning.

As a fan of L&O original recipe, who watched since DAY ONE, I fucking LOVED it. As others have mentioned, it was pitch-perfect, tone-perfect, everything...just PERFECT. Icing on the cake was Leslie Hendrix's ME Rodgers and Michael Fucking Ironside.

I'm SO going to watch it again and again, because I miss my show so, so much.

It pure original recipe. Original recipe's detectives were pretty famous for playing good cop/bad cop, grilling suspects. Made me miss Jerry Orbach so, so much.

Bravo!

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

I've never watched this show, but heard about the L&O parody they were going to do and watched it on Hulu this morning.

As a fan of L&O original recipe, who watched since DAY ONE, I fucking LOVED it. As others have mentioned, it was pitch-perfect, tone-perfect, everything...just PERFECT. Icing on the cake was Leslie Hendrix's ME Rodgers and Michael Fucking Ironside.

I'm SO going to watch it again and again, because I miss my show so, so much.

I've never watched Law & Order, but it's great to hear that Community got it so spot on. If you loved this episode, I'd recommend giving the show as a whole a good try. A lot of the humour in this episode was typical of the show in general, and I think the Law & Order stuff probably works even better when you know the characters, and get more of the Community inside jokes.

And chances are, they've already parodied or referenced a dozen other shows that you were crazy about.

Edited by Danny Franks, May 1, 2012 @ 12:42 PM.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

I don't watch much Law and Order, but I still loved this episode. From the few episodes I have watched, this was an amazing parody. And it was just so funny. It was such a great episode, I smile every time I think about it.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

Well, I've been watching this episode for a dozen times and still loving it. I think this replaced 'Remedial Chaos Theory' as my fave episode and even the paintball episodes.

I noticed that Troy was cocking his head and pointing Todd's bandage in the library was just like Det. Ed Green.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Each time I rewatch, the same line just has me in stitches.

When they're studying the photo that Britta 'enhanced' and notice the clock on the wall, Abed starts running equations, trying to make sense of the numbers, and Troy just points out it was taken at ten past eight. Abed's response, "I'm gifted in other ways!" absolutely cracks me up. Danny Pudi's line reading on that was genius.

I also love the fact that Professor Kane calls him 'Starface' instead of Starburns.

Edited by Danny Franks, May 1, 2012 @ 3:29 PM.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

EW.com had a cool recap of "Basic Lupine Urology," complete with a countdown of the episode's best lines.

Edited by yarnover, May 2, 2012 @ 9:14 PM.

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

From the link yarnover posted:

Community fans, would you watch a rebooted Schoolhouse Rock sung by Jim Rash?

Someone get on this. Now.

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

Chris McKenna gets an overall deal with Universal. Good for him and well deserved, but sad if this means leaving Community.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

So on reflection the Annie-Jeff softness conversation bugged me.

When Jeff did it it made perfect sense. Illegally seraching Starburns' locker knowing that if they found something (and they would) then they'd get away with it is not ethical but it is effective. Annie wanting to be ethical and Jeff scoffing about that because he wants the win makes sense.

And then they do the turnaround. Jeff points out that they have no case and really can't win. Annie starts talking about ethics and softness and tryint to echo Jeff's speech but it really doesn't work. Jeff isn't telling her to be an ethical person here (that comes later). He's telling her that they literally cannot win. And she goes off about how winning is all that matters. It's just...egh. I feel it would have been better if Annie had done her part when Jeff was talking about Todd being innocent. I know it's a parody but that part did not feel clever to me, just forced.

One moment I really liked was how when Jeff echoed the part about a man having to have a code then the teacher's head shot up and he started agreeing with them. I bet it wasn't even intentional and Jeff is just that good at manipulating people into getting what he wants.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Chris McKenna gets an overall deal with Universal. Good for him and well deserved, but sad if this means leaving Community.

It might not mean he'd have to leave. Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan have an overall deal with NBC and I think in fact that's why they're on Community. (I think they'd had such a deal since back when they were Bill Lawrence's capos on Scrubs, and - I'm not sure here - that might actually have been part of the reason they didn't follow Scrubs to ABC.)

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:52 AM

Random theory: In light of "Virtual Systems Analysis," I put forth the possibility that all of "Remedial Chaos Theory" played out in Abed's head before his decision to catch the die.

Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:37 AM

I think you're right Tabbyclaw. I also don't think that it's a coincidence that the darkest timeline occurred when Troy left the room.

Here's my question. Was the Jeff is poison theme that ran through 'Remedial Chaos' due to accurately determining what would happen, or due to Abed's feelings towards Jeff? I mean, we know that he tends to be accurate with his projections, but in 'Virtual Systems Analysis' his projection of the Britta/Troy lunch was deeply influenced by his fear that Troy would leave him. So is it possible that Abed feels that Jeff might disrupt the group?

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

Save One Show: We Have a Winner!

Cool, cool, cool!

We're pretty sure that's what Abed (Danny Pudi) would say to the news that NBC's Community won our Save One Show battle!

We just hunted down Joel McHale at E!'s upfront presentation in New York and broke the awesome news to him. "They say our show is a cult show but I believe our fans are actually in a cult," he tells us. "Without them we would not exist, literally. We are so grateful. Thank you, fans!"

ABC's Body of Proof came in a close second, losing by less than four percent, and we were blown away by the passion of the BOP fanbase...and so was star Dana Delany!

"Congratulations to Community and its fans for a good and fair win. What a wild race to the finish!"

So what do you think, NBC? Can we keep Community? The Human Beings of the TV world have spoken, and we sure hope you'll make them happy with a pickup for the 2012-13 season! Don't make us put on our evil felt goatees!

And

Joel McHale Offers Hope for Community's Return, but Will Chevy Chase Be Back?

With Community's future uncertain, will they also be losing castmembers? The feud between Chevy Chase and showrunner Dan Harmon has been making headlines for weeks, but is McHale sick of talking about it?

"No, I loved answering questions about it in every interview I've done for the last three weeks. That's been totally wonderful." But he admits he can't picture a Community without Chase: "I can't imagine him not back. And everyone's like, 'Is he coming back?' and I'm like, 'I haven't heard anything to the contrary.' I'm assuming so."

Edited by HoneyBee, May 2, 2012 @ 6:44 AM.

MattClem

MattClem

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Maybe I'm being wildly, crazily optimistic, but some of the phrasing in that second article strikes me as sounding like those *involved* are expecting the show to be back.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

So on reflection the Annie-Jeff softness conversation bugged me.

Reading the EW recap yarnover posted reminded me what a clunker that exchange was. It was one of those Jeff-Annie exchanges that throws off the rhythm of the show IMO. Especially because the phrasing was weird. I've always heard TV crime fighters chastise others for "going soft" or "getting soft" not "finding your softness". Is "finding your softness" something Jack McCoy actually said on Law & Order? I used to watch it years ago, but never remember that.

Also, as nice as it was to see a recap of the show, I disagree with the writer about the theme song: having a Law & Order-ized version of Community's own theme song was a thousand times better than if the show had used the actual Law & Order theme song. Oh, and any Community-related Schoolhouse Rock remake needs to be done by the entire cast, not just Jim Rash, and Ludwig Goransson should be heavily involved.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Is "finding your softness" something Jack McCoy actually said on Law & Order?

No, never. I don't ever recall him even asking Claire, Jaime, Abbie, Rohmbot, Alex or Connie if they were going soft. They would have...heated disagreements; sometimes yelling matches. But and that phrase? Is SO not the vernacular (is that the right word?) used in L&O and its spinoffs...

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Danny Pudi Interview With College Humor

If you could spin off only one of the following shows, which would it be: Troy and Abed in the Morning or Inspector Spacetime

Ha, okay, definitely Inspector Spacetime I would say. Because we’re constantly in adventures I feel like there’s more Blogons and more galaxies that we can explore, but Troy and Abed in the Morning we never really can have an end game. We literally get a guest on and as soon as they realize it’s a fake show, the segment is over, so I feel like there’s a longer shelf life with Inspector Spacetime, definitely. I feel like Troy and Abed in the Morning would live better as a web series.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

That reminds me, anyone else surprised that Troy and Abed are actually filming Troy and Abed in the Morning now?

ZetaBaby

ZetaBaby

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I think the best and possibly most overlooked joke of the episode was the string of "Producer" credits that goes on for nearly 2 full minutes after the initial opening credits. They just keep popping up, and just when you think they're done, they pop up again.

They can reuse this joke when they do an episode spoofing US The Office.

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

That reminds me, anyone else surprised that Troy and Abed are actually filming Troy and Abed in the Morning now?

I noticed that too, and kept meaning to comment on it. Wonder if Garrett is still doing the weather now that he's behind the camera.