Community: Joel McHale Has Class

• Please log in to reply

18379 replies to this topic

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

Where a person's name appears in the billing is contractually negotiated. As much as he might enjoy snubbing Chevy Chase, Dan Harmon wouldn't be able to change it unilaterally.

WicktSmaht

WicktSmaht

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

Posted Today, 02:20 PM #13956
Where a person's name appears in the billing is contractually negotiated.

Ah, so that explains the final credit of "and Jerry Mathers, as the Beaver." :)

No, but seriously, since they added Jim Rash, it just seemed like his name was distanced from the rest of the primary (study group) players, and I guess I was just being spacey!

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

I don't think being listed last in the opening credits has anything to do with "slumming" in a "minor role"; it simply goes to the biggest star of the main cast as sort of a matter of respect. For instance, Alec Baldwin has that spot in the 30 Rock opening credits, and he is the second most important character

Edited by Cerpintaxt815, Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:23 PM.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

Joel McHale was given the first name slot, as he was considered the lead character. Chevy was given the last with the 'and' because he is the biggest name. I think Alec Baldwin's character is a bigger part than Pierce and I would say AB was still a bigger star at the time they each joined the shows though.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

I don't think being listed last in the opening credits has anything to do with "slumming" in a "minor role"; it simply goes to the biggest star of the main cast as sort of a matter of respect. For instance, Alec Baldwin has that spot in the 30 Rock opening credits, and he is the second most important character

But he's not the lead, despite being the biggest star, hence my somewhat flippant use of the term "slumming it". That "and" spot is quite a coveted place to be, as far as I'm aware, and I wouldn't be surprised if both Baldwin and Chase wanted that as part of their contracts. But I wouldn't say it always goes to the biggest star, because if the biggest star is also the lead role in the show, they tend to be first in the credits.

For example, Zooey Deschanel is the first name in the New Girl credits, Timothy Olyphant is the first name in the Justified credits and Kyle Chandler was the first name in the Friday Night Lights credits.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

There's no exact science to the "And" credit. After top-billing, it's the second most prominent credit, and it's usually given either to the secondary lead (Baldwin on 30 Rock or Walton Goggins on Justified) or a supporting character played by someone famous (Chase on this show or Nick Nolte on Luck). It is definitely something that is negotiated for. Sometimes they add a "With" credit before the "And" credit. I've always viewed that as slightly less desirable than the "And" but roughly equivalent to second-billing.

When shows pile up the big names, it can sometimes get really silly. I fondly recall the season 2 Damages opening credits, which read at the end "With Marcia Gay Harden ... And Timothy Olyphant ... And Ted Danson ... And William Hurt."

Edited by alynch, Apr 1, 2012 @ 5:23 PM.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Sometimes they add a "With" credit before the "And" credit.

I don't know if it's always been but it's "With Ken Jeong and Chevy Chase".

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

There's no exact science to the "And" credit. After top-billing, it's the second most prominent credit, and it's usually given either to the secondary lead (Baldwin on 30 Rock or Walton Goggins on Justified) or a supporting character played by someone famous...

Yeah, it definitely varies. The way I've seen it usually, the "and"(last) spot goes to the person with the longest resumé (after the leads). I'm thinking of Adam Baldwin on Chuck.

Edited by Trini Girl, Apr 1, 2012 @ 5:32 PM.

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

Seriously? He expected to be able to improv on a weekly prime time network sitcom? And to "rely on his own sense of humor" and not have to follow a script or adapt to the sensibilities of the writers, director, and show's production?

Maybe that's why he doesn't read the scripts and needs cue cards.

polarbeorn

polarbeorn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

Yeah, it definitely varies. The way I've seen it usually, the "and"(last) spot goes to the person with the longest resumé (after the leads). I'm thinking of Adam Baldwin on Chuck.

And "Special Guest Star Heather Locklear!"

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

isn't Cloris Leachman a "with" on Raising Hope? I know she is the last billed but I can't remember if they use an "and", "with" or an "introducing".

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

So Chevy Chase VS Dan Harmon is April's Fool joke or the real thing? Any new news?

mekania

mekania

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

I don't think it's an April Fool's joke at all. The Harmontown thing where the voicemail was played was a month ago, I think. I thought there was something going on at Paleyfest (although unfortunately the fan who asked where Chevy was did it in a way that the cast could avoid talking about it) and the twitter stuff with Dan asking Dan Aykroyd if the project he was working on with Chevy would hopefully prevent him from working on anything else (ie prevent Chevy from working on Community anymore).

So this just confirms the tension that's been around for awhile now. Although Ken and Joel have always had to play buffers when Chevy showed up at events because everything that comes out of his mouth is so awkward and uncomfortable so maybe everything just reached a boiling point when Chevy screwed up a scene for the finale.

In the Deadline article comments someone mentions perhaps Dan was giving back some of what Chevy dishes out regularly. He, according to the comment, regularly tells the cast and crew to fuck off, "Fuck off Donald, Fuck off Ken, Fuck of PA" etc. That is, of course not something that's been proved but I wouldn't be surprised. Still Dan doing that at the wrap party was not cool regardless of family being present.

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

So is it time to part ways with our closest, oldest, craziest, most racist, oldest, elderly, crazy friend? Or perhaps Chevy can go in for some soul rezoning?

Edited by MyAlias, Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:31 AM.

Elviriel

Elviriel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Man, I was so hoping it was a joke ! That is so sad. I hope it doesn't affect the show... the cast always seems so happy in all interviews and extras, it makes me sad to think it's not all sunshine and rainbows.
It's definitely not hard to believe, though, but it's sad. And I don't want Pierce to leave ! He's not my favorite, but like everyone said, it's hard to imagine the group without him. Who will sit next to Troy ? (Not Chang. Please, don't say Chang.)

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

Maybe Leonard can take Pierce's spot in the study group!

I think what Chevy said about the show straying from its community college roots has some merit, but overall his comments seem like they are coming from someone who just doesn't really get the show. He seems to have a real disdain for sitcoms, what with the advice he gave to Alison Brie to get out of tv and just do movies. I'd agree with him if we were talking about one of the many mediocre sitcoms out there, but Community really is something unique and different and I think they all should be proud to be part of it. It's like he thinks he's just too good for tv or something. He needs to take a lesson from Jeffery Tambor or Jessica Walter, two older accomplished actors who deigned to do tv and did it brilliantly in Arrested Development. I mean it's fine if he's unhappy with the character and wants to move on, but to badmouth the whole show is unprofessional and he's just making himself look bad.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

Chevy also doesn't seem to notice the mass of movie stars in the last decade that have flocked to TV because it's not so easy getting good parts in a movie anymore. His advice to Alison wasn't very good.

Chevy at 2010 Paley praising Joel has a little more context now. It sounds like he makes a lot of things uncomfortable on set.

Edited by redbudrose, Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:12 AM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

Maybe Leonard can take Pierce's spot in the study group!

Please no. I like him fine in very small doses. Anything more is unfunny. I'd rather have Chang in the group -- which I really wouldn't, but just as a comparison, I'd rather have him than Leonard.

IF Chevy does leave the show, I kind of hope they don't add someone else to the study group.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

IF Chevy does leave the show, I kind of hope they don't add someone else to the study group.

Yes! This would be a huge mistake and would through off the whole balance of the show. Honestly, I would be surprised if Chevy left if they get a S4 which I think is likely. I just see him getting a smaller role.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Community's Chevy Chase and Dan Harmon are supposedly fighting, and Chase threatened to leave the show

There have even been suggestions that the story is being fueled as an appropriately meta means of generating Charlie Sheen-like publicity, minus the sex and poetry.

Being both natural skeptics and fans of the sort of comedic creativity that arises from people who love to hate each other, we err on the side of this being sort-of true and also not that big a deal, ultimately destined to blow over or even continue to fester into its own running gag. And if it doesn’t, and Chase is really serious about leaving, well, at least Pierce’s death will probably be funny.

Click link for full article

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Pierce has never been my favorite. I prefer him in small doses. So I'd like to see his role reduced.

Pharangese

Pharangese

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

That is just sad...

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

The news spread like wildfire: Chevy Chase Feuds With Community Creator

The actor has reportedly had a huge falling out with the show's creator, Dan Harmon, after he "f-bombed" the comedian at a party in front of his family. Plus, more drama!

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

Why the Chevy Chase–Dan Harmon Feud Won’t Determine Community’s Future

Bottom line: The odds of the Greendale gang graduating to a fourth season look decent. Whether Chevy Chase will stay on campus is another question altogether, but one that won't have much to do with whether Community passes or fails.

nirveli9

nirveli9

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Here's my two cents on this whole feud. I think both Chevy Chase and Dan Harmon are kind of douche bags. I mean both are geniuses in their own right, but I think Chase has had a notoriously huge ego and is generally thought of as being kind of an asshole, while Harmon is like this insecure teenager ready to lash out in almost a disproportional manner to any slight he perceives. Both acted like petulant children unable to keep their attitudes in check. That being said, both Chevy Chase and Peirce are my least favorite part about my absolute favorite TV show, and since Dan Harmon creates this TV show, I'm more inclined to be lenient towards Harmon.

I'm probably in the minority, but I sort of hope that they replace Chevy Chase with some other old dude, (Steve Martin! Or any other lovable/ crotchety old dude...He's the only old dude I can think of right now) and just say Pierce was required to have a face transplant / plastic surgery for his cult. Or something like that. It fits with the weirdness and in an odd way, makes sense (at least my interpretation) for the character.

SpiffyShindigs

SpiffyShindigs

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

The only actor I could believe in a sort of Pierce-ish role (where the character takes so many cues from the actor), would be Adam West. He seems like he could do the lovably-old-and-out-of-it character better than Martin or (as I have seen suggested other places) Murray, who would feel a bit too much like "Okay, here's this other guy from SNL." Plus, having an actual Batman on the show would be amazing.

jch323

jch323

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

And the plot continues to thicken.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

Lol, OK, if Steve Martin would/could actually join the show then I might be ok with that otherwise on these types of shows I don't think replacement characters fit in a main cast.

And the plot continues to thicken.

Here's how we're being told it all went down -- Chevy had an issue with one of the scenes and asked for a rewrite. We're told Chevy was very calm and polite ... but told producers he would "respectfully decline" to participate in the scene unless a change was made.

Producers shot down Chevy's request ... and he quietly left the set without incident.

I guess I just don't see this as very professional either. Dan Harmon was out of line but it's not up to Chevy which scenes he wants to shoot. Also in the link I posted earlier, it puts it in a little more context to me at least, Chevy calls everyone Fu*ckers on set. DG says he'll say FU in the conversation to a person before they even say hello.

Edited by redbudrose, Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:46 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

I have to wonder who TMZ's sources are. He 'respectfully declined' after his demand for a rewrite didn't happen? Unless Chevy totally mellowed out, I kind of find that description a little hard to believe. Besides, how is refusing to do your job in any way respectable?

I am also wondering if part of Dan's anger at the wrap party was in relation to the HuffPo interview. It was just published but they may have contacted him for a comment.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

I have to wonder who TMZ's sources are. He 'respectfully declined' after his demand for a rewrite didn't happen? Unless Chevy totally mellowed out, I kind of find that description a little hard to believe.

It's not just TMZ, Deadline is reporting said same:

Since I posted the story yesterday, several people working on the show have come forward to confirm Chase’s version of the events. One noted that the show indeed was “suffering through a ‘non-script day’” when Chase walked off. Another claimed that most of the cast and crew members who attended the wrap party disapproved of Harmon’s behavior at the bash.

So I think it's got some veracity and the one big take away from the HuffPo article for me is that Chevy loves his cast mates and has stuck with the show because he thinks they are all super talented. I mostly agree with the AV Club's take, yeah they both probably hate each/suck to a degree, but it's "sort of true and not that big a deal".