Community: Joel McHale Has Class

• Please log in to reply

18359 replies to this topic

sll03

sll03

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 9:39 AM

After tossing and turning all night, I think I've officially convinced myself not to worry for the sake of my health. Also, I may or may not have watched approximately 11 episodes of Community in my angst-ridden state, and while you'd think that would depress me even more, it totally did the trick and cheered me up. That's how you know this show is frakkin' awesome.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 9:41 AM

Well, with Chuck ending this season and possibly Community that gives me absolutely no reason to watch NBC. So, good job, network!

I'll be over at ABC frantically re-watching episodes of Revenge.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 9:46 AM

Such a shame they're about a season short of getting syndicated

Didn't Baywatch only lasted 1 season in NBC and then they moved it to syndication and the ratings soared and lasted for more than 6 seasons? NBC was biting their nails after Baywatch was watched for 1 billion people.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 10:59 AM

But Baywatch aired new episodes (first-run syndication). When people talk about Community getting syndicated, they're talking about repeats (off-network syndication).

Edited by Redtracer, Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:09 AM.

Elviriel

Elviriel

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:19 AM

This fandom is so awesome. Have you been on Twitter or on NBC's facebook page ? Community fans are wonderful.
In a way, I'm happy. I always seem to watch shows that have been canceled after they've been canceled. This time, I can participade in the crusade !

I want my four seasons. No more, no less. Four years for Jeff's degree, four years of Community.
Still, if three seasons is what we get, I hope they can give proper closure to the show. Maybe the finale can be set a year later, at the end of Jeff's degree, and be another faux-clip show giving a glimpse of all the crazy things that happened in the year NBC took from us.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 11:27 AM

Like many here, my favorite shows get cancelled a lot. But this has bothered me more than any*. I think it is just that I honestly feel there is a lot more story to tell. Like throwing away a book half way through. With say a show like Arrested Development or Veronica Mars or even Party Down I didn't feel like there was so much more to say and do. I didn't feel like I was going to miss out on the arc or growth of any of those characters. I feel like I need to see what happens to everyone here.

It may not even be my favorite of shows that have been cancelled. But it is the one I feel like I need more of. Not just that it would be nice if it happened.

*I do understand NBC's position. And I know I am lucky to get what we got. But being disappointed isn't really ruled by logic.

meringue

meringue

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 12:18 PM

Is there a Communitytown Abbey to tide me over?

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 12:57 PM

Is there a Communitytown Abbey to tide me over?

You'd just end up more depressed when they all die in episode 6. I wonder if Cougar Town will make a reference to this when they come back to complete the circle.

I want my four seasons. No more, no less. Four years for Jeff's degree, four years of Community.

Yes, I had my heart set on four seasons. I know we're lucky to have gotten what we have, but we're so close now, can't they just hang on for one more year?

How long before they do a meta episode about this? I remember Arrested Development did that one where they threw out every cliched ratings grabber in the business. Not that it worked.

This is a nice video with relevant clips from the show.

Open letter by Mo Ryan.

Template for making your own goatee.

Edited by 3headedmonkey, Nov 15, 2011 @ 1:33 PM.

nairuti

nairuti

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 2:25 PM

A day later and still not feeling any better about this. I really don't get NBC. I forgot that I also watch 30 Rock on NBC, but I won't be watching until Community is back on the air. I don't care if it's irrational.

GBB

GBB

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 2:39 PM

Template for making your own goatee.

They want people to take pictures of themselves wearing the goatee and send them in. I'm so doing this! That'd be a great campaign! :)

shesagdB

shesagdB

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 3:01 PM

The theme song title "At Least It Was Here" seems so relevant now

Community music video-
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SLayXTZQUGw

sketch

sketch

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 3:09 PM

I actually hope this makes them realise whatever they try and stick in this timeslot is going to have a real tough time getting knock-out ratings -

Especially if you don't ADVERTISE the damn show, NBC.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 3:10 PM

Open letter by Mo Ryan.

Pretty nice letter, there. I think she covered all the bases, and then some. The fact that CBS is flying so high, with so much dross, must be galling for NBC, when they're struggling so much, but I really think they'd be best to avoid taking the same low road, and stuck with high quality programming, even if it doesn't give them success in the ratings.

And while they're at it, coming up with a solution to the antiquated, misleading Nielsen Index would be a good step forward as well.

They want people to take pictures of themselves wearing the goatee and send them in. I'm so doing this! That'd be a great campaign! :)

I just worry that there will be so many disparate campaigns that none of them will garner enough support to have a real impact. The Community 101 Livejournal is doing a good job of trying to marshal all the passionate fan energies into something coherent, so I'd recommend people visiting that site to see if their campaigns are to your taste.

The same person whose fan video was parodied in Paradigms of Human Memory is offering to create a video of fans showing messages of support for the show. It sounds like a really creative, imaginative way of getting NBC's attention.

Yes, I had my heart set on four seasons. I know we're lucky to have gotten what we have, but we're so close now, can't they just hang on for one more year?

The show just has to get four seasons. It has to. I've always envisaged it ending with Jeff graduating, probably with Britta, Annie and Troy. Not sure about Abed or Shirley, and it seems that Pierce has no plans to leave. It would be a fitting end, and one that Dan Harmon and his team fully deserves.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 3:20 PM

The show just has to get four seasons. It has to. I've always envisaged it ending with Jeff graduating, probably with Britta, Annie and Troy.

But I thought the fact that Jeff took anthropology last year when he didn't need it as a graduation requirement meant that he couldn't graduate in 4 years.

Linpatootie

Linpatootie

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 3:27 PM

Yvette Nicole Brown put a little goatee on herself in her Twitter avatar, I've put up a message on Tumblr and Twitter to follow in her footsteps. Paint a goatee on your Twitter avatar if you have one folks and write a tweet with #sixseasonsandamovie in it!

There's also a Community cootie catcher thing you can print out to mail to NBC. I'm from the Netherlands and am trying to rally up people here to send it... I don't know if European postmarks will impressive people (probably not) but it's worth the shot. Community is on Comedy Central here (every day at 7 pm!) so a lot of people do watch it.

balevinson

balevinson

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 3:39 PM

I had to come back to this thread to see what the rumpus was about.

Yeah, like most, I lost interest in the show at or around the time Chang stopped teaching. So go ahead -- cancel the show. Fine. And let the creative people involved move on to other projects.

Then I saw NBC's spring line-up. Yikes! And they're furloughing "Community" to make room for this?!?

Yeah, they gotta compete with the reality-competition juggernauts (which in itself is a sad statement), but the solution *can't* be MORE reality. The Voice? The Apprentice?? Ugh.

It's my super secret Christmas wish that all this tripe would just get shuttled off to some cable network. That way middle-America could enjoy their "entertainment", and Hollywood could get to work on that second golden age of television that they keep promising us.

Then again... It *is* a lot easier and a LOT more profitable to have PAs and interns shoot and edit months of footage into watchable commercial padding that tests well.

Never mind.

Edited by balevinson, Nov 15, 2011 @ 4:00 PM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 4:59 PM

But I thought the fact that Jeff took anthropology last year when he didn't need it as a graduation requirement meant that he couldn't graduate in 4 years.

I find it hard to believe that they didn't need anthropology or a class like it for a humanities requirement. I know that was the only reason I took that class. I had no dioramas to make but I did spend a good three-fourths of the semester watching videos about the indigenous people of Russia raising caribou.

And even if it's not a graduation requirement, graduating isn't a matter of only taking requirements for the school or for your major. There are a certain number of credits you need to acquire which is how people can double-major or have a minor and still graduate on time. Taking anthropology isn't going to stop Jeff from graduating on time.

Sarah V

Sarah V

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 5:01 PM

This article fromVulture is definitely speaking my Changuage.

I could quote the whole thing (it's definitely worth a read). Here is the (optimistic) final paragraph:

Ugh. All right, bottom line: What are the odds of a season four of Community?
We still think it's about 7030 that the show returns next season in one form or another. While the show's ratings have drifted dangerously low this fall, just about everything on NBC is headed in a downward direction. Sony might have to offer cost concessions to NBC, a cast member or two might have to go (seriously, we love Chevy Chase and Ken Jeong, but at this point, can you argue that they're essential to the show?). But if Chuck and Friday Night Lights were able to tough it out against all odds, the Human Beings should be all right. At the very least, we're hopeful NBC will give creator Dan Harmon time to end the show properly, be it this season or next. As our industry vet noted, perhaps "all of this will be worth it to see how meta the show gets about its own impending death."

I'm going keep hoping for a season 4 pickup. For now.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 5:21 PM

Chevy Chase is essential. I can live without Chang, no matter how awesome Ken Jeong is. Though, I guess Ken Jeong's the larger draw nowadays.

nairuti

nairuti

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 5:35 PM

I agree. I like Chevy Chase on this show more than I like Donald Glover and Alison Brie. Not that I don't like them, just saying. We definitely do not need Ken Jeong - the show might even improve without him being there.

GoodyGoody

GoodyGoody

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 5:47 PM

Chang is best in small doses, and I'm not sure he is essential to the gang now. However, imagine how meta his send off or the explanation of his absence would be!

Edited because Grammar and spelling are important.

Edited by GoodyGoody, Nov 15, 2011 @ 5:58 PM.

Elviriel

Elviriel

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 5:52 PM

Ken Jeong is truly awesome, but Chang is tiresome. He's better this season than in the last one, though (and the episode where he wanted to be a detective made me laugh a lot, although I understand why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea).
But Pierce ? Must stay. He's part of the study group, and I don't want him out. He's not my favorite, but he's part of the family.
But the article from Vulture is great, and manages to be both realist and reassuring.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 6:04 PM

The thing that gets me is that yet another show is getting the prime post-office time slot to try to build an audience when NBC (other than the first 3 episodes before being bumped for the 3rd Season of 30 Rock) never gave that chance to Community.

thethinman

thethinman

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 6:15 PM

I am really getting tired of this crap. First it was Wonderfalls, then Pushing Daisies, then Better Off Ted. Now it looks like another another witty, intelligent, well written show has to die because of an antiquated rating system and networks that are increasingly catering to the brain dead zombies out there. Just take a look at the crap scripts that NBC bought from Jimmy Fallon. The three shows are Fat Rob, which is about a former rapper trying to be a good father, DILFs, a show about dads who don't feel adult enough to be parents, and Rick follows a man who is the same age as his stepson. And NBC wonders why it is going down the tubes?

SaoMagnifico

SaoMagnifico

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 6:22 PM

I had no dioramas to make but I did spend a good three-fourths of the semester watching videos about the indigenous people of Russia raising caribou.

Oh! I remember watching that one, too!

jch323

jch323

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 6:52 PM

I find it difficult to muster up any outrage over the decision. I loved the first season, but last year was very hit-or-miss for me. And this season has really disappointed me to the point it's moved from my DVR to maybe catching up on Hulu if the reviews are really good.

WicktSmaht

WicktSmaht

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 7:52 PM

I am really getting tired of this crap. First it was Wonderfalls, then Pushing Daisies, then Better Off Ted.

I agree with you. My frustration goes back even further. I remember being quite a bit younger, and loving the show The Young Rebels. Anyone remember this one? It ran for 15 episodes in the early 70's, and was based (very loosely) on the American Revolution. I was surprised to see that Aaron Spelling was in charge of this production (so, I guess all his shows weren't hits!) But anyway, I remember my frustration even back then, having my favorite show cancelled.

My office is practically a shrine to what TWOP refers to as "brilliant but cancelled" shows. I have posters for Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, (will soon have) Arrested Development, and Community (not cancelled - yet). The only show that I have a poster on my wall for that made it through all six seasons (but no movie!) is for Lost.

Queen LJ

Queen LJ

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 7:58 PM

I don't understand. What did smart, loyal fans of comedy do to piss NBC off so much? First Conan and now Community.

And why is that pile of you know what Whitney still doing with a pulse?

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 8:06 PM

I don't understand. What did smart, loyal fans of comedy do to piss NBC off so much?

Not watching in large enough numbers, I'd guess. Community has a rough time slot, up against BBT and AI, it'll be interesting to see what 30 Rock does in that time slot at least.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 8:35 PM

Nice writeup on AOL tv.

Not watching in large enough numbers, I'd guess. Community has a rough time slot, up against BBT and AI, it'll be interesting to see what 30 Rock does in that time slot at least.

If they want eyeballs, they should promote the show. If Community had gotten one tenth of the push that pile of dreck Whitney got, I think it would have made a difference. I'm not even particularly creative, and I can think of half a dozen ways to promote it just off the top of my head. Imagine what actual talented creative people could have done.