Community: Joel McHale Has Class

• Please log in to reply

18370 replies to this topic

andme

andme

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

Ugh. Unless this improves next week, I'll stop watching. It was boring. Very disappointing after the Office.

VanillaBear85

VanillaBear85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 10:47 PM

Sounds like it's a 4 year college, which is weird for a community college.

As someone who attends community college, there are a few bachelor degrees that can be earned at the small one I go to.

I enjoyed it and thought it was funny. Liked the fast pace style and though Abeeb(?) was hilarious. "Can you hear me? Am I deaf"? (something like that anyway). There are quite a few shots taken at community college, which I don't enjoy, but it's a stereotypical.

Bulldog

Bulldog

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

Ugh. Unless this improves next week, I'll stop watching. It was boring. Very disappointing after the Office.

I agree, except for the part about next week.

Kiss My Grits

Kiss My Grits

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2009 @ 11:31 PM

This is one of those shows where I care more about the secondary characters more than the lead character and his love interest. I thought the secondary characters were a hoot and they made me laugh- I found the main character annoying and his story with the love interest boring.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 12:11 AM

Question for my fellow Mad Men fans: Was that Alison Brie's natural speaking voice? She didn't have that oddly high Trudy Campbell cadence thing going on and it threw me off for a minute.

I dug the show, but I hope they give Britta more to do and I hope Jeff keeps more to his douchebag nature. If we get a weekly epiphany about his general attitude every go-around it's gonna get tired quick.

What the deal with he timeslot, though? Is the Thursday lineup going to get shuffled around once 30 Rock comes back?

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 12:18 AM

It's difficult to say how good it is because so much has been shown out of context in promos.

Funniest of the unspoiled was the motormouth doing the Bender bit and "am I deaf?"

Edited by mooncreek, Sep 18, 2009 @ 12:25 AM.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 12:37 AM

I liked this a lot better than I thought it would. I didn't think Chevy Chase was obnoxious as I ordinarily do.

I don't know how old Britta is supposed to be, but I think Joel McHale might be a little too old for her.

What the deal with he timeslot, though? Is the Thursday lineup going to get shuffled around once 30 Rock comes back?

I believe that Community will be on at 8 and then 30 Rock will be at 9:30.

Fructose

Fructose

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 1:37 AM

Have to take exception to the "meh" comments. I dig this show. There was some fine writing going on there, and in Britta at least one really promising female character (a tragic rarity). I thought "Glee" was going to be my runaway fave new show, but this one could be a contender.

BigKev47

BigKev47

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 2:36 AM

I found it a little overwritten... there was a lot of cleverness going on, but all of it seemed to be accompanied by a little wink saying "look how clever I am!" that left a real sour taste in my mouth. Maybe it's just McHale... I wasn't that impressed with him.

Bright spots for me included John Oliver and the quite remarkable sexiness that is Gillian Jacobs... either of them alone are enough reason for me to give it at least a few more weeks...

Edited by BigKev47, Sep 18, 2009 @ 2:37 AM.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 8:07 AM

I thought it was pretty funny, especially Abhed's parts. I hope Jeff becomes less smarmy.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 8:19 AM

I don't know how old Britta is supposed to be, but I think Joel McHale might be a little too old for her.

She did talk about being in the Peace Corp, dropping out of high school to impress Radiohead, and something else she had done. I'd put her charcter in her mid-20s, which is only about 10 years younger than Joel's.

I thought it was funny. As others have pointed out, even Chevy made me laugh (something he hasn't done since 1974). Joel's "too clever" dialogue can be pointed to his ability to bs as an attorney. John Oliver points out his genius in tying his driving while impared (?) to 9-11. So, the community speech was not too far-fetched.

I'll keep watching.

Kelane

Kelane

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 8:24 AM

I love Joel McHale, so I tuned in just to see him and I must say I wsa impressed. I really enjoyed it. I hadn't seen previews beyond the one I saw on The Soup last week and didn't really have any expectations going in, but I enjoyed it and will be coming back again. I thought the cast was great and I look forward to seeing what else they can do since pilots usually are more lackluster than subsequent episodes.

VnlaThndr775

VnlaThndr775

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 9:00 AM

As a community college student who got out of class an hour before the show's premiere, I enjoyed the show a lot. Joel McHale is great, the actor who plays Abed is fantastic, and even Chevy Chase was decent. Great ensemble cast and I can't wait to see Ken Jeong on there sometime in the future! The digs at community college didn't offend me at all because there was a bit of truth to all of them! Not for me of course, but other students I see at school... I'm just a 32 year old trying to get an Associate Degree in my chosen career to move up and make more money. Not sure which example of a community college student that I fall under.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 9:03 AM

I enjoyed the pilot. At this point I can't say much more than that, but I like the cast and I think the show shows great promise. It helps that I'm already a watcher of the line-up, or at least 30 Rock and The Office. Still can't get into Parks and Recreation, but 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

goodnight

goodnight

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 9:13 AM

I thought it was pretty funny--a lot better than the first episode of 30 Rock, which I took forever to warm up to. I hope people give it a chance.

That Abeeb guy said Britta was 28.

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 9:28 AM

I am very pleased. I liked the show a lot. It was nice to see Trudy from Mad Men. I will definitely watch next week. Has anything come out yet about the ratings?

NoirDetective

NoirDetective

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 9:28 AM

Agreed. The Joel/Britta relationship had no value and it appears that's the crux of the show. I didn't laugh once at this. I love McHale from The Soup, but as an actor he brings very little presence or charisma to the dialogue. I also think this may have been written for someone younger.

Aiden

Aiden

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 9:31 AM

Pilots are never usually the highlight of a series (as has been mentioned, 30 Rock took a while to warm up). So while I wasn't totally impressed, I think it has potential, and I'll keep watching.

starspider

starspider

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 9:57 AM

I had trouble getting into this one. There were some parts that were funny, but overall it was pretty meh for me.

I couldn't figure out why something about Joel McHale seemed weird, and at first I thought it was that he seemed like he was reading off of a teleprompter. But then I figured out what was bugging me - he pauses at the end of the 'look how clever this is' lines, as though he's waiting for a laugh. Since The Soup has an audience or laugh track, he's used to doing it this way, I'd imagine, but it's not working for this type of thing. IMO, his timing is off.

Artsee

Artsee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 10:18 AM

Aaaaaw. I was so disappointed in this. Had been hoping to put it on my schedule as a must-see. Love me some Joel, but there was something "off" about the acting. And maybe that's what it was - I could tell that everyone was acting. I might watch one more episode to see if it improves, but I don't have much hope.

uclagirl

uclagirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 10:27 AM

I really liked it, but I have to call BS on Britta's Peace Corps experience with the background she described.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 10:43 AM

I really liked it. I need to watch it again today because I know I missed stuff when I was laughing.

I have to call BS on Britta's Peace Corps experience with the background she described.

That bugged me, too.

hima22

hima22

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 10:44 AM

I have to say I really enjoyed the pilot. It might have been because I was watching it with my brother and his hysterical laughter usually causes mine, but we were cracking up throughout. The part where Abed suddenly does the Bender speech? We had to pause the show because we were laughing so much. I am very excited to see how the show goes. (And hope they'll start recapping it on TWoP regularly).

Aunt Charlotte

Aunt Charlotte

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 10:54 AM

Not too bad, not too good. I'm not an Office or Parks fan, but I will certainly give this another chance or two.

I noticed Joel McHale did not smile once last night, and 90% of his charm is his killer smile. Maybe that's what his Soup fan are noticing in "something being off."

gingerella 000

gingerella 000

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 11:03 AM

Uhhh, not so good for me. I love Joel on The Soup, adore him. But I stopped watching last night about 10 minutes into that mess.

And the writers need to do some research on their lines. Someone upthread said:

Britta said she'd been in the Peace Corp, dropping out of high school to impress Radiohead, and something else she had done. I'd put her charcter in her mid-20s,

I was in the Peace Corps and they don't take 20-somethings with no high school diploma. You have to have a college degree. Last I heard they only took people without a college degree if they had significant life experience, like folks over 50. Just say'in, if you're going to make one of your main characters have a specific background, at least check into whether or not it could happen.

I know I know, it's a sitcom...but I didn't find much "com" in there. I'm out.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 11:10 AM

I really liked it, but I have to call BS on Britta's Peace Corps experience with the background she described.

Especially since the Peace Corps would really like for you to have a bachelor's degree. gingerella said it first, and better. Apparently it takes me a million years to post.

Edited by janie jones, Sep 18, 2009 @ 11:11 AM.

GoodyGoody

GoodyGoody

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 11:12 AM

Daughter and I laughed. We both like Joel on the Soup, and thought he was pretty good here. Just enough Chevy (although having just watched Caddyshack, daughter's mind was blown by the aging process, hee).

I didn't notice the absence of smiling, but if you are a big fan of the smile, it can color your impression of a show, that's a fact. It's why I can't get into Numb3rs, as I think Rob Morrow also has a killer smile, and his character in Numb3rs NEVER smiles.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 11:12 AM

It was a little rough around the edges but I liked it. I lovee when the lead character isn't a "good" person or just an idiot(as much as I like Steve Carell on The Office).

plunker

plunker

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 11:19 AM

About 95 percent of Peace Corps volunteers have an undergrad degree.

Oscem

Oscem

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 11:42 AM

We really enjoyed it - had been looking forward to it, but weren't expecting much. It was nice to be pleasantly surprised. And we even said that Chevy Chase was funnier in 22 minutes than he's been in 22 years. The 'look at the person on your left' moment was hilarious, as was 'soup?' and 'there's breakfast?'. Just enough to be funny, not enough to be overkill.

We did read one TV critic's review of next week's show, and he said it's much funnier than this episode - we usually find him pretty on. I try not to put too much stock into pilots since things tend to change so much, so I expect there will be improvements.