21-3: "Frontios"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2009 @ 10:12 PM

What does the end of humanity look like? Before "The End Of The World" and "Utopia," there was the Doctor, along with Tegan (inappropriately clad in a tight skirt and heels) and Turlough (more on him in a bit), facing off with miners, giant cockroaches, and a forerunner to Max Capricorn (minus the tooth sparkle) in "Frontios."

I watched all four episodes, highly amused by the storyline. For one thing, the Doctor had a point about the hat rack having to go. After all, who else but the Doctor sported any sort of head gear. But then the rack gets a bigger spotlight when Turlough uses it to fend off miners, twirling it around menacingly. Lest you think Turlough comes off as a badass, he suffers a breakdown upon looking at the Tractators. I think they look like roaches designed by Sid & Marty Kroft. A peer of mine suggested they looked like lobsters. Anyway, the Tractators had once invaded his home planet, and they were about to dig through the colony. Also, we have miners getting sunk into the ground and turning into visual white noise in the best special effects 1984 had to offer, and the head guy on the Obamaesque posters turns out to have been hooked into a Tractator mining machine. Sadly, he doesn't get to say anything, let alone camp it up like Max Capricorn.

In the end, I liked "Frontios," at least a lot better than the depression that was "Resurrection Of The Daleks." What did you guys think? Am I missing anything?

Carlos1969

Carlos1969

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

Frontios was okay; it was definitely better than Resurrection.

The one thing I didn't understand was what exactly happened to Kamelion after the Tractators destroyed the Tardis. Wasn't he traveling with the Doctor at this point?

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2009 @ 3:32 PM

Kamelion's absence is just something to ignore. Maybe he did get destroyed and rebuilt along with the TARDIS, but no one ever noticed or cared to mention it.

In real life, I think there was too much difficulty in having him appear on screen, so TPTB just left him out of it.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2009 @ 10:22 PM

One hypothesis I heard was that Kamelion was the hat rack in "Frontios." Which means that Turlough twirling it about gives an opportunity for kinkier slashfic.

And it was nice to see Tegan in inappropriately tight skirts again. I know about the whole "somthin' somethin' from the dad" deal, but you'd think she'd switch to something more comfy while running away from that week's main threat.

Carlos1969

Carlos1969

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

This was a decent episode. I liked the idea of the Doctor and his companions being stranded on a desolate planet, but I never did understand exactly why the Tardis came apart at the end of the first episode. Plus, the Tractators looked silly and lost some of their effect when the Gravis started talking.

AudienceofOne

AudienceofOne

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Do not ask me why but I love Frontios. Maybe it was the sheer campiness of it. Maybe it's because, as bizarre as it sounds, I've always had a bit of a thing for Turlough. I think though that I just always really liked Five's dynamic with his companions, especially Tegan. Companions have always gone with the Doctor for the adventure or because he couldn't get them home. Tegan went with him because she thought he was so hopeless he needed someone to take care of him. I did feel sorry for the actress though running around in those ridiculous heels and short skirt. Janet Fielding always loathed the things they made her wear.