Make It or Break It

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2492 replies to this topic

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

Does anyone know how they are writing Chelsea Hobbs off? Wasn't she the lead of the show (at least nominally)?

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

She wasn't the lead. Some considered her that since we were introduced to the show through her, but I always saw it as an ensemble. Emily has already been written off. That was the whole pregnancy story and her running away and Damon following her. Chelsea's real life pregnancy seems to have upset the writers of the show, because there were other ways they could have written Emily off. Chelsea has said on twitter that there are no plans to bring Emily back. I have no problem with this as Emily was my least favorite of the girls just ahead of Lauren. Of course Summer was my least favorite character of all. I'm mad that she's coming back for at least one episode. I cannot stand her.

Shangrilala

Shangrilala

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

So what does everybody want to see this season? Guesses on storylines?

I was just over reading the gymnastics thread in the sports shows forum and my gymnastics interest is high. There was an article posted about how grueling the USA women's schedule is going to be, there will only be 2 days off in teh days leading up to the Olympic games. I wonder if MIOBI will imitate life and really focus on that road and show the intense pressure that these girls will be under? I'd rather see the interactions in the gym rather than more boy drama. Heh. Who knows. Maybe Marta Karolyi will guest star in the roll of a national team coordinator who plays mind games with the girls to see whose got it and who doesn't...among other things.

Or I suppose that was supposed to be Ellen Beals.

Anisky

Anisky

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

Maybe Marta Karolyi will guest star in the roll of a national team coordinator who plays mind games with the girls to see whose got it and who doesn't...among other things.

Or I suppose that was supposed to be Ellen Beals.

I'm pretty sure that if Marta was on the show, it would be a cameo as opposed to an actual guest star role. Like when Bela Karolyi showed up as Sasha's father.

Interestingly, this year all 5 spots on the US Olympic Women's Team are going to be announced at Olympic Trials, as opposed to previous years where only the top 2 were officially going and the rest of the team was chosen at the Karolyi ranch in the following weeks. Apparently there isn't enough time for that this year (I'm not entirely sure why they can't move up the season a little so there will be time, but whatever. I'm sure it has to do with when the athletes peak or something). As I'm guessing that's how MIOBI is going to go about it-- much more dramatic if the girls can be like "ALL MY HOPES AND DREAMS REST ON THIS ONE COMPETITION!!!"-- at least it's likely to feel slightly more realistic, if only in that broken-clock kind of way.

This season I wan to see Payson win All-Around gold. An All-Around Silver and a gold on an Event Final, a la Shawn Johnson, would also be acceptable.

MommaLode

MommaLode

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

Since Damon left to be with Emily, it looks like Hobbs getting pregnant right in the middle of filming cost Johnny Pacar (Damon) a job as well. I wonder if it cost Susan Ward(Emily's mother) her job?

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

I don't think Ward is coming back. The parents of the remaining 3 regulars are not appearing as often this season.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

From what I have read, it seems like this season is going to focus pretty exclusively on the girls getting ready for the Olympic Trials/Olympics. You can get pictures and details from ABC Family's website. We're getting a new coach (presumably the Olympic coach?) and other new gymnasts to compere against.

Personally, I'll be happy if this season focuses more on the gym and less on the core girl trying to sabotage each other (well, mainly Lauren) and their love lives in general.

Payson for the gold!!

Edited by catray, Mar 23, 2012 @ 9:43 PM.

Anisky

Anisky

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Why does Lauren always have to be awful in every way possible? I hope that whatever is making her dizzy is some terminal illness and next week they find out she has six months to live. No wait, then they might do this "let her live her dream before she dies" thing. Two months. No way she can keep training then!

Ahem. Sorry. I just want her off my screen!

Obviously gymnasts not having skills ready 8 weeks before the Olympics is hilarious and would never actually happen. Payson is there to up her difficulty? Uhh, no. If you don't have it by 2 months before the Olympics, you don't have it for the Olympics. You can't get something consistent in that amount of time!

Where is Kelly Parker? I like Kelly Parker! Her name was up on the board so I'm holding out hope she'll still be in the show.

I rather enjoyed the Junior girl, whatever-her-name-is. Though I don't for one second believe that they wouldn't already know who she is and what she can do. The world of elite gymnastics is kinda small. I mean, I guess in MIOBI world they don't have camp every few months so they don't really have any times they'd meet and get to know each other, but still, don't you think these girls would keep track of their competition?

And-- “Jordan”? Really? They named one of their gymnasts Jordan? The outsider who isn't even supposed to be at camp, at that? That's just... weird, MIOBI writers. Are we supposed to be thinking of Jordyn Wieber or not? Either option seems kind of bizarre since the show's Jordan is like in the opposite position of real-life Jordyn (as close to a lock as you can get).

I still love Payson and she's pretty much the only reason for me to watch this show, but these girls have to be some of the least mentally tough gymnasts ever. Every time something goes wrong in their life they let it mess up their gymnastics. Payson strikes me more as an Aly Raisman type who, no matter WHAT may happen, will stay on that beam.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

If you don't have it by 2 months before the Olympics, you don't have it for the Olympics.

I thought it was 2 months before announcing the team, not two months before the actual Olympics. But the same is probably true for that. I felt like there was a lot less about the actual gymnastics that there used to be. We saw the girls hanging out in their dorm more than in the gym.

Also, are they just not going to tell us who medaled individually at Worlds?

dramagrrl

dramagrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

I'm willing to bet that they end this season (which I think is supposed to be the final season of the show) with only the team competition at the Olympics, and we never find out who medals individually or wins the all-around.

I disapprove of the direction this season seems to be taking because it means much less Sasha Belov! Failure.

Anisky

Anisky

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

I thought it was 2 months before announcing the team, not two months before the actual Olympics.

Usually they're just about the same thing, though this year they're asking to have the women's team finalized earlier than usual, so it's about four weeks between when the team is named and when the Olympics happen. In previous quads there was much less time in between announcing the team and going to the Olympics, but since that's more of a quirk of Marta Karolyi, who doesn't exist in MIOBI-universe, more variation there is realistic enough anyway.

Omigod, I know, right?? What is up with that? Especially since Mr. New Coach Man (yeah, I'm not so good at names) was all, "Landing on one foot was a neat stunt, but it doesn't win medals." And I was like, "Wait, so Payson DIDN'T medal? Because I thought we got the idea that she medaled on vault. But if she didn't medal, then she got a supremely crappy deal from the Grrl Bars people, so why is she so happy about the Grrl Bars? I am very confused now."

Of course, actually trying to make sense of Make It or Break It is always confusing-- don't get me started on the million ways that the timeline makes NO SENSE AT ALL WHATSOEVER EVEN INTERNALLY-- so I probably need to just let it go.

I felt like there was a lot less about the actual gymnastics that there used to be. We saw the girls hanging out in their dorm more than in the gym.

Yeah, I'm actually rather okay with that. When I want to watch gymnastics, I'll watch a gymnastics competition on YouTube. They just don't have the resources to make it very impressive on MIOBI, plus they have to do all the camera stuff to hide it being a stunt double.

I used to really enjoy the gymnastics scenes most on MIOBI, so then it occurred to me that I should just watch the real thing. A year and a half later I'm a pretty avid fan, but now I notice how bad the gymnastics on the show actually is, so yeah.

Edited by Anisky, Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

Yay MIOBI is back!

First and most important: what the hell is up with Sasha's hair?! Pouty face over here-- it looked terrible. However, still swooning over the Sasha/Payson gold medal scene. I'm begging-- can this please happen at the end of the season?

Argh, Lauren is still annoying as hell. Stealing Payson's mail?! Girl, stop it right now. I don't care if Lauren is dizzy-- they can't do another eating disorder right? I wonder if it's diabetes or something. However, they seemed to indicate that she had a ringing in her ears, so maybe some sort of balance disorder?

So Jordan is the new Emily? Right. I really wish the coach had stood his ground. I know I am supposed to feel sorry for this poor homeless gymnast but I really just wish they had made her an up-and-coming junior instead of giving her this sob story. I'm rolling my eyes. Her attitude sucks and I'm sorry, but I don't like her. I'm fine with competition for our girls, but this girl is pissing me off.

Kelly Parker was definitely missing, especially considering her name was on the board. I hope we see her at some point.

I still love Payson and she's pretty much the only reason for me to watch this show, but these girls have to be some of the least mentally tough gymnasts ever. Every time something goes wrong in their life they let it mess up their gymnastics. Payson strikes me more as an Aly Raisman type who, no matter WHAT may happen, will stay on that beam.

This. So much. Payson is so much better than that. I can understand her being a bit fragile about the whole boy thing, though, but I think she would have worked through it.

I bet the unknown text was from the annoying junior gymnast.

I don't what to feel about the new coach-- he makes good points, but he's also kind of an ass.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

So Jordan is the new Emily? Right. I really wish the coach had stood his ground. I know I am supposed to feel sorry for this poor homeless gymnast but I really just wish they had made her an up-and-coming junior instead of giving her this sob story. I'm rolling my eyes. Her attitude sucks and I'm sorry, but I don't like her. I'm fine with competition for our girls, but this girl is pissing me off.

Ditto. I'm pretty sure this character would annoy the shyte out of me anyway, but the ghost of Emily is just an added layer of uhg. Also, WTF with the camera angles and edits with Jordon's video? A multi-camera setup and and editing program? Sure, why not?

And I also noticed Kelly Parker's name on the board in addition to the Kelly shaped hole in the show itself. How did she get to be my favorite gymnast after Payson?

And big surprise, Lauren still sucks.

Damn you Payson, I can't quit this show and it's all your fault.

MilaNese

MilaNese

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:35 AM

How ridiculous was that flipping onto the roof thing? In my opinion worse than the "dissipating the thugs with cartwheeling" we had a couple of seasons ago.

I am not sure if I like this show or not, felt that way all season last season and this episode did not change that, Lauren is ridiculous, why do they hang out with her? I don't want her to die, but some inner ear problem that makes it impossible for her to do gymnastics? Yeah, I'd be ok with that.
I was also hoping Kelly Parker would come back, but if every day is a week in that camp, if she misses more than a few days she will be automatically out, right? Not in love with new Emily, or new coach, or... well anything. But I do like the training camp atmosphere with more young people and no parent drama (hopefully). And far far away from any kind of music studio for Kayleigh!

Not sure if Payson's awesomeness will be enough to keep me interested through an entire season.

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 5:07 AM

Not sure if Payson's awesomeness will be enough to keep me interested through an entire season.

Hahah! Isn't it a shorter-than-normal season? Still not sure Payson is awesome enough? Me neither! I will almost certainly watch the entire season though, b/c I must know what happens. Damn MIOBI addict! Silly because I was totally fine without it and almost forgot about it entirely!

soy latte

soy latte

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

The rooftop flips were crazy silly, and oh so hilarious. But I did like Lauren's comment about Max running off to the Hamptons/Revenge reference.

Ptzop

Ptzop

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

I missed Kelly Parker, but did not miss parent drama at all. Thank goodness there is no more of that religious lady from Full House.

I suppose it is character growth for Lauren that she just resealed the letter instead of using the breakup against Payton? But, she did make sure to try to watch Payton read the bad news.

I felt sorry for the actress who played Lauren, though, because although she is probably a size 2 she looked a lumpy and out of shape compared to the whip-thin girls in the "jumping around in leotards" scene.

I think the new coach was miscast, he has zero intensity and I don't think anyone at that level of sports has zero intensity.

Homeless bunny girl living in a tent & not doing any conditioning is going to metal. That is probably more unrealistic than the flip onto the roof.

I do like the wrestling team. Taking the girls away from the Rock is a breath of fresh air - works for me.

stillbored

stillbored

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

I thought this episode was ok. I hate that the break up affected Payson's training. And Max was a jerk to wait until the day she started training at the Olympic center to break up with her. He had several weeks to do that so that she could get over it. (I did laught when Austin said that Max kissed him too).

Lauren on the rooftop was ridiculous. But who sent the text to the coach? Was it the guys? or that annoying girl (who I want to slap)?

I'm sure all 3 girls will make the team, and I hope that Payson comes out on top. She deserves it. Although her back must be doing great since she carried Kaylie on her back.

Cherzdotes

Cherzdotes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

Homeless bunny girl living in a tent & not doing any conditioning is going to metal. That is probably more unrealistic than the flip onto the roof.

Yeah, I have serious qualms about this. There's no way a homeless / foster kid gets to that level of gymnastics. Where would she train? How would she possibly afford that? Even if she worked out a deal with her local YMCA to use their equipment, she'd still have no coach, and you can't learn those skills on your own. But honestly, I can't even fanwank the Y thing because of the hours of practice that's required to reach that level of performance. Sorry. I just can not suspend disbelief here.

I felt sorry for the actress who played Lauren, though, because although she is probably a size 2 she looked a lumpy and out of shape compared to the whip-thin girls in the "jumping around in leotards" scene.

Agreed. Payson is not any better.

Edited because 'can' and 'can't' don't actually mean the same thing.

Edited by Cherzdotes, Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:05 AM.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Isn't it a shorter-than-normal season? Still not sure Payson is awesome enough? Me neither! I will almost certainly watch the entire season though, b/c I must know what happens. Damn MIOBI addict! Silly because I was totally fine without it and almost forgot about it entirely!

I believe MIOBI was only green-lit for 8 episodes (so far), so I'm assuming this is probably the last season and that we'll end up at the Olympics (maybe). If this is indeed the case, I'm prepared to ride it out. I want to find out what happens and I love Payson so I'm in. I'm addicted to this show!

I am liking the girls at the training center-- away from the drama of the previous seasons (no parents, fewer boys, no singing, etc). I don't know if the US Olympic hopefuls do meet up at some training center, but I'm always curious to know what happens at places like the Olympic Village, so it's cool to see the girls meeting up with other athletes.

Yeah, I have serious qualms about this. There's no way a homeless / foster kid gets to that level of gymnastics. Where would she train? How would she possibly afford that? Even if she worked out a deal with her local YMCA to use their equipment, she'd still have no coach, and you can learn those skills on your own. But honestly, I can't even fanwank the Y thing because of the hours of practice that's required to reach that level of performance. Sorry. I just can not suspend disbelief here.

I'm with you all the way. It was clear from her conversation with the truck driver that she had been in several foster homes and I just don't see how she could sustain a high enough level of training to be able to complete some amazing move that no one else can do. Ugh. It's impossible to ignore.

Coco2

Coco2

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Yeah, I was hoping they would make Kelly Parker the new fourth gymnast, replacing Emily. I imagine the actress might have other commitments. She has been pretty busy in movie-of-the-week land. Or maybe there is some other reason we haven't seen her much yet.

I don't mind adding a new gymnast, but yeah, why did they have to basically bring in Emily2? An underprivileged natural. Yeah, been there done that. And as others have said, there is no way without constant training and conditioning and an excellent coach that she could be that good. Yeah, maybe at some point, someone was backing her and she got really amazing but if it hasn't been recently... Also, no way that coach had discretion to just let someone into the training camp on a whim. There must be some sort of process the girls went through to get there.

I would rather the fourth be the young juniors champ, some phenom peaking at the right time. Not necessarily the girl who reminds me so, so much of Zoeey Deschanel. But they could have cast someone in that role. Or maybe even someone who was trying to get or had recently gotten U.S. citizenship for a chance to compete. Someone they weren't counting on.

They need fewer hijinks. The statue prank is cute and I don't mind it, but all the parties and running around and stuff. It is all unrealistic.

I really hope only 2 Roc girls make it to the Olympics. I don't know why. It just seems like a storyline in which one of them has to face all those years of trying and not even making the team would be gut-wrenching drama.

Shangrilala

Shangrilala

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

I'm confused. Is this the 8 weeks leading up to trials, or the 8 weeks leading up to the Olympics, and ENDING with the Olympics?

I'd better get the Olympics and Payson with the all around!

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

I don't believe the show reaches the Olympics in these 8 episodes...there are semi-qualifications in episode 5 and I figure episode 8 is centered around who makes the team.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

The statue prank is cute and I don't mind it, but all the parties and running around and stuff. It is all unrealistic.

Seriously. This episode left me wondering why they had all those rules about no boyfriends and no partying and now that they are true contenders for the Olympics they can party like it's 1999. Shouldn't they be working harder now?

Things I didn't like:

New Emily. She's actually worse than old Emily. At least Old Emily had Chloe. I miss Chloe.
Lauren, still. Don't care if she's ill. Don't care if she dies. Actually, I might like it.
So little Sasha. That's the biggest mistake this show made. Sasha was a big draw IMO.
Annoying younger girl, though if she keeps harassing Lauren she might grow on me.
That ridiculous flippy crap Lauren did to get up to the roof complete with some of the worst CGI I've seen since the boat scene in Ringer.

Things I liked:

Payson
Payson and Sasha having a scene together
Parents out of the picture
um...the Max/Hamptons thing was funny (the actor is now on Revenge set in the Hamptons, though it is weird to think of Payson hooking up with Daniel Greyson).

Overall:

I wasn't sure I even wanted to watch it, but I did. I'm not sure how long I'll stick around because I just don't like or care about anyone except Payson at this point. Sasha and Chloe too but Chloe is totally gone and Sasha appears to be very nearly gone. :(

brenaugirl

brenaugirl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

Tip to the writers: making your new "scrappy" character grandstand and insult the main characters we've grown to love (or love to hate) is not the way to endear her to the audience.

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

Kelly Parker will be on the show next week. There is a preview scene on Hulu for next week's episode between Kelly and Kaylie, and another preview scene at the gym which includes Kelly.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

I really hope only 2 Roc girls make it to the Olympics. I don't know why. It just seems like a storyline in which one of them has to face all those years of trying and not even making the team would be gut-wrenching drama.

This is what will happen

Two of the girls will get on the team, one as the star and one in the middle. The third will be an alternate and will get called in to do the vault or beam after someone gets hurt (probably Kelly Parker).

T Scrumptious

T Scrumptious

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

What's with Sasha's new hair? Are they trying (and failing) to make him look like Alexader Skaarsgard? He looked better before.

I hope we find out what's wrong with Lauren soon. It's either a brain tumor or a balance disorder...either can exclude her from the Olympic team! Yay!

soy latte

soy latte

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

I'll mix it up and hope for a balance tumor, since we know she has a brain disorder already. Sure, it's not a real thing, but this show isn't high on realism anyway.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

What's with Sasha's new hair? Are they trying (and failing) to make him look like Alexader Skaarsgard? He looked better before.

He was filming period drama Upstairs, Downstairs in the UK for a lot of the time MIOBI was filming, which explains both the hair as well as why they needed to get a new coach.