The Little Couple

• Please log in to reply

2691 replies to this topic

RedheadZombie

RedheadZombie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 8:14 PM

That little boy at the park giving Bill the 3rd degree annoyed the shit outta me. Where was his mother? That wasn't cute.

Zack Roloff once said children found him fascinating and would follow him around in stores. It was irritating, but Bill was an awesome role model for how his kids should handle this situation.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 8:49 PM

Where was his mother?

Off camera signing releases so the little boy could appear on the show?

If Bill wanted it to stop, I'm sure he has a way to end those types of conversations. I bet it isn't that rare.

parisprincess

parisprincess

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 8:56 PM

I can understand kids being inquisitive, but I too was annoyed with the kid following Bill around .  However, I admire Bill for how he handled it.  Educating the kid was better than ignoring him or acting put out by the attention. 

prostitutewhore

prostitutewhore

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 9:36 PM

And better to ask questions and be forthright (I'm taller than you), then be a bully down the road.

Do you mean "than be a bully?" I hope you don't mean that he will then be a bully.

If that was my son, I would never all that kind of questioning of an adult. Very rude. That just gives away the fact that his parents are not teaching him manners.

To whomever brought up that Jen and Bill need to develop "that voice" that stops kids in their tracks - that's so true. I scare myself when I use that voice.

CousinAmy

CousinAmy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 9:37 PM

I noticed in the credits that there is a "Set Teacher." I'm wondering if that is a teacher who is tutoring Will during the filming days? (I can't imagine what else that title would mean.) I agree with another poster who said they probably have assistance during outings - they didn't show the nanny on the San Francisco trip but that definitely would have been a big help to have her along. 

Another difference between Will and Zoey, beside just their chronological ages, is that Will is more verbal than Zoey. He's starting to express himself in short sentences, while Zoey doesn't seem to speak yet. So they are able to set down rules and can expect Will to understand and follow, whereas with her, they can't be sure how much she's processing. 

I think with a combination of a nanny and a teacher during filming days, they are probably on the right track with safety and discipline. 

BitterApple

BitterApple

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 9:47 PM

IIRC there were two little boys asking questions at the park. One seemed genuinely curious, but I thought the other was obnoxious and rude as hell. He was the one who kept exclaiming "I'm taller than you!" And not for nothing, but I thought he was old enough to know better than to say something like that. He wasn't some little toddler still socializing and learning manners.

Bill is such a good egg, but I wish he'd told the kid something like "yeah you may be taller but I can still kick your ass."

zenme

zenme

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 9:52 PM

Ha,BitterApple, that's what hubby said!

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 11:02 PM

That little boy at the park giving Bill the 3rd degree annoyed the shit outta me. Where was his mother? That wasn't cute.

Yeah, it wasn't cute. I was in Safeway last weekend and a young boy (5? I'm terrible with kid ages) was there with his mom. A man came down the aisle who had obvious physical difficulties--able to walk without help but it looked like only just, with a twisted spine and a bad limp. The kid started squawking at the top of his lungs to his mom, "hey! look at that man!" over and over, and continued until the man passed through the aisle. The mom completely ignored it the whole time. Great parenting there, mom. I thought Bill handled the rude little boy (who was not nearly as rude as my Safeway boy) quite well.

I had an absolutely s*%$ty day yesterday and watched Tuesday's episode when I got home. It was the best 30 minutes of my day (22 sans commercials). Such a delightful family. 

goldensglitter

goldensglitter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 11:18 PM

I've seen Jen run through those hospital hallways, but I do worry about Jen not being physically able to control the kids when they are misbehaving.  I think the mother adrenalin would kick in if she thought one of the kids were in trouble and she probably would be like superwoman, agreed?

roamyn

roamyn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 6:56 AM

Yes, PW I meant "than".

Stupid android auto correct.

elisabethbaci

elisabethbaci

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 7:48 AM

I'm not sure it's safe to make assumptions about parenting when they are so many kids with various levels of autism and other things these days. .You never know the kid who was bothering Bill could have had issues. Kids like that just don't know boundaries. Anyway the scene did remind me of when I was a child and did see a dwarf and at first I thought it was a kid but the kid looked old. It's weird for a kid. Especially Bill was in a playground and they all thought he was a kid until they saw his face so to ask "how old are you?" didn't seem to rude to me. Just curiosity where an adult knows to stifle it a kid just doesn't. Some kids but not all.

bingobangobungo

bingobangobungo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 9:43 AM

It truly was just curious kids for the first time in a fun store. Bill and Jen were picking everything up behind them and then did get them under control in the stroller. I'm sure a camera crew was more troublesome than those kids were. It's just life with small kids!

Loved Bill's explanation to the questioning kids about his height. I'm sure he gets it often. The behavior by the one who kept asking him was the kind I would have been embarrassed over if I were the parent.

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 10:02 AM

Set teacher is a real defined position in TV and film. They do insure that the school age children get the required number of hours of instruction per day. They are also there to make sure that children don't work too long at a time, too long over the course of the day, that they get meal breaks and rest periods, and generally make sure their safety and welfare aren't compromised. They were in Cali filming in San Fran and it was ruled that children in reality shows here are working within the definition of our entertainment laws so all our laws and rules apply. You may not see a set teacher listed for filming outside Cali.

Bavct

Bavct

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 11:52 AM

I'm not sure it's safe to make assumptions about parenting when they are so many kids with various levels of autism and other things these days.

As a mom of two sons with Autism, it's not safe to assume that being on the spectrum or having "other things" is the reason for being an ill-mannered child is either. 

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 12:53 PM

In fairness, when dealing with a rude or misbehaving kid, you're very wrong to assume they might be autistic, but if they are autistic, you are also very wrong to assume they are just rude misbehaving kids. But you're also wrong to ask if they're autistic. This is why I personally don't like being around children I don't know personally. Personally I wasn't horrified by the kid pestering Bill, but there is just such a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing surrounded kids in public, I've been yelled at by too many parents that I'm a monster for not *seeing* the invisible label of autism or "other things" that excuses their child from any and all courtesy or reprimand to really care about discerning the difference. These days I just look for the parent and ask them to handle their kid. I wonder where the parent was while Bill was being pestered.

PecanSandie

PecanSandie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 1:29 PM

Set teacher info was so interesting! Thanks ABSO.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 4:20 PM

I wonder if the thing with the pesky kids was set up for the show, or whether the kids were being encouraged to keep talking to Bill.  While I do think this show is tons more real than most reality TV, it still is a "reality" show...

jodo

jodo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 4:48 PM

The kid that was questioning Bill also kept looking at the camera I thought.  I noticed Will gave the evil eye too while he was face down with his beep beeps or something, he looked up at somebody with his wtf look....lol

smallpea8

smallpea8

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 5:01 PM

I wonder if the thing with the pesky kids was set up for the show, or whether the kids were being encouraged to keep talking to Bill. While I do think this show is tons more real than most reality TV, it still is a "reality" show...

If it was set up for the show, then they absolutely nailed that part of being a little person. The reactions of young children can be absolutely priceless. elisabethbaci explained it best when she said they think they are seeing a kid but wait a minute why does the kid look old? Why is she carrying a purse? Does this place actually allow kids to work here? Is she a "little Momma?" Then there are the ones that are so busy staring at you, they walk into a wall.

But with older kids, they do exactly what that kid did. "I'm taller than you!" "How old are you?" Bill was so patient with him but I could just sense his eternal thought process: "This kid doesn't know any better. I have to be patient with him. I'm probably the first little person he's ever seen in person. I've got to set a good example for Will and Zoey because they are going to have to deal with this so much but I kind of wish he would just leave us alone."

ButterQueen

ButterQueen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

I remember the episode where Jen and Bill spoke to that class of children about being little, bullying, etc. They encouraged, received, and answered many questions. So I am sure Bill was ok with it. He is so kind.

With everything this family has gone through, I will not judge their parenting. Their journey is just beginning, even though their children are toddlers.

CoCoYoYo

CoCoYoYo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 1:32 PM

Zack Roloff once said children found him fascinating and would follow him around in stores. It was irritating, but Bill was an awesome role model for how his kids should handle this situation.

When I was around 8 years old, I attended a YMCA day camp. One of the counselors was an achondroplasic dwarf. I don't know if this was by choice but she worked with the pre-K/kindergarten kids. They LOVED her. Absolutely adored her. I guess it was nice to have an authority figure who was on their level, physically speaking.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 05:49 PM

Zoey the (partial) Easter Bunny! From Jen's Twitter.

https://twitter.com/...860006566580224

There're also a couple new pics--I think just of Zoey--on Jen's Instagram page (I think under "jenarnoldmd", just like her Twitter).