Old "The Good Wife" Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

9152 replies to this topic

crystalsage

crystalsage

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 3:38 PM

That was Titus Welliver (of recent Lost and Supernatural fame)

And Deadwood (R.I.P.)

I watched this show despite JM whom I never liked either, but when I spotted Christine Baranski, I was hooked. Really liked this show although I'm really getting sick of lawyer shows.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 3:39 PM

Wasn't really planning to watch, but there was nothing else on, so I gave it a shot. I won't say it's "Must See" but it certainly kept me interested.

Josh Charles! Josh Charles! Josh Charles!

Had no idea he was going to be in this, so it was a very pleasant surprise - when he first appeared, I blurted out "DANNY!" Been a fan since SN, and it's been too long since I've seen him on my TV (no HBO for me...) The rest of the cast is strong as well, both the leads and supporting players. All I know about the law I've learned from Jack McCoy, so I can give them a pass on some of the courtroom procedure if they keep me entertained, which they did last night.

I was a little tired of the "wow, you're so old to be a new associate" stuff, but I'll chalk that up to pilot-itis, and hope it doesn't return in the future. For now, I'll keep watching.

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 4:06 PM

I wanted to see this for JM and the "slap" -- because don't you know all those women standing next to politicians confessing to some awful thing want to do that afterwards? I really admire Jenni Sanford for refusing to be that woman.

Then she tiptoed into that staff meeting and ... Josh Charles, Christine Baranski? WOW! Great cast and even smaller parts (David Paymer) were fantastic.

Re: the six months time loss. I'm hoping that they jumped ahead for the pilot to show what the show was going to be like, but that they'll show some of the trama of the immediate days after his confession, his trial, etc. in flashbacks that relate to what's happening at the current time.

I also agree that the hooker's book and her husband's appeal would bring all the stuff up again. As Julie Roberts said in "Notting Hill" --pictures are forever. Video is even worse, I think.

I was very pleasantly surprised -- so far I really like it.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 4:17 PM

I didn't understand the judge admonishing Hathaway. Isn't her duty, as the defense attorney, to try to get her client off? It's not as if she made stuff up. She just wanted to see evidence withheld by the police because maybe the police aren't exactly neutral parties in deciding what's relevant.

I wonder how much time the security guard will do for perjury in the first trial. Oh well, at least he knows a good lawyer.

I was surprised to not see a recap up on TWOP. Is there a list somewhere of the new shows they're going to cover this year?

I didn't notice any vampires, supernatural or paranormal activity, singing, a Sopranos connection or much, if any focus, on the sex lives of the young and over privileged. So I'm guessing chances aren't high.

lakergrrrl34

lakergrrrl34

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 5:56 PM

I didn't notice any vampires, supernatural or paranormal activity, singing, a Sopranos connection or much, if any focus, on the sex lives of the young and over privileged. So I'm guessing chances aren't high.

Heh.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 6:01 PM

Julianna Margulies did appear on a few episodes of The Sopranos, so perhaps there is hope.

I have always liked Julianna Margulies and the cast is filled with some real talent (Chris Noth, Christine Baranski, Josh Charles). Although I can't say I thought the pilot was all that great I think I will hold out hope that this show will develop into something good.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 7:53 PM

Had no idea he was going to be in this, so it was a very pleasant surprise

Agreed. I think Josh Charles's character (forget his name) and Alicia are going to flirt. I loved when he called Christine Baranski out on mentoring young female associates until they surpass her, because I have seen this happen.

I don't like the competition with Matt Czurchy's character

I don’t either. I’ve heard of summer associates competing for slots but never two hirees competing to stay. That character is pretty unnecessary – there’s enough with Josh Charles (they went to law school together, there’s sexual tension potential) and Christine Baranski (the fine line between mentorship and rivalry).

The rest of the country may move on, but if you are dealing with the people involved in the scandal on a daily basis, it is much more difficult to let it go.

Plus she was still dealing with the ramifications it had on her day to day life: she was back at work and I’d imagine she’d planned to be a politician’s wife/stay-at-home mom the rest of her days; she’d sold their home because they couldn’t afford it on her salary; her kids had switched schools and were still hearing about it from their peers; her mother-in-law was living with her. Six months isn’t a long time when you’re dealing with something as big as this.

I was hoping for less legal procedure and more scandal aftermath. I actually don’t think I was aware that the character going back to work as a lawyer was part of the plot. It was glossed over, but I wanted to see, like, the conversation that took place immediately after that slap. I wanted to see the kids’s first days at their new school, the financial loss they took (the decision to sell the house and other downsizing), the decision for Grandma to come to stay, what causes the strain between daughter and grandma, etc. So I’ll keep watching a bit and hope they show me those things.

Julia Margulies is beautiful, but I wish she would wear her hair curly. And I hope Chris Noth doesn’t play his character like Mr. Big (toes the line between charming and smarmy), because I was sick of Mr. Big when Sex and the City was on the air. (Love Mike Logan, though – I’m too young to have seen him on L&O “live,” but love seeing reruns from that era. Don’t like Criminal Intent.)

Edited by Empress1, Sep 23, 2009 @ 7:53 PM.

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

• Interests:Television (duh). Pop culture in general. I'm a romance novelist (w/a Evelyn Vaughn) and a college English instructor. Other interests: cats, dogs, bicycling, secret societies (from a fictional standpoint), time-travel (not just from a fictional standpoint), the "reality" of characters and the importance of consistency and organic unity in all forms of fiction.

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 8:42 PM

The rest of the country may move on, but if you are dealing with the people involved in the scandal on a daily basis, it is much more difficult to let it go.

Okay, y'all convinced me--and I'm glad. I *want* reasons to like the show. Especially if Chris Noth stays. I, too, adore Det. Mike Logan.

As for the Slap, and

I was hoping for less legal procedure and more scandal aftermath.

Ditto. If they don't intertwine the "she's a politician's wife and he cheated on her/caused a scandal" element, then that whole part will feel like a cheap hook--the bait before the switch. Clearly her husband can't legally help her with information (he came awfully close this time to breaking the law with that nudge, didn't he?) But what she has learned as a politician's wife, and the connections, and all that could be good.

Or it may be a "I want to cheat on him with my old college friend" drama, which would get old fast.

Favorite line of the night: "You've clearly never made a woman angry."

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

This will be worth tuning into again. I enjoyed it, especially the characters, and I'm intrigued to see how they develop the fallout from Alicia's husband's scandal.

Always happy to see both Josh Charles and Christine Baranski on my tv, and I don't mind Julianna Margulies (though I do wish she was a bit more expressive. This episode I chalked it up to her character being all "stiff upper lip" trying to hold herself together, but I hope she loosens up a bit.)

The pieces of the pro-bono case came together a little bit too nicely, in what? a day or two? And the investigator assisting Alicia was a little over the top with her methods..I hope every episode doesn't involve her loosening a button to get access to a critical piece of evidence. The actress was fine, the character was just used a little weirdly.

I suspect that this will become like Castle, a show to watch more for the dynamics and chemistry of the characters than for the quality of the 'case of the week'. And if the characters are interesting enough and well written, I don't have a problem with that.

And did I mention? Josh Charles!

lottiedottie

lottiedottie

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

Julia Margulies is beautiful, but I wish she would wear her hair curly.

Funny you mention that, as I am a fellow curly head and last night DH asked me if I was disappointed that Juliana went straight. LOL!

uclagirl

uclagirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 11:12 PM

Let's learn about why a smart woman makes the initial decision to stay with a man in this situation.

Actually, "I was unprepared" was the first time that decision (at least in the short term) has made sense to me.

Julia Margulies is beautiful, but I wish she would wear her hair curly.

I love her hair curly, but I don't think this character would wear her hair that way. And speaking of looks, Kalinda does not look 25. Probably because the actress is 37. In fact, I think it would make more sense for her to be a few years older, but then you wouldn't get that "I was 12" line--which is the only reason for her to be 25. Not much of a reason, really.

And I hope Chris Noth doesnít play his character like Mr. Big (toes the line between charming and smarmy), because I was sick of Mr. Big when Sex and the City was on the air. (Love Mike Logan, though Ė Iím too young to have seen him on L&O ďlive,Ē but love seeing reruns from that era. Donít like Criminal Intent.)

I've been a fan of CN since L&O Prime was the only L&O there was--the CI Mike Logan was a different guy played by the same actor, IMO. I do like the casting, but this seems way too Lifetime to me, too. We'll give it another week, but I really don't see why this is a series instead of a movie-of-the-week type production.

And while I do like JM, I'm going to need to see more of her finding happiness, and less of the Juliana Mope-ulies that seems to be her default. I'm certainly not going to tune in every week for The Morose Wife.

Edited by uclagirl, Sep 23, 2009 @ 11:23 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 4:01 PM

I didn't understand the judge admonishing Hathaway. Isn't her duty, as the defense attorney, to try to get her client off?

I'm not sure which incident(s) you're referring to, but I seem to recall the judge reminding her that she had to follow prescribed procedures. It was actually refreshing (to me) to see the judge sustain so many of the prosecution's objections when "Hathaway" (good lord, what is the good wife's name?) clearly violated rules of evidence. (I'm not an attorney, but I was on a jury once and was amazed at how differently questioning proceeds in a real courtroom than in those portrayed in TV.)

sacreseries

sacreseries

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 4:30 PM

It's been a long time since I've watched a law show. I'm not usually a fan of that, and I'm not a fan of The good wife.
I think the pilot was good, not too much drama. But I have to admit, if it wasn't for Josh Charles I wouldn't probably care.

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 5:00 PM

I really liked this. I mean, I want to know what happens next so that's got to be a good thing, right? Also, while I join everyone in their delight over the appearance of Josh Charles, I need to point out that before he was Danny, he was Knox Overstreet and he broke my adolescent heart.

Yvaughn

Yvaughn

Fanatic

• Interests:Television (duh). Pop culture in general. I'm a romance novelist (w/a Evelyn Vaughn) and a college English instructor. Other interests: cats, dogs, bicycling, secret societies (from a fictional standpoint), time-travel (not just from a fictional standpoint), the "reality" of characters and the importance of consistency and organic unity in all forms of fiction.

Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 5:10 PM

I need to point out that before he was Danny, he was Knox Overstreet and he broke my adolescent heart.

THANK YOU!!! I've watched all of Sports Night, and had the niggling feeling that I recognized Danny, but not enough to put my finger on it. It's probably b/c SN is a comedy, and Dead Poets was a tragedy.

I adored Knox Overstreet!

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 5:04 PM

I never heard of this Josh Charles person and it's funny that he's so beloved and recognized for being on a show (Sports Night?) that apparently few people watched.

Anyway, I liked the show a lot and I've always liked Juliana Margulies. As someone said, the curly hair wouldn't suit her character - neither a political wife nor an attorney would wear their hair all wild and naturally curly. Only smoothly restrained locks will do in those circumstances.

Maybe it was marketed differently in Canada, but the whole "scandalized wife goes to work as a lawyer" didn't surprise me and I actually expected this to be a legal drama.

As for the title, I take it as being facetious. As in, The "Good" Wife. She's doing what's expected of her - standing by her man publicly - when her truly good act is supporting her family. At least TPTB didn't get all cutesy and actually give her "Good" as her last name; that would have been horrendously cheesy.

KateL

KateL

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 7:28 AM

I have just watched this. I had heard it was good and then it was Ok so I didn't really know what to expect. I'm not good at getting interested in new dramas and I usually need a string of episodes to hook me in. So I wasn't too optimistic about getting there on a pilot viewing.

I was hooked at the end of the pilot. I liked the strong female characters. And the relationships between JM's character and her husband, the state prosecutor, the JC character, her mentor, her children, her investigator etc etc all give the writers a lot of potential material to work on. The fact that the pro bono storyline had some resonance with Alicia's own situation was a nice nudge and it was done well. Underplayed rather than overplayed. I am also hoping that the case links with her husband's career were to establish the character and the situation and are not going to be an ongoing theme.

It was good to see Josh Charles back on screen - I loved him in Sports Night too. I can also see too much Mr Big in Chris Noth's portrayal and, because of that, I hope that he doesn't take a prominent role. I can cope with the character in SATC but I don't need Mr Big in other things too.

The Good Wife seems more ABC than CBS but it also seems classier than an ABC drama somehow.

I shall definitely be watching next week.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 7:52 AM

The Good Wife seems more ABC than CBS but it also seems classier than an ABC drama somehow.

I suspect one reason is that it didn't have ABC's annoying "this is scene is supposed to be funny" soundtrack music playing during the less dramatic scenes. Plus, it's a legal drama but William Shatner is nowhere to be seen.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Sep 26, 2009 @ 7:53 AM.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 7:53 AM

On ABC she'd be sleeping with Josh Charles in pursuit of a romantic relationship while also sleeping with the Carey on the side for perks (and he'd want a "relationship" with her, but she wouldn't), all the while being ridiculously torn up over her husband, which she would demonstrate in a vaguely emotional monologue/outburst to Christine Baranski.

That certainly would denigrate it.

And word on the "This is supposed to be funny music."

As to the show. I liked it. I never, ever, watched ER so I'm not all that familiar with Juliana Marguilles except for old guest spots she did on Homicide, and a few other shows. She did a great job. And I'm glad she went for straight hair. Frizzy, curly hair is a massive turnoff.

Loved Christine Baranski. Loved the way every line came off as a directive. SAnd to put my William Shatner hat on, there is something oddly sexy about that woman. he's officially my third favourite TV lawyer. Glenn Close can go rot with her botoxed forehead.

That kid's mumbly delivery bugged me a bit. The In-House grew on me, but I thought her line readings at the start were pretty crappy.

Only ever seen Noth on L&O. Does he change his voice for every role? It was a lot more "proper" than I remember.

There's no way in hell a doctor would wind up on a jury, though, right?

Edited by boewyr, Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:05 AM.

shimi

shimi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 11:01 AM

I taped this on a whim and rather liked it by the end. The currency of JM's character's situation gives what is a basic procedural show some bite and resonance, with enough backstory and fallout potential to support lots of future storylines.

The cast is strong with lots of HITG!moments.. anyone notice "Jen's grandmother" from Dawson's Creek playing the M-I-L? And the case was probably quite unrealistic, as pointed out fairly by many posters, but I got absorbed anyway.

I disagree that the show/plot diverted from the promise of the slap. JM's character's many humiliations at work all stemmed from her co-workers' reactions to her situation, and the power players at the trial were also quite aware and resentful. I don't want to see every week be about A Special Case, but I'm open to seeing how they play out JM's situation as her professional life evolves. I'm sure we will continue to see the whispers and snickers in her everyday life, but I don't want to watch the Lifetime Movie Special either.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 11:09 AM

I never heard of this Josh Charles person and it's funny that he's so beloved and recognized for being on a show (Sports Night?) that apparently few people watched.

Then you must go find the DVD's and watch it and cry along with the rest of us about its premature cancellation. Or just check out the very active thread dedicated to the show here on TWOP.

I had read that Josh Charles would be on this show but was wary of all the commercials that featured way too much Chris Noth. It was a pleasant surprise to find that Noth is just a guest star / recurring character, while Charles has a big role. I'm looking forward to his character, as well as Christine Baranski's.

I'm not all that familiar with Juliana Marguilles except for old guest spots she did on Homicide,

Me, either. I never watched even one episode of ER -- I just remember her as somebody's girlfriend who played the cello on Homicide. That was quite a while ago! But she sure does love her Botox, hmm? The double edged sword of high definition, I guess. Actresses want to appear wrinkle-free but the clarity of the picture just points out what they've done to get that way. A no-win situation. But as long as the writing and acting hold up, I'll forgive her a little pharmaceutical help.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 11:30 AM

Yeah, iirc it was in that four episode season and she was a waitress that Bolander kind of awkwardly started dating. There was a great little montage of them playing a cello (crap, what did Bolander play?) intercut with all this awesome drama in one of them. Her second and last episode had her thankfully not hooking up with Munch while on a date with Bolander, despite the SuperIntenseSexualChemistry.

Heh, to have sexual chemistry with Richard Belzer she has to be good.

The double edged sword of high definition, I guess. Actresses want to appear wrinkle-free but the clarity of the picture just points out what they've done to get that way. A no-win situation. But as long as the writing and acting hold up, I'll forgive her a little pharmaceutical help.

You can almost always tell by looking at their necks. It didn't seem to affect her performance all that much, so I remain somewhat convinced/satisfied. It's not a Glenn Close situation, which was just unfortunate. Didn't help that she had a haircut that drew massive attention to her motionless forehead. Anyway, back to this show...

...I liked that it wasn't overdone. This whole premise and setting could have led to a bunch of painful over the top speeches, monologues, outbursts and Dramatic!Moments! etc but it avoided them for the most part. It wasn't as minimalist as say Law & Order or as deliberately witholding as Mad Men. I also like that technology, trends etc were mentioned in passing but not made a big deal of. "It was on "Funny or Die" apparently that's cool or something..."

I'm assuming this was shot in a building as opposed to a set. That office looked masssive.

uclagirl

uclagirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 11:41 AM

There's no way in hell a doctor would wind up on a jury, though, right?

Why not? I know lawyers who have been on juries. Specialties often play a role in that decision.

telly

telly

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 2:17 PM

I don't know if it's different in the States, but lawyers in Canada have their names removed from the jury pool once they are called to the bar. Even law students and articling students are not permitted to be on a jury. I think part of it has to do with the likelihood that they would know the lawyers or judges on the case, and part of it would be that they would know too much in terms of procedure and would be able to undermine the cases presented by each side. Lawyers and law students tend to be notoriously bad witnesses because often they try to outthink the lawyer doing cross-examination, and nothing of substance comes out of it.

In any case, I thought the Good Wife was okay, as long as I ignored the actual law parts of the show. They need to step away from the procedure aspect because they have gotten it so incredibly wrong. Christine Baranski would find herself the subject of a legal malpractice action had the trial been lost because you would never ever let an associate who has not practiced law in years take first chair on a murder retrial with days left before the actual trial. Not getting paid for something is not an excuse to not show up. At the very least, they should have had the JM character do all the leg work and have CB at least physically attend the trial. In fact from what I could learn from the script, it appears as though JM only practiced 2 years before she quit to have kids, and so she wouldn't even have had the experience before she left to handle a murder trial with a jury. The aspect that was interesting would be to address how the other lawyers, especially the women, would deal with her returning, especially because leaving after 2 years doesn't seem like she was that serious in the first place about being a lawyer, kids or no.
Also, it would be likely that a murder trial wouldn't be pro bono, but have at least some legal aid given to the firm. Especially for a retrial, where the accused's resources would be drained and she truly would be financially destitute.

Research Girl

Research Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 2:32 PM

For anyone who is interested, the episode is available on Itunes for free.

He always makes me think of Dead Poet's Society.

I loved seeing Archie Panjabi. She was great in Bend it like Beckham, but I haven't seen her in anything else.

I thought the procedural was so-so. What I really wanted to see was more of the scandal. I really hope there is an entire episode devoted to her finding out. The whole stand by your man thing has a lot of levels. Its humiliating, but at the same time not standing by him will create a bigger scandal for you and your children. And I'm sure some of these wives are just in shock.

I also felt it stretched credulity that the scandal was so very big, six months later. How many of us are still talking about Spitzer, or Vitter, or Craig?

Hearing the name, particularly when it is a less common name, sparks a memory. Not so long ago I was at the Natural History Museum in NYC. One of the sections was financed by Spitzerís parents and is marked with their name. I totally thought of the whole hooker thing the second I saw it. His poor, devoutly religious parents!

uclagirl

uclagirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 3:48 PM

I don't know if it's different in the States, but lawyers in Canada have their names removed from the jury pool once they are called to the bar. Even law students and articling students are not permitted to be on a jury.

It's different in the States. In fact, I know someone who served not just on the jury, but as foreman, while a law student.

He always makes me think of Dead Poet's Society.

Same here. Didn't really care for him in that. Neither UCLAhusband nor I has ever been much of a fan, and both of us instantly identified him as a reason not to be terribly interested in the show.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 3:55 PM

I don't know if it's different in the States, but lawyers in Canada have their names removed from the jury pool once they are called to the bar.

Itís definitely different. I had jury duty in February and wasnít selected to be on the jury, but there were maybe 4 or 5 lawyers in the pool (this is NYC, there are a lot of lawyers here) and two of them ended up on the jury. My best friend and her husband, both lawyers (who went to Georgetown Law, where Juliana Margulies's character went - I smiled when that was revealed), have served on juries.

[Josh Charles] always makes me think of Dead Poet's Society.

Me too. Also Donít Tell Mom the Babysitterís Dead (shut up, I was 11 and that was the year my parents started dropping me and friends off at the theater by ourselves). Iíve never seen Sports Night.

One of the sections was financed by Spitzerís parents and is marked with their name. I totally thought of the whole hooker thing the second I saw it.

Yeah, I donít spend time actively thinking about McGreevey or Spitzer, but when I hear their names, their scandals are the first thing that come to mind. And because Chris Nothís character was a stateís attorney, his wife going back to work as an attorney means sheís running in circles where people know her husband and the scandal is a bigger deal than it is to the average person.

boewyr

boewyr

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:02 PM

Why not? I know lawyers who have been on juries. Specialties often play a role in that decision.

I was taught that, at least here, doctors would easily be excused from jury duty becase they offer a pretty essential service to society. Might be different in the states.

uclagirl

uclagirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 9:58 PM

I was taught that, at least here, doctors would easily be excused from jury duty becase they offer a pretty essential service to society. Might be different in the states.

It probably varies from one jurisdiction to another, but I've never heard of any specific profession being excused simply on that basis.

Ktwo

Ktwo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

Finally watched the pilot and I'm in for a bit. Good stuff. Thanks to the lawyers for weighing in on the things they got wrong, though. As a realtor, I would like to point out that it's laughable if those three pages that Julianna brought to Chris in prison were supposed to be a contract for the sale of their house. Those run at least 50 pages in the three jurisdictions where I work.

And hee to the poster who mentioned the good wife's "stiff upper lip," because I was totally distracted not by JM's botox, but by the collagen in her upper lip.

Edited by Ktwo, Sep 27, 2009 @ 1:56 AM.