Life Unexpected: Parental Discretion Advised

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1528 replies to this topic

ShelleySue

ShelleySue

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 10:42 AM

I can't believe I posted something so long and completely forgot to add my very favorite part in the whole series -- Lux calling Cate and Baze "Mom and Dad." That's when I started crying.

BonnieD

BonnieD

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 10:58 AM

I have just one question...Where was the kitchen sink because everything else possible was tossed in there. To me a sure sign that a show is failing (other than cancellation rumors) is when the plots move faster with less emotional impact. When they get desperate to shoehorn in scandal after scandal with no time for the fall out to play out in a realistic fashion, the heart is lost. The difference between soapy stuff like this show and a real drama is in the pauses, the quiet moments, the intimate give and take between characters that has nothing to do with Big DRAMA. Know what I mean? As everyone has already pointed out. That's what they lost very early on with this show. Its potential was squandered and it became all about who was hooking up with who. I saw Grey's Anatomy devolve in exactly the same way. Remember the very first season when it was a show about what it's like to be an intern suffering through that rough first year--with a little romance thrown in?

With that being said, I had to watch because I'd gotten sucked in, but I'm glad the show's over. AND I wish Kate and Ryan had stayed together. That's what I wanted. Something a little unpredictable. Plus I'm a huge Kerr Smith fan from way back. And, I hated that they had to "find someone" for everyone to be with. People can be happy alone. I would've been happy to see Lux embracing her two friends, Tash and Jones, while content to be a single woman alone going out into her future. What is with the need to couple up people?

Wackadoo82

Wackadoo82

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 12:02 PM

I have feeling that all during production, this show was behind the 8 ball. They probably felt the need to rush alot of things because they knew their time was limited. For that, I can't knock them for "rushing" things because we have no idea what pressure the writers were under to conclude things and we wont know how the show would have turned out if they were safe for a whole season with no pressure to move things along.

That's also why, even if I didn't like the ending, i can't bash the show for what they did. In a world where most shows leave you dangling even if they know they might not come back, they tried their hardest to give us resolutions.

All of the couple made sense in the end, based what we've seen, except for Math/Alice. You could see with Lux and Jones, in that scene we got, how right they would be with each other. Also, as I said before, it also works in terms of having Lux receive the stable high school expierience she always wanted. She was the guy she never thought she deserved. Ryan and Cate really didn't beling together. I truly believe that they loved each other but they were never on the same page. The most important thing about Ryan is that he seemingly always stuck around, even after leaving Cate. He truly loved Lux as much as he said he did and that's why I love Ryan. I really do believe that Baze and Cate could be together after they figured themselves out.

I don't even have a problem with the randomness of Math/Alice because the dude deserved to be happy and for all we know they might have always wanted to put them together but the time crunch and Alice being the lead on "Being Erica" could have stopped that.

LemonLime

LemonLime

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 12:15 PM

I'm so excited over Cate and Baze ending up together, but I'm also sad that we didn't get to see how it happened. Damn show, why did you have to start this season so sucky and only improve for the end of it?

Bchick

Bchick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 12:54 PM

Article on the finale.

I liked last night's eps even with the rushing. The eps felt more along the ilk of S1's eps. The CW folks who interfered creatively with the show did it no favors IMO. It's [likely] going to an early grave because of what they deemed entertaining and good.

Gibasi

Gibasi

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 2:18 PM

My take on the finale was different than the article and from most of my fellow posters. I thought it was lame and when they paired Cate and Baze it was just to appease the shippers. I am not a shipper. I went along with the show and they had Cate and Ryan together. I said okay and they even have Ryan giving that moving speech to Cate about how he was not in the marriage because she was pregnant. Then they show us Cate and Baze at graduation?? Two years later caption notwithstanding I don't like it. They backed off their own premise.

My daughter cried at the whole thing. I was mostly laughing. I liked the first hour better because it was so over the top and I could have fun laughing at it. Plus Sam cracked me up.

I have to say again I am glad it is over.

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 9:26 PM

I thought the finale in and of itself was decent enough. The way they had everyone lined up at the graduation ceremony was such obvious misdirection that I didn't think it was really 'whiplash' - it was just a matter of waiting to see which pairings they lumped together. I thought putting Lux with Jones was unnecessary, considering the whole emphasis kept being 'there are so many people that love you, Lux' yadda yadda yadda that they could've shown Lux being happy in her own skin, surrounded by friends and family, without the need for one individual person to be attached to. But I guess it didn't make much difference really.

The bit I hated was yet another attempt to retcon Lux herself. All the crap about how she didn't feel 'normal' and on and on about how she was damaged and how Kate never listened to her and blah blah blah. That was the Lux they introduced when the show started back at the beginning of season 1; it was nothing like the Lux that we've seen most of the way through the show and all through season 2. She's been a lying, manipulative, lying, uncaring, lying, annoying, lying, whiny, lying, cheating, lying, bitchy liar for episode after episode after episode. And it's never seemed like it was anything to do with feelings of alienation or damage from her past or anything like that. She's just acted like a spoiled obnoxious brat. And she's never been called on it, and never been punished for it. But that's okay, because she'll whine just one more time about how she doesn't feel normal, and we'll all forget about all the crap she's pulled and go back to liking the cute little girl with issues who showed up when the show began. Sorry, not buying it. The show died as a drama and as entertainment because they gave up on their central premise and turned their central character into a really unlikeable bitch. Trying to paint it all as hunky-dory in the final minutes just isn't going to cut it.

megpat

megpat

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 10:44 PM

Tasha really got shafted - i hope she finds better friends in college.

Carlee

Carlee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 12:03 AM

I haven't been a big fan of the show (never really took to Lux, the character). The final episode seemed much of the same, though I like how Eric finally realized how wrong the relationship was. Wow, Lux has absolutely no problems lying - she just turns it on like a faucet! Not only did she throw Tasha under the bus (the episode where Lux and Eric stayed in the hotel), she basically said that Jones was cheating on Tasha with her. What a great friend.

As a finale episode, I think it was awful. Everything doesn't have to be wrapped up all nice and neat. There can be questions unanswered - like which college Lux and Tasha will go to, or whether Lux and Jones got together. It's simply unnecessary. Seeing Math end up with something was good but even that was not needed. I think most people wanted Baze and Cate together at the end but I don't think that relationship needed to be resolved so quickly. Well, it's two years later, so it's expected but even a look here or a glance there would have spoke volumes.

I can't remember the last series finale (or season finale) where everyone paired off so perfectly. Except for Tasha, and possibly social worker & third roommate (Jamie?). I thought the social worker, not remembering that she was the social worker, was Jamie's gf or wife - yes, because they were sitting next to each other and because they are both black.

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 1:45 AM

It was okay. They knew that they had to wrap it up and I'm ok with how it ended. But this sums up my feelings for Lux completely:

The bit I hated was yet another attempt to retcon Lux herself. All the crap about how she didn't feel 'normal' and on and on about how she was damaged and how Kate never listened to her and blah blah blah. That was the Lux they introduced when the show started back at the beginning of season 1; it was nothing like the Lux that we've seen most of the way through the show and all through season 2. She's been a lying, manipulative, lying, uncaring, lying, annoying, lying, whiny, lying, cheating, lying, bitchy liar for episode after episode after episode.

SO much word to this! I felt like Lux never got her comeuppance and at the end of the day everyone was still apologizing to Lux for nothing. I wanted to slap her so many times in the two episodes. When she blew off Cate and Ryan to meet Eric, when she threw Emma having an affair with Baze's father to get the heat off herself and then she had the nerve to be mad at Baze afterwards, making everything about herself when Cate was trying to tell her she lost the baby, the list goes on and on. It makes me sad because I used to really like Lux; A lot. I think she was right to let Cate know that she was really not present the last couple of months but Lux was also so busy sneaking around with Eric and lying about everything that Cate being interested in her life would likely have gone unnoticed and underappreciated.

Tosh is a much nicer friend then me, girlfriend went to jail, nobody visited her that we could see, Lux apparently stole Jones from her at some point, the list goes on and on. As much as admire Tosh's loyalty what did she get?

I didn't really understand why they felt the need to make Cate barren on top of everything else. Maybe to show Lux that she was damaged as well but I would have preferred that she tell Lux about how she felt being an pregnant teenager or how closed off she was after wards. I can't help but feel sorry for Cate and Baze knowing that the only child they can have together is Lux. Maybe they should look into a surrogate...

I read that article and it seemed that the only thing the CW was supportive of the teacher storyline but the idea came from Liz herself and her only quibble is that it should have progressed slower?! There were so many different things that she could have done to stir up drama in a better way. I absolutely hated Eric and I was so glad to finally see him go.

Misty77

Misty77

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 3:38 AM

So I guess the Julia-still-pregnant bombshell was supposed to be the cliffhanger had the show had a normal season finale, rather than a series finale. Instead they whacked on a 5 minute graduation ceremony two years in the future to gladden our shipper hearts and provide some resolution. Meh.

I thought the whole thing was pretty terrible (excepting perhaps the Jones/Lux basketball scene). Too much over the top drama. I caught myself mentally willing both Cate and Lux to shut the hell up on several occasions, they were both so constantly overwrought and screechy.

I think the roots of the show's failure are twofold:

(1) Lux as a character was difficult to identity with and root for. The actress didn't help matters IMO. Something about the tone of the character was just never right. Too much lying, too manipulative, too whiny.

(2) Network interference. The show went from a cute little show that could into a One Tree Hill clone with way too much "epic drama". I guess they wanted to get the tweens on board, but they rarely tune in for a second season if they didn't like what was dished up in the first.

I will miss Kristoffer Polaha.

Angela627

Angela627

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 2:36 PM

Man, that 2 hour episode reminded me of everything I loved and hated about this show. The 1st hour full of all the annoyance I've had with how much this show has gone downhill from the pilot I fell so much in love with and the 2nd half reminding of me that show I fell in love with. Even though I hate how much they swayed from the Cate/Lux relationship (because when they weren't busy blaming each other for all the wrongs in their lives, I thought Shiri and Britt were quite magical on screen together), my heart did skip a beat when Lux called them mom and dad.

I could not help but laugh at this quote from Liz though (Showrunner talks Season 2 Finale: "as Tigelaar describes her show, itís 'about a mom who gave up her kid to nobody, and a kid who can never get past that, and a mom who can never forgive herself. And a dad who didnít step up and do the right thing, and now wants to, but is slightly incapable of it.'"
Um, that show sounds awesome, where do I sign up to watch?

Dalmatian90

Dalmatian90

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 11:35 PM

First, a request:

Does anyone know if and where there's a decent sized copy of the final B&W photo from the very end on the internet? Cool shot.

My own thoughts:

1) Season 2 in particular was way to soapy for my tastes.

2) I did get sucked in by the first few episodes of the series. It was a nice premise, but I always wondered how they could make it beyond four or six episodes. Which could explain the soapiness this year.

3) Lux NEEDED to get her commupenance. We never saw that. You couldn't possibly pick the show up for a Season 3 @ Oregon State without having shown how she was finally humbled by her lying. Paying for her sins would've been, IMHO, the necessary thread of a back 9 or season 3.

4) Cate & Baze? Please. I would've been perfectly fine if they went "modern family" and had Cate & Ryan, each friends with the other parent of their respective children and all showing up at graduation. My own family is mellow enough I could see such non-traditional things happening at celebrations. Heck, I would've been fine with Ryan married to someone else, Baze married to someone else, and Cate the single mother in the middle.

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 12:06 AM

I watched Season 1 and then only watched the first episode of Season 2. Came back to see the 2 hour finale. Was glad to see Lux call Cate and Baze "Mom and Dad". The flashforward wrapped up everything very neatly but the Cate/Baze pairing was quite a 180 degree turn from Ryan telling Cate that he only needed her and Lux - not another baby. Would have liked to have seen how this came about. Did Ryan leave Cate or vice versa? Was pleased to see Math and Alice together.

I liked this show for most of S1 but tired of the triangle and of Lux constantly beating up on Cate.

Edited by LisaM, Jan 21, 2011 @ 12:08 AM.

pixelly

pixelly

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 12:34 AM

although they had a lot to tie up for a series end, no Cate's mother and sister at the graduation?

Bchick

Bchick

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 12:51 AM

Even with the flaws some have already mentioned about the final two eps, the only things that really bothered me was that Lux was never truly taken to task over her hateful reveal about Emma and DaddyBaze (also, color me surprised it lasted 4 yrs as I thought that it was like a several months type affair). I just found it so incredibly vicious & selfish how she threw it at Baze to hurt him because of how upset Baze was about her relationship with Eric. Baze didn't deserve that. Although Baze mentioned it to Lux in the car very calmly about her hurtful behavior, I never saw any remorse from Lux for having done it in the manner that she did. Super bothered me. The only other thing that made me turn up my nose to some degree was Lux's "not normal" self-victimization speech. It just seemed like a cop out from someone who'd been very selfish and deceitful to those she knew loved/cared about her. Cate & Baze weren't perfect but they did try and that speech of her's didn't really pass my smell test.

Also, word on Lux being a terrible friend to Tasha. I lost a good friendship due to a friend's disrespectful behavior toward my feelings regarding a guy I liked that she wasn't interested in but went out with anyway (who then told me that if she did ever develop feelings for him, I should be happy for her cause that's what friends do). Though I wanted Jones & Lux to get together, after he got with Tasha, I was less inclined to truly root for Lux/Jones simply because I didn't want Tasha's feelings to be trampled again by the one person she felt was on her side. It got to be where it seemed like Tasha was such a good friend because she was ride-or-die whereas Lux seemed to only barely register that Tasha had feelings.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 1:03 AM

I just cannot believe that in 2 years everything would end up so perfectly for Lux with her getting everything she wanted.

Another thing that bugged was that Cate found out over the phone from the doctor that she was barren. How wonderful. Miscarriage, barren for life, Lux would be her only child, and finding out Julia was pregnant all in the span of few minutes.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

Cate & Baze? Please. I would've been perfectly fine if they went "modern family" and had Cate & Ryan, each friends with the other parent of their respective children and all showing up at graduation.

Same here. I was actually really happy with that concept, that they had all found a way to be function as an unconventional family.

Also, word on Lux being a terrible friend to Tasha.

I'm just pretending that Tasha actually dumped Jones for some really great guy, and Lux/Jones happened after that.

But, really, why does Lux have to be with someone at the end? Isn't it enough to be graduating, going to college with Tasha, and having her parents married?

JeffersonAero

JeffersonAero

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2011 @ 3:08 AM

Did Baze's other friend end up with the social worker?

Looked that way to me. Which kind of screams "two black people? put them together!" but whatever, at least whatever that guy's name was and Fern looked happy.

I thought they were just sitting by each other. It made sense to me that, as Lux's social worker, Fern would attend her graduation, and it kind of seemed like everyone was arranged in order of importance: Julia & Ryan, Cate & Baze, Alice (I assume Math was sitting in the school's staff section? IDK), the grandparents parked behind Baze. I'm sure getting the right shots was a nightmare with so many key people to include. BOO to the absence of Boozy Cynthia Stevenson!

I thought the whole episode felt rushed and that the big "Even though I just recently got pregnant, something happened and now I can't ever have another baby" plot was a huge contrivance. They didn't even attempt to offer a decent explanation for that. Whatever.

WORD. It felt like yet another way to punish Cate for having given up Lux as a baby, which is all this show has done. As someone else stated, Baze didn't step up either, so why does he get to be the good guy? I really wish that issue had been addressed better, as well as the infertility. No experienced gynecologist is going to tell a patient OVER THE FRIKKIN' PHONE that she's sterile: "Hey, your test results are back, you definitely miscarried, and btdubs, you can't have any more kids. We'll see you in November for your next Pap smear!" Something as sensitive as that requires a face-to-face visit, and possibly some counseling. I want to blame this lazy writing on the fact that they did have to wrap so many storylines up in such a short time, but I really can't excuse it. I also can't forgive them for killing off the Blueberry!

Nitpicks: How did Cate know what Julia looked like? Did she ever see a picture or meet her? And why, of all the OB/GYNs in Portland, do Julia and Cate go to the same doctor? And most nurses now call patients in the waiting room by last names, both for convenience and privacy.

I was sad to hear that Ryan's new coworker got let go, I liked her budding friendship with Cate.

Maybe that was written in as part of the Happily Ever After, but I agree, I think it would been fun to see those two women, who were opposites in so many ways, become friends. It would have been a great opportunity to further develop Cate as a character independent of her romantic entanglements. Alice was really the only positive relationship Cate had with another woman, other than her rapprochement with Kelly, and apparently Cate's only friend. At least Baze had Math and Jamie, and seemed to be well-liked by most people who hadn't slept with him, but Cate is apparently such a bitch that no one will be friends with her.

(also, color me surprised it lasted 4 yrs as I thought that it was like a several months type affair)

I was really hoping Baze and Emma would work out, even though I don't really care for the Emma character, but once she said four years, I was like, it's OVAH. A couple of months, maybe a year, I think Baze could've dealt with, but FOUR YEARS? What was she doing, waiting for Grandpa Baze to leave his wife? Using him to move ahead at work? I don't get that at all, and I'm super-pissed because it broke up my dream team of Sam and Tasha cutting through Lux's crap and calling her on it.

AND I wish Kate and Ryan had stayed together. That's what I wanted. Something a little unpredictable.

4) Cate & Baze? Please. I would've been perfectly fine if they went "modern family" and had Cate & Ryan, each friends with the other parent of their respective children and all showing up at graduation.

Big fat frikkin WORD. I know that a lot of people have shipped Cate/Baze since the beginning, and I can understand, but I wanted something more original and true to life. Having divorced or unmarried parents is so common, and in this case, I think it would have been far more powerful to show that it IS possible to successfully co-parent with your baby daddy/mama without being romantically involved. From the beginning, Life Unexpected was about unconventional families, and how it's not blood that makes a family but love, and while the graduation scene was an honorable attempt, in my opinion, it fell short.

I kept hoping that she would wake up from a dream.

If, by some miracle, the show is renewed, I would LOVE to see the third season premiere go this route. Do a Dallas, and have Lux wake up from her graduation dream and realize she's still only a sophomore. If there was a way to erase the whole Emma/Grandpa Baze thing, get rid of that. When Baze took Sam to the house he was going to buy and talked about the four of them living there, I was all over that. I want to see Lux adjusting to life with stepparents and siblings, whether it's the Blueberry or Sam (though I'd prefer Sam, because I think he'd make her life hell). Let us see Lux work hard to overcome her learning disability, let us see her and Tasha cope with high school and age-appropriate boyfriends, let us see Cate and Ryan work out their relationship and whether they stay together - hell, let us see Math and Alice get together! (That's the only part of the graduation scene I'd keep.) Without that vital character development, I don't have a reason to care about or root for Lux.

I really think the writers tried hard to create a satisfying finale, and I lay a lot of the blame on network interference, but I believe the show could've been and done so much more. That goes for basically the whole second season. Why do the suits always have to screw a good thing up ?

Gooey

Gooey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2011 @ 11:53 AM

Nitpicks: How did Cate know what Julia looked like? Did she ever see a picture or meet her? And why, of all the OB/GYNs in Portland, do Julia and Cate go to the same doctor?

This annoyed me too. Far too many coincidences in this show: Cate happens to run into Mr Daniels at the bookstore; Paige works for & sleeps with Baze but she also happens to be Ryan's sister. Mr Daniels randomly meets Lux in her father's bar before either of them learn he's her teacher. It's all a little too contrived. Which is all the more irritating because I don't think the show needed to resort to that.

Did anyone think it's odd that neither Cate nor Baze asked straight out if Lux & Mr Daniels had actually had sex? Obviously the relationship was wrong and a huge abuses of trust etc even without that but I thought it odd that they, as parents, never clarified that. Maybe they just assumed as much? And if that was the case, it's odd Lux never set them straight considering it has been implied by her several times in recent episodes that she & Mr Daniels hadn't done the deed. Even if she only did say it to try to defend the relationship. Cate & Baze handled the situation very well as parents except for that (major) detail IMO.

BookThief

BookThief

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2011 @ 5:54 PM

"This show really is pretty horrible!" --What my mom yelled to me last night across the house while watching the finale. I even knew exactly which show she meant.

I would have liked to have seen Lux get any sort of comeuppance at all. She's caught in lies, she gets mildly in trouble but then does what she wants to do anyway--then when caught again screams "I'M NOT NORMAL!" Sigh. My mom actually defended Lux a bit saying that she didn't have good guidance growing up which, OK... but it seems to me that she knew right from wrong until caught or her life started spiraling out of control. I found her quite insufferable this second season--she was kind of a horrible person! I started out loving this show but now...I'm just glad it's over.

KaveDweller

KaveDweller

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

Nitpicks: How did Cate know what Julia looked like? Did she ever see a picture or meet her?

I think she did see a picture....wasn't that how the whole thing came out? She was looking at wedding pictures, saw this random girl talking to Ryan, and asked him about it? Or am I totally making that up?

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

Even with the flaws some have already mentioned about the final two eps, the only things that really bothered me was that Lux was never truly taken to task over her hateful reveal about Emma and DaddyBaze (also, color me surprised it lasted 4 yrs as I thought that it was like a several months type affair). I just found it so incredibly vicious & selfish how she threw it at Baze to hurt him because of how upset Baze was about her relationship with Eric.

No kidding - in one scene she was harranging Emma? to tell Baze the truth, in the next she is lying her ass off once again to Cate so she can sneak off and see Bugeyes Lateurno. Not to mention it's none of her damned business if Emma is keeping her past to herself. We were supposed to like this girl? Next thing, she's feeling sorry for herself and runs to see Tasha in juvie but Tasha has gotten in trouble and can't have visitors. All I could think about was the poor girl was in Juvie ONLY because of Lux and her constant lying and manipulation. Tasha begged her to stop using her and Lux just kept going.

Moving on to Baze's dad. He's always been a dick but they were somewhat reconciled and the finale made him into a total monster, sneering at Baze about that girl, etc.

I was also very pissed that the only character I like, Emo Sam, got shafted. Yep, Sam, you are right. Nobody gives a shit about you. Lux used you badly and your mother is interested in nothing at all but keeping her secrets and getting laid so she can't be bothered to spend any time with you. God forbid any of the "adults" ever keep their pants on for a whole episode and deal with their kids.

I think if the show had had better writing and run longer, I could have bought that Lux's cheery persona was a coverup for her past abuse ordeals but it simply didn't develop that way. As it stands, she is a lying, manipulative, whining, mean as hell bitch and when called on it, plays the "terrible childhood" card. I can see that working on guilt ridden Cate but Baze didn't even know about her, and Tasha, Sam, all the others she used and threw under buses didn't owe her a freaking thing.

eon.girl

eon.girl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2011 @ 10:35 PM

I liked the finale but I find it hard to believe that Lux was Valedictorian ... she isn't Rory Gilmore.

I would have changed it to Sam as Valedictorian and the camera panning to Tasha, Jones and Lux (in that order) sitting in the front row. Sam, during his speech, references "going to college with his girl" and Tasha yelling out "go ducks!" It would have got my mind thinking ...

I loved, loved, loved Math and Alice together. That was a great surprise!

Edited by eon.girl, Jan 23, 2011 @ 10:38 PM.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 12:58 AM

But, really, why does Lux have to be with someone at the end?

Especially since she's "not normal!!!" as she likes to say. Often. Loudly.

This is a girl who was abused by her foster father, spent years dating Bug, and then dated Jones and Bug back and forth, and then snuck around and dated her teacher...

Maybe, just maybe, the girl needs to try being on her own for a while and learning how to live her life without always having a boyfriend to prop her up. It really is ok for an 18 year old girl not to have a boyfriend. And, in Lux's case, it's probably healthier for her to work on herself for a while without a guy in her life. And healthy to discover she doesn't need a guy in her life to have a life.

Edited by izabella, Jan 24, 2011 @ 12:59 AM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 2:00 PM

I just finished watching the finale. While I've never been one to wish cancellation of a show (knowing that there are other people who may enjoy it), I'm happy this show is done just so I wouldn't be tempted to keep up with it.

What a horrible ending. Lux remains a horrible person who uses her past as an excuse for her shitty behavior toward everyone in her life. Her "I'm not normal" was a bunch of bullshit rationalization in order to make Cate feel badly for her. Lux essentially gets to be a shit to everyone (blurting out that Emma had an affair with Baze's dad out of anger, the same way she did in season one) was just ridiculous. I honestly saw no growth in her character. And, her getting with Jones while Tasha was in lock up was just all types of wrong.

Her being valedictorian or salutatorian or class speaker was unbelievable (especially if it was one of the first two).

Cate and Baze ending up together was such a cliche. Would it kill a show to go another route--especially when there's not much to lose because cancellation is on the horizon? That is not to say that Ryan and Cate needed to stay together--I thought they got married for crappy reasons. But why not just have Cate with someone else or alone--and the same with Baze?

Gosh, what a shitty ending to a shitty second season which followed up a pretty decent first season.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 3:24 PM

My tivo actually caught the finale so I watched it just to see how it wrapped up and because there was nothing else on last night. I hated it. It made me glad I stopped watching at the end of last season, there was nothing I liked about it but there were two things that I loathed. Lux having no consequences (she was always my least favorite) and the one that actually causes rage is that Cate loses the baby and can no longer have children. It just seemed more of the same, Cate gets punished for being a 16 year old girl who gave up her child. If the show had gone back to that time and time again, it might not have felt as offensive to me but that was just so unnecessary on so many levels.

dcalley

dcalley

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2011 @ 4:44 PM

I was disappointed we didn't see any interaction with Fern and Lux at the end. Even if it had been just a hug or Fern telling her how proud she was of her.

I believe we saw both of those, just without sound.

I would have been much more affected by the "mom, dad" if it had happened before the graduation scene. I was too busy with my whiplash and hating the ending for it to have much of an impact.

I thought someone should have turned in Mr. Daniels. If not Cate or Baze, then Math. It is messed up for a teacher to ignore that.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2011 @ 4:40 AM

The last episode just aired in the UK. Although part of me is sad it was cancelled, there's also a part of me quite relieved. I'm not sure I could have taken it for too many seasons.

I hated the Kate and Base together thing at the end. The suggestion that two people having kids have to be together annoyed the hell out of me.

And another thing that annoyed the hell out of me is the happy ending. For everyone, it seems, except for poor Bug. If the show had run longer, I'd like him to have come back. I loved it when Base gave him a chance and he was doing a good job in the bar.

Edited by Gulftastic, Feb 15, 2011 @ 4:40 AM.