NCIS: Los Angeles: 'Cause San Diego Isn't Cool Enough

• Please log in to reply

4128 replies to this topic

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

The long-awaited crossover with NCIS Los Angeles starts tonight on H50. For the non-NCIS Los Angeles watchers (like myself), NCIS Los Angeles airs on CBS at 9PM Eastern/8PM Central on Tuesday night.

This was copied from the H50 forum so those of you who are not in the habit of watching it might want to watch it tonight.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

From the crossover:
I thought they killed all the Comescues in Romania? And it was funny to see Sam bantering with someone else.

sisterfive

sisterfive

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

Cute BTS featurette on the H50 guys on the NCIS:LA set http://bit.ly/KENujb Not entirely sure I like how they are treating Danny here but I'll wait to see how it shakes out tonight. (x-posted on H50 forum). I do like Hetty

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

From the crossover:
And it was funny to see Sam bantering with someone else.

From this 5-0 fan it was like he was a McGarrett clone. and McGarrett wasn't missed this episode like he was in the previous one.

Edited by taiko, May 1, 2012 @ 2:45 PM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

So what you think, Hawaii 5-0 watchers?

I liked the banter between the our team and Hawaii team. Danny vs Deeks was good.

Loved how Callen and Danny let Sam and Chin(?) chase down the doctor by themselves like, "Nah, they've got that."

It was interesting to see a couple of people on the show that did not have a proper fear of Hetty!

I'm sorry that Steve/Alex O'Loughlin couldn't be involved in the crossover.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

I thought it was fun. My first time watching NCIS LA and I liked it. Though Danno and Chin fit in well on the show and SC in particular was quite funny. If they ever do another crossover, hopefully McGarrett can be a part of it.

Someone noted on the H50 thread that Linda Hunt is probably the one person that Scott Caan is actually taller than.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

As a 5-0 representative, the tone seemed off. After the airport scenes and showing us the potential results of an outbreak it seemed to shift to a comedy block. compared to the 5-0 cargument with LL Cool J sitting in for McGarrett during an active chase. Also the background in 5-0 you had CDC, HPD, FBI, National Guard...now you had a secret agency head sitting at her desk calling a taxi company after giving the do anything necessary order

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

... it seemed to shift to a comedy block.

Yeah, I guess the show does tend to do that, mostly with scenes with only the various partners (Eric/Nell, Sam/G, Kensi/Deeks), or group scenes at headquarters.

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

As someone who had only seen NCIS:LA from the original spin-off/pilot episodes and then watched the H50 crossover I generally liked it. There are two new characters right- the girl in with Eric and the blond guy-he's different from the undercover guy in the pilot, correct?

Also the background in 5-0 you had CDC, HPD, FBI, National Guard...now you had a secret agency head sitting at her desk calling a taxi company after giving the do anything necessary order

Yeah, there was a weird lack of any outside agencies. I also thought that the line about Hetty eventually having to tell the public was weird- wouldn't the threat of global pandemic fall to the head of the CDC or like the President to alert the public, not a Naval police agent?

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:05 AM

Sab85, ahhh, but that's the thing. Hetty is not any old Naval police agent. ;-)

And yes, Nell and Deeks are new-ish. Hetty seems to be grooming Nell to be mini-Hetty. While Deeks is the are-they-or-aren't-they partner of Kensi. Actually, Kensi went from being a mediocre character to a totally different persona once they got rid of her original partner and brought in Deeks. Amazing the difference casting can make.

I wish that they had had a sitdown meal with everyone at the end. If Jersey Boy Danno freaks out at Hawaiian pizza, whatever would he make of California food?

Trini Girl, I also liked the Danno-Deeks banter. They pulled it off quite well. Also when Danno and G just let Sam and Chin do the running.

And I liked Kensi's flirtation with Danno. Wouldn't THAT be a hoot? But Deeks' reaction to the flirtation was even better.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

I just posted my comments in H5O, but it looks like they were all covered here by others anyway.

I like the rapport they have going with Kensi and Deeks now - it isn't the overused "will they, won't they" method used, usually poorly, in several other shows including the NCIS OR. The writers have seemed to found the path to show them acknowledging the attraction, but also still preserving the humor between them and the sense of a friendship growing.

Edited because "P" is not the same as "O".

Edited by cosmom, May 2, 2012 @ 10:04 AM.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

Not a regular watcher of NCIS LA, and watched because of the crossover. So I take it those little arguments and banter are a regular part of the show? So in a way, it is a lot like H5-0.

Since I am not a regular viewer, I was pretty confused with names and roles. I heard them introducing Danny and Chin Ho to the team, was there a run down of names on the NCIS team and what each one does? Because if so, I missed it. Of course, it's NCIS LA's show, and most people who were watching were probably regular viewers and not crossover viewers like me.

Overall I thought it was an enjoyable show, so perhaps I'll give it a chance. I never watched it because of the NCIS connection, and I could never really get into NCIS because I couldn't stand the pretty boy character and the sad sack character that always seemed to be the butt of his jokes.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

cosmom, I agree that they do the Kensi-Deeks thing well. It may be the most solid partnership on any "cop" show currently on TV.

Blackwing, yea! If you stick with the show, you'll get it pretty quickly. Since everyone (but Hetty) is paired off, and since each pair of partners gets ample screen time (the weakness of H50, where neither is the case), you'll get to know them pretty quickly.

There's another recurring character who wasn't on last night - Nate, who used to be their full-time team psychologist. He now ... hmmm... works for Hetty in the field, but makes occasional appearances as needed. I like the shows when he's on.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

Trini Girl, I also liked the Danno-Deeks banter. They pulled it off quite well. Also when Danno and G just let Sam and Chin do the running.......

So I take it Deeks is like Danny an old school cop pulled into this crazy world?

Chin Ho running a guy down. While he is not the Chin Ho of the original he is still the old man of the team. I am sure that was originally written as a McGarrett tackle.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Overall I thought it was an enjoyable show, so perhaps I'll give it a chance. I never watched it because of the NCIS connection, and I could never really get into NCIS because I couldn't stand the pretty boy character and the sad sack character that always seemed to be the butt of his jokes.

You should totally give the show a chance! The main reason I watch is because it's so different from Original Recipe NCIS.

So I take it Deeks is like Danny an old school cop pulled into this crazy world?

Yep. Deeks is the LAPD liaison to the NCIS team; but he does a lot of the same things as the other agents.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

The difference between Deeks and Danno is that Deeks used to be an undercover cop with LAPD - and that's how they initially worked him into the show. He helped them out on a case that he'd already been working undercover. I keep saying that the H50 writers need to learn a thing or two from the NCIS: LA writers, and this is another case in point. You test new characters by bringing them in first as one- or two-story arc guests.

[The crazy thing with H50 is that *all* the core group except Steve are supposed to be regular cops. I think that's the reason the military slant turns me off a little bit. It's *not* NCIS: Hawaii, it's HPD's special task force. Maybe that is one reason the Terry O'Quinn character bothered me so much. It kept the emphasis on the military side of things.]

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

Not exactly Kono was an unknown from the acadamy and the only policing she has known has been with 5-0 and under cover with IA.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

taiko, but they made a big deal of her graduation from the academy - they even all dressed up in their police uniforms (except for Steve). And she worked undercover for internal affairs of the HPD - not for a federal agency.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

taiko, but they made a big deal of her graduation from the academy - they even all dressed up in their police uniforms (except for Steve). And she worked undercover for internal affairs of the HPD - not for a federal agency.

What I mean that her entire police career she has been throwing suspects into shark tanks and taking them to the edge of rooftops. Invading North Korea, It has all been the crazy stuff McGarrett draws like a magnet. And remember on 5-0 HPD is a corrupt force. It seems as if on every level from her uncle up to the Governor

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

Hetty seems to be grooming Nell to be mini-Hetty.

But is that possible? Unless I misunderstand what we have learned about Hetty, she was an active field agent.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

Driad, true, but I think Hetty sees a kindred spirit in Nell. Nell is largely perceived as a wide-eyed, innocent young thing, when in reality she's brilliant, not to be messed with, and (in her own way) ruthless. She's also well-organized like Hetty. And she knows secrets about Hetty that no one else knows (including us).

Also, remember that Hetty has occasionally given Nell undercover assignments, easing her into the field. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nell do more of that next season.

For H50 fans reading here - Nell is a good example of who Lori could have been. Nell's character could have fallen flat (and nearly did). But the writers gave her a real purpose on the team. Makes all the difference in the world. Similar personalities, similar physical build, similar late insertion into an existing team. But Nell works. Lori didn't.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

But Nell works. Lori didn't.

YMMV on the - well, on the Nell part. I normally think of her as Annoying Girl and have found her purpose redundant to Eric. She has just recently become more tolerable - I think that is the matter of some changes in the writing and in her acting (or how she was instructed to act). I still loathe that they put her out in the field on occasion and them trying to build a flirtation with Eric. I did like her with Nate - aside from the Eric flirtation discussions. She did nicely with showing a bit of quirk when trying to out psych the psych.

And Lori just never worked.

Edited by cosmom, May 3, 2012 @ 4:03 AM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

So what you think, Hawaii 5-0watchers?

So have they ever used any of the extras who are around the ops center? On 5-0 the task force works directly for the governor so you only see the 4 or 5 and any SWAT or police back-up or forensic work needed is contracted out to HPD or the other islands police forces. The exception for the ME, Max Bergman who is also on call for all task force cases. I take it that besides the two computer geeks they don't have the doctor of all sciences CSI types running around.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

I keep saying that the H50 writers need to learn a thing or two from the NCIS: LA writers, and this is another case in point. You test new characters by bringing them in first as one- or two-story arc guests.

Conversely, I hope the H50 writers learning nothing from the NCIS: LA writers. I couldn't stand Deeks, so I stopped watching the show. I only watched this episode to see Danno and Chin. Deeks equates to Lori for me, for the most part. Except that Deeks annoyed me, and Lori just bored me, so she was more tolerable for me.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

So have they ever used any of the extras who are around the ops center?

Nope. There are dozens(?) of other workers there who we've never met.

I take it that besides the two computer geeks they don't have the doctor of all sciences CSI types running around.

Nah; there's not much CSI-type forensic stuff. The show focuses more action and undercover ops.

I was never a fan of Nell or Deeks, but Nell has become a lot more tolerable, though I still think she's superfluous. Deeks... I guess I've gotten used to him, but I'm still more "nay" than "yay".

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

I'm only a casual H50 viewer and I checked out the crossover without ever having watched NCIS:LA. I must say I liked the humour and I loved Deeks. I checked out wikipedia and I've pinpointed a few seemingly Deeks-centric eps, they should make for fun summer viewing. And apparently next week's episode needs to be on my list as well. Cool.

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

I'm a fan of both shows, and I enjoyed the crossover. It was a bit awkward in a few places where you could tell some lines had been moved around to other characters to cover the absence of Alex O'Loughlin's McGarrett character. I loved Danny with Hettie and that dawning realization when he first met her that here was a force to be reckoned with. By the end of the episode, he was properly cowed. I would have loved to see the Steve/Hettie interaction, but maybe if this proved popular, we could have another crossover next year. It would take some plot finagling though, I believe Honolulu has their own NCIS office so it would have to be another terrorist type plot to make it work. But the logic is there--LAX is a big hub for connecting flights to Hawaii from the east coast, so an LA/Honolulu connection isn't as tenuous as say a DC/Honolulu connection would be.

I think the crossover worked because these are similar type shows, free-wheeling operators fighting crime and saving the world. I think of them more as live action superhero cartoons rather than procedural shows. It helps me suspend my disbelief...

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

From the 5-0 forum:

Re Navy being in San Diego: Here in central Ventura county, I am five miles from two major Navy bases. Well north of Los Angeles. Navy is pretty much everywhere in California. [I'm actually surprised that NCIS: LA doesn't film very often up here, because it would have to be cheaper than Malibu, Venice, and Santa Monica.]

I do find that weird, needing a LAPD liaison. And when they said the state or county health center in Torrance was hit to get smallpox vaccine and started talking about Robbery Homicide and Narcotics trying to palm the case off on each other as unworthy here I was wondering why not pass it off to the Torrance PD or the Sheriff since it was a state/county facility and at its closest point the border of Torrance is miles away from the Harbor Gateway (a strip of a few blocks belonging to LA and LAPD heading towards the harbor) and the all borderlines are with other cities.

jr13

jr13

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:20 PM

But Nell works. Lori didn't.

Nell doesn't work for me at all. Not only does she know everything, she's better than everybody else at everything too. Way too cutesy, Mary Sue-ish, and unnecessary. It seems her only purpose is to one-up Eric.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:45 AM

taiko, I feel certain that the writers are simply taking shortcuts when they ignore county and local police. It's got to be way easier for them to limit the law enforcement agencies they deal with, and use Deeks as liaison with LAPD so they can conveniently and quickly get local backup when they need more bodies. In other words, Deeks also serves as plot device.

That said, I've personally experienced the inefficiencies related to having so many incorporated towns in one densely populated region. When I tried to file a police report for a white-collar crime that had taken place in three counties and four different cities, I couldn't get anyone to do anything about it. Frustrating.