NCIS: Los Angeles: 'Cause San Diego Isn't Cool Enough

• Please log in to reply

4128 replies to this topic

YumYum

YumYum

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

This episode was downright depressing. When I watch most tv dramas the shallow in me expects pretty people, an interesting plot, well staged, costumed and directed. Maybe a little humor thrown in. Pure entertainment. This was noir all over the place and I didn't feel good about any of it. Bah.

silent

silent

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Did I get that right, the traitor was a SEAL suffering from asthma?
Horrible episode, the morale dilemma never was much of a dilemma and whatever shades of gray were left got washed away in that silly last scene. As if Hetty had never before seen a SEAL team in action. Only good bits were Deeks and his mind games to get the car all on his own (and Hetty knowing it) and Deeks shooting the computer.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

He was an Ensign, unless he were a mustang and already a SEAL there is no way he could complete basic special forces training and not have had an automatic promotion to LtJG. JAG got that kind of stuff right I am supposing NCIS does too. I am thinking he was in some kind of support role.

sisterfive

sisterfive

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

The timing for this couldn't have been worse (or better, depending on perspective). After the recent events with Robert Bales, we should be talking about how to handle it when good guys do wrong.

So much this. I was really disappointed in the episode. Hetty should never have backed down and Sam should have been smacked down

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

It was inevitable that Hetty was going to let it go, but I'd have respected Hetty a whole lot more if that last little exchange was less SEAL fangirl. Instead of the cheezy "No, Mr. Hanna, thank YOU" line, right after we were hit over the head with how brave all the SEALS are, it would have been great for her to say something like, "This is a one-time exception, Mr. Hanna. Do not ask again." And THEN we go to black.

I was (mostly) ok with the episode until that point, when it was just Sam being crazy. I really with the episode had ended this way, ResearchGeek. I also wanted a last G/Sam scene (I did love that G backed his partner to Hetty).

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

I had a little fun with it. There were multiple lines like the "No, Mr. Hanna, thank YOU!" that I could see coming a mile off and that I could say in unison with the actors, like Rocky Horror Picture Show audience participation. It was pretty predictable start to finish, but good cooking-background TV.

Navona

Navona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

Really unfortunate episode and bad message to be sending. These guys are just people like anyone else and we know from far too many examples of situations that well trained military personnel can, do and have, engage in criminal behavior - to excuse it with this implication that seals are supposed to be perfection in human form is irresponsible as well as just creepy and insulting. Sam is intolerable in his arrogance and sanctimonious crap. I hope it does "cost him everything" - it should.

mammbee170

mammbee170

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

I was almost ok with the ending because I expect the guilty parties to be KIA'd rather than face charges.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Since Hawaii 5-0 is in the greater JAG/NCIS universe I will mention they pulled the same SEAL worship over there, after working with SEAL vet McGarrett. It was complete with watching a SEAL raid live on Navy TV.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

I have to agree about the whole sainted SEAL worship in this episode. Obviously, SEALs are awesome. But I was definitely angry that in the end, they didn't have to pay for their crime because they save lives. Uh... that doesn't make them infallible. I wanted to scream when Hetty told Sam "no, thank you" and handed him the case file. ARGH. I actually think I wouldn't have minded the episode as a whole if not for that line, which made it so much worse. Just because they are SEALs doesn't make them above reproach.

I was almost ok with the ending because I expect the guilty parties to be KIA'd rather than face charges.

While they were watching the raid, I was thinking this was exactly what would happen. Not that I was necessarily hoping they would die, but it have solved the problem nicely.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

I almost expected the SEALs to be KIA'd too, with the unspoken (emphasis on unspoken) message that that's why it was important to investigate the case.

I like it when writers give us plots that show the "why" behind legal technicalities. As bad as Blue Bloods can be, tonight they did exactly this. If the detectives had gone with the "evidence" they had obtained illegally, they would have arrested the wrong man.

To me, those stories are far more important - why we have the Fourth and Fifth Amendments, why certain types of evidence are inadmissible.

Why, in this case, it would have been better to investigate the case and not jump the gun. They aaaaallllmost went there when it turned out that the murder victim was selling military secrets to the Pakistanis. And they should have gone there. It would have made for a much more interesting story arc.

If you think about it - had they not worshiped at the SEAL shrine, this could have been a magnificent "to be continued" plot. Because the whole issue of Pakistanis-are-our-allies-but-they-are-not (the subplot of the murder victim's espionage) is so real, and so under-used on television.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

This last episode was just dull and ohhhh so wrong. Wow! Really! The cast didn't even seem to want to be in this episode. It seemed like the whole cast, Linda Hunt included, just took everything down a notch for this schlock. Worst episode of this show that I have seen

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

New cast photos here.

Press release for the crossover with Hawaii 5-O.

"Pa Make Loa*" - Five-0 and the NCIS: Los Angeles task force team up in Hawaii when there's a suspect on the loose who is threatening to release a deadly virus into the population, on HAWAII FIVE-0, in the first episode of a two night crossover event with NCIS: LOS ANGELES, Monday, April 30 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network.

"Touch of Death" - The joint NCIS: Los Angeles and Hawaii Five-0 task force travel from Hawaii to Los Angeles, when the lead suspect in the case moves to the mainland with a deadly virus in tow, on NCIS: LOS ANGELES, Tuesday, May 1 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

That is a very, very pretty picture of Deeks...

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

I just want to say that Hetty kicks so much butt that she's my favorite character on any show.

Nate looks really great. Not as geeky as he looked when the show first started.

Nell can be so annoying for sometime. She's always playing games with Eric.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Favorite exchange:
Deeks: "And that's why they call her 'Hetty the Hammer'!"
Hetty: "Straight on that, Mr. Deeks."

It was cool to see Nate again. I really don't remember any (previous) scenes with Nell and Nate, so the way they were acting so familiar was a little weird. In the first season, it was Kensi and Nate that had a connection.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:55 AM

I absolutely love how they allowed Nate to grow and mature. As would be the case in real life, he is not the same person who left on his special assignments.

Actually, one of the things that bugged me about S1 of NCIS:LA - in the multi-part spin-off season finale that established NCIS:LA (pre-Hetty), Nate was much more the character he played tonight. A Nate I liked a lot. Who then devolved into a weaker character.

So, remembering that Nate, it was nice to see him with more backbone and inner strength.

When Deeks was introduced way back when, I wasn't so sure about his dynamic. Now I cannot imagine NCIS:LA without him.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

It was cool to see Nate again. I really don't remember any (previous) scenes with Nell and Nate, so the way they were acting so familiar was a little weird. In the first season, it was Kensi and Nate that had a connection.

Nell and Nate had a 'why yes we do know each other already but no we're not saying how' scene when Nate showed up in S2. IIRC it was the ep where Sam went undercover in prison and Nate was already there as the prison shrink.

YumYum

YumYum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

Gee, maybe Nell and Nate will get married and move to...Florida or Canada...

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Liked having Nate back again-- I was starting to forget he existed. Also loved Nate calling Nell on her flirty behavior towards him around Eric.

I liked that this episode had a generally happy ending to a sad story-- and did anyone get shot in this episode?! I can't remember anyone actually getting shot... that must be a record.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

I liked that this episode had a generally happy ending to a sad story-- and did anyone get shot in this episode?! I can't remember anyone actually getting shot... that must be a record.

They moved the Guns and Blood money into the Pyrotechnics(big explosions) budget for this episode. :-P

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:20 AM

I know it's the mother show that has the TWoP tag "Now with 100% Less Navy" but this one has surpassed it in incredibility. They don't even bother pretending anymore that NCIS has any jurisdictionional boundaries at all. The suspect was an ex-Marine which means NCIS can have absolutely nothing to do with the case. It's getting almost as bad as JAG, which I quickly abandoned and got so unrealistic even the Navy severed all ties to it and refused to allow them to do any more filming on military bases or ships.

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

They don't even bother pretending anymore that NCIS has any jurisdictional boundaries at all.

No kidding. Hetty being all teed off because the FBI busted the alleged domestic terrorist instead of them didn't make any sense at all. That's the FBI's job, Hetty, and it always has been. NCIS:LA seems to think that they're the only law enforcement or intelligence agency at all; the NSA, the CIA, the FBI, and the LAPD all exist either to serve or be foils to them.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

No kidding. Hetty being all teed off because the FBI busted the alleged domestic terrorist instead of them didn't make any sense at all. That's the FBI's job, Hetty

AFAIK, domestic terrorism prevention *is* one of NCIS's duties, so even if there isn't a direct Naval connection, any potential act of domestic terrorism falls under their remit.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

Unless Wikipedia's information is totally wrong (which in this case, I doubt), in real life NCIS does handle all investigations related to crimes committed by the Marine Corps, and has since 1999. The Marine Corps is a branch of the Department of the Navy.

See: http://en.wikipedia....igative_Service

So they absolutely would have had jurisdiction over this case, with an ex-Marine link. Especially since initially it seemed that the bomb could have had something to do with his experience with an IED, that is, related to his military service.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

in real life NCIS does handle all investigations related to crimes committed by the Marine Corps, and has since 1999. The Marine Corps is a branch of the Department of the Navy. So they absolutely would have had jurisdiction over this case, with an ex-Marine link. Especially since initially it seemed that the bomb could have had something to do with his experience with an IED, that is, related to his military service.

Wiki is certainly wrong about part of that. NCIS investigates crimes committed on a military installation, contractor fraud against the Navy/MC, or crimes by Navy/Marine Corps personnel against other military personnel. If the crime is committed off-base, against civilians, then the local police have sole jurisdiction. If the crime is committed by a former member of the Navy/Marines, then NCIS has no jurisdiction and again it is handled by the local police. The show gets around it occasionally by having a victim be a Navy/MC Reservist whose duties during his two weeks of service per year involve classified information and it may be related to that information.

AFAIK, domestic terrorism prevention *is* one of NCIS's duties, so even if there isn't a direct Naval connection, any potential act of domestic terrorism falls under their remit.

Only if it is domestic terrorism aimed against the Navy/Marine Corps. Otherwise it is FBI & Homeland Security alone.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

No kidding. Hetty being all teed off because the FBI busted the alleged domestic terrorist instead of them didn't make any sense at all. That's the FBI's job, Hetty, and it always has been. NCIS:LA seems to think that they're the only law enforcement or intelligence agency at all; the NSA, the CIA, the FBI, and the LAPD all exist either to serve or be foils to them

Didn't you know when you enlist in the Navy or Marine Corps you are implanted with a chip and Eric's super computer follows you for life ;) The Special Projects Office had to be slipping they must have been too busy trying to stay undercover and while taking jurisdiction of homicides of navy veterans away from the local police and District Attorney. They actually let an ex Marine carry a bomb around town and the magnificent seven didn't even act until the FBI got involved. And then the FBI Director sent a new Special Agent/guard to LA who was so green he had not even heard of the legend of the Great Hetty

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Finally caught up with the Return of Nate episode which I quite enjoyed (despite the lack of bad guys getting spectacularly shot). Of course, I'm not bothered by those pesky details about which department has the authority/jurisdiction over what. Doesn't seem to make sense for me to be tweaked about facts if the writers are not going to be.

I find Nate highly entertaining in his quiet and oh-so-smarter than you kind of way (without being smug about it). I'd like to see him back a lot more often. He even made annoying girl more tolerable. I could have done without all the Eric flirting stuff, but I liked how she got herself psyched out over what Nate must think of her.

I guess since the "bad guys" this ep were primarily those rigid, non-cooperative FBI types you can't really shoot them up.

TriniGirl - thanks for pointing out the pyrotechnic costs would have eaten into the Guns & Blood budget. Makes me feel better.

Hee - Harold and Maude. Nice take down of Harold, Deeks.

Has G always had the Jag? Cause, if so, I totally missed it.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

Has G always had the Jag? Cause, if so, I totally missed it.

Isn't the Jag Hetty's? Callen drives an Aston Martin.

sisterfive

sisterfive

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

Eric Olsen and Daniela Ruah were both at the Lockheed Martin exhinit at today's USA Science and Engineering Fest. They were terrific and very patient with answering the younger ones' questions. LM had the big pixel screen on display and they talked about that and some of the other science-y aspects of the show. Eric was funny when he talked about his brother the stunt double knocking a guy off a motorcycle, calling it geometry.