NCIS: Los Angeles: 'Cause San Diego Isn't Cool Enough

• Please log in to reply

4128 replies to this topic

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 2:06 PM

Just read about the recast, I'm glad I wasn't a fan of her on CSI either, I'm surprised though because I read years ago she was a favorite of one of the big wigs at CBS Les Moon-something-or-other), which was one of the reasons why she was brought to CSI in the first place.

I am now getting more interested in this show, now if only they could change the name and move it to a new night (spread it out).

kar328

kar328

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 2:24 PM

Add me to the Hollis Mann camp. I loved Susanna Thompson's episodes. Hated the whole Macy backstory with Gibbs. I was hoping it was more that she did something to mess up the protection of Kelly and Shannon, resulting in their murders. I thought that would be more interesting than the way they played it. But hey, at least it wasn't romantic.

kkowalski

kkowalski

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 2:25 PM

I still thinks NCIS: Special Ops is a good name. Maybe when it starts to gain its own audience they can move it.

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 2:36 PM

I agree Ohmo, but I don't see why there's be any suspension of disbelief. NCIS is a civilian organization and Col Mann is no longer Col Mann, and could easily be hired by NCIS.

OK, works for me. I thought there would be an issue with Mann working for the Army and then moving to investigate the Navy. If there had been, I would have suspended disbelief anyway because I like her character, and I can totally accept Mann as head of an undercover unit.

I hope that Shane Brennan completely takes Macy off the canvas. I'd really have liked it if he had never written that Macy has been shielding Gibbs from a murder investigation for 18 years. Since the audience can't "unknow" what they know, taking Macy off the canvas would at least be something. Mark Harmon's Gibbs isn't going anywhere that we know of on NCIS, so damage control on Gibbs' history could be addressed by getting rid of Macy. Maybe she'll resign because of what happened with Callan, and then Hollis Mann can be brought in.

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 3:14 PM

If it's not just a recast (compare the "Elizabeth Weir" character in Stargate: SG1 and later Stargate: Atlantis, who was originally played by NCIS's own Jessica Steen and later Torri Higginson) but bringing in a whole "new" character such as Col. Mann, then this could be a very good way of shaking things up.

And, this change might be useful for adding a season long mystery or some other arc, i.e., if they have Macy's character murdered, kidnapped or otherwise missing -- which would lead to a discovery that the LA crew has a mole or some other leak, or at least a way to introduce a nemesis/baddie. (Yeah, the murder route would probably be an over-used trope, but this would give the show's season premiere a solid kick start.)

Then, Col. Mann, or whoever they bring in, would be the by-the-book boss brought in to clean things up. And, I do very much like the idea of Col. Mann as I always enjoyed the character. Plus, the back-and-forth between her and Callan would be interesting, along with the psych guy trying to study her.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 3:15 PM

Was ambivalent about Macy - although I hated that they had to tie her story in with Gibbs, blech. But Holis Mann? DO NOT WANT.
I never took to her on NCIS and if she was on the spinoff, well even Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J wouldn't get me to watch.

Beacon

Beacon

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 5:39 PM

NCIS investigates crimes involving all branches of the Armed Forces, not just the Navy.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 5:45 PM

Actually, Beacon, (unless you work for NCIS and can correct me...which would be very cool ;D ), according to the official NCIS (organization, not TV show) website, their mission is:

In support of its mission—to prevent and solve crimes that threaten the warfighting capability of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps—NCIS pursues three strategic priorities: Prevent Terrorism, Protect Secrets, and Reduce Crime. NCIS' entire mission is supported by the Multiple Threat Alert Center and Infrastructure Protection/Computer Investigations.

That seems to confine their investigations to the Navy and Marine Corps, not to all branches of the military. JAG investigates all branches of the military, but NCIS is only for the Navy/Marines.

Zoned Out

Zoned Out

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 6:10 PM

Enthused Fish is correct, each branch has their own investigative service:
Naval Criminal Investigative Service
U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command
Air Force Office of Special Investigations
Coast Guard Investigative Service

JAG investigates all branches of the military, but NCIS is only for the Navy/Marines.

This is kind of correct, but not exactly. There is not an overarching JAG Corps that investigates anyone in the military. Each branch of the military has its own JAG Corps:
Judge Advocate General's Corps, U.S. Navy
Judge Advocate General's Corps, United States Army
Judge Advocate General's Corps, U.S. Air Force

The show JAG dealt with the Navy's JAG Corps which means it also encompassed the Marines. They rarely if ever dealt with the Army or the Air Force.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2009 @ 8:31 PM

The show JAG dealt with the Navy's JAG Corps which means it also encompassed the Marines. They rarely if ever dealt with the Army or the Air Force.

Ah, thanks for the clarification!

...and wasn't Col. Mann part of Army CID?

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

Ask Ausiello

Question: What's the deal with Louise Lombard's exit from NCIS: Los Angeles? I thought she was great. Are they recasting the character, or making a new one entirely? --Amy
Ausiello: That's TBD. My guess? They'll introduce a new character. And as far as why Lombard got the boot, I hear Macy didn't test well with viewers.

Hopefully they'll re-introduce an existing character (Hollis Mann, Hollis Mann). I'd be willing to bet that Macy's backstory didn't test well with viewers either. Shane Brennan really screwed the pooch there.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2009 @ 10:19 PM

Yes! *joins in chant* Hollis Mann! Hollis Mann! (I like the idea so much that I've started writing a story about it... ;D)

I agree that the Macy backstory was a huge mistake. I don't know why it was even necessary to have a person with that kind of relationship with Gibbs. tsk tsk Big mistake.

sl2266

sl2266

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2009 @ 1:19 AM

You have to love how Hollywood thinks. The lousy story was a big part of her not testing well so - fire the actor! "Mr. Jones, we've discovered you have a brain tumor, so we're going to amputate your leg."

I was reading the original posts from last night's repeat and it played about the same time this spin-off was announced. The first suggested title? "NCIS: Cleveland" So close, and yet, nowhere.

KateL

KateL

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 4, 2009 @ 9:03 AM

You have to love how Hollywood thinks. The lousy story was a big part of her not testing well so - fire the actor! "Mr. Jones, we've discovered you have a brain tumor, so we're going to amputate your leg."

LOL. Blame the actor - it does seem a lousy deal.

I didn't mind her or the role. She seemed young but watching TV always requires some suspension of reality and I was OK with that.

But then I didn't like Hollis Mann as I remember a caricature - she started out as a strong woman who was not intimidated by Gibbs and became needy when they struck up a relationship. Ugh!

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2009 @ 9:14 AM

I don't find that to be unusual. Primetime television series aren't like soap operas, where viewers often accept several actors who play one character throughout the years. There are exceptions in primetime, but for the most part, once an actor is publicly aired in a particular role, the show is committed to whatever was written for that character. If Shane Brennan had tested Macy with a private focus group and they hated her backstory, he could have re-worked it with Louise Lombard in the role. However, she was unfortunate enough to air in a lead role with a major backstory that now becomes crappy canon within TWO series.

This isn't a small thing like Gibbs and Fornell not knowing each other and then several episodes of NCIS later, the two characters now have a history. Viewers can accept minor tweeks like that. However, Shane Brennan wrote that the established lead character of a six-year-old series, who's supposed to be seen as a good guy, has been allowed to get away with murder for 18 years because evidence against him was discovered but knowingly suppressed by someone who now also is in a position of power. That's not something that Brennan can just fix with a little tweak. It was a major screw-up, because he tampered with Gibbs' canon in a way that he shouldn't have. It's not like Macy can turn around and say, "Oops, Nate got it wrong. I have no proof that Gibbs actually killed someone." Nate's supposed to be a super psychologist. The audience will not buy that, especially on a series that has no history to begin with, and Gibbs certainly isn't going to be investigated on NCIS.

The only way to really do damage control here is to take Macy off the canvas so that we can sort of return to where we were before, that it's known that Gibbs killed the drug dealer, but there's no actual concrete evidence that he did so. Macy knows where the evidence is because she suppressed it, but Gibbs and Nate now only know that such evidence exists. If Macy's gone, that evidence kind of fades into the background because no one knows for sure where it is. If she stays, then viewers of either show will always remember that she is responsible for Gibbs being a free man and even having a career at NCIS. Sabotaging the entire mythology of Leroy Jethro Gibbs by allowing Macy to remain as a viable character is just stupid. She's toast, and that means LL is too.

chicagofan

chicagofan

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 12:13 AM

There's a link on the Without a Trace thread to a Poppy Montgomery fan site with the following rumor...

It is just a rumor but it seems like Poppy has been contacted to play Lara Macy on CBS's new show NCIS Los Angeles, since Louise Lombard finally said no to the role. NCIS Los Angeles is the spin off of hit show NCIS and will be aire next fall on Tuesday 10pm.

So if this is true, Louise wanted out? Doesn't sound right.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 9:36 AM

Please let that only be a rumor. I didn't like PM on Without a Trace. The spinoff is already iffy to me. If she ends up being the leader of the team...no. Just no.

That's the first indication we've had for a reason to recast the team lead. I suppose it's as likely as any other possibility.

KateL

KateL

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 10:10 AM

That's the first indication we've had for a reason to recast the team lead. I suppose it's as likely as any other possibility.

Ohmo posted Ausiello's comment that Macy didn't test well with viewers. Change the actor or change the character? It will be interesting to see what they do.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 12:29 PM

Ohmo posted Ausiello's comment that Macy didn't test well with viewers.

Whoops! I forgot about that. My apologies. ...maybe it's because I tend to view Ausiello as someone else who talks without really saying anything.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 3:56 PM

Please let that only be a rumor. I didn't like PM on Without a Trace. The spinoff is already iffy to me. If she ends up being the leader of the team...no. Just no.

Well I loathed Sam on Without a Trace, but I actually quite liked PM on the few eps I saw of Glory Days. (even when she got to snog Eddie Cahill ;-)
So long as they don't have her shagging her way around the team, I guess it could work.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 4:33 PM

So long as they don't have her shagging her way around the team, I guess it could work

I just don't see her as a team leader. Perhaps, it's true, I have been ruined by WAT. :) I saw PM in a movie once, don't know what it's called. It took place in Mexico...and I didn't think she was very good there, either.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 7:02 PM

Re-casting Macy with Poppy Montgomery would lend even less credibility to the character, given that Poppy is younger than Louise Lombard, and we've already complained about the fact that Macy's military history is damn near preposterous.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2009 @ 11:38 PM

I am really hoping that they completely abolish the Lara Macy character and recast someone new and make her a new character (unless it's Hollis Mann, in which case I'm cool with that). Nothing against Louisa Lombard, but that was probably the only character I wasn't really interested in.

I don't watch Without A Trace, but I think it's a bad idea to cast an even younger actress in the Lara Macy role. Please, no. Plus, if they get rid of Macy, we forget about the whole "withholding evidence to protect Gibbs" turn.

KateL

KateL

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 4:15 AM

Whoops! I forgot about that. My apologies. ...maybe it's because I tend to view Ausiello as someone else who talks without really saying anything.

I know exactly what you mean!

My preference would be for a new character i.e. what they did to tweak the main NCIS pilot when they spun it away from JAG.

I could have coped with Louise Lombard as Macy but I am not sure I could handle a new face or interpretation. So someone new please and I'd rather it wasn't Hollis Mann - though I realise I am in a minority on here!

On timing, surely they should be starting to shoot the new series very soon so they will need to cast someone quickly.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 10:31 AM

I could have coped with Louise Lombard as Macy but I am not sure I could handle a new face or interpretation. So someone new please and I'd rather it wasn't Hollis Mann - though I realise I am in a minority on here!

I would be fine with a whole new character. If they could go back and change Macy's backstory, I would be fine with Macy. I didn't mind Louise Lombard. Susanna Thompson would at least be of a good age to deal with it all since she's in her early 50s. I really hope they don't go with a mere recast of Macy's character.

I agree that getting rid of Vivian Blackadder and replacing her with Kate was better than simply recasting her...because I didn't like Agent Blackadder either. She was annoying. :)

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 11:21 AM

It is just a rumor but it seems like Poppy has been contacted to play Lara Macy on CBS's new show NCIS Los Angeles, since Louise Lombard finally said no to the role. NCIS Los Angeles is the spin off of hit show NCIS and will be aire next fall on Tuesday 10pm.

This rumors feels to me to be just that, a rumor. For one if the character did not test well I don't think they would just replace the actress, I would think they would get rid of the character and write another. And another thing is everything I have read says nothing about turning the role down. I would think that everyone going in knew this was a backdoor pilot and as popular as NCIS, it must have been as close to a sure bet as you can get. Why would LL then be cast or take the role if she did not want the long term gig?

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2009 @ 11:29 PM

Whoever bet "they'll replace Macy with a hot young black agent" may have won the brass ring...

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Adam Jamal Craig has been added to CBS' new series "NCIS: Los Angeles" as a regular...

Craig will play a new character, Dominic Vaile, a new young agent. The actor drew the attention of the CBS casting executives this past pilot season with his performance on another CBS/CBS Studios drama pilot, "Washington Field." After the pilot didn't go, they recommended Craig to "NCIS: L.A." creator and "NCIS" showrunner Shane Brennan.

For some reason the name sounded familiar (seems like a good name for a singer), so I googled it. The character was actually mentioned in early spoilers about the spin-off (see this BuddyTV.com link):

Lastly, Dominic Vaile is a thirty-something surveillance expert who's still reeling from his departure from the Navy.

(I'm guessing the original character list came from a character breakdowns cover memo.) This character could be replacing the glasses wearing tech guy who didn't do much in the two-parter, or could be an additional character. So, I don't think this casting hire closes the door on a new boss character, though if Chris O'Donnell's character is the true lead, then putting him in charge of the whole unit (and ditching a new boss character) would remove much of the ambiguity.

Craig's IMDb profile is here.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2009 @ 8:34 AM

This character could be replacing the glasses wearing tech guy who didn't do much in the two-parter, or could be an additional character. So, I don't think this casting hire closes the door on a new boss character

If, for some odd reason, they put this guy in as the team leader, I will be very disappointed. There's no way he's old enough to be in charge of an NCIS team. No way. Make LL Cool J's character the lead if you want (although I'm still wishing for Hollis Mann...). He at least looks like he's out of high school. :)

Ohmo

Ohmo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2009 @ 9:07 AM

There's no way he's old enough to be in charge of an NCIS team. No way.

Never mind an NCIS team, isn't Macy supposed to be in charge of all of OSP? Like NCIS: Original, NCIS is larger than just Gibbs and Co. His team just happens to be the focus of the show. I thought that OSP worked the same way, with Macy heading a division comprised of several teams. I have a difficult time suspending enough belief to buy that NCIS would outlay those types of advanced technological resources for one handful of people. This new guy isn't old enough to be a convincing division head. C'OD isn't either, and Callan is too off-the-cuff as a character to realistically succeed Macy. Lead characters have to have a certain level of gravitas in order to be able to command the room and the TV screen and be taken seriously. Case in point: Jennifer Shepard (no gravitas) vs. Leon Vance (gravitas). Hollis Mann has that gravitas, and I'd agree that Faith Coleman does too. (Although I'd put Mann higher on the gravitas scale than Coleman.) I'd have no problem with New Guy being a team member (maybe to replace Renko, who didn't do much for me), but not a team leader.

One possible hitch to the Mann Plan: Would DPB have to be paid royalties if the character was brought to the spin-off since he created her? If so, I could see CBS possibly being resistant to that.

Enthused Fish

Enthused Fish

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2009 @ 1:09 PM

One possible hitch to the Mann Plan: Would DPB have to be paid royalties if the character was brought to the spin-off since he created her? If so, I could see CBS possibly being resistant to that.

Considering this is a spinoff of a show he created, wouldn't he be paid royalties anyway? That's a genuine question. I really don't know.

As for whether or not OSP is a large division, I didn't get the sense that it was...or at least that what we saw was an entire division. There's a staff and a team, but since it's the Office of Special Projects, I assumed it was simply a part of the San Diego field office. NCIS is a relatively small organization for all that it has a world-wide presence. I think there are something like 2,000 employees. None of their divisions would be huge, I don't think. ...but that's pure conjecture on my part.