NCIS: Los Angeles: 'Cause San Diego Isn't Cool Enough

• Please log in to reply

4130 replies to this topic

Gibasi

Gibasi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 1:17 PM

With all that symbolism I was fearing I'd have to take a quiz and write an essay.

I know!  They are two bad ass law enforcement types not poets!

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 2:30 PM

• I know!  They are two bad ass law enforcement types not poets!

Yup, but it is not the characters talking, it is Kalstein and his ego.  He supersedes the characters.  If they would have had them say hey, we've been through a lot and I'm not really ready, especially after what happened in Afghanistan.  I would have accepted it, because I could have related.  (We've all felt "that we weren't ready" at some point in our lives.)  But these b.s. metaphors don't cut it for most of the audience.  They either don't get it or they get it and think it is a bunch of pretentious slop (that's me). 

Edited by dirtydi, Apr 17, 2014 @ 2:46 PM.

snarkqueen

snarkqueen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 3:35 PM

• Yup, but it is not the characters talking, it is Kalstein and his ego.  He supersedes the characters.  If they would have had them say hey, we've been through a lot and I'm not really ready, especially after what happened in Afghanistan.  I would have accepted it, because I could have related.  (We've all felt "that we weren't ready" at some point in our lives.)  But these b.s. metaphors don't cut it for most of the audience.  They either don't get it or they get it and think it is a bunch of pretentious slop (that's me). 

Exactly. I would have loved to have seen an honest "look, if we get together, I want it to last, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that right now." Like you said, who can't relate to that? Instead there are raccoons and knives and boxes inside boxes and at the end of the scene I was so "huh?" that I practically couldn't remember if I was still married, much less figure out the status of the Deeks/Kensi relationship. Pretentious slop, indeed.

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 3:44 PM

What makes me feel good is that the actors are not fawning over this episode on twitter.  Usually they are so gung ho about episodes they feel strongly about.

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 4:02 PM

Instead there are raccoons and knives and boxes inside boxes and at the end of the scene I was so "huh?" that I practically couldn't remember if I was still married, much less figure out the status of the Deeks/Kensi relationship. 

Yep. I think it was brought up that Deeks really went to a dark place while they were in Afghanistan, and that may be the reason he broke it off, and my response was that this should have been the reason, rather than that "three hearts" garbage some guest star threw at them. It made the "frozen lake" thing meaningless, because now they're just dealing entirely in metaphors. It cheapens the relationship. 

Deeks looked fine and happy. Back to his old self. So, his sudden change just from something a stranger said to him, seemed beyond ridiculous. I praised them for how they handled his return after being tortured, but this was sloppy and painful to watch. It's funny, because I did like Angelo as a character, but not so much so that he could influence two people who are so madly in love with each other, to break up.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 4:04 PM

Season finale spoilers:

When to Watch: Tuesday, May 13 at 9 p.m.

What to Expect: The NCIS LA team and the DEA discover a plot to bring a whole mess of cocaine to the US with a submarine, and it's up to Callen and Sam to find the sub. Plus, Washington comes a-calling for Hetty as a repercussion from the Afghanistan mission.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 4:14 PM

ExtraTV, Tanika Raye, interviews Daniela & Eric about the finale [currently being filmed]. PS: Interview will air the week of the finale. 

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 4:39 PM

"Exposure

Episode Number: 23

Air date: May 6th

Written by: Jordana Lewis Jaffe & Joe Wilson

Directed by: Robert Florio

Synopsis: The team is called in for a weekend case following a deadly explosion at a military-sponsored charity event

When a news reporter announces the group responsible for the deadly explosion at a military-sponsored charity event, the team must investigate her claims and search for the attacker

secnarf

secnarf

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 10:44 PM

Plus, Washington comes a-calling for Hetty as a repercussion from the Afghanistan mission.

This made me so happy. It's about time!

Also, I really didn't like Angelo, and I agree it's ridiculous for Deeks to decide he doesn't want their thing based on five minutes with Angelo.

However, I can sort of see the metaphors being used by the characters as a way to not say what they're feeling and to depersonalize it, as sort of a protective mechanism. It went a little overboard in this episode, though.

I don't even remember where the box came from initially :P

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 10:55 PM

Also, I really didn't like Angelo, and I agree it's ridiculous for Deeks to decide he doesn't want their thing based on five minutes with Angelo.

Yes!

However, I can sort of see the metaphors being used by the characters as a way to not say what they're feeling and to depersonalize it, as sort of a protective mechanism. It went a little overboard in this episode, though.

Yes Yes!

I, too, wish that Deeks had been more direct with what happened in Afghanistan (did he tell Kensi about it).  I feel like Deeks is smarter than to listen to a hood like Angelo.  Just my opinion of course.

I still like the characters, and I'm happy that Hetty will get some comeuppance for what happened in Afghanistan, but I'd also like to see Granger get some comeuppance as well.  And anyway, I think that Hetty has enough political capitol (or knows where the bodies are buried) to come through this okay.

Mostly, though, I want to see G, Sam, Deeks and Kensi deal with Hetty, as she really did betray (or at least make one hell of an error) them this time around.  But please god please, don't put Granger in charge.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 11:07 PM

I still like the characters, and I'm happy that Hetty will get some comeuppance for what happened in Afghanistan, but I'd also like to see Granger get some comeuppance as well.

I too hope that Hetty takes a whole lot of hell for the stupid she pulled.  It is beyond fathomable that her little "plan" was well thought out.  It was stupid, through and through.  Now we are learning in each episode, including the last, that folks are nothing more than pawns for her in this little empire in her mind.  Oh, Callen, you has a sad that I kept the details of your family from you, here have some scotch with me, all will be well!  You loved someone and then they went away with PTSD?  Here, let me not comfort you because I know where he is, let me play with your emotions and totally screw you over on this little trip to to "take him out" Kensi.  And then I shall welcome you back with open arms after I destroyed you!

However, do I expect her to take heat?  No, no I don't because as far as I can tell, there is no forward movement in this show.  Folks fall in love and want to be in a relationship.  The show says, let's play with that, but then blow it up and throw raccoons at them instead.  So, when they say Hetty will face consequences, I interpret that to mean like it looks like she will, but nope, no she will not.  I'm guessing she'll get an annoying puppy in Washington, his naughtiness will be her comeuppance for being oh, I don't know, criminal, if not treasonous.

For this one particular instance, I'm not sure that Granger deserves consequences.  I'm not sure he did anything wrong on this mission here.

Of course, now that I've said all this, maybe they'll surprise me and boot Hetty.  Hahahahahah!

Edited by pennben, Apr 17, 2014 @ 11:13 PM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 11:11 PM

It was said that someone would be leaving this season. Everyone assumed it was Daniela/Kensi b/c of her pregnancy. Nope. Brennan knew Daniela was pregnant before the season started.  What if it's Hetty/Linda Hunt? 

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 11:25 PM

Well, if it is, they've destroyed a great character along the way; nothing she has done this year seems smart, it seems foolish, and this character despite harsh decisions she has made in that past never struck me as foolish. Also, I would miss the actress terribly. 

I don't know, I guess I don't really take a lot of stock in what they say anymore, because I keep getting reminded that they are just teasing and there is a formula they are following.  Perhaps the "one" that was leaving was the potential couple they introduced at the end of last year?

I just hope they pull out of the stupid and do something really great in these last few episodes.  I want to continue enjoying these folks going forward. 

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 11:59 AM

http://www.spoilertv...episode-21.html

Great review about how convoluted this episode is.

Edited by dirtydi, Apr 18, 2014 @ 4:28 PM.

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 2:10 PM

Some good quotes from the above review:

Ever since he (somewhat) expressed his feelings, Deeks has been the one to push to move the relationship forward while Kensi was afraid of the repercussions. But in “Three Hearts,” the roles were reversed – for no apparent reason. Well, no apparent good reason, anyway.

As Deeks and Kensi interrogate the potentially rogue agent, the man’s arguments start to upset Deeks. But the problem is, those arguments were convoluted and made no sense.

It seemed by his explanation that the third heart was innately a negative situation. Angelo made it seem like if you ever let anyone see that third personal heart that holds secrets and truths and everything that you value and fear and love, you are doomed, no matter who it is. After all, he’d mentioned that the second heart was for a soul mate. So who could be worthy of your third heart? It seemed to me no one, which would make no sense because it would have no purpose. 

He implies things go bad when they get too personal – but to me it came across as hollow because he never talked about why getting personal is so bad. He never aimed his dialogue at a partner-type situation, which would have made more sense. Instead, he spoke all-inclusively. And in that case, I couldn’t see how any of the “accusations” he threw at them were bad. 

I wouldn’t have thought Deeks would buy into any of this. Deeks is usually very smart at seeing through people and none of Angelo’s arguments were very powerful. If there had been some kind of event or circumstance that happened during this operation that showcased how dangerous it was for Kensi and Deeks to be so close, I could understand. But in this case an angry and arrogant man simply rambled about things that made no sense and it rattled Deeks. This simply did not feel genuine to the character.

These back and forth matches of who is scared and who is defending their relationship are beginning to feel like a ping-pong match. First Kensi is scared of getting too close and what that will do to them, and now it’s Deeks’ turn. But without a genuine reason to make him feel like that, the ping-pong game is feeling a little fixed.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 11:27 PM

Thinking about what it would do to the team of four friendship/partnerships if/when Hetty's job/actions were called into question. In my opinion, Callen is ride or die for Hetty no matter what. Kensi/Deeks would be on the same side about that Afghan mission and how/what it cost Kensi, emotionally & physically. I think the true wild card is Sam. He's loyal to Hetty & has put his life/career on the line for her but he's also someone who understands the spoils of war [pun intended] and what that can do to a person. Not just any person in this case but Kensi! Last episode I saw a little bit of annoyance & preservation & wondering about Hetty's motives from Kensi and Deeks [see the scene after they finish "interrogating" Angello]. There a tiny crack in that armor w. those 3 and I feel like this investigation into Hetty might put a whole hole in it. It will be interesting to see how this Afghan investigation into Hetty plays out for the core four as well as Granger, Eric, Nell, and Hetty herself.  

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 11:18 AM

A very funny gif about the box

http://ncis-los-ange...ost/83197700612

webruce

webruce

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 1:57 PM

Wasn't sure for awhile if Agent Paul Angelo was still good or had turned bad. I figured though since he had gotten out of his hand cuffs that when Granger and Hetty were talking about him, that he would be gone when they came back into the boat shed interrogation room. But they later let him go, his real name and records are wiped out.
    I had a half notion when Angelo gave the team the "Safe Word, Flint, Michigan" it would turn out bad for the team. Olivia Brunson did seem to have more smarts then her husband Tyler. He was kinda whacky acting. I figured when Tyler Brunson was on the ground by the car that he was going to try to shoot. Kensi snipping one then later tackling a running Olivia was nice. Thought maybe she would have had a flash back or hesitated on her shot, but nope she did well.
 Did like how Angelo talked about Kensi and Deeks relationship. Then later they discussed it. Kensi finally gave Deeks the box, to find another box inside. So that will be stretched again. Also Kensi wanting her gym bag back that Hetty was holding for evidence. She didn't think her Wonder Woman sports bra was evidence. Deeks said he had Superman Underwear, and Kensi said she didn't have to hear that? They are, or were dating. Maybe they didn't go to bed, but still......
 I thought it was cool when Granger asked, "Beginning of the end??" Hetty replies, "End of the beginning!"

anna0852

anna0852

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 3:44 PM

Thinking about what it would do to the team of four friendship/partnerships if/when Hetty's job/actions were called into question. In my opinion, Callen is ride or die for Hetty no matter what. Kensi/Deeks would be on the same side about that Afghan mission and how/what it cost Kensi, emotionally & physically. I think the true wild card is Sam. He's loyal to Hetty & has put his life/career on the line for her but he's also someone who understands the spoils of war [pun intended] and what that can do to a person.

Now this would be good drama!

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2014 @ 11:04 AM

I want to be at my place right now....with you.

Gets me every time.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2014 @ 9:22 PM

Explosions next week, yay!