NCIS: Los Angeles: 'Cause San Diego Isn't Cool Enough

• Please log in to reply

4108 replies to this topic

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Today, 11:41 AM

Samantha- I agree with you on the threatening the cast and/or crew about unfollowing them or stop watching them.  Just do it, like I did.  No need to tweet them about what you will do.  Like they really care, they made their money.  A few less followers/viewers are not gonna break them.

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 11:42 AM

I'm not surprised that Deeks is the one pulling back. I think he worries a lot about the darker parts of himself, something we've only seen before in the context of his undercover legend Max Gentry. I think he scared the hell out of himself when he waterboarded the inman in Afghanistan and that slimy conversation with Angelo just made things worse. 

And if he'd cited these as the reasons he pulled back, that would have been fine, but instead it was "Angelo is right."

He also went undercover as Max before he agreed to a "thing" and was fine going full-tilt into it.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Today, 11:44 AM

Sam84 I think they used the same music at the end of the episode as they used in Impact when Deeks fell asleep watching a movie with Kensi. Is that an actual song by someone, or is it the show music the producers have labeled it as the Deeks/Kensi theme?

KPC ~ I was wondering if anyone else would notice the music at the end mirrored the one in Impact. The name of the song is Give Up The Ghost and it's by Rosi Golan ft. Johnny McDaid. And yes, in my opinion & to me, it has become the Densi theme song. :-}

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Today, 12:15 PM

As requested:  You have to go to this blog http://hermionesmydawg.tumblr.com/ for pages of fun stuff.  Raccoons and boxes. 

Thanks!

ETA: They must be doing something right, because they were number 1 in the ratings in their timeslot as usual last night. And overall, it's not a bad show for what it is. A fun show where stuff goes boom (and 20 innocent bystanders get shot each episode). I just don't care enough about the plots to suffer through them to get to the character interaction.

Edited by Ulkis, Today, 12:24 PM.

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Today, 12:39 PM

They are usually # 1.  And of course the demos will be up for a Densi promoted episode.  And Densi fans are greatly responsible for the online/twitter buzz, no matter how some try to say they aren't.  All this buzz about hating or liking the episode/show is music to their ears.  They will keep stringing the viewers along if people continue to watch and talk about it.  In the end, TPTB win.  I also think what is helping the ratings is syndication and that NCIS is losing some of their buzz.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Today, 12:46 PM

I don't think we've ever seen them, but Sam has mentioned having at least two kids; a boy and a girl. No idea of the ages.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Today, 12:59 PM

Alas, that moment could quickly be ruined by the return of DEA Agent Talia in the season finale.

Jeez...couldn't they have picked someone who there was chemistry with?

The writers were out of their depth trying to go deep and oblique.  They did not do it well.

Sounds like Agent Angelo will be back at some point. 

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Today, 01:15 PM

Forgot another great tumblr that parodies the episodes and metaphors

http://wingsofnight....83714/hailhydra

snarkqueen

snarkqueen

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 03:45 PM

Yeah, Deeks's withdrawal just seemed out of left field for me. He's been in love with Kensi for three seasons, she finally gets to a point where she's ready to embrace their "thing" and he backs away? That's just poor writing, IMO. If they were going to go that route they should have built up to it... Show him having doubts, have him talk to Kensi or someone else about his fears, *something.* That decision needed context. Or, at the very least, more clarity. Where are we supposed to think they stand now? A box inside a box and a comment about raccoons mating for life? Three seasons of buildup and that's what we get? Huh?

Just... bleh. The constant angst between Tony and Ziva ruined the original show for me. I really, really don't like the implication that they're taking Kensi and Deeks in the same direction. Have them be partners, be friends, be lovers, be whatever, but don't have them be a tease. That's not fun, it's not interesting, it's not good TV. It's just boring and played out.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Today, 03:49 PM

'Do you ever see the way she looks at you when you fidget with your hair?'

'Ever hear how he gets stronger just by hearing the sound of your voice'

Three seasons of buildup and that's what we get? Huh?

You talk like their done. Their not done -- this was just the beginning. "The end of the beginning" aka they've moved passed that 1st phase. The denying there is something between them -- to each other and to themselves. 

snarkqueen

snarkqueen

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 04:27 PM

'Do you ever see the way she looks at you when you fidget with your hair?'

'Ever hear how he gets stronger just by hearing the sound of your voice'

You talk like their done. Their not done -- this was just the beginning. "The end of the beginning" aka they've moved passed that 1st phase. The denying there is something between them -- to each other and to themselves. 

Well that's just it, I don't know if they are done. You could interpret the final scene the way you have, or you could interpret (more easily IMO) it as Deeks friend-zoning Kensi back to where they were a long time ago. I mean, she asked him what his third heart said and he gave back her knife. Not as significant as giving back an engagement ring, maybe, but I have a hard time interpreting it as a gesture meaning "I love you, let's move forward!" I assume the writers kept it unclear on purpose, to keep viewers guessing. I hate romantic guessing games.

Edited by snarkqueen, Today, 04:32 PM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Today, 04:32 PM

He gave her back the knife true and she knew what that could mean. But you have to go past that scene. What did she do afterwards? She went and got the box and she opened it w. the knife. What did she say after that? "It's still sharp" -- not just talking about the knife.  Remember that Kensi is the one that kept telling Deeks to open the box. What the box originally meant -- a gift she got him b/c she forgot his birthday and that what's in it is what he's always wanted. Her taking that box down & opening it was a gesture. A gesture to him, for him, for them.  Her smile after she walks away, after opening it, and his smile as he walks away after he's opened it.  

The relationship that exists between Deeks and Kensi is something special. If they were to get together before either of them is ready there’s no real or believable way they could break up and go back to being just partners. Because of that fact, when it finally does happen, and these two get together, it will be forever. So even though Deeks’ third heart is telling him he’s not ready just yet, he will be one day.

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Today, 04:47 PM

And they'll say, all of your interpretations are correct.  We made you think, aren't we clever? Go on this glorious journey with us.  Anything so they don't have to commit to a storyline and drag it out until the last season of the show.  Sorry won't be there.  Good luck to everyone who stays.  It was about this time, where I quit NCIS too.   I got tired of the repetition with all the characters and same goes here.  I stayed on with LA, hoping it would be a little different, but this episode was the last straw.  I have been unimpressed with the show for a while now, not liking the plots, the villains were boring, and even the banter (with everyone) was not as crisp and funny like it used to be.  I have been falling asleep on many too.  I have felt that my time has been wasted, too many times this season.

I will still keep up with the this board (until it closes) because you all have some great insights here.  I think we have a nice balance of respectful people who still like the show and those who are more critical of the show here.  I will also keep up with the actors, who I like better than the show.

Edited by dirtydi, Today, 04:51 PM.

anna0852

anna0852

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 04:48 PM

He gave her back the knife true and she knew what that could mean. But you have to go past that scene. What did she do afterwards? She went and got the box and she opened it w. the knife. What did she say after that? "It's still sharp" -- not just talking about the knife.  Remember that Kensi is the one that kept telling Deeks to open the box. What the box originally meant -- a gift she got him b/c she forgot his birthday and that what's in it is what he's always wanted. Her taking that box down & opening it was a gesture. A gesture to him, for him, for them.  Her smile after she walks away, after opening it, and his smile as he walks away after he's opened it.  

That's it exactly Sam84. You don't walk away smiling if it's the end. They both admitted something is there. And maybe that's all that can be addressed by either of them right now. This isn't the series finale. We have more eps this season and the 6th on the horizon (god, it's going to be a long summer!).

As far as the return of DEA Talia (is that her name?) goes...I don't think Deeks is interested in her in the least. She gave him plenty of signals last time and he's not biting. I think either an op goes bad and someone's life is on the line or he gets a legit job offer from DEA that is tempting enough to consider. I remember some lines from that ep about DEA being understaffed and he's definitely got the undercover skills to make them take notice.

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 04:59 PM

He gave her back the knife true and she knew what that could mean.

Actually, in some cultures that means you're severing the relationship between the gifter and the giftee.  That's why you'll sometimes see when knives are given as gifts, a coin taped to the blade, and the giftee is supposed to give the coin back, thereby "buying" the knife.  Which is an entirely different transaction, I guess, superstition-wise.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Today, 05:55 PM

Forgot another great tumblr that parodies the episodes and metaphors

http://wingsofnight....83714/hailhydra

Oh dear lord, dirtydi, that image with the raccoon and reassuring words like "knife" and "box" made me yell again. Because I fell off of my chair giggling like a loon and hurt myself!  

We may be in the middle of a cliche, but by god, we are going to have fun!

Edited by pennben, Today, 06:02 PM.

SweetToooth

SweetToooth

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 06:14 PM

I was looking at some of the comments on that site. These I feel are right on.

In the meantime we’ll just get bantery friendship with no discussion until the (nextrandom person who has opinions about partners dating) catalyst comes along that pushes them to address their “thing” (which is actually no longer a “thing” because they’re just bffs) in an indecipherable combination of looks, objects, and discussion of wildlife.

I am fine with Deeks and Kensi not being together just yet, I really am. I mean, personally, I think it’s kind of stupid that two adults who are attracted to each other don’t do something (and I don’t just mean sexy time. Talking would be fine). However, logically I can see why there may be reasons why they would want to take their relationship incredibly super slow. But they have to give us a real reason and tell us with real words. Not a knife sliding across a desk and a look. Not two or three different metaphors that we’re supposed to interpret. Why is it that 10 minutes with a complete stranger who has barely (if at all) seen the two of them interact with each other have a greater impact on the future of their relationship then how they actually feel themselves?

I still don’t understand why Deeks and Kensi are taking a step back from their relationship. Or how that was presented to us in last night’s episode.

Edited by SweetToooth, Today, 06:16 PM.

housekeeper

housekeeper

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 06:33 PM

Personally I liked this show when it was more of an ensemble cast and not focused primarily on 2 characters ! I liked Kensi and Deeks until they started dominating every aspect of the show and overtaking everything :-( I cannot remember the last time that Sam, Callen, and or Hetty got a stand out episode since the whole Densi fiasco started and it is really annoying ! Also I happen to like Nell and Eric too but all NCIS LA is now is all Kensi/Deeks and that's about it which is a shame !

Kitten Poker Cheater

Kitten Poker Cheater

Stalker

Posted Today, 06:43 PM

So,  frozen lake + knife+ raccoons + box/ 3 hearts  = Tru Wuv?  

I feel like their storyline for this season had a great build, and then fizzled.  Disappointing that there wasn't more of a payoff for the viewers for this season.  Hopefully we'll get one more kiss before the end of the season, but I'm not holding my breath.  I would like to see more progress for the pair in season six.

Sigh.  I wish last night's episode had been more engaging.  Perhaps then I'd be focusing more on that than trying to figure out what's going on inside Deeks' head.  If he's afraid of turning Dark, perhaps we could see him work on it (or have Hetty let him know he's not responsible for Kensi going to Afghanistan)?

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Today, 06:45 PM

One thing I think “Three Hearts” absolutely got right was Kensi. The first part of this season, I was actually looking forward to her leaving because I hated what was happening to her. I was not liking “first half of season 5” Kensi at all.  

But I loved everything about her in “Three Hearts.” She was happy to be working with Deeks again. She wasn’t weird or awkward around him. Except for a little bit of nervousness in the beginning, she didn’t shy away from talking to him. When Angelo was trying to rattle them in interrogation, she was holding it together and was supportive when Deeks was having a difficult time. She was completely badass and wasn’t reluctant at all to jump right back into the field. She was disappointed when he gave her knife back, but she let him know that she understood and that it’s not over.

Housekeeper ~ Callen got a stand alone episode this season ... the 100th episode: Reznikov, N. Hetty had a one this season as well, [written by one of last night's episode writer, Dave Kalstein] Tuhon. Ascension and Impact were Sam and Deeks based, in dealing w. their torture & the impact [no pun intended] and fallout of it. We've had Nell centric episodes in Merry Evasion & last week's Zero Days. Sam and Callen also had their stand alone episode which was a callback to their first case, which was also Hetty's centric episode, Tuhon

The backdrop of this season has been Kensi and Deeks but, in my opinion, it hasn't eaten the show. Other characters have had a chance to shine. They were more so able to shine b/c Daniela's pregnancy & maternity leave took Kensi off canvas [in LA. w the team] for multiple episodes. 

Edited by Samantha84, Today, 06:46 PM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Today, 06:53 PM

REVIEW: NCIS: LOS ANGELES SEASON 5, EPISODE 21 “THREE HEARTS

housekeeper

housekeeper

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 07:12 PM

The point is Samantha that Deeks/Kensi are more or less dominating every aspect of this series and the fact that you had to bring up that due to Daniiela being off the canvas attributed to it makes it even more obvious that tptb are showcasing these two much more than any of the others hence the limited stand alone episodes to the many Kensi/Deeks centric episodes ! I like Kensi and Deeks but the overload of these two is tedious and I know I am in the minority but too much of a good thing wears mighty thin after awhile .

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Today, 07:19 PM

We'll agree to disgaree, housekeeper. This season was mapped out during the summer, last year. Shane said that the relationship of Kensi/Deeks would be showcased more this year and, yes, it has but I don't think it's taken over every aspect. No more than Callen's continuing mysterious back story of seasons & episodes past.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Today, 07:24 PM

There is no question this show is solid in the ratings, but while being #1 in the ratings for their slot, apparently the demos were down to near series lows

I don't attribute the downs to this episode, nor the ups to other episodes related to this pair, there's a whole hell of a lot going on with ratings and time of year and other such things that I can't purport to pinpoint reasons for a particular week.  And probably, the ratings will be the ratings for years, with ups and downs, while ultimately trending down after a certain age.

I just get frustrated with this show, because they have about the cushiest slot ratingswise they could have, and it looked like they were going to use that to dare to be different.  But then, nope, no they did not.

If this show didn't break the cliche, well, I'm not sure any will. It is tiring to me that so many shows feel like the "will they, won't they" is great tv and play with that.  Interesting tv, in my opinion, is to answer the damn question.  Or, also interesting tv, is let them be and not ask that question.  Be better show!

P.S.  Hetty ain't all that!

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Today, 07:32 PM

Whether you think Densi dominates or not, I think the show is still failing to deliver on all of the characters.  I think the only character that has really grown this season has been Nell.  I'm telling you even if Callen was the main focus this season we still would be at the same place.  I was disappointed by the 100th episode, not because Deeks and Kensi were hardly in it, but Callen got no pay-off.  We still don't know his first name, he still doesn't know who his father is.  He just met a guy that he thought was his dad, knew his parents, and then got killed.  But we get promises by TPTB that so much will be revealed and we get ugatz.   This season is such a let down on all fronts, except for a good episode or a guest star here or there.  And another thing, some of these guest stars get more airtime than the main 6.  Did we need to spend so much time with the agent guy last night, Talia, or Tuhon?  I don't care about them.  I guess I have to remember that they are plot contrivances to point out that Hetty knows everybody and is everybody's puppeteer or that they have great insight into Kensi and Deeks, who they met for 5 minutes.

Edited by dirtydi, Today, 11:39 PM.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Today, 07:45 PM

But we get promises by TPTB that so much will be revealed and we get ugatz. 

Well, I'm not sure I know what "ugatz" means, but sing it!

It is interesting that I think "teasing" viewers with reveals and "clues" and whatnot are maybe becoming more of a turnoff than a reason to tune in each week?

Because, boyhowdy, HIMYM cured me of sticking with a show that went off the rails, just because I wanted to see the answer.  When the answer sucks, and you realized you stayed with a show too long...you realize the answers aren't worth it.

Despite my frustrations, I still like these folks, so I keep playing for now.  But, I'm also not going to stick around for a series of teases, be they G or Kensi/Deeks, Hetty or otherwise, because I've learned that lesson....burned into my brain this year again.  I hope it took.

Edited by pennben, Today, 07:47 PM.

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Today, 08:10 PM

Well, I'm not sure I know what "ugatz" means, but sing it!

it is Italian slang for male genitalia

So glad I didn't get into HIMYM, but I heard a earful from tumblr and my real life friends.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Today, 08:13 PM

With all that symbolism I was fearing I'd have to take a quiz and write an essay.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Today, 08:16 PM

it is Italian slang for male genitalia

Oh my!:)...blushes....I'm not sure I should have talked about singing that!!!!

Carry on y'all!!

Edited by pennben, Today, 08:17 PM.