The Middle

• Please log in to reply

3744 replies to this topic

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Such a great episode! It was touching and funny. My parents totally burned ticks off us when we were kids. Loved that Sue got a "win."

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Tonight's episode was one of my favorites.

I really liked how Axl was just there for weird Ashley

One of my favorite relationships on the show. Axl and weird Ashley have this whole history together, and every step of the way Axl hasn't been motivated by the thing that usually motivates teenage boys. He doesn't want to get in her pants, he mostly wishes he hadn't gotten involved with her at all, but at the end of the day he always does right by her.

and Sue and Axl's friend was pretty awesome too. I loved how their outfits matched.

Darrin's always played up as the dunce, so it was nice to see him have things more figured out than Axl. They dynamic between him and Sue was sweet, and it was nice to see Sue notch a legitimate win.

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

I was cracking up when Frankie was driving along with the inner monologue and the old lady was in the back talking about her sister and the library and all of that. I was really wondering if they were going to have Frankie completely miss that.

Sue and 'Kickin' it Teen Style' is always hilarious. The stuff with curfew was great. "So, have I earned your trust?" "Yes. But Darren hasn't and he's so dumb. I'll see you at eleven."

I LOVE John Cullum and he's so perfect as Mike's dad. That bit at the end when he got the flashlight to join in was actually quite sweet.

But the prom? Awesome. Axl's various plans all going sour on him. Both of his friends getting dates. Darren liking Sue because she's a good conversationalist and likes to dance... and Axl's horrified reactions to all of it. Plus, I love his running commentary on Weird Ashley. "I didn't ask her! She's a witch and she tricked me with her mind powers!"

Damn, that was nice at the end, though. Axl and Weird Ashley. Why do I want to see their wedding? I can barely imagine what it will look like but it would be great. I really would love to see one of these situations where Axl winds up asking her out against his will. It always seems to happen off screen and Axl's at a loss for what happened.

Love it.

twinmom

twinmom

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:39 AM

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but why does Brick sometimes say something, then put his head down & whisper the last word he said? Is it something he learned in his social group?

I believe he does it as a comforting mechanism.

msstaceyu

msstaceyu

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:47 AM

Pretty good episode. I loved all things having to do with the prom. As much as I love Sue, I was a bit disappointed with her dress. It was cute that she and her date matched, but part of me wishes that they would have made her over so that everyone at the dance could have seen her in a different light and then have her go back to her regular "Sue wardrobe" the next day.

MelsW

MelsW

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

Sue and 'Kickin' it Teen Style' is always hilarious.

I always love her references to that site!

As much as I love Sue, I was a bit disappointed with her dress.

I thought it was hilarious, only because it reminded me of the style of those Disney princess dresses you can buy as dress-up clothes for 4 year old kids.

I also liked the smoking librarian taking care of Aunt Edie, two peas in a pod!

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

It didn't make sense to me that someone would ask Ashley to prom right before the prom, then dumpt her at the prom, but still a funny storyline.

That tick on Brick (sounds like a Seuss book) scared me. I was thinking "DO SOMETHING AND GET IF OFF HIM!!!" Tick paralysis, Lyme disease, lord knows what he could get from that thing.

So they left their dishes on the dishwasher they gave away? I was wondering why they were using all sorts of weird glasses.

Those interview people were hilarious.

seals

seals

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

I don't wonder why I like this show. Last week Frankie said a line, about her nice stuff surrounded by everyone else's crap, that I have said myself. And my DSs were just doing the President's Physical Fitness test and I was asking why that thing went on for so long. This week, I had just been asking Sue's question "is it Prom or The Prom?" yesterday morning. [FWIW I always said "the prom" but "prom" seems to be more popular now.] I enjoyed this episode and my DSs have started watching with me and they liked it too. Few shows we can actually watch together and all laugh. Loved Sue's Disney princess dress and her and her date's dancing "style". Kickin' It Teen Style as the source of all information. Mike's father is a great character, as are Weird Ashley and Aunt Edie and her emphasymic dog.

Edited by seals, May 10, 2012 @ 9:20 AM.

andyllina

andyllina

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

I really would love to see one of these situations where Axl winds up asking her out against his will. It always seems to happen off screen and Axl's at a loss for what happened.

Axl "asking" Ashley to the prom did happen on screen, in the episode "The Sit Down."

I was a bit disappointed with her dress. It was cute that she and her date matched, but part of me wishes that they would have made her over so that everyone at the dance could have seen her in a different light and then have her go back to her regular "Sue wardrobe" the next day.

I was kind of hoping for this too.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

So they left their dishes on the dishwasher they gave away? I was wondering why they were using all sorts of weird glasses.

This was the only part of the show that bugged me (loved the rest of it). Didn't they get the new dishwasher months ago? Shouldn't they have noticed it by now? I wouldn't mind so much if they had had a comment or two in the last few episodes about not being able to find a mug or a spoon.

Why was Brick wearing band-aids/tape on his fingers later in the episode (I first noticed it when he dropped off the books at the library)? I must have missed something.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Is it something he learned in his social group?

It's actually one of the reasons he's in the social group. :-)

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

My parents totally burned ticks off us when we were kids.

Heh, I grew up with a dog in the Pine Barrens. We burned them off, pulled them out (we had a pair of tweezers just for ticks) or put vaseline on them to draw them out (they breathe through their bodies) so that whole scene cracked me up. We used to scare the other kids at camp with the "if you pull the body out but not the head" stories too so Brick's panic hit home. I don't like thinking about the time I stepped in the baby tick nest though. . .

I really liked how Axl was just there for weird Ashley

I might have teared up a bit at that--mascara running down her face , her look of relief at seeing Axl there, Axl's look of resignation and her going straight to him for comfort. It was great. I think what made it even better was that I was afraid it was Sean who had broken up with his new gal to help Axl out and that wouldn't have made either of them look good (but I think the girl was one of the ones coming out the bathroom talking about poor Ashley).

Loved Sue and Darrin having a grand ol' time and that Darrin thought pogo'ing was an example of how good of a dancer he was.

Edited by LT, May 10, 2012 @ 11:26 AM.

kammy76

kammy76

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

So many LOL moments last night, Aunt Edie telling Frankie, " You'll never get married if you don't learn how to cook" and Sue telling Axl that once she married his friend they would be related are two more that haven't been mentioned yet.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

Those interview people were hilarious.

I have hired homecare workers and those applicants were totally par for the course. Even when unemployment is high, almost no one wants the job and the ones who do are often really, really creepy and incompetent and unemployable under any circumstances... with a few needle in the haystack exceptions. I have to assume the writers have been there, because that bit was spot on.

I loved that Darrin and Sue had such a great time. I was worried that there'd be a misunderstanding and she'd think it was a romantic date while Darrin didn't, and that Sue would be the one crying in the bathroom. I was so relieved when it wasn't her!!

PattyorSelma

PattyorSelma

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

My hubby was also worried that Sue was the one crying in the bathroom. She didn't have romantic expectations, though, so I was not concerned. Weird Ashley was a surprise and the ending with Axl was just plain fantastic. I really love Axl.

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Why was Brick wearing band-aids/tape on his fingers later in the episode (I first noticed it when he dropped off the books at the library)? I must have missed something.

He got a paper cut after finding his unlucky four-leaf clover. I guess he got more paper cuts off-screen.

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

Before my son was born, I was a high school teacher, and Axl reminds me so much of some of my favorite students: Guys who seem like self-centered idiots at first glance, but really are nice guys deep down. I can remember trying not to smirk at some of their sarcastic (but not mean) comments in class; many of them were really funny. As unrealistic as I find Sue, I think Axl is nearly a perfect portrayal of a typical high school kid.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

Will Weird Ashley and Axl be end game? I think it would be cute if they ended up together. They could wear matching capes at their wedding.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Very feel good episode with a lot of chuckles. I too liked that Sue just had a great time and didn't assume Darren? was in love with her. Her princess gown was hysterical and he apparently liked it. Loved Aunt Edie and her new librarian friend/caretaker as well as the Brick/Mike/Mike Dad scenario. They do seem to have revamped Axl a bit - in the first season he had girls hanging all over him all the time and now he seems to not ever have a date, let alone a girlfriend, despite his (and I love it) self-assurance that he's the hottest guy that ever hotted. Even though it's slightly frantic, I do like these episodes where the whole family is involved. I think my least faves are the ones that are really Mike and Frankie-centric, even though I love their relationship.

And yes, I'm so glad Sue had a big win and a great time without the typical Sue projections for the most part.

mocksie

mocksie

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

I don't like thinking about the time I stepped in the baby tick nest though. . .

I just shuddered so hard my monitor shook.

I loved Sue and Darren. I've been so upset over Matt -- I felt so happy for Sue and was so sad when it was cut short so abruptly like that. I loved Matt's character and thought he was perfect with Sue. Seeing her with Darren gives me hope, though. I root for Sue more than any other character.

Generally not an Axl fan, but I do love seeing his interactions with Weird Ashley.

Tiger220

Tiger220

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

For some reason, the best and funniest part of this whole episode for me was Mike grabbing (and using) the meat fork for his ice cream. I don't usually LOL at sitcoms, but that moment just got me bad. Also, Sue and Darren are adorable -- I loved that they swapped roles for the photo at the dance. I'm still trying to interpret Axl's last look at Weird Ashley. I've heard it called resignation, but to me it was...kind of caring? Like, even though there were other people he wanted to go to prom with, he still didn't like seeing her sad. Though, it was a quick look, and maybe I'm giving Axl too much credit.

MelsW

MelsW

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

For some reason, the best and funniest part of this whole episode for me was Mike grabbing (and using) the meat fork for his ice cream.

I forgot about that part! I also liked the care giver interviewee drinking coffee out of that enormous glass boot.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I forgot about that part! I also liked the care giver interviewee drinking coffee out of that enormous glass boot.

I do love the prop comedy on this show. That whole sequence was hilarious although does that mean those dishes were sitting in the old machine since Christmas? I thought they started using the new one then even though it was sitting in the middle of the kitchen.

Another reason I'm enjoying this season more than ever is there are generally 2-3 subplots so even if I don't find one particularly amusing there is something playing out to laugh about. In response to Axl and Weird Ashley, I didn't see any real interest on his part. I took it more as the way he treats Sue. He's a genuinely kind guy and much as he thinks Sue/Ashley may be a dork it hurts him to see them hurt. I like that the show has made him so lovable without really changing his shallow self-centered side.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

I love Axl and hope he can find a girl he really likes (weird Ashley really needs a role playing gamer type as a boyfriend). Sometimes I wish the Hecks could be a little more interested in their lives though. This was Sue's first prom and most moms would be taking photos, helping her look at dresses etc., but Frankie seems to have little interest in her kids. Sometimes this is quite funny, but sometimes it veers into Malcolm in the Middle territory.

Loved the whole Aunt Edy plot but I wouldn't like the idea of those two old ladies smoking and potentially burning down the house.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:28 AM

Loved the whole Aunt Edy plot but I wouldn't like the idea of those two old ladies smoking and potentially burning down the house.

Especially with the dog's oxygen tank nearby. Yikes!

seals

seals

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Sometimes I wish the Hecks could be a little more interested in their lives though. This was Sue's first prom and most moms would be taking photos, helping her look at dresses etc., but Frankie seems to have little interest in her kids. Sometimes this is quite funny, but sometimes it veers into Malcolm in the Middle territory.

I just assume all that happened in off screen time. Probably because they couldn't come up with a way to make it funny. The kids don't seem scarred by neglect so they must get some attention, we just don't see it.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

I imagine Frankie and Sue shopping for a dress, and Frankie tries to get Sue to buy something less dorktastic, but Sue insists until Frankie bites her tongue and gives in. I don't know if it would be funny, but that's how I imagine it happening.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

They've already shown us Frankie & Sue shopping together when Sue went shopping for a two piece bathing suit. To me, there's a fine line between poor funny and poor sad. I have the feeling that although Sue would tackle it with her usual sunny optimism, prom dress shopping at the kind of store the Hecks could afford might be too far into the poor sad category.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Are you guys planning to buy the DVDs? I'm so torn on it: while this has definitely been my favorite season of the show so far, for some reason many of the episodes tend not to tempt me into multiple viewings. I watch the show, I usually love the show...but I don't usually keep thinking about the show and feel compelled to rewatch it. (And I'm generally the type of freakishly obsessive fan who watches my favorites a ridiculous number of times!) Does anyone know if they'll include nay extras? When I'm on the DVD-buying fence, that's often the deciding factor for me.

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

I own the first two seasons on dvd. I bought the first one because I picked up on the show after S1 had ended. The second season was on sale for $14.99. That being said, I rarely watch anything more than once these days. Even shows that I used to obsess over, like "The Office". Just seems like a waste of time.