The Middle

• Please log in to reply

3754 replies to this topic

myintermail

myintermail

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

I think the second episode is much better than the pilot. I think Francis' delivery is much more likable.

Oh Sue, trying out for everything that she would fail miserably at. Axel is slowly becoming less annoying. 5 feet proximity rule is hilarious, funny Axel didn't attempt to stray away from his parents.

Not feeling Brick at all. He's not as adorable as Dewey in Malcolm in the Middle. And yes, he'll get that comparison all the time.

Lynn44

Lynn44

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2009 @ 11:54 PM

Good news: The show was just picked up for the rest of the season (22 episodes)!

Thanks for sharing... I was hoping it would get a chance.

Edited by Lynn44, Oct 8, 2009 @ 11:56 PM.

Del Boca Vista

Del Boca Vista

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 10, 2009 @ 12:10 PM

I so much love this show, makes me laugh out loud! I never watched Malcolm in the Middle so I don't have that comparison to make. I just really love the characters and my friends and I agree that it is so funny because we can identify with the family on a lot of things. I very much agree with others who like the fact that the kids are not perfect sitcom kids. Can identify with the money struggles and the not being able to replace the broken dryer (at this time we have a 21 year old broken washer that we can't afford to replace that my husband tried to fix, bless his heart!). Nice also to see a family that does not have a perfect house, with the same types of issues a lot of us deal with that we can find humor in. Glad this was picked up for a full season!

2010misspriss

2010misspriss

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 12, 2009 @ 4:01 PM

I am loving this show! I was worried I wouldn't like it because Patricia Heaton would make me think of the Everybody Loves Raymond days and especially the gentleman that plays her husband (Mike I think) I wouldn't be able to get Scrubs out of my mind but yeah they are pulling it off nicely and this is a geniunly funny show!

snaggle

snaggle

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2009 @ 7:58 PM

On that note, who in the world names a child "Brick"... lol

In the pilot they said something to the effect that if you give your kid "cool" name thinking it would actually make them cool, it doesn't always work.

regardez

regardez

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 14, 2009 @ 1:59 AM

I expected not to like this show. I am not even the demographic it is aimed at (I am a 21 year old, single college student) but I found it all so funny!

I love the awkward teenage daughter, the 5 feet punishment for Axel was hilarious (him making out with the girl... "he drew her into the perimeter) and Brick's weird whispering. But of course, Patricia Heaton is the best. She is so good at being realistic and funny without giving you second hand embarrassment.

So glad it was picked up for a full season and also glad that in the front page poll 16% of people picked it as their favorite comedy.

skist

skist

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 14, 2009 @ 9:34 PM

Patricia Heaton is the worst. I can almost take the kids, their acting is OK, just the writing is bad. But in her case, both are bad - she's way over the top annoying.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 12:55 AM

I thought I would hate this show, but I like it a lot. I like that they aren't making working parenthood a breeze. You have to wonder how all those working parents on TV manage, and this show doesn't make it look easy. I also like that they aren't rolling in inexplicable amounts of money, and the kids are not all perfectly coiffed. It has enough fanciful stuff that they're not being grim, but enough reality that they're not being insultingly glib.

dogfish

dogfish

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 8:18 AM

they aren't making working parenthood a breeze

Their family situation, particularly their financial situation is much more believable than the family on Modern Family who live in an expensive house with no visible means of supporting that lifestyle.

MoeBee

MoeBee

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 9:55 AM

I think the actors playing the two younger kids are brilliant. They are such odd characters and they can really pull it off. The older son character seems to fit too neatly into the teenage-boy-as-clueless-dick stereotype.

myintermail

myintermail

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 10:11 AM

Episode 3 is decently better.

Sue can't really catch a break. Every time she tries to put her face forward, she humiliates herself. I would like to see her and her crush together if it is possible, that would be her silver lining.

Axel is growing on me, I think. As long as he won't act obnoxious all the time then yeah. Although I know for sure something is bound to be bad happening when Francis takes a 15 minute alone time, seeing it happening is amusing.

"Why didn't anyone thought about calling dad?"
"'Cos dad hates it when we call him at work"

Oh, stated as a matter of fact, but hilarious.

Axel: "Nobody wants to see that..."
Sue: "I think old people kissing is sweet..."

Sue's jab masked in a compliment. Heh.

Jr82

Jr82

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

Axel: "Nobody wants to see that..."
Sue: "I think old people kissing is sweet..."

The sad part is, it wasn't a jab on Sue's part. From what we know of Sue, it's right in character for her to say something like that and not realize it's a jab.

I don't know why but I was touched by the scene when Brick found Sue crying. He seemed to be sad to see she was crying. Also, that we didn't get the typical teenage freakout complete with yelling at Brick to get away.

This show is just clicking for me. I actually watch it before I watch Modern Family and Cougar Town. I didn't think that would be the case coming in. I just enjoy spending time with this family. No one is this group is one dimensional.

Brick is weird but not clueless.

Sue is clueless but not stupid. I also love that she isn't the typical teenage girl on t.v. full of hormones and mood swings.

Axel is a smart-ass but not a complete jerk. Also, i've noticed how much he doesn't really seem to mind being around his family. He even seemed to be really smiling when Kattan was breaking down Wife Swap.

Mom Heck is a little uptight but not completely shrill.

Dad Heck is does seem to care and come through for his family even seems like he doesn't care.

If i'm crazy for loving the show then lock me in a straight jacket right now.

Giuliani2008

Giuliani2008

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 10:59 AM

I agree with y'all about this show being terrific. Its not laugh out loud funny, but its very enjoyable and has a great heart.

I think the cast genuinely seems to like each other and it really shows in their chemistry. To me it reminds me of very early Roseanne years mixed with some Malcom in the Middle.

I hope it keeps getting better.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 11:54 AM

I'm really enjoying this so far. Enough insanity to make it funny, yet not so over the top that it's unrealistic. And a basset hound in an oxygen mask being wheeled around in a little red wagon? That's just priceless!

JustinCase

JustinCase

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 15, 2009 @ 7:01 PM

I have been pleasantly surprised at how consistently funny this show is. It feels good to laugh again! I only wish ABC had a better show to pair this with than "Hank."

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2009 @ 1:16 PM

I've finally sampled the new comedies and this is my favorite. It makes me laugh out loud, unlike say, Modern Family, which just makes me want to fast-forward. TM reminds me most of Aliens in America, rather than Malcolm in the Middle.

The teenage boy's boxer shorts make me chuckle--growing up, my friend's older brothers and my own college roommates just wandered around in boxer shorts.

Giuliani2008

Giuliani2008

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

Where did they find the actor that plays Brick? I honestly think that him and the actor that plays Manny on Modern Family deserve to be nominated for Best Actors in a comedy this year. They're hysterical. Brick's entire storyline with that girl was cracking me up - "I'll do any type of social interaction that you ask - just NOT with her!" Too funny.

Lynn44

Lynn44

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

Awwww poor Sue !!! She (and family) worked their butts off for that trip and then to have it all ruined. So glad she found her "Voice", she was just too meek for me.

Brick certainly had his hands full, wonder if that's how the younger ones are doing it these days, "You're my boyfriend". "Okay"....

Dad impressed me in this episode, he came across as a hands on parent and seemed to really care for his family.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 11:42 PM

I really love this show! At first I liked it, but now I'm willing to commit.

Loved the visual of Dad with the beer, teen with the soda, young kid with the juice.

Really, I loved both stories this week.

It grosses me out that Axl walks around in his underwear, though. Is that something teens do? It's not even like he's particularly cut. He doesn't seem to be showing off. It's weird, and kind of too much of a quirk for me.

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2009 @ 11:48 PM

Sue's postcards just cracked me up. "Coming home tomorrow. I can't believe how mad I am."
And Mike getting cowed by the little girl was great too. "How are you going to make me?" "Um. Brick, your girlfriend's here!"

smay

smay

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:45 AM

Loved this episode.

Brick and Sue had their storylines this week so I'm hoping next week they do Axl's. Loved Axl and Brick's conversation in the shower.

Something about this show makes me warm inside :)

myintermail

myintermail

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:40 AM

Loved the visual of Dad with the beer, teen with the soda, young kid with the juice.

I love that scene too, it is sort of a nice analogy there based on age groups, and a decent father and sons talk too.

Wow, Sue's on fire! Never knew the unlucky, unpopular girl had guts to be angry to her mother. It was a great plot twist that Frankie screwed up her trip.

Also, Love Brick's plot as well. Wow Olivia, that girl is demanding as hell.

I found it odd that Sue's friends actually remember her birthday, but forgets her NAME. Heh.

Axel's interaction with Brick is awesome. Funny that Axel did chase him off when he's in the shower, guess Brick does it all the time and Axel's used to it.

"There are only two thoughts in my head: Driving and Sex (then notices his father's look) No... I mean, driving and grades. Grades."

It grosses me out that Axl walks around in his underwear, though. Is that something teens do?

Well, Axel is perceived as a "nudist", guess that's the only quirk going on for him. I wonder why Olivia didn't freak out when he answers the door with only his boxers on.

Jer2002

Jer2002

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 10:01 AM

Great advice Axel, now I'm married and we have a baby! *Holds up doll by foot*

I love this show.

deltagamma

deltagamma

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 12:27 PM

Very funny and charming show. I enjoy all the characters.

It is also refreshing to see a TV family that is middle class, not rich. That is quite unusual these days, at least on the shows I see.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 12:40 PM

I also laughed at the crappy postcards, or at least the crappy postcard images of rundown hotels. Nice details, little show.

It grosses me out that Axl walks around in his underwear, though. Is that something teens do?

I wasn't kidding about the college roommates and friends' older brothers that just...never bothered to dress. I actually teased one roommate by calling him 'naked boy,' because he wore a towel more often than clothes. I attributed it to laziness and his growing up with multiple siblings.

I found it odd that Sue's friends actually remember her birthday, but forgets her NAME. Heh.

I figured they were classmates rather than friends, and the teacher made them sing. That scene also immediately reminded me of George Micheal's girlfriend Anne on Arrested Development, or "Who?" as she was often called.

Jr82

Jr82

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 9:51 PM

Man, i'm 27 years old but every since high school I do the same thing when I come home. I take off all my clothes except for my underwear and undershirt. If my parents are around I still do it. I have to wear clothes all day so when I get home I just want to be free. It's normal for guys to want to be that way. I've never seen someone be that lazy though.

I also love that Axel is so lazy that he washes using body wash with no wash cloth or anything like that. I've seen people do that with bars of soap but not with body wash. I never understood taking a shower without a wash cloth period though. That's just me.

I love this show to death. I noticed on hulu that they said they are only putting up the first six episodes of the show for promo use. I hope they keep streaming them. It's the only way I catch the show.

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2009 @ 10:22 PM

Oh, I liked this episode. Axl isn't as much of a jerk as we were led to believe. Mike and Brick connected. Poor Sue had another catastrophe.
I was half expecting Mike's mower to crap out, or go backwards or something just to undermine the relationship between Mike and Brick, but they avoided the cliche. As has been noted before, this is just a warm-hearted show that always makes me smile. There's not a nasty, mean-spirited bit in it -- which makes for a nice change of pace.

In other news, I'm beginning to wonder about the actor that plays Brick. Is he handicapped in some way? He moves really stiffly and I noticed that they don't do a lot of shots with him walking very much.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

Atticus Shaffer (Brick) has brittle bone disease and after breaking his legs several times, he's has had rods placed in his legs. I definitely noticed his movement tonight, but at the same time the different movement seems to fit the character somehow.

Lynn44

Lynn44

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2009 @ 11:28 PM

In other news, I'm beginning to wonder about the actor that plays Brick. Is he handicapped in some way? He moves really stiffly and I noticed that they don't do a lot of shots with him walking very much.

I noticed that too, I had no idea that he had a disease, just makes me love him all the more. He does a great job !

I like the way the cast is supportive of each other, especially the Mother, I got so tired of all the yelling and screaming in "Everybody Loves Raymond"... this show is much more calming to watch.

Edited by Lynn44, Oct 28, 2009 @ 11:32 PM.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2009 @ 12:29 AM

I loved how the mother was so focused on the jersey while Sue's sitting there telilng this huge catastrophe. She looked so "um, yeah, OK, right, racket to the face, honey, right.....so, Axl, I REALLY think you should get that jersey back." Meanwhile, Sue's story gets worse and worse ("and then my braces got caught in the net and the nurses had to cut me out with nail scissors.")