Erin: The Other Kelly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

27 replies to this topic

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 7:33 PM

I'm surprised there's no thread on the cute new receptionist.

I love the way she reacts so seriously and quickly whenever Dwight orders her to do something. Has she had any talking heads yet? I can't recall any.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 11:24 PM

I just love her. She's game for anything!

Jamnicity

Jamnicity

Couch Potato

• Interests:The Office, New Girl, The Wizard of Oz, Harry Potter, Purdue University, music (of most kinds), graphic design, books, pugs

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 2:51 PM

I think Erin is great and I hope she does stick around next season (also, because it's fun to hear my own name said on the show. "Yes, Office, you wanted me?")

I don't think she has had any THs yet.

Setlist

Setlist

Fanatic

• Interests:Indie rock music, skee ball, air hockey, and selling records.

Posted May 21, 2009 @ 4:10 PM

Introducing new characters is always a hit or miss, but I really love the character of Erin. There's definitely a lot of potential for her to freshen up the show a bit - I just really hope that the "Andy has a crush on her" plot dies down a bit, unless the writers are really smart about it and don't just want another office-pairing for possible ratings or drama.

The whole "her name is actually Kelly" quirk should have been dropped, I think. It was a very blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene that might confuse some people if it's ever even mentioned again.

ScarletBlue16

ScarletBlue16

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Sound, television, movies, blah blah blah...

Posted May 29, 2009 @ 1:12 AM

For anyone who reads the Scranton newsletter:

Am I the only one depressed by Erin's entry? I seriously wanted to give her a hug. Then clear my schedule to join her for every outing she suggested.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 3:21 PM

I really wish they kept in this deleted scene in "Mafia" about Erin and this one too!

Gladiola

Gladiola

Posted Oct 22, 2009 @ 8:57 AM

I think the moment Erin won me over was her adorable yell of "Booyeah!" after the Scranton team scored in "Company Picnic."

Matches

Matches

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2009 @ 12:06 AM

Erin IS adorable. She won my heart with her ridiculous dancing in Cafe Disco. "I like to swim!" What, Erin?

Her deleted scenes are always good fun - she's a strange girl. I'm terrified that they are going to force her into a relationship with Andy. I like those two characters the most right now, and don't want to see them screw them up.

Caroma

Caroma

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2009 @ 1:29 PM

I didn't think the actress was very good at first, but I realize she's playing a girl who is being bland and not showing much emotion yet.

Hmmmm...they cut the ruining the painting scene on the aired show but if you look there's something else on the wall. Is it Erin's sign "being cleaned" or something like a plaque? Gotta look again.

milhomie

milhomie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2009 @ 5:53 PM

Has she had a talking head yet? I'm really interested in what her real opinion of some of her co-workers is? Specifically Jim and Pam.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2009 @ 6:51 PM

According to her TH in the first deleted scene in Mafia, Erin doesn't have a beef with Pam. She's liked everyone she's ever met.

Edited by LizDC, Oct 23, 2009 @ 6:52 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 1:12 PM

Another great Erin scene that was deleted from "The Lover".

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2009 @ 3:45 PM

I was thinking last week that they really need to start giving her some personality, and it hit me that maybe being naive and eager-to-please is her thing. And then catching up on those deleted scenes, I can definitely see how that might be where they're going.

Edited by alexmarsz, Oct 24, 2009 @ 3:47 PM.

KedzieMatthews

KedzieMatthews

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2009 @ 10:53 AM

Poor Erin. Making an announcement about the candy may have been her way of letting these people know she wants to be their friend, but no one gave a damn. Nice.

I can see Pam becoming exasperated with Erin and her eager-to-please attitude, wanting her to stand up for herself and not be the office doormat, which is what she was for so very long. It would be interesting if Pam encouraged Erin to be more ballsy just as Jim encouraged her.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2009 @ 11:00 AM

I'm more of the opinion that Pam resents Erin a little because she seems perfectly happy being just a receptionist while Pam never was.

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2009 @ 8:24 PM

Interesting tidbit:

In a deleted scene from "Koi Pond", we get a peek at the whiteboard after more people have spoken up, and it has:

Erin
-------
Orphan

So I'm not sure what to do with that, but there's some character development.

Edited by alexmarsz, Nov 6, 2009 @ 8:26 PM.

ScarletBlue16

ScarletBlue16

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Sound, television, movies, blah blah blah...

Posted Nov 13, 2009 @ 8:34 PM

All her scenes get deleted. Not fair! The latest one from Murder is another sad one where someone picks on her. I'd really like this to not be a trend. She's really very sweet.

shel5

shel5

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:The Office, Duke Blue Devil Basketball, NFL Football (Giants, Bears), Nebraska Cornhuskers Volleyball and Football, Yankee Baseball, Comedy Movies, playing sports and games (doing anything competitive).

Posted Nov 16, 2009 @ 10:27 AM

Erin is a sweetie but is such an easy target. Poor thing is a total doormat, way worse than even Pam use to be. She obviously tries very hard...probably a little too hard. In fact, she is actually quite a bit like Andy when he first came when he tried to suck up to Michael and become his new best friend. Only, with Erin, she is trying really hard to get EVERYONE (not just Michael) to like her. I hope that all of the naive sweetness isn't going to add up to her snapping, going psycho and either turning into a bitch or getting herself fired (or put into Anger Management):).

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2009 @ 10:50 AM

In one of the Niagara deleted scenes we learn that she was born 4 months premature and didn't eat solid food until she was 6 years old.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Dec 17, 2009 @ 2:44 PM

I've been falling for this adorable girl for a while now, but I now officially love her - it was the declaration of Santa Phyllis as "so edgy!"

I really hate the trend of everyone picking on her. She's so harmless, it just seems too cruel to be funny. (And, hey, guys? Can we leave some of her scenes in now and then?)

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 3:41 PM

From the "Secretary's Day" thread:

I just think Erin's character is mixed up and stupid. To me (YMMV), the dark and twisted backstory makes no sense with her uber naive/sometimes moronic personality. Perhaps there's a psych major out there who can connect it for me.Perhaps there's a psych major out there who can connect it for me. I had to stop watching the episode when she did her "hair is my room" thing in the restaurant. How is she functioning in everyday society? I feel like she should have been institutionalized a long time ago. She's not what I want for my pal Andy so I can't on board with their relationship.

I'm not a psych major but it makes sense to me. Erin's way of dealing with life is to mostly be very positive. When she starts getting negative about things she deserves etc. she scolds herself (like when she seemed to feel like she was complaining by saying that she wished she had her own desk as a kid) I think because she won't allow herself to dwell on the things she wishes she had. That's also why she's always uber positive about everything she's given. I could easily imagine that as a defense mechanism for coping with a dark childhood--not the most common one, but one that could work, especially if being cheerful and happy made people more likely to keep her. Maybe her original parents and original home had taught her to be positive and expect the best so she clung to that in a more desperate way when she lost it all. She's like Pollyanna and it's kind of tragic.

And in general, she functions fine. A lot of people would have reacted far worse to finding out something that hurt them than the weird little physical tic she showed in the restaurant. I was watching a show recently, actually, where a real life person did something like that. Not that they put their hair in front of their face but they did another weird physical thing that looked a bit crazy and then sheepishly admitted that it was a childhood thing.

In a show that has shown some bizarre behavior I kind of loved the way Erin's seems to have a dark backstory and it's interesting that Michael of all people seems to be the main person who's picked up on it, that he sees her as weird when others see her as just naive and a little dim. I wouldn't be surprised if the actress who plays Erin knows exactly what buttons people push with Erin to get the reactions she does. They are sort of putting together a pattern. She really wants to do well at work and seems to take everything literally there. Now we know her last job was working at Taco Bell--she may be completely unfamiliar with office culture. She has huge issues with trusting people--given her background she might have some really painful memories of being betrayed that way.

Thinking back, it also probably connects to her not understanding Pam's advice to her. It comes across as if Erin's just being moronic again in thinking Pam's telling her her own problems about being unable to find a nice guy, but it could also be that Erin just automatically assumes Pam would be expecting sympathy for Erin rather than caring enough to try to make Erin feel better.

In case it's not obvious, I love Erin. I think it's completely bizarre that the show seems to have taken the cliche of the uber perky receptionist and made it into something weird and sad and sometimes disturbing.

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 5:08 PM

I agree. Erin's a great character, and I like that she's not just another Pam. Not that Pam is a "just Pam" either.

That's why I think that moment at the party is brilliant. How many times has Erin been dropped into a situation where people have complicated histories and relationships that she's expected to pick up on without any help? How weird is it to be in that situation when you're six, or seven? And have it happen again and again?

Author By Night

Author By Night

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2010 @ 5:22 PM

How many times has Erin been dropped into a situation where people have complicated histories and relationships that she's expected to pick up on without any help? How weird is it to be in that situation when you're six, or seven? And have it happen again and again?

That's actually an excellent point. Erin's finally found something consistent in her life, and she was reminded that it might not always be that way - after all, if Andy broke up with Angela, he could break up with her.

Maybe her original parents and original home had taught her to be positive and expect the best so she clung to that in a more desperate way when she lost it all. She's like Pollyanna and it's kind of tragic.

I think that's likely, in part because I've also seen that from people I know IRL, particularly one friend who reminds me of Erin to the point where they even make the same facial expressions. Erin's defense is to box herself into a little pink corner. I have to wonder if something similar didn't happen to Michael.

Edited by Author By Night, Apr 23, 2010 @ 5:22 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 3:56 PM

Thinking back, it also probably connects to her not understanding Pam's advice to her. It comes across as if Erin's just being moronic again in thinking Pam's telling her her own problems about being unable to find a nice guy, but it could also be that Erin just automatically assumes Pam would be expecting sympathy for Erin rather than caring enough to try to make Erin feel better.

That's a great analysis. I do think a lot of people who have really rough childhoods deal with it by being extremely positive. I love rewatching Erin's reaction to finding out Andy was engaged to Angela and her anger at the party.

Here's aninterview Ellie Kemper did at The Onion A.V. Club this week.

Edited by Limbonaut, Apr 24, 2010 @ 11:00 PM.

liquorice

liquorice

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 14, 2011 @ 8:03 AM

I currently find her the most irritating character on The Office. I found her endearing at first but then I thought they dragged out the whole "away with the fairies" way too far.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

I've been catching up with The Office and Erin's past makes complete sense with her personality as far as I'm concerned. I've met Erins. I think it's a very well done character. An observation I've had is often people with very rough backgrounds cope by going in the other direction - they're can-do, positive, refuse to be defeated, very cheerful, but there's a bit of an edge, and Erin sometimes has it. Maybe some read that edge as crazy. Whatever it's called, it's there.

It's almost like they need a specific marker between their experience, and who they are, and this is the marker - they become people who take a lot of responsibility, are willing to take blame, are willing to take more shit than they should, are willing to not let much bother them - anything other than to be dragged back where they came from.

It's a way to distinguish themselves, possibly, from a past among people who do none of those things, people who are irresponsible, possibly entitled, not resilient, not compassionate. There's no money, education, experience to distinguish themselves from a dark past, but attitude and presentation is always available.

As I see it, at her stage of life, Erin feels she can't afford to be other than how she is. All she's got to set her apart from her past and the people in her past is her attitude. I don't think it's unusual to scratch an Erin and find someone slightly more quick to judge (say, a Holly) and have this paradoxical thing of being a bit narrow but also letting more things slide than someone who feels a bit more entitled. It's just a rough balance someone like Erin is trying to strike. She's completely on her own, in the best job she's ever had, and she's certainly not going to behave like some Jerry Springer guest ... because her history has some of that in it and she's trying to draw the line. At the same time, she sees how some people behave, people who make less effort than she does, and she judges them.

Edited by WaltzinSpringTm, Feb 14, 2011 @ 10:52 PM.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

I've never been a fan I just find her tolerable. She's not that well written. Ok so she's an orphan so she's a Pollyanna? And since she's so positive and perky she's the odd ball in this gaggle of freaks? Saw that before on The Munsters and on the show with Jim and Pam. Whatever.

I do find her with Andy endearing but that was it.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 6:58 AM

I loved how Erin played the scene where she's basically feeling a sexual attraction to Pete, once he's down in the wifebeater while she's about to wash his hair off. Vey well-done.